What Happened

Bridging Gaps

Author's Note: Hey there. I'm sorry if it took some time for us to update, we got tons of schoolwork last week. Hope this long  chapter makes it up to you. :)

PS: This is a little heartbreaking. Just sayin'.

PPS: For those who haven't read breaking boundaries yet, I advise you to read it first.

--------------------

 

Krystal’s POV

 

I can’t believe it. I just can’t.

 

I aimlessly walked around Myeongdong, trying to absorb what happened last night. Amber, that dork, she just asked me to marry her. The thought of her sudden proposal made me hold on to the nearest post for balance, my breaths coming up too short, making my headache even worse.

 

Stupid Krystal, how can you do that to Amber? How can you reject her in front of everyone? Okay, it’s not a direct rejection. You said you’ll think about it. But how can you let her go again?

 

Yuri unnie told me earlier that Amber left for China first thing in the morning and now I’m lost, not knowing what to do. Should I wait for her again? Should I follow her there? But I couldn’t face her without a solid answer yet. I might only keep her hopes up and break her heart again.

 

Aish. Ottoke? Everyone’s disappointed with me right now and feels sorry for Amber. Whom should I ask for help? Even Jessica unnie isn’t talking to me because of what happened. But they don’t understand why I did that.*sigh* There’s only one person who would understand for sure.

 

I need to call Yunho oppa, he knows what to do.

 

I dialled his number and he answered on the fifth ring.

 

“Hey, Krys. What’s up?” he said on the other end.

 

“O-Oppa, you’re in Seoul right? C-Can you meet me right now?” I tried to stifle my sob but I failed, Yunho oppa heard it.

 

“Krystal, are you crying? What happened? Are you hurt?” he said, suddenly alarmed.

 

Yes, oppa. My heart hurts a lot.

 

“Can you meet me at the usual place?” I told him in between sniffs as I wiped my tears. I fervently prayed that Yunho oppa would say yes.

 

“Of course, I’ll be there in 10 minutes,” he said from the other line with evident worry in his voice.

 

“See you, oppa.”

 

I pressed the end call button as my wallpaper suddenly caught my eye. It was a picture of Amber, smiling stupidly at the camera as I leaned towards her cheek for a kiss. It was taken by the stupid dork herself during one of our dates in Busan after we got back together. We were blissfully happy while walking along Haeundae seashore, reminiscing how she asked me to be her girlfriend two years ago in that same place.

 

The dams broke and my tears just flowed down my face.

 

Damn you, Amber. Why do you always leave and make me cry?

 

I’ll follow you soon and take you back. I promise.

 

Yunho’s POV

 

What happened to her? Is it because of Amber again?

 

Being the overprotective oppa to my little cousin, I quickly grabbed my keys and hit the road right after the call. It’s been over a year since we last saw each other and she cried buckets over that Amber last time. If it’s about her again this time then I would absolutely hunt her down even if it takes to turn China upside down. I would assure that she wouldn’t see the sunrise ever again. Same thing goes for anyone who messes with my precious dongsaeng.

 

After beating several red lights, I finally managed to get to Myeongdong. I hopped out of my Aventador and barrelled through the crowd of the busy district, finding that little café behind a boutique that Krystal loves.

 

I remember buying her first dress at that boutique. It was a peach coloured Sunday dress that brought out the rosiness in her cheeks. She was so happy at that time,no worries and doubts.

 

I arrived at the baroque themed bistro and went inside, searching for the certain girl amongst the customers. She was sitting on the farthest corner of the café, red eyes and puffy cheeks.

 

Someone’s been crying.

 

“What happened?” I said as I quietly sat across her.

 

Krystal wiped her tears quickly when she noticed my presence. “Oh, Yunho oppa.” She sniffed and averted her eyes. “Nothing happened. I-I think it’s conjunctivitis,” she explained and immediately pulled a black Rayban shades to cover her eyes which made me raise an eyebrow.

 

Do you think I will fall for your lame excuses, Jung Soojung?

 

“C’mon, we’ve known each other since you were five, I know you in and out. Plus, I beat several red lights just to see you. What’s wrong, Krys? Tell me,” I asked her worriedly. Krystal isn’t the type who hides anything from me. This must be serious.

 

She let out a deep sigh and slowly removed her sunglasses to meet my eyes. Her swollen eyes were full of worries and confusion. “Oppa, Amber and I…we just got back together.” My eyebrows scrunched at her statement. Well, if they got back together, isn’t that good thing? God knows how much Krystal loves Amber and I’ve been praying all along for that idiot to hit her head and come back to my dongsaeng. Maybe their reunion made Krystal this emotional?

 

“Good for you then. I’m glad Amber found her way back to you though it’s so stupid of her to make you wait for two years. She should do something to make it up to you.” I took a sip of my Americano only to almost spit it out with Krystal’s next reply.

 

“Amber proposed to me.”

 

“W-w-what?”

 

“Please don’t make me say it again,” she said, her cheeks were glowing red. Krystal looked like a kid being teased in front of her crush. How cute. Amber is really lucky with my baby cousin.

 

“So what’s the problem with her proposing? Shouldn’t you be a little…I don’t know…happier?” I chuckled, while continuing drinking my coffee.

 

“Oppa, we’re too young. We’re both...you know. She’s my first girlfriend,” she rambled on.

 

“Krys—

 

I tried to stop her from rambling when people started looking at us.

 

“I mean, I know all our friends and Jessica unnie accepts us, but I’m still apprehensive. You know my parents, they won’t approve of my relationship with her. And I don’t know how marriage works, moreover a same- marriage!”

 

“Krys,” I tried once more.

 

“We agreed to take it slow! Is this slow? Marriage after what, two years? Oppa, I’m not ready for that kind of commitment!”

 

“Krystal,” I interrupted her. Little Jung doesn’t really know when to stop talking. She looked up at me, her eyes full of confusion and doubt.

 

“Oppa, I just don’t know what to answer her. I don’t want to break her heart...and mine too,” she said before letting out a deep sigh. Now I know how Jaejoong felt when I first proposed to him five years ago. He must have gone as crazy as Krystal is at the moment.

 

“So you haven’t given her the final answer, huh?” I asked. Krystal responded with a slight nod. It’s funny that she thinks like my husband. Well actually Jaejoong was harsher than her, he heartlessly rejected me right away but two days later, he changed his mind and we flew to the States to get married that same day. I snickered silently at the thought of him.

 

“What do you feel, Krys?”

 

“I love her, Oppa. She’s my happily ever after,” she said, her eyes glimmering with tears.

 

“Then there’s your answer.” I smiled at her before sipping my coffee once again.

 

“Oppaaaa...it’s not that simple!” Krystal whined and pouted.

 

Aigoo, I wonder if Jaejoong acted like this too when I proposed to him. *grins*

 

“Do you want to talk to Jaejoong about this? He’s the more emotional one between us.”

 

Jaejoong is definitely the more emotional one.

 

“Can you call him so we can meet right now? You’re right. Jaejoong oppa is better than you,” she said before sticking her tongue out.

 

“Fine, fine. But admit it or not, I’m still your most favourite oppa after all.” I fished my phone from my jacket pocket and started scrolling for Jaejoong’s name on my contacts. “Boojae...Boojae.”

 

“Oppa! You still call him that after being together for five years?” she said, embarrassed.

 

“So what? As if you don’t name Amber as ‘My Dorkyber’ on your phone,” I teased.  “And I forgot that little heart after her name. That’s just so cute, little Jung.” I laughed. Her blushing face was so funny. Finally finding Jae’s number, I pressed call.

 

And it rings. And rings.  And rings.

 

Weird, he usually answers after the first three rings.

 

I frowned and looked at my phone, checking if it was really Jaejoong whom I was calling. IT IS HIM. I continued waiting for him to answer. After ten rings, I gave up and was about to end the call when there was suddenly a noise from the other line.

 

“Jae?” I asked, obviously worried about the noise I heard.

 

“Seukkie, FASTER!”

“HARDER!”

 

Is that...Jaejoong?

 

I looked over at Krystal, my eyes widening in surprise. Her eyes widened too as we both heard the screams coming from my phone.

 

“I’m !” It was another man’s voice followed by a loud grunt.

 

My phone slipped off my hand and clattered on the floor, breaking the LCD screen. I was trembling, totally dumbfounded by what I just heard. Jaejoong with another guy?

 

“Oppa, what’s wrong? What happened?” Krystal asked, now alarmed.

 

“I-I’m sorry, Krystal. I need to go.” I stood up and stormed out of the café, leaving my little cousin. Krystal would understand for sure like how I understood her when she ran after Amber and left me in that Italian restaurant two years ago.

 

Taking the shortest route out, I drove away from the city with no particular destination in mind. My tears were flowing down uncontrollably, blurring my vision of the road in front of me.

 

Jaejoong, how could you? After five years of being married, how can you do this to me?! We were happy, but maybe…it was only me who was happy.

 

He was acting weird these past few months, returning late and tired from work every night. He kept complaining ‘My clients are demanding, they ask me to do everything for them. From the table décor to the gowns!’ and I would just hug him tight until he calms down.  I brushed it off since I trust him and I understand his work, but maybe I trusted him too much.  He started to form this wall against me, shutting me off everytime I ask him about his work.

 

FLASHBACK

 

I heard the front door opened, few male voices started talking.

 

“Jae, tomorrow again? I need to feel you,” the male voice said.

 

Feel him AGAIN? Is this jerk seducing my husband?

 

“Seuk! Not here. Just leave!” I heard Jaejoong whisper and shooed away the other guy.

 

I heard footsteps in the foyer and soon I saw the blonde man I love dearly. He sat beside me in our couch, hugging me tight. I embraced him back, smelling his hair.

 

Flowers. He’s still mine. He’s still my Boojae.

 

“How was your day, Yunnie?” Jae asked me as he snuggled his face in my arms.

 

“Fine, tiring as usual. How about yours?”

 

He just looked at me in the eye, as if telling me that he didn’t want to talk about it. I felt him slowly loosening himself from my embrace and he walked towards the shower.

 

I slumped back into the couch when I heard the water gushing down from the shower.

 

Who is Seuk? And what about feeling Boojae again?

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

I couldn’t look at his face anymore without thinking of what I heard, it’s too much. I love him with all of my heart, and he betrayed me just like that?

 

Stopping by the last bridge dividing Seoul and the countryside, I hopped of the car and walked weakly towards the railings. The strong wind crumpled my suit as I watched the deep freezing river under.

 

Oppa is sorry, Krystal. I guess I won’t be able to walk with you to the altar and see you in your wedding gown. I’m sorry, but let me be selfish this one last time.

 

And I flew.

 

Goodbye, Boojae. I love you.

 

Krystal’s POV

 

What did just happen? Did I just...hear Jaejoong-oppa...moan? Oh my god, is he cheating on my Yunho oppa with some other guy?!

 

*ring*

 

Yunho oppa’s phone vibrated against the cold hardwood floor. I picked up his phone only to find his cheater husband’s name registered on the screen.

 

“Yobeoseyo?” I hesitantly answered the phone.

 

You still have the nerve to call him after what you did!

 

“Yunnie are you there?!”A panicked Jaejoong oppa answered me.

 

“Uh, he’s not here. He just left,” I answered curtly.

 

And the line went dead.

 

I suddenly remembered Yunho oppa, he shouldn’t be driving in that state of mind. When I broke up with Amber for the first time, her mind was in a mess but drove after me and met an accident in Busan where she almost died. I couldn’t let the same thing happen to Yunho oppa.

 

You have to calm down, oppa. Let’s talk about this as usual. You said anything could be settled by a simple heart to heart conversation.

 

I hurriedly hailed a cab and instructed the driver to take me to Yunho oppa’s house in Jeolla province. Yes, he could be on his way there. Oppa is not the type of person who drowns himself in alcohol if something bad like this happens. He’s more likely to be found somewhere peaceful and quiet where he could cry his heart out.

 

Was that really Jaejoong oppa? How could he? They’ve been married for five years and this still happens? What if this happens to Amber and me after we get married? I sure as hell will be a stick-to-one wife. I’d rather die than see Amber with another woman, worse another man.

 

After a long and bumpy ride to Jeolla, the taxi halted in front of the Jung’s residence. I paid the driver the exact amount before hopping out of the cab and faced the huge mansion before me, feeling slightly intimidated.

 

I always forget that Yunho oppa is stinking rich and he’s still working as a model.

 

I pressed the doorbell and waited. Is anybody home?  I’ve been pushing the doorbell for five minutes but no one’s coming to open it up. Shall I go back to Seoul tonight then? Finally, the small door at the gates swung open, revealing an elderly woman wearing gloves covered with gochujang.

 

“Eomma!” I attacked the woman with a hug as if she was my own mother.

 

“Krystal, it’s been so long. Look at you, you’re now taller than me,” Jung eomma praised as we walked towards the mansion together. We talked a little bit about my studies and Jessica unnie’s until we arrived at the house’s luxurious living room.

 

“Eomma, what are you doing?” I asked her, pointing at the gloves she was wearing.

 

“Oh, I was just making some kimchi for Yunho to take back to Japan when he visits,” she replied. My smile turned into a frown when I remembered what happened earlier.

 

“Speaking of Yunho oppa, is he here Eomma?” I asked.

 

She looked at me, puzzled. “Why no. Why? Is there something wrong?”

 

“Well, you see…” I bit my lower lip as I looked around, trying to find the right words on how to explain what happened between Yunho oppa and his husband.

 

*dingdong*

 

I exchanged looks with Jung eomma. Who else could that be at this late hour? Maybe it’s Yunho oppa. I accompanied her outside and she opened the gate once more, this time revealing a tall brooding man in a police uniform.

 

“Oh, Taecyeon-ah! What brings you here?” Jung eomma asked, oblivious of the guy’s worried expression. He looked at me with eyes full of sadness. That’s when it hit me. Something’s wrong with Yunho oppa!

 

“Ahjumoni, it hurts me to bring you this news, but—

 

“No!” I tried to stop the tears from falling, but it was just too much.

 

This can’t be happening. He was just with me earlier. Oppaaaa!

 

“Yunho is dead, his body was found floating around Seomjin river. There were no signs of assault or explosion, his car is still intact,” he declared.

 

I looked at Jung eomma and the tears fell even harder. Her face was frozen, void of any emotion.

 

“Where is he?” she asked, surprisingly calm about it.

 

“His body is currently at Hankook University Hospital, let me take you there,” Taecyeon answered as he fished his keys from his pocket.

 

“Let me just get my keys and wallet,” she said before leaving for the house.

 

I cried even harder knowing how deeply wounded my aunt was but still keeping her calm in front of us. She knew very well that Yunho oppa wouldn’t want anyone suffer because of him especially his beloved mother. Jung eomma came back with a small bag and a container filled with her freshly made kimchi.

 

“Eomma, where are you taking that?” I asked her, pointing at the kimchi container.

 

“I’ll bring it to Yunho. It’s the least I can do,” she replied, her voice b with grief.

 

We were traveling back to Seoul as the rain started to pour. I looked at the raindrops splattering against the window, reminiscing what happened just a while ago. How could that Kim Jaejoong do this to my Yunho oppa who has been loyal to him all along? This is his entire fault!

 

I remembered Yunho oppa’s last piece of advice to me.

 

“Then there’s your answer.”

 

I sighed for the nth time today. There were just so many problems popping out of nowhere. I slightly remembered I haven’t slept a wink since last night. Maybe I really needed a break.

 

“Then there’s your answer.”

 

My eyelids drooped to a close as I fell into a deep slumber. 

 

 

 

 

 

There was blinding light in front of me, it was too bright as if the sun was just right there. I clenched my eyes shut, the brightness was overwhelming me.

 

“Krys, don’t give up, okay?”

 

“Yunho oppa, is that you? What happened?” I asked, fanning my hands around to feel him.

 

“Amber loves you, Krystal. Don’t give up on her,” he said with a sincere smile.

 

I kept reaching out for him until I finally felt his arms, the warmth of his embrace when suddenly I was pulled back into total darkness.

 

 

 

 

 

“Miss? Miss? Can you hear me? Are you alright?” I heard the deep voice of a man as I felt someone slightly shaking me.

 

“Miss, please speak if you can hear me!” It was a different voice, a woman’s this time.

 

“W-w-what?” I croaked.

 

“She’s alive! I need a medic here!”

 

I tried my best to open my eyes and found myself lying down at the back of the car. My eyes wandered frantically, looking around for any sign of someone familiar.

 

Where am I?

 

I felt throbbing pain on my head as two guys in nursing uniforms moved me out of the car’s backseat and transferred me on a stretcher. There were police cars around, a crowd was watching out of the ‘Do Not Cross’ line and an ambulance on standby. I could only feel my bed being ushered to the ambulance but each time I tried to move my hand to tap the medic, I failed.

 

I CAN’T MOVE.

 

The medics transferred me to the ambulance and it sped off. The attending doctor, I presumed, who was sitting beside me, looked at me with caution.

 

“Miss, do you know what happened?” he asked calmly.

 

I frowned. I couldn’t remember what happed nor why I was there at a car’s backseat.

 

“My name is K-K-Krystal.”

 

I was shocked by the sound of my voice. It was so raspy and hoarse, so unlike my clear and ringing voice. I started to flail around but I still wasn’t moving at all. I willed my hand to raise it but it didn’t. My eyes widened as it sinks in.

 

“You’re probably shocked, but please calm down. We’re almost at the hospital.” the doctor advised.

 

The doors of the ambulance opened and I was rushed into the emergency room. Several nurses attended me and I was subjected under striking bright lights. A once dull numbing started to spread all across my system from my wrist and my body started to feel heavy. Seconds later, my eyes drooped automatically.

 

 

 

 

 

“Her spinal cord is perfectly intact, no damage done. So we conclude that it’s trauma that’s causing her not to move. The brain activates this coping mechanism, especially when situations like this happen. You have to understand this, Miss Jung.”

 

“Don’t cry, Sica. Everything will be alright. Krystal will wake up soon. We’ll stay with her until she wakes up. Ssshh. Don’t cry.”

 

“I can’t lose my baby sister, Yul. I’d rather die than lose her.” I heard the familiar voice of my sister in between hiccups and sniffs. A hand touched my arm, the warmth radiating from that point. The feeling was very familiar, it was indeed my sister.

 

But who’s the Yul she was talking to?

 

Then a thick fog veiled my thoughts. As much as I wanted to respond but my mind lulled me back to sleep. So I fell once more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sobs, I heard someone sobbing.

 

Where is it coming from? I need to know.

 

I slowly opened my eyes, slightly blinded by the bright fluorescent lights. I looked sideways and found that certain blonde, crying on my bedside.

 

“U-Unnie,” I uttered as my hand reached out for her.

 

Jessica unnie flung back her head as soon as she heard me. “Krystal!” She immediately trapped me in her arms tightly, not letting me go. The look of relief that flashed across her face was priceless, more than winning the lottery or becoming president.

 

“U-Unnie, I can’t b-breathe,” I told her. She loosened up right away without letting me go as I felt her tears on my hospital gown. “Stop crying, unnie. I’m alive.”

 

Our little reunion was interrupted when the doctors rushed in to check my vital signs. They concluded that I was basically fine, just in dire need of rest and tender loving care. As soon as the doctors went out of the room, I asked Jessica unnie how I ended up in the hospital. I found out that I’ve been in a coma state for two weeks after the car I was riding slipped and bumped into a tree because of the torrential rain. She continued telling how Jung eomma and Taecyeon were barely unscathed, only with small bruises. She also explained why I was hurt the most. Apparently when we swerved, my side was hit by the tree so I caught most of the damage. She was starting to ramble on and on how nervous she was because I wasn’t waking up and I was getting paler by the day. I stopped her then and there.

 

I couldn’t remember anything about the accident. In fact, I couldn’t remember anything at all! “Who’s Taecyeon? And why am I traveling with a police officer and Jung eomma? Did I visit Yunho oppa there alone?” I asked, still confused of what happened.

 

Jessica unnie looked at me wide-eyed.

 

“K-Krystal, y-you really don’t remember anything?” she said in disbelief.

 

I just shook my head, completely clueless why my sister was reacting like that.

 

“How about Amber? Do you remember her?” she asked in a desperate tone.

 

“Amber? Who’s Amber?”

 

“Oh my god,” my sister mumbled as she took several steps back, slightly shaking her head. “Doctor! Somebody, please!” she called outside the door.

 

Hankook University Hospital?

 

Jung eomma and some police man?

 

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!

 

And who’s the Amber that unnie was talking about?