A New Family Tree

Brooklyn Boy

I continue to stand there, my hand still on my cheek as Bom is probably now long gone. I feel like a helpless, immature teenage boy, in disbelief that she just did what she did, but pleased that she did at the same time. Although it didn't help with my confusion, it's only making everything worse for me. I look down at my hand and see the rose that Aiya handed me, I'm reminded that I had the chance to hand it to her and completely forgot, for my own selfish reasons. 

My legs start moving forwards, towards the direction Bom had only left for a few moments ago. I turn the corner of the building, just as she did, gripping the rose a little tighter. The rain falls hard onto my skin once again, my legs move a little faster as I start my search for Bom, not realizing that she was probably busy and I could just give her the rose at home, when she returns. I begin stressing, not knowing which way she went, where she was off too. 

The rain turns to hail as I stand there, looking down at the rose, although it's nothing, I feel slightly hurt. I just want to give her the rose, and then I can find a place to buy a packet of the things that will be the death of me. I scan my eyes over the crowd of people once again, sighing as there is in fact no sign of Bom, anywhere. It was like she was there one second, and vanished the next, much like most girls have done in my past. 

I turn around, cars are now infecting the streets as I set out on a journey to find somewhere dry, to eat and buy a packet of ciggarettes. My hair is wet, my face covered in rain just as my clothes are, as I walk alone, I can't help but feel empty once again, I can't help but feel like I may be giving Bom the wrong idea, as I am in love with someone. Although maybe she'd want me to move on, maybe she wants me to be happy with another woman. I shake my head aggressively, not wanting to think about much at all. 

I have only walked a few steps and already I can smell the scent of warm, delicious food being prepared. I try to follow my nose, as the streets are becoming fogged. My nose leads me to a small family business, I step in right away, it's the elderly woman's resturant that had been kind enough to offer me her hospitality a few days before. 

She seems to remember me too as she stops what she's doing and rushes over to me, a big smile on her old, placid face. She wraps her arms around me, tightly. 

"Seunghyun, I thought I'd never see you again." Her voice is very low pitched for a woman as she releases her grip around me. I smile down at her, her height is very short as she just reaches to my chest. 

"I didn't know you owned a resturant." I smile at her as she leads me to a seat, encourging me to sit and eat her warm food. 

"Oh yes dear, me and my grandaughter." She smiles, raising her hand to a girl that somehow seems familiar to me. "Dear, this is-"

"Seunghyun." The girls speaks, raising her head and a look of fear in her eyes. It was then that I realized the girl I have been searching for, the one who bought me to this city, is right in front of my eyes. I can't help but notice how worn down she looks, her eyes have black circles under them, her lips are chapped, her skin pale, I can see her bones through her rather tight clothing. I can't breathe, I can't swallow the large amount of saliva forming in my mouth and throat, I become tense, not wanting to see her like this. 

"Yes." Her grandmother speaks, rather confused as to how we know each other since she only came back a few weeks ago. "How do you two know eachother?" She questions, looking at us both, much like she's at a tennis match, following the ball with her eyes. I can't speak as I grip the rose in my pocket harder, hoping for some sort of miracle. I never wanted to see her like this, although I couldn't take my eyes off her, and she seemed to notice that as she walked outside. 

I was bought back to reality by the door slamming behind her as she walked out onto the cold street, I stood up automatically, immediatly running after her, throwing a few dollars at the confused elderly woman. I opened the door hard, much like she did. My eyes search for her, I see her walking hastily away down the street, throwing her apron in the bin as she tries to escape the torture I must be. 

I reach her, wrapping my hand around her tiny wrist. She stops, everyone walking past looks at us, wondering what I did, why she is crying, what I'm about to apologize. Although I want to say something, I can't find the words to say, I can't find anything to say. My mind is running like crazy, she turns around slowly and looks up at me, pain and hurt in her eyes, much like a lost puppy.

"What are you doing here Seunghyun?" She snatches her wrist back, wiping her tears away and trying to seem a lot stronger than she is. I can answer that, all I have to do is tell her that I've been searching for her, and I'm a better man now. Although, the words still won't come out, I feel ashamed that I can't speak. "Seunghyun, answer me!" She slightly yelled, turning heads as people walked passed. I steadied my breathing, trying to calm myself down so that I could do as she said. 

"I came here to look for you." That's all I could say, I wanted to tell her so much more, but the words just wouldn't come out. 

"Well you found me, so what do you want?" She hissed back, crossing her arms, it almost makes me smile, remembering the way she would do that every time we had an argument. Even though she was nothing but bone, I still can't help myself, she is still the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. "You're wasting my time." She turned around and started walking away, although my automatic instinct was to grab her again, my large hand grabbed her shoulder and turned her body back to me. She rolled her eyes and sighed, cocking an eyebrow at me. 

"I'm sorry, it wasn't the right thing to do, showing up here uninvited. But you have no idea how much of a mess I was when you left, and I won't let that happen again. I just want to prove to you that I'm not the monster I was, I'm a human being now." Once the words started, I couldn't stop them, they came out like vomit. She uncrossed her arms and relaxed her face, meaning she was considering it. 

"Fine." Her tone was still low. 

"Really?" I was expecting to have to explain more of my actions to her, and was not expecting her to accept my offer as quickly as she did. She nodded at me and began walking back to her grandmother's resturant. I followed close behind. She took a step in and called out to the elderly woman. 

"I'll be back later, I'm going out for a bit." She explained, her grandmother's face lighting up as she hadn't heard those words since the day she came back. She walked back out and encouraged me to follow her. 

We walked around, and she seemed to be enjoying my company just as much as I was enjoying hers. Although I looked at the time, it was 2:30pm and I remembered that I have to pick Aiya up from school in half an hour. I'm not sure if I'm able to make it right on 3 o'clock to pick her up and meet her. 

"I'm sorry, I've got to go." I hesitate, not wanting to leave but I can't break my promise to the little girl that was the reason for my smile last night. 

"Really?" She sighed, not seeming to want me gone either. "Where are you going?" 

"I've got to go pick up a little friend from school." I called back as I started running towards the school, I looked back at the girl who was now back in my life, spending hours with her has really shown me why I came searching for her, and now that I have her, nothing will take her away from me again, nothing. 

-I arrive at the school at 5 past 3, Aiya isn't out yet as I arrive to the spot I promised her I'd be when she finished the day. Mother's from this morning stared at me once again, and new ones too. Kids ran out, feeling thankful that the day was over. Although Aiya walked out, slowly. Her face was glued to a rock that she was kicking with her bad ankle, I sighed and called out to her. Her face rose and lit up once she saw me standing there. She limped a little faster, trying her best to rush towards me. 

"Seunghyun." Her little voice broke as she cheered my name, wrapping her arms around me in a daughter-like state. I was getting used to her contact, her bubbly ways and her arms wrapping around my body. 

"Hello Aiya, did you have a good day?" I questioned as she let me go, linking her hand in mine as we walked down the path towards the cafe a few blocks down the road. I took note of the people questioning if I was her father, her older brother, or maybe a friend of her mother's, although none of them were right. I was still a complete stranger to her.

"Yes, I drew you a picture." She smiled as she handed me a piece of paper that was becoming drenched from the rain that was still falling, lightly. I looked at it, it seemed to be a family, a father, a mother and a daughter. Then I realized it was me, I was what was considered the father in the drawing, bom the mother and her the child. I quickly folded it up and took her backpack from her, putting it on my own shoulder, not caring how pink it was. 

"It's lovely Aiya." I smile as I place it back in her bag, not wanting it to get wet from the rain. She smiled and gasped, I smiled right after her, loving the feeling of love she gave me. 

"Do you think so?" Her voice was high pitched and seemed to be adoring to mother's ears as they continued to stare at us as we almost reached the end of the street. 

"It's amazing, you could be an aritst you know that?" I encourage her once again. She squealed as she let go of my hand, trying to keep her cool infront of me. 

"It was originally just Bom and me, but then I remembered that you're a part of our family now." She calmed herself down once again, wrapping her small hand back in mine. Her words hit me a lot harder than they should have, me, a part of a family? I always thought that I'd have to start my own family, but Aiya already considered me a part of hers. 

"What part do I play in your family?" I question, truly quite curious. She stops and thinks for a second, tapping her finger lightly on her chin. 

"The daddy, Bom is the mummy and I'm your adorable daughter." She smiled as she continued walking once again, I never thought I'd be considered a father to someone other than my own child, who I wasn't even sure still existed. 

We reached the cafe in silence, as no words were needed as she hummed me a beautiful song she learnt today. Aiya rushes in, eagerly awaiting for me to place out orders for two hot chocolates. She doesn't care about the other people waiting to order as she pushes in front of people. I smile and rush as I grip her wrist lightly, pulling her back and allowing the people to rightfully get their place in line. 

"Aiya, we have to wait until it's our turn. These people were here first, see?" I explain to her as nicely as I can, feeling everyone's eyes on the 'un-mannered man and little girl.' The couple who she pushed in front of smile down at us as Aiya's big, brown eyes look up at them. 

"Oh, sorry. I didn't see you." She felt slightly ashamed, although she did nothing wrong. 

"No, it's alright sweetie. Would you like to go first?" The woman spoke, her voice kind as she offered for us to go ahead of her. Aiya looks at me, wondering if she's allowed too. 

"No, no, you go first. We can wait." I reply politely back to the couple. The man shakes his head and laughs lightly.

"Nonsense, she's more important than we are." He smiles at me, encouraging me to take their offer. I bow to them and step in front, linking my hand in Aiya's once again. She is jumping slightly, feeling very excited for her hot chocolate. 

"Thank you so much." I say to the couple now behind us.

"Oh it's alright, your daughter is very beautiful." They smile at me, not knowing that I am not her father, there has seemed to be a lot of confusion with our situation today. "How old is she?" 

"8 years old." I reply, not feeling it in my heart to tell them that I'm not infact her father, as then I would have to explain who I am to these people, and I'm not sure they would want to listen. We step up to the register, I order our drinks and we walk back outside, setting out on a journey to the park I promised Aiya we would go to after school. When we arrive there are a few other kids there, as today probably isn't the best day to bring your child to the park, but I never break a promise, especially to a child. 

Aiya runs off, finishing her hot chocolate and handing me the empty cup, I watch her do her own thing, by herself, but looking happy as she does so. I think to how beautiful it would be to bring my own child here, the nice green grass, the toys around, the dogs running just as freely as the kids. I take another sip of my hot chocolate, pulling out a ciggarette from the newly, unopened packet I bought on my little catch up a few hours ago. 

The feeling as I take the first drag is amazing, an automatic headspin. Someone sits beside me, I look over and see none other than the beautiful face of Bom once more. She is smiling in Aiya's direction, admiring the fact that she has someone looking after her while she's not able too. 

"Bom, before I forget." I start immediatly, reaching for the rose in my pocket. I pull it out as she looks at me, the petals have all fallen off, I sigh in disbelief, not knowing how this happened to it. 

"Did you try to pick me some flowers Seunghyun?" She smiled, teasing me once more. I look at her, confused and shyly. 

"No, Aiya did this morning." I smiled back, I could truly get used to seeing her face, seeing her smile, having her teasing me everyday. Bom takes the remains of the rose and hold them, still smiling. 

"I don't believe you." She looked up at me again. I rolled my eyes and went back to relaxing, taking another drag of the stress relieving death stick and another sip of the warm hot chocolate. Bom began shivering slightly as she looked back out at Aiya. I looked at her, in pity, handing her my hot chocolate.

"Here, have this." My tone is rather sweet. She looks at the hot chocolate and tries to deny my offer. "Bom, I used your money to get this, so have it. I'm warm enough already." I say, a little serious. She smiles at me as she takes the drink from my hand, her fingers lightly scraping mine. 

The rain starts picking up again, although this time with thunder. Bom stands up and calls out to Aiya, demanding that we all return safely home. Aiya sighs and walks towards us, dragging her feet to slow herself down. 

"Aiya, you have 10 seconds to get here, or you're in big trouble missy!" Bom calls out. Aiya sticks her tongue out as she takes slower steps towards her demanding, beautiful older sister. 

"Come on Aiya, hurry. Bom's getting a little scared of the thunder." I tease, calling out to Aiya as I stand up. Bom glares at me while hitting my arm lightly, a small, sharp pain runs through it. Aiya returns to us, we start walking home immediatly. 

"Hey, that's not your hot chocolate Bom." Aiya accuses, noticing that her sister is holding the drink that was once mine. 

"I know, but Seunghyun was nice enough to give it to me." Bom explained, wrapping her arm around her little sister's head, pushing her into her thigh as she looked up at me. Aiya's head raised up, looking at the two of our eyes on eachother, aweing. 

"Just get married." Aiya sighed as she sped her walking speed up a little, a few steps in front of us. I could feel myself blushing once again, Bom too. 

"Ignore her Seunghyun, she wants me to get married and give her a little niece." Bom laughed lightly, slightly uncomfortably. I look at her, her words of what seemed to be comfort weren't very comforting to me, I coughed once again, trying to remain looking like a man and not some teenage boy. 

"No, that's not true Bom. You like him, as him out." Aiya called out, smiling a cheeky smile. The blush went from me to Bom as her cheeks went a brighter shade of pink than mine were a few seconds before. "You told me you thought he was handsome and very attractive last night." I smirked devilshly at Bom, her face now tense and awkward. 

"You're such a little liar." Bom tried defending herself, although I could tell Aiya was telling the truth. I didn't say a word, I didn't know what to say to try to comfort her. Because I too think she is very beautiful, and I'd be lying to myself if I said I wasn't attracted to her, even the slightest bit. 

A loud strike of lightening rang through the sky, Bom latched her body onto mine, holding onto my arm tight as a small wimper left her lips. I look down at her scared face, Aiya was scared of the dark, Bom is scared of storms, and I want to protect them both from their fears. I wrap my arm around Bom, trying to protect her from the rain and the sound of the weather, Aiya enjoying the rain ahead of us. 

We arrive home, all 3 of us covered in rain, we arrive home just as the sun was setting. I allowed Bom to grip my body everytime she was scared, and allowed Aiya to hold my hand as the sun began going down. Her little legs ached as we stepped into the dry house, switching the lights on as Bom headed for the shower. 

The water starts running, I can't help but wonder if what Aiya said earlier is true. I sit down next to her on the couch, trying to gather my words.

"It's true Seunghyun, she does think you're attractive." She smiled up at me, knowing what I was thinking. "Do you think she's pretty, or am I still prettier?" Her tone was serious as she turned her body towards mine, narrowing her eyebrows. I had to think for a second, wondering if I should confess my sudden attraction to a little girl, especially about her older sister, and especially since I just found the woman I was missing for months.