Chapter 11

What Exactly Am I to You?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hyukkie ah, I guess there's no other way to say this," Donghae began with Leeteuk's words ringing at the back of his head.

Donghae started fiddling with his thumbs, feeling his anxiety play up once again. He inhaled deeply, hoping it would calm some of his nerves. Hyukjae looked on at his best friend with concern and confusion in his eyes.

“You ok Hae?” a warm palm was placed over the twiddling thumbs.

Dark brown met lighter ones as anxiety filled the air.

“I love you Hyuk,” Donghae began.

Hyukjae’s face depicted that of fondness as he smiled endearingly back at Donghae,”I love you too.”

Donghae quickly removed his hands from Hyukjae, taking a moment to compose himself before explaining his words.

“Hyukjae, I don’t mean the type of love between friends or brothers…” Donghae trailed off as he bit his lips, awaiting his best friend’s reaction.

“Oh…” the one worded response came from the brunette as he donned a blank unreadable expression.

Noticing this, Donghae resumed his task of exercising his fingers as he patiently waited for Hyukjae to continue speaking. It was evident that his point had been effectively put across. He could understand Hyukjae’s predicament, it must be shocking to have your best friend of nine years suddenly confess to you out of the blue. Situation is even more complicated when you have been sleeping with this said person in between girlfriends.

“This is awkward…” Hyukjae started.

“Donghae I don’t know how else best to say this but, I don’t feel the same way,” Hyukjae reached out for Donghae’s trembling hands as he kneeled in front of his best friend, forcing an eye contact from the lowered head.

I don’t feel the same way.

Every word struck Donghae’s heart like a dagger. Yes they were never official and Donghae never knew Hyukjae’s feelings; he could only ponder. But now, the answer was clear and it was a negative one. Donghae instantly regretted confessing. Before this, Donghae could at least imagine; imagine that those kisses, those hugs and those actions of were all part of Hyukjae’s way of expressing his love.

“I love you Hae, just not the way you want me to.”

Not the way you want me to.

Donghae was already in tears at that point, removing his hands from Hyukjae to bury his face in his palms as loud sobs escaped his body.

“I’m sorry Donghae,” a hand was placed on the shoulder of the broken one as a means of comfort.

That did not seem to pacify Donghae as he slapped Hyukjae’s arm away, standing up and glaring straight back at him with a tear-stricken face.

“Why?” the golden question was thrown out.

Hyukjae’s facial expression faltered for a few seconds before his lips started turning upwards.

“You’re asking me why? I should be the one asking you that question. Why should I love you?”

Donghae froze in disbelief; this wasn’t the Hyukjae he knew. He shook his head vigorously, refusing to trust his senses as he pulled away from Hyukjae slowly.

“Did you think those nights meant something Hae? Did you think I slept with you because I loved you? A hole is a hole, Hae. I would never reject ; especially one so willing and so tight.”

Donghae was finding it hard to breathe by now, as he backed away from Hyukjae’s slow advances. Neither of them even realised that the shorter was blindly heading towards danger in the form of a low curb lining the edge of the rooftop.

“You will always be just a toy to me,” Hyukjae continued and Donghae could see an evil black aura surrounding his ex-best friend. This wasn’t Hyukjae; Donghae was sure.

“No Hyukjae…” Donghae mumbled the name for the last time before both males sported a look of horror as the ill-fated individual stumbled on the curb, plunging to his death.

“Donghae! Donghae!....”

Hyukjae’s frightened screams were the last thing he heard before….

“Donghae! Donghae! Donghae wake up!”

I felt someone shake me by my shoulders as I gradually opened my eyes. The angelic face of Leeteuk greeted me, making me believe I had died and gone to heaven.

“You were dreaming,” Leeteuk stated; dispelling my illusion.

I was dreaming? I took a look at my surroundings, seeing the sunlight pour in and my familiar blue Nemo bed sheets. It was indeed just a nightmare but it did not fail to make my heart race.

“Leeteuk-hyung, I don’t think I can do this.”

“Hae, you can do this. You have to do this. What happened?”

“I dreamt that Hyukjae didn’t feel the same way…he…he was so mean hyung…” I broke down into sniffles.

“Hae, it was just a dream,” Leeteuk consoled me as he hugged me and rubbed my back in an attempt to calm my nerves.

Leeteuk wiped my tears with his thumb as he cupped my cheek.

“Go wash-up Hae, it’ll be fine. I promise.”

I obeyed his command as I let my distress be washed away by the hot shower. Looking at myself in the mirror, I took a deep breath and summoned all my courage. I decided that it was time to face my fears, dispel my questions and hopefully get my man.

"Hey old man you're late. If you can’t get up so early don’t make appointments in the morning."

I kept silent as I closed the door leading to our rooftop behind me, catching Hyukjae’s attention and making him turn towards my direction.

“Hae? Where’s Teuk-hyung?” I could tell that he was surprised to see me.

The lump in my throat made it hard for me to respond so I kept quiet; avoiding Hyukjae’s eyes. Flashes of my nightmare came back to haunt me and unconsciously, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter