Scene 18

$1,000,000 USD Love!

Kai's face contorted with anger as he ground his teeth together, the veins in his neck pulsing with the effort of holding back his fury. His eyes, once warm and inviting, now blazed with a fiery intensity that bore into Moonji's soul. The room seemed to shrink in the wake of their escalating emotions, and the air grew heavy with tension.

In contrast, Moonji's face was a chaotic canvas of emotions. Tears streamed down her cheeks, mascara smudged and makeup ruined, but she didn't care about her appearance in that moment. She looked at Kai with wide, pleading eyes, her lips trembling as she sobbed openly. Her vulnerability was palpable, her heartache etched into every feature of her face.

"Please, Kai, listen to me for a while," she begged, her voice strained with desperation and raw emotion.

But Kai's pride was a formidable wall that he refused to let crumble. "Just let go of me!" he roared his voice a thunderous tempest that reverberated through the room. "Why are you crying? I'm the one who should be upset; you've betrayed me!"

With a sudden surge of determination, Moonji fought to keep her grip on Kai's hand. She shook her head, her voice quaking as she tried to make him understand. "No, I never betrayed you," she declared, her voice a fragile whisper amidst the storm raging around them. "I love you with all my heart, even though I shouldn't have fallen in love with you."

Kai's anger flared, and his icy glare bore into Moonji's teary eyes. "I pay you just to be my girlfriend," he spat, his words a sharp rebuke that hung heavily in the charged air. "I didn't ask you to fall in love with me. You've failed me."

As if in defiance of his words, Kai surged forward, crushing his lips passionately against Moonji's, his fierce desire and frustration culminating in the kiss. He pinned her against the wall with a hunger that bordered on desperation, their bodies pressed together, their hearts pounding in unison. The room seemed to spin as their lips moved with a fiery intensity, their tongues entwined in a battle of emotions and desires.

But Moonji, stunned by the sudden intensity of the kiss, pushed Kai away, her hands trembling as she wiped her lips with the back of her hand. "What are you doing, Kim Jongin?!" she cried, her voice a mix of shock, confusion, and anger. They stood apart, the room seemingly charged with the electricity of their emotions. Their chests heaved with the intensity of the moment, and they were left to grapple with the consequences of their impulsive actions. The surroundings bore witness to their inner turmoil, the room an intimate witness to their complex emotions.

"Sleep with me tonight. I'll pay you." Kai's face twisted into a sardonic smirk, the corners of his lips curling with a touch of condescension. His eyes bore into Moonji's, a fiery mix of frustration and resignation brewing within him. The room seemed to hold its breath, tense and charged with unspoken words, as Moonji found herself momentarily at a loss for a response. Her heart raced, caught in the throes of this emotional turmoil.

"You think that I love you because of your money?" Moonji's voice quivered with incredulity as she raised a sceptical eyebrow, her eyes fixed unwaveringly on Kai. There was a tempest of emotions swirling beneath the surface, a turbulent sea threatening to drown them both.

Kai's response was delivered with chilling detachment, his words laced with a bitterness that cut through the room's charged atmosphere. "Yes," he retorted coldly, maintaining his unwavering gaze on Moonji. "Just leave me alone, Ra Moonji. There's no reason for me to keep you by my side anymore." His words hung in the air, heavy with finality.

As the seconds ticked by, the tension in the room began to ebb away, leaving behind a disconcerting calm. Moonji's smile, though strained, remained in place, a fragile facade concealing the turmoil beneath.

"You don't love me?" Moonji's voice wavered, and she looked at Kai with a mixture of sadness and resignation. Her smile, once defiant, now carried a hint of sorrow as she sought answers in Kai's unyielding gaze.

Kai's response was unflinching, his eyes betraying nothing of the internal struggle within him. "I'm sorry," he replied honestly, his voice devoid of emotion. "No, I don't love you."

As Moonji let out a brittle, humourless laugh, the room seemed to bear witness to the fracture in their relationship. She gathered her belongings, her small backpack a symbol of her readiness to leave behind the pain and confusion that had engulfed them. The room retained the echoes of their bitter exchange, a stark reminder of the emotional maelstrom that had consumed them both.

His jaw was clenched, teeth grinding together as he fought to contain the storm raging within him. He couldn't bear to look at Moonji any longer, not after the image of her holding hands with Baekhyun had seared into his mind.

"Don't ever dare to appear in front of me," Kai muttered flatly as Moonji took her stuff and put it in her backpack. Moonji remained silent and just walked out the door. It stung Kai like a harsh truth. She offered a simple "Bye, Kai," as if it were a casual parting between acquaintances. He nodded his expression, a blend of resignation and lingering pain, and walked her to the elevator.

Watching her cry and sob as the doors closed felt like salt in his wounds. His eyes were drawn to her injured hand, but the words to ask about it remained lodged in his throat. The elevator carried her away, and Kai stood alone, feeling the void left in her absence.

Turning away, he retreated to her room, a place that had once been a sanctuary for them but now held the remnants of their memories. "It guess it's time to say goodbye, Ra Moonji," He sighed as he locked the door of her room. 

As Kai locked the door, a familiar voice echoed in the penthouse. Baekhyun's arrival disrupted the stillness, and Kai's heart ached with a sense of déjà vu, realizing that the consequences of this fight would ripple through all aspects of his life.

"Hey Baekhyun, why are you here?" Kai's voice held a hint of exhaustion, inviting his friend to sit beside him. Baekhyun, usually full of jovial energy, seemed subdued as he took a seat and looked at Kai with a mix of concern and understanding.

"I'm afraid that you might do something stupid," Baekhyun confessed, his gaze fixed on Kai's troubled expression. The words hung heavily in the air, emphasizing the gravity of the situation.

Kai couldn't help but offer a sarcastic smile in response, a defence mechanism to shield himself from the raw emotions bubbling beneath the surface. "Like what?" His voice dripped with bitterness as he challenged the notion.

"Nothing. Just. You knew Moonji would never betray you even in a thousand years." Baekhyun responded with a comforting hug around Kai's stiff shoulders, a gesture that carried the weight of their long-standing friendship. Kai couldn't deny that Baekhyun had always been a constant in his life.

"You knew Moonji better than me," Kai conceded, his voice tinged with sarcasm, concealing the complexity of his own emotion. 

"Her right hand was burnt. I put some ointment on it, and nothing happens." Baekhyun sighed and stood up. Kai cursed himself, and he should have asked her why she didn't eat her food just now. He should have asked why she held her chopstick differently. He should have asked if she was okay preparing the dinner alone. He should have asked why her food didn't turn fantastic like it always is.

"How about Lee Dasom?"

The mention of Dasom had been a source of tension between them, but now Baekhyun was addressing it head-on.

"I broke up with her while Moonji was hospitalized," Baekhyun admitted, his voice carrying a weight of truth. It was a confession that laid bare the complexities of his own romantic entanglements. He had navigated the turbulent waters of his relationship with Dasom and, in the process, had seen it dissolve.

The room around them remained silent, the air heavy with unspoken words and a shared understanding that some things couldn't be mended. Kai's thoughts raced as he processed this revelation. It was a stark reminder that relationships were fragile, and sometimes, no matter how hard one tried, they couldn't be salvaged.

Baekhyun's next words carried an earnest sincerity that couldn't be ignored. "My relationship with Dasom was over because of me and Dasom. No third party in between." He clarified, dispelling any notions of infidelity that might have lingered in the air. The rumours and accusations that had swirled around him were, it seemed, unfounded.

Kai's defences slowly crumbled as he listened to his friend. He had let suspicion and jealousy cloud his judgment, and now he was confronted with the truth. Baekhyun had never intended to harm their friendship or his relationship with Dasom.

"What people have talked about..." Baekhyun began, his voice carrying the weight of misunderstanding and miscommunication. "...that I followed her around and flirted with her, it was because I was teasing her, nothing more." He explained a hint of exasperation in his tone. Kai realized that his own insecurities had fed into the rumors, creating a rift between them that shouldn't have existed.

Baekhyun's final words were an apology that hung in the air, "I am sorry if I destroyed your relationship without my intention," Baekhyun confessed, his eyes reflecting genuine regret. At that moment, Kai felt a wave of relief wash over him. The truth had been laid bare, and it was a truth that allowed him to reevaluate his actions and emotions. He hadn't lost his friend or his relationship with Dasom to deceit or betrayal. It had been a misunderstanding,

"I am sorry for doubting you," Kai spoke sincerely, standing up and enveloping Baekhyun in a warm, heartfelt hug. It was a gesture of reconciliation and a silent acknowledgement of the friendship that had endured their recent trials.

Baekhyun returned the embrace, a small smile gracing his lips. "Where is she? Make it up with her," he suggested, his tone carrying the wisdom of someone who had navigated the complexities of relationships and misunderstandings.

Kai's smile wavered, a pang of regret coursing through him. He knew he couldn't simply turn back time and erase his harsh words and actions. "I asked her to leave," he admitted, his voice laced with a hint of longing. He wished he could undo the hurt he had caused, but pride had kept him from taking that step.

Baekhyun watched his friend, a knowing look in his eyes. He could see the conflict within Kai, the desire to make amends warring with the stubbornness that was characteristic of his friend. "You could always ask her to come," Baekhyun suggested with a playful chuckle, knowing Kai's tendencies all too well.

Kai chuckled in response, a mixture of exasperation and amusement. "You knew me, Baekkie," he admitted. 

"Urgh! You and your ego!" Baekhyun playfully teased, keeping Kai company in their shared moment of vulnerability. He recognized that beneath Kai's bravado and pride, there was a heart that cared deeply, a heart that the recent events had wounded.