Just like old times

Project: L i f e

June 22nd, 1930

 

-Doohong POV-

The plane ratteled and grunted as it began it's descent over the island, Doohong took in it's beauty. The crystal blue water, the tropical greenery, and the massive port that hustled and bustled with little ant size people. They landed on a small strip on the east side of the island, Doohong waited for the propellor to stop moving before removing his earmuffs and goggles as he hopped out of the plane. "Thanks again for the lift Alistair." Doohong said as he gave his friend a firm handshake and hug. "Anytime mate, ring me and i'll be there." he said with his thick British accent. Alistair and Doohong had met in Harvard at a pub, before long they became fast friends. They were polar opposites but somehow complimented eachother well. Alistair was a tall, lanky brunette with crystal blue eyes, and was training to become a pilot for the British Airforce. Whereas Doohong was a thin but muscular Korean who was studying to become a scientist, get a medical degree and a inventing license. They traded off talents to one another, when Alistair needed help with mathematics and science Doohong would help him study and in return Alistair would show and explain mechanics to Doohong. Before they knew it they both graduated and went their seperate ways, but still wrote to one another often. "I'm sure she will get better soon mate." Alistair said with concern in his eyes, but they both knew the truth she was declining fast and Doohong was the only one who might be able to do something. "Thanks." Doohong said with a nod as he picked up his suitcase, he gave a final wave over his shoulder as he crossed the lot toward the cab.

The smell hit him like a flood, his nose and throat burned from the antiseptic, he felt his stomach clench at the stench of the ill, and bedpans that hadn't been changed. He took out his handkerchief and covered his mouth and nose as he quickly made his way to the stairwell of the old hospital building. As many times as he had been to this hospital he never got used to it. He breathed a sigh of relief when he reached the top floor, the conditions were much better and cleaner, of course with that came a cost. Doohong had shed out over a thousand dollars in the last year for Hannah to stay there, but he had no other choice if exposed to unpleasent enviroments it could harm her and the baby. He slowly walked down the hall as nurses and orderlies nodded at him. "How are you today Mr. Jung?" a few would ask but Doohong just nodded and moved on. Finally he reached the 12th door on the right side, he quietly walked in the room and paused in the doorway looking at his wife. Hannah had lost quite a bit of weight, her belly very noticeable next to her thin appendages. She was staring out the window her head rested on her pillow. "Annyeong Yeppeo." Doohong said softly. Hannah turned her head slightly and smiled, "Doohong..." she whispered. He walked over to her and removed a boquet of flowers from behind his back, Hannah's eyes grew wide and she let out a small laugh, "Oh, Carnations my favourite." she said as she brought them to her nose and inhaled their sweet aroma. "Oppa you sure know how to win a girl over." Hannah said giving him sparkly eyes. Doohong coughed and looked away he felt heat rise to his cheeks, "I'm 30 and you still call me oppa." he said almost as a laugh. Hannah giggled, "Well i'm still 27 so it's ok." she said as she stuck out her tounge. Doohong smiled it was the liveliest he'd seen Hannah in a while, he wondered how long it would last. "OH!" Hannah let out a gasp and clutched her stomach. "What is it!" Doohong exclaimed nearly jumping out of his chair. "I felt the baby."she exclaimed eyes watering. Doohong just stood there in shock, they hadnt felt any signs of life from the baby even though it had already been 6 months. Hannah grasped Doohongs handand brought it to her belly, he felt little kicks against his hand, he began to laugh in amazement. "I can't believe it!" he practically shouted. "Is everything okay sir?" a nurse asked as she poked her head through the door. "Okay? Everythings fantastic!" he exclaimed, the nurse smiled confused and left. "This is great news!" he said as he kissed Hannah on the cheek. "I'm going to make some more arrangements with my contacts and everything will be perfect." he said. Hannah had no idea what he was talking about but just laughed and nodded. "I'll call you when I get to Busan." he said as he grabbed his jacket and suitcase. "Alright." she said as she waved. "Goodness Minhyuk, Appa's always on the move I hope you'll be Umma's boy." she said affectionately as she her stomach. She felt another kick as if almost in response, "Good!" she said with a giggle.

 

Will post another chapter when I get home :) Sorry for the long wait!