New Blood

Order of the Wolf

Hansol yawned and sat up in bed.  It had been a week since the dance, and Hansol was relieved that the Knights were off campus to attend Jin’s funeral.

 

“Morning,” Xero said as he stood up and stretched.

 

“Morning Xero.  How are you gonna spend your Saturday?” Hansol asked.

 

“Well I was gonna hang with the guys at the hideout, wanna join us?” Xero replied, grabbing a towel for a shower.

 

“Sure,” Hansol said, climbing down from his bunk.  The two of them showered and got dressed before heading to the hideout.  They were almost off campus when their phones beeped.

 

“It’s from Sehyuk… he wants us to come to him and Sangdo’s dorm,” Xero said.

 

“I wonder what’s going on,” Hansol said to himself.  He and Xero rushed to the dorm and knocked on the door.  Sehyuk answered it and sighed in relief.

 

“Finally, come in,” he said.  The floor was covered in empty pizza boxes and fast food wrappers. Hojoon and Byungjoo were there and there was also a guy sitting on the bottom bunk.  His arm was covered in tattoos and he had heavily pierced ears.

 

“Who’s he?” Xero asked, almost taking the words from Hansol’s mouth.

 

“Now that all the wizards are here we can discuss this.  This is Jiwon… he claims he remembers what happened at the dance,” Sehyuk explained.

 

“What!? That’s not possible.  I tailored the spell to be certain that no human would remember,” Hojoon insisted.

 

“That’s why I asked you four to come… maybe you can figure out what’s going on,”

 

“I can explain it myself,” Jiwon spoke up.

 

“Don’t speak unless spoken to…” Sangdo ordered. 

 

“Well Hansol and I don’t know much about magic yet.  Hojoon, Xero… any ideas?” Byungjoo said.

 

“The only explanation would be…” Xero began.

 

“I’m not human!” Jiwon shouted, earning a collective gasp from everyone in the room.

 

“Then… what are you?” Hansol asked.

 

“This may sound crazy… but I’m a dragon.  My skin can become armored and scaly and I can breathe fire,” Jiwon admitted.

 

“No way! Finally another Dragon!” Sangdo shouted excitedly.  Sehyuk cleared his throat.

 

“Sangdo and I are dragons too.  Listen, there’s a group for people like us, called the Order of the Wolf.  If you are interested, we can consider letting you join us,” he said.

 

“Really? That sounds awesome!” Jiwon said with a smile.

 

“I guess we should take him to meet the guys!” Byungjoo said, skipping out the door.  The others followed but Hojoon kept Xero and Hansol behind.

 

“What’s wrong Hojoon?” Xero asked.

 

“Am I the only one who has a bad feeling about this guy?”

 

“Honestly… I feel it too,” Hansol confessed.

 

“He seems fine to me, but I guess it wouldn’t do any harm to keep an eye on him,” Xero said.

 

Soon they arrived at the hideout where the others were waiting.

 

“Finally you guys are… who the hell is he!?” Jenissi furrowed his brow in anger.

 

“Calm down, he’s like us. He’s a dragon,” Sehyuk explained.

 

“Hi, I’m Jiwon. It’s nice to meet you,” Jiwon tried to shake Jenissi’s hand but he pulled it away quickly.

 

“I don’t trust you… I’m sure you understand,” Jenissi said with a glare.  Jiwon nervously scratched his head.

 

“Uh yeah, I get it. I’m the new guy, you have no reason to trust me yet,”

 

Gohn, Seogoong, and Yano approached them.

 

“Don’t let our fellow lion freak you out Jiwon. Welcome to the Order of the Wolf,” Seogoong said with a smile.

 

“So you guys are lions?” Jiwon asked.

 

“That’s right. Hojoon, Xero, Hansol and Byungjoo are wizards and Sehyuk and Sangdo are your fellow dragons,” Yano said.

 

“This is all so cool! Finally I have somewhere I belong,” Jiwon replied.  Hansol wasn’t sure why he was feeling uneasy before… he could really relate to how Jiwon was feeling and he wanted to do as much as possible to make him feel welcome.


---------------------------------

Kidoh had been sitting on his bed almost all day.  As good as it felt to be back home and in his own room, he wished it were under better circumstances.  Jin’s funeral was a couple of days ago and he hadn’t really left his room since.  All he could do was sit there and think about the past.  The days when he used to spend all his time with Jin and the third member of the trio… Jiho, now known as Xero to everyone else.  Back in those days, Kidoh would have never pegged Xero as a murderer.

 

The warm summer sun beamed down on the three boys as they ran back and forth, kicking the soccer ball across the field.

 

“That’s a point for me!” Jin shouted.

 

“No way! You didn’t even get it in the goal!” Jiho insisted.

 

“Calm down you guys, I’m sick of soccer anyway… can’t we do something else?” Kidoh asked.  Before the others could answer, they heard the familiar sound of the ice cream truck and took off running toward it.  After they got their ice cream, they sat down on a park bench.

 

“I’m scared about tomorrow guys,” Kidoh admitted.

 

“Why? Because we’re going to boarding school? It will be fun Kidoh, just like in all the movies!” Jiho insisted.  They had just been accepted to the Arario elementary boarding school, which wasn’t something that happened to many young boys.

 

“Jiho’s right, don’t be scared Kidoh,” Jin said, playfully smearing some ice cream on Kidoh’s cheek. 

 

“You punk!” Kidoh tackled Jin to the ground and they began to wrestle, laughing the entire time.

 

Kidoh was distracted from his memory by his ringing phone.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Kidoh, its Jiwon,”

 

“Good to finally hear from you.  How have things been going?”

 

“Great, I’m in.  Some of them don’t trust me yet, but the others don’t suspect a thing.  Just give me some time to gain their favor, and the location of the stone will be yours,”

 

“Perfect. Thanks Jiwon, and good luck,” Kidoh said, hanging up the phone.

 

This plan was the best one he’d ever thought of, and as long as Jiwon played his part, it would go off without a hitch…