Boiling Point

Order of the Wolf

 

The week crawled by slowly; every day between Xero and Hansol was more awkward than the last.  Every day he’d eat lunch alone… even Byungjoo ditched him, since he’d become rather close to Yano.  He didn’t mind eating alone, it was just… quiet.  Finally Saturday had arrived and Sehyuk requested that Hansol meet him and the others at the hideout.

 

He kept his head down as he walked, trying to avoid the strange glances from the other students.  After what seemed like a lifetime of walking, he finally came to Avalon field, where he saw the others waiting around the large stone.

 

“I’m here,” he said softly.

 

“Good, now we can get this over with,” Sangdo said.  Sehyuk silenced him with a glance before clearing his throat.

 

“Alright, so we’re all aware of Hansol’s breach of Xero’s privacy… We need to decide his future as a member of the Order of the Wolf.  All in favor of Hansol remaining a member, please raise your hand,” he said.

 

Byungjoo, Hojoon, Yano, and Gohn raised their hands.

 

“All opposed?” Sehyuk asked.

 

Sangdo, Xero, Seogoong and Jenissi raised their hands.

 

“Looks like I’m the tie-breaker.  I think… Hansol should stay.  He screwed up, we all have at least once, everyone deserves a second chance,” Sehyuk said, looking Hansol in the eye.  Xero was clearly not pleased as he stomped off.  The wind picked up and Hansol tried to go after him, but Hojoon stopped him.

 

“He’s mad enough to affect the weather… give him some time before you apologize,”

 

Apologize? Hansol had no reason to apologize… he was going to make Xero apologize for making his week so awkward.  But Hojoon was right, he wasn’t getting anything out of Xero until he calmed down.

 

“We were gonna do some training while we’re here.  Hojoon, it looks like you’ll have to train both Hansol and Byungjoo for now,” Sehyuk said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“No that’s all wrong! Try it again, and this time make sure you hit the mark every time! One false move means death, don’t you get that!”  Kidoh screamed.  They had been shooting arrows at targets all morning and Nakta kept missing.

 

“Kidoh calm down, he’s doing the best he can,” Jin said.

 

“Well his best isn’t good enough! The dance is tomorrow night and this plan cannot fail!”

 

“Relax, we’re not even trying to kill them!” Sanggyun replied.

 

“We might not be trying to kill them, but that won’t stop them from ripping us apart if we aren’t on our A game… now do it again!”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few hours passed and Hansol and Byungjoo learned how to pull money from thin air and move small objects with their magic.  After the training Hansol was tired and he declined the invitation to get dinner with the others.  He simply headed back to his dorm… but when he saw Xero sitting on the bed with his knees up to his chest, he silently wished he would have went with them.

 

Xero looked up at him; his face red, and his cheeks coated with tears.

 

“You… how could you do this to me? Don’t you have any remorse?”  Xero said through trembling lips.

 

“What are you talking about!? I’m not the one who murdered someone!”

 

“I DIDN’T MURDER HIM! IT WASN’T MY FAULT!”  Xero screamed, causing the entire room to shake.  Hansol was startled, but he stood his ground.

 

“Then whose fault was it!? You killed him Xero, it was YOU, not anyone else!  You didn’t even do it out of necessity, you did it because you couldn’t control yourself! You’re a monster, and you should be ashamed of what you did!”

 

Xero just sat there, staring at Hansol… it was like he couldn’t form words.

 

“D-Don’t you think I am ashamed?  Do you think I’m proud of the fact that I killed a little kid? I know I couldn’t control myself, I understand that his death is on my shoulders, and I don’t need you to remind me!  I was nothing but nice to you, and what do I get in return?  You read my private journal, make me feel like , and call me a monster… I thought you were a good person, apparently I was wrong,”

 

“I could say the same thing about you… I never thought you’d be the type to hide such a horrible secret… You can try to flip this around on me and make me seem like the bad guy if you want, but that doesn’t change what you did,” Hansol practically spat the words at Xero.

 

“I’m going to stay with Sehyuk and Sangdo… you won’t have to worry about sharing your room with a monster,” Xero said softly as he walked out.