Knightfall (Part Three)

Order of the Wolf

Hansol threw up a force field between him and Kidoh who just pounded it mercilessly with his fists until it finally gave in.  He then punched Hansol incredibly hard, sending him flying up onto the roof of the dorm.  Kidoh jumped up after him, not giving him any time to breathe.  Hansol knew that he had to take the offensive, so he brought down multiple lightning bolts from the sky.  Kidoh somehow managed to dodge each and every strike before he picked Hansol up by the collar, and slammed him down hard.

 

The sound of claws on a hard surface could be heard for a quick second before Kidoh was pounced on by a huge golden lion.

 

“Thanks Gohn,” Hansol whispered, wiping the blood from the corner of his mouth.  Kidoh threw Gohn aside using his godlike strength, but seconds later a white lion ambushed him, clawing him hard in the face.  Kidoh twisted around and collapsed to the ground, clutching his cheek, which was already beginning to heal. He charged at the lion and kicked it in the face, knocking it out and forcing it to transform into a Seogoong.  Kidoh then focused his attention on Hansol.

 

Hansol, not missing a moment, shifted the air around Kidoh, constraining him in a personal tornado.  Kidoh managed to power through, swinging his fists wildly at Hansol, who barely managed to dodge him.  It wasn’t longer before a smaller golden lion, most likey to be Yano due to the fact that his mane hadn’t grown in yet, snuck up on Kidoh from behind and sank its teeth into his shoulder.  He cried out in pain before picking the lion up and breaking its rib cage on his knee.  He tossed the lion aside and grinned.

 

“Is this really the best you can do!? I was hoping for more of a challenge!” Kidoh taunted.  Hansol desperately tried to remember some of the spells from Xero’s book, but he was under so much stress, he could barely concentrate.

 

“Be careful what you wish for!” Sehyuk shouted as he and Sangdo leapt up onto the rooftop.  They both breathed a stream of fire, creating a large circle of flames around Kidoh.  Unfortunately, he marched through them and completely ignored his burning clothes.  He ripped his shirt off before tackling Sangdo and brutally beating him.  Sehyuk pulled him off and the two wrestled for dominance, trying to see whose superhuman strength was indeed superior.  Kidoh won out though, knocking Sehyuk out cold with an elbow to the face.

 

“Now it’s just you and me… no more friends to save you now,” the look in Kidoh’s eyes was pure insanity.  Hansol knew that the effects of the stone were taking their toll on his mental state.  In that moment… he knew he only had one choice. 

 

Hansol took in a deep breath as he felt the electricity surge through his fingertips.  With one, well placed shot, he fired a continuous blast at Kidoh, hitting him directly.  Kidoh managed to press forward, fighting the intense heat of the lightning.  Hansol held strong, he knew he wouldn’t be able to resist it forever…

 

“Wait! Both of you stop!” Xero barely managed to shout through shallow breaths.  He must’ve ran all the way there from the hideout and then climbed up the maintenance ladder to reach the rooftop.  Hansol stopped his assault, and surprisingly so did Kidoh.

 

“Listen to me Kidoh… this isn’t you.  I know you, the real you, and he would never do something like this.  Look, I know we’ve wronged you in the past.  We’ve taken away people that you truly loved and I’m sorry for that.  But this? This is not who you are!  We can work through this together Kidoh.  We can have the friendship that we once had… but you have to give up the power of the stone… please,” Xero begged. 

 

Kidoh cocked his head to the side as if he was considering Xero’s request… but then he ran toward him with lightning speed and grabbed his neck.

 

“Goodbye Xero,” he said as he began to crush his windpipe.  In that moment, faced with Xero’s imminent death, Hansol finally remembered the spell… the spell of empathy.   He grabbed Kidoh as quickly as he could and set the spell in motion.

--------------------------------------

Kidoh couldn’t see or hear anything.  One moment, he was holding Xero by the throat, and the next he was standing in white nothingness.  Slowly, the environment was filled in by a classroom, a familiar one… it was his science class from elementary school.  He was standing there, in the front of the room, next to a crudely drawn image.  He recognized it as one of Xero’s drawings.  The reflection he could see in the small chalkboard mirror, wasn’t his own, but Xero’s.

 

He felt the incredible amount of anxiety from the class pointing and laughing at him; his head was instantly filled with images of similar things happening on a daily basis.  He stormed out of the classroom and out into the field where he let his tears flow.  However, along with his tears came a blackened sky, lit up with flashes of lightning.  He knew he was causing it, but he had no idea how to stop it.  He held his hands up, trying desperately to solve this dilemma, when something terrible happened.

 

To his complete and utter horror, a lightning bolt shot down from the sky and hit a small boy who had been playing a few feet away.  Kidoh rushed over to him but his skin was charred and he wasn’t breathing.  He then looked up to see a younger version of himself, kneeling over the body of his younger brother.  He remembered this day… but not like this.  Finally he understood what truly happened, what pushed Xero over the edge… it all made sense.  All his life he’d been hunting the wrong people.  The monsters weren’t the members of the order, the true monsters were those who mistreated them…

-------------------------------------

Hansol sighed in relief when Kidoh dropped Xero, who immediately coughed and rubbed his throat.  Kidoh’s eyes stopped glowing and his hair fell back into place.  The stone, which had been somehow imbedded in the palm of his hand, dropped to the ground and ceased to glow.

 

“I understand now… Xero… I’m so sorry,” Kidoh burst into tears and dropped to his knees.  Xero hugged him tight as sirens wailed in the distance. 

 

The war was finally over…