Angel

Silent Hearts

{ 8 }

I remembered during the days when the white snow accumulated our whole lawn, I sat by the little window in my room, watching my dad playing ice wheely with Baekbeom. It was the game where they ride the small trolleys that was far too small for them, and whoever reaches the end of the road first wins. The pavement was slippery but fully covered with snow, so when one of them fell, all you could hear was their laughter. My father would brush the snow off Baekbeom's hair and tapped his head. 

 

That was the day I had my first fight with my brother. When dad went inside to warm himself, I crept outside and asked Baekbeom to push the trolley for me. It was my favourite winter game and I didn't even care if I had no one to play with. Baekbeom gave me a disgusted glance and ignored me. He pushed me over that I fell sideways on the snow. "That's our game, not yours. Screw off." 

 

Tears welled up in my eyes instantly, but then it was replaced by white anger that made my puny body shook. I stood up and pushed his chest harshly, the only thing I could think of at that time of how to hurt him. I was met with an amused expression, but a shadow lurked behind his eyes. He grabbed my collar and punched me hard on the jaw that I fell and bled on the snow. 

 

Now looking at myself in the mirror, I realized that I was still the weakling kid that my brother looked down on; whom never really found the courage within himself. 

 


 

Today was a little different. Everyone spared me a second glance, and whispers could be heard clearly like a siren wail. I guess having a bruised jaw and a broken nose really did give you the reputation. Haeri was in the hallway, talking to her new friends. She saw me and her eyes lighted up like they always did, but then the smile fell from her face as fast as they came. I averted my eyes away from her and passed by her without a second glance. 

 

I turned to the corner quickly; my shoes squeaking on the floor. A distant shout could be heard. 

 

"Baekhyun!" 

 

I stopped in my tracks, my hand gripping my hockey bag a little too tight. I felt a hand on my arm--her touch was soft like a feather. I didn't look at her. I couldn't. 

 

"What happened?....Baek, look at me." she pleaded, her grip tightening on my arm. I felt my jaw tightened, the muscles on my back became rigid. I brought myself to look at her, and my heart broke upon seeing her face. I stared at her blankly, giving no sort of emotion. She had her hair in a tight ponytail, and her eyelids were coloured slightly gold with hues of brown. Her fingers started to reach for my split lip, but I grabbed her hand. 

 

"What do you think you're doing?" I said sternly, but my knees threaten to buckle in front of her any moment. 

 

There was a distinct sliver of hurt crossed her features that I regretted my words immediately. I realized that my hands were icy cold when I held hers. I let her hand fell from my grasp like it was some sort of sickness I didn't want to go anymore near. Then I started to turn away and walked away from her. She grabbed at my hand again but I swatted her away and ended up bursting out to her. 

 

"Just leave me the alone!" I shouted with the anger that I had always kept bottled. It was the first time I cursed in front of her. 

 

She stood her ground. But I saw that her hands were shaking. She refused to leave. 

 

I glared at her sideways. "Just go. I don't need anyone to become apologetic to me, especially you. So just cut the act."

 

I turned around and left without a single word. 

 


 

My mind kept going back to the day when I first approached her. Even though I made a big fool out of myself in front of her, I ended up helping her distributing the balloons. It was kind of awkward, since most kids that were fond of her started asking Haeri who I was, and if I was her yeobo But then Haeri started laughing and explained to the kids that 'yeobo' was used for married couples while I just stood there with my ears red. 

 

"We should really just get them chocolates." I frowned at this one kid with big fat cheeks and stubby fingers who was scribbling "I want a chocolate fountain for my birthday" in messy hangul on the balloon. He was probably the 12th kid to wish for sweet desserts. "All they're asking is not pertinent." 

 

Haeri's eyes grew wide as she gasped in utter shock like I just said that I was going to run around half around the park. She slapped me hard on my shoulder.

 

"Ow!" 

 

She frowned at me."It doesn't matter what they ask, you narrow-minded snail. It's the hope that matters. The hope that their wish will come true and granted by the heavens. It's the hope that will keep them going. Because even if we have nothing, as long as we have hope, we have everything." 

 

I was momentarily stunned by what she said. Haeri blushed, her cheeks turning a tint of red. "Oh, and I'm sorry for hitting you." 

 

I let out a breath, my lips turning up in the corners in a smirk. "I can't believe the fact that you just called me a narrow-minded snail. Really?" 

 

"Oh, would you like a conceited monkey or a loud mouth chihuahua? Or perhaps an egotistical skunk?" 

 

"I'd go with the skunk. At least then I can fart on you if you hit me again." 

 

"You and what army, huh?" she eyed me amusingly.

 

"Me and my monkey and chihuahas and snails brigade. We will take over the world." 

 

Haeri burst out laughing so hard that she rolled over and laughed on the grass. I grinned and shook my head, letting myself sit beside her with my arms rested on my knees. It took her a few minutes before she finally stopped, but I didn't mind. Seeing her laughed, and I was the main reason behind it, it was the best skunking thing that had ever happened to me. 

  


 

Chanyeol came up to me during lunch hour, his figure lean and tall to be compared with mine, even when we sat next to each other. He had been one of my close mates, the person I'd go to for cheesy pick up lines and awful jokes to cheer me up. 

 

"Whats going on? I'm sensing major PMS problems."  

 

I grunted in protest, and hid my face in my maths book that I had burnt holes for the last 20 minutes. 

 

"Stop being such a baby and tell me what's up with you." He grabbed one of my fries nonchalantly and stuffed it in his mouth. "Damn these are good. Can you take my salad?"

 

I groaned and flapped my hands.

 

"Thanks man. It's absurd how can someone go on a diet when you have these beautiful piece of creation exist in this world. Like hello, newsflash, its goddamn cheesy fries." 

 

I lifted my face and gave him a are you freaking kidding me? look. 

 

"Holy---crap man, you look awful."

 

"Thanks for the heads up." I rubbed my face with my hands, unable to mask the facade anymore. At least, not in front of Chanyeol. 

 

"Girl problem huh? It's about Haeri isn't it?" He lifted one of his eyebrows and I nodded weakly. It had been a week since the incident with her, and I had been avoiding her ever since. 

 

"If you like her, you should just confess." He shrugged indifferently. 

 

"I can't." I sighed, feeling defeated. "I'm starting to like her way too much and it's killing me. I just. . .I don't think I'm near worthy for her. Even as a friend. Much less someone special." 

 

"You, my, friend, have fallen in love." Chanyeol pretended to sniff and wiped a non-existent tear using his fingers. 

 

"Is it that obvious?" I let out a frustrated breath and ran my fingers through my disheveled brown hair. 

 

"Clear as the sky, Baekcon. Clear as the sky." 

 


 

 

Have you ever seen something that tore your heart apart, having it wrenched out of your ribcage and getting stomped over and over again? 

 

What I was feeling, wasn't like that. It was far more worst. 

 

I saw Haeri wrapped in my brother's arms, his hands resting comfortably on her waist. I saw him held her so close that it made me feel sick. 

 

I had never felt more betrayed in my whole life. 

 

 

 

 {A/N}

I'm so busy with exams nowadays its really stressful u_u but hopefully you all enjoyed reading this chapter ^^ ((and not be stressed out like me lol)) ((there will be more angst to come)) ((im so sorry baek)) ((bye guys)) *throws hearts* ((who thinks the new poster is beau-ti-ful??))