Rue

Silent Hearts

{ 10 }

I replayed the scene over and over in my head. Her swollen eyes, the hurt was unmask and transparent. When she slapped me, it was like waking up from a hallucination, like obtaining back my conscience, and having my soul returned to my body. But it was too late. And she was already gone. Instantly I felt a great sense of loss, like the hand that you grew familiar to holding and intertwining your fingers, were suddenly taken away from you, leaving only the ghost of her touch lingering. 

I didn't know what had gotten into me that had made me acted drastically, but I knew that I needed to do everything I could to fix what I had broke. Even if I had to have my hands cut by the broken shards, I couldn't lose her.

I couldn't afford it.

And then I ran. But this time, I was running because I wanted to make things right. 

 

 

A month ago, she was sick and didn't come to school for a week so I tried to find a way to cheer her up. I attempted to copy Troy Bolton's picnic-basket-filled-with-chocolate-coated-strawberries trick, but apparently her tastebuds were haywire and everything ended up tasting like cardboard. So I decided on another alternative. I rode my bike around the neighbourhood and plucked up flowers from people's gardens, collecting a bundle of them in a myriad of colours. When she was asleep, I decorated her windowsill with flowers for everyday for a week.

When Haeri came back to school, she had a small smile on her face. 

"You're an idiot," she said. 

"And you're healthy. Welcome back." I sneakily pinched her nose and ended up getting a sneeze from her. 

 

 

"Haeri?" I called. She lifted her face from her arms that acted as a place to cry on. Her face was tear-streaked, and my heart instantly ached to hold her, to comfort her. I had never seen her cry, and it broke me that I was the reason behind her tears. 

She gained her senses in a split second, and quickly rubbed her face with her hands. I saw the facade of a broken girl vanished, replaced by cautiousness. It was like she was scared of me. Like if I came any closer, she would burn down to ashes. I inhaled a deep breath, unsure of what to say. I knew I needed to say something. But instead, I walked up to her and embraced her so tightly she became immobile. She was stunned, and didn't move one bit. 

"I'm so so so sorryI was stupid, and dumb and an idiot," I was crying now, and the words tumbled out of my mouth without me registering them. "Don't---don't give up on me." The words shook at the end, as I was unable to control the sadness that was gripping my throat, and the fear of losing her. "You can kick and slap and punch me all you want, I deserve it. But don't give up on me, please. I'm so so sorry."

Her tense body became relaxed in my arms, like the tension was lifted into the air. She finally returned my embrace.

Haeri didn't say anything. She only hugged me tighter. 

And in that moment, I realized that we were both broken by each other.

 

*

In a way, everything started changing. Not in a drastic way, but I had noticed how we started to become distant. We hung out like usual, but there was like an invincible wall had came between us; built up by silences and unspoken words that neither of us had the courage to speak. And as we slowly lost our grip on each other, my brother tightened his around her. 

I tried to warn her about him, but she didn't get it. Haeri only saw the 'jealousy'. And once again, we got into a fight. 

"He's not what you think he is." 

"Why does it matter? Why do you suddenly care so much?" 

"Because I know him better than you do." I stated angrily. God, why is she so stubborn?

She lets out a humourless laugh. "You're just jealous, aren't you?" 

"No, it's not tha--"

"Then what is it?" she demanded, her tone sharp as a knife. "Why can't I go out with him? Just give me a damn reason, Baekhyun!" 

I opened my mouth, tempted to tell her that---YES I WAS JEALOUS AND BECAUSE I WAS CRAZY IN LOVE WITH YOU AND THAT MY BROTHER WAS A DICKHEAD AND HE DIDN'T DESERVE YOU THE SLIGHTEST BUT WHY CAN'T YOU SEE ME?---but the sentence was hanging at the tip of my tongue. I couldn't tell her that. It would cost everything. So I just shook my head. 

"I thought so." she said curtly, and left. 

 

 

Maybe it was my fault, for thinking that I could just get away with hoarding this feelings towards her but never had the balls to confess. 

Maybe it was my fault, for not having the courage to say those three words to her. 

And maybe it was my fault, that now, she belonged to my brother. 

 

{A/N} 

Oh my God I can't believe I've reached this far. I've worked so hard on this fanfic, and there are not many chapters to go before I can finally have my first completed work. Thank you to you guys for staying with me up until this point :') *throws love and sweets and everything nice to you*