Sombre Skies

Silent Hearts

{ 7 }

 

"Was I interrupting something?" Baekbeom raised his eyebrows, his shoulder leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. There was a little smirk playing at the corner of his mouth. 

 

Both of us got up abruptly from my bed. I glared at him. "When did you get back?" 

 

"Now now baby brother, I think I deserve some sort of a warm welcome after months not seeing you." He walked towards me and pulled me into a hug that felt too dramatic and insincere to be real. I flinched from his touch. He moved his mouth closer to my ear. "Be careful, Baekhyunnie. If you pull a crap with me you know what's the cost." 

 

When he pulled away, he had his charming million-watt smile on his perfect face that my parents always compared me with. His hair was groomed to perfection with new highlights and his face was free from any flaws; not even a hint of a scratch and he had the most perfect arrangement of white teeth. He was taller than me by a few inches, and more muscular and laidback. The perfect son, they said. Unlike you, they said. 

 

He turned to Haeri who was standing awkwardly between us and feigned surprise. "Who's this beautiful girl standing here?" Taking her hand, he planted a soft kiss on her knuckles, his eyes never leaving her gaze. I felt my jaw clenched to restrain myself. 

 

"Haeri, this is my brother, Baekbeom. Hyung, this is Haeri. My . . .-", I hesitated. They both looked at me with expectant eyes. I finally sighed. "My best friend." I felt a sliver of something I couldn't decipher on Haeri's face, but then it was gone by seconds. 

 

"Nice to meet you," she smiled politely. 

 

"Pleasure is all mine." he winked, and let go of her hand. He was still staring at her when he said, "Mum's going to be home in a few. Dad too. We're having a family night for my return. You can stay if you want, Haeri." he offered to her, but there was something off with his tone. 

 

He took a last glance at her before he left my room. 

 


 

"I shouldn't be here, Baek. I feel like I'm interrupting your family quality time together." she whispered nervously to me when we were alone in the kitchen, helping my mother setting up the table. 

 

"Don't be ridiculous. I want you to be here." I admitted, and ruffled her hair. "At least it wouldn't be that bad." I mumbled. My mum never made a conversation with me unless she needed the dishes to be washed, or the groceries to be arranged, or the kitchen to be spotless. But my parents seemed to be all over Baekbeom, hugging and congratulating and patting him on the back. Even though my parents were divorced, they tried to get along for the sake of him. 

 

I wanted to laugh. 

 

We ate at the table in silence, but when we weren't, it was all the topic on Baekbeom. It was like I didn't even existed. Haeri noticed this, and she glanced at me fiddling and playing with my food and that I didn't even eat one bite. 

 

I felt her reaching for my hand under the table and she gave my hand a gentle squeeze. I smiled at her gratefully and squeezed back. 

 

"Haeri," my mother called out. "Come, eat more. You're a beautiful young lady. Do you have a boyfriend?" 

 

I almost choked on my food. 

 

Haeri let out a nervous laugh. She looked down at her plate. "Thank you. But I. . .um. . .I'm not in a relationship right now." she smiled sheepishly and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. I could feel Baekbeom staring at her from across the table. 

 

"Is that so? Oh my, maybe you should hang out with Baekbeom here. He's desperately searching for a girlfriend too." My mum leaned in and put a hand beside as if whispering it to her. My brother let out a small chuckle that was loud for me to hear. My father didn't say anything.

 

My grip on my spoon tighten, and I felt myself sunk deeper into the sea of hopelessness. How could she say that in front of me? How could she? 

 

I wish I could disappear. 

 

"It's a tempting offer, but I'm afraid I'd have to say no. I want to focus on my studies. And besides, I already have Baekhyun." she turned to me and gave me the smile that she only gave to no other person but me. She did that on purpose; to make them shut up and understand that I was here too, and that she was acknowledging me and that I meant something to her. My heart was beating so fast. 

 

I finally found the courage to smile back. 

 


 

It was already late, and Haeri finally asked the permission to head home. I found them at the front porch, having a conversation. I stood by the doorway, wanting to interrupt my brother's attempt at flirting with her, but I stayed rooted at my spot. My heart sank whenever I saw Haeri giggled or laughed, and my mind was boiling with anger at his futile attempts. The jealousy was like poison in my veins, pumping fast and hard. But the other part of me felt despondency that made my heart feel puny and small. 

 

I could never beat my brother. I could never match his light that shone so brightly like a single star in the darkest part of the sky. While I, I was the dimmest star that was hidden by the clouds, the star that people never knew its name, and people never knew it ever existed. The star that was about to burst and explode and die and get swallowed by oblivion without being remembered.

 

I stared at them until Haeri left, without me telling her goodbye. Her father's car disappeared through the night. Baekbeom found me standing at the doorway. He stood in front of me, a smug smile tugging at the corner of his lips. His eyes glinted with mockery.

 

"She's freaking hot. If I didn't meet her here, I would already screw her." 

 

That was the end of the line. 

 

I punched him so hard on the jaw that he stumbled and fell on the porch. 

 

"What the hell?!" he spitted blood on the floor. Fury burned his eyes as he stood up, holding his not-so-perfect-face now. "How dare you-" 

 

"Don't ever talk about her like that and don't ever ogle at her in front of me or I swear I'll kill you." My hands were clenched at my sides, and colour already drained from my palms where I gripped at it too hard. Anger boiled within every inch of my body that I took another step forward and lunged for him again. But he was ready for me. He dodged my punch and kicked me hard on the stomach. I fell on the porch with a dull thud, coughing out blood. He trapped me with his knees and punched me on my face. He fisted me again and again that I couldn't find the strength to defend myself. Baekbeom was a lot more stronger than I was. 

 

"I can say whatever the ing hell I want. And I will own her. I will." he hissed and grabbed my hair harshly. He gave a last kick to my groin before getting up and walked back into the house with tentative steps. 

 

The stars were the last thing I saw before I out. 

 


{ A/N }

Poor Baek ;;__;; I'm so sorry I had to make you suffer ;;__;; 

What do you guys think? Do you love this chapter, or hate it? I gave you a glimpse of Baekbeom so you'll know what to expect. You can expect more to come. ^^ thanks for reading! upvote if you love the story, it would mean a lot <3