Epiphany

Silent Hearts

{ 9 }

Haeri's POV

I had felt his hand reaching my back, and firmly gripped my waist when I was about to fall. I gasped, as Baekbeom's crooked smile looked down on me, and I felt guilty for wishing it was someone else's. 

"You okay there? Seems like it would be a pretty good fall." His peppermint breath warmed my face, the little smirk still playing on the corner of his lips. He squeezed my waist, and deliberately pulled me up roughly, making me bumped onto his chest. I tried to push him away, but he purposely gripped me tighter. I struggled in his hold more stubbornly.

"Let go of me!" I demanded. He ignored my angry outburst. 

All of a sudden, at the corner of my eye, I saw him standing behind us. And that was when I knew

"No, Baekhyun---!" I started shouting at him, but he already turned around and ran. 

"Baekhyun!" 

My mind began to swirl, and my heart thumped so loudly. No, it's not what you think... Baekbeom finally let go of me, and I took that chance. I had never slapped anyone before, never even liked the idea of it, but right now I was feeling so disoriented and angry. 

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I cried out at him, my body shaking with anger. He held his face, and let out a breath, like he was satisfied by this whole thing and completely unfazed by the fact that everything was falling apart. 

"Relax babe, what did I do?" he feigned stupidity that I had the urge to slap him again but I held myself back. I needed to find Baekhyun. 

"Don't ever call me babe. And don't ever touch me again." 

Not waiting for his response, I pushed past him and started running towards the direction Baekhyun took. 

 

zo9u2t.png
 
Did you know that he could sing? Like one of those guys in the boyband group who girls dreamily looked up to with their big doe eyes. Baekhyun had a voice that could make the angels cry in happiness when he sang. 
 
He used to tell me that he had no talents whatsoever, not even rolling his tongue. He told me that the one thing that he could do that could be considered as a "talent" was him being able to rap the 3 Bears song while playing the guitar. We both shared the same music taste that revolved around groups like Oasis, Radiohead, and The Fray. I heard him hummed to the songs while staring out of the window when we shared earphones on the way to school. He always looked at peace, and I always silently pulled the earphone a little bit away from my ear, so the melody of his humming could fill my ears instead. 
 
Baekhyun was a little embarrassed and it took a whole lot of coaxing, but he finally gave in when I threatened to call him Baekkie. He told me it sounded like the male version of a Barbie and always cringed upon the thought.
 
"What song?" he asked, as he positioned his guitar comfortably on his lap. 
 
I pondered for a while before saying, "Your favourite." 
 
He chuckled. "Sure," he said, and smiled at me. Then he cleared his throat but before he could start, I interrupted. 
 
"Square your shoulders. You should always sit straight and have the perfect stance, you know." I teased playfully. 
 
"What's wrong with the way I sit?" He frowned, and pretended he was very insulted with my comment. 
 
"Ya, I'm just saying." I shrugged indifferently. Then I went up to him and put my hands on his shoulders to smoothen his crinkled shirt. I fixed his tie that was hanging loosely around his neck, and lifted his chin with my fingers. Baekhyun had his full gaze on me, and his eyes lingered a little bit too long even after I finally sat back on the couch. Perhaps he finally caught himself staring and quickly cleared his throat. 
 
"For you." Baekhyun grinned, before he let his voice filled the room. 
 
zo9u2t.png
I found him. 
 
He was leaning his arm against the locker. 
 
There was a girl. Her hands were wrapped around Baekhyun's torso, and she was kissing him. And he was kissing her back. 
 
I couldn't believe my eyes. Of what I was seeing. Of what I had to forcefully witnessed. It was like he had held a knife all this time, and in that exact moment he made the accurate stab straight through my heart. I felt ashamed, and sick, and disgusted. My hands shook terribly, and my eyes started to sting. Don't cry. Don't freaking cry. 
 
"Baek...hyun." I managed to whisper, the strength of what was left of me had left my body in a few span of seconds. 
 
Baekhyun froze, the muscles on his back tensing up. He finally pulled away and I saw who the girl was. It was Nao, the girl from our class. The once timid girl, with the long skirts and bob haircut and socks that dissapeared in her shoes, with the face full of acne, was now the girl with the auburn hair, with long eyelashes and short skirts and red lips. She was smirking at me, a devilish look behind her eyes as she fixed her hair. 
 
"Ka." Baekhyun told her, and she hurried away. I could see the red stain of lipstick smothered on his lips. I felt sick to my stomach.
 
"What do you want?" he demanded, his voice cold as ice, sending piercing stabs of pain through my chest. 
 
I found a hard time searching for my voice; my throat felt constricted as the hardness of his gaze made me feel small. He wasn't the Baekhyun I once knew. The Baekhyun I knew wouldn't use that tone, he wouldn't hurt my feelings, and he wouldn't kiss someone else just to avenge me. 
 
"It's not...it's not what you think. I fell, and Baekbeom caught me and--",
 
He scoffed, and just shook his head. "Save me the trouble, will you?"
 
"What?" 
 
"Haeri-yah, just go. Don't even try to explain it to me. You're just the same with the other girls. You got tired of me, so you went to my brother. I guess I didn't give you what you wanted, huh? You're full of lies. I hope you're happy, and ing satistied with what Baekbeom hyung has to offer---"
 
Baekhyun's face was turned to the side. I felt the hot sting on my hand, but I knew it would leave a more stinging pain on his cheek. But I didn't care. I didn't. I wished I could slap and kick and punch him a million times, for thinking he had the right to say those things to me. The silence was loud to my ears, but then I realized that my ears were ringing. Baekhyun raised his hand slowly to touch his face, and for one second I thought I caught a sense of remorse crossed his face. But my eyes were already blurry with the danger of tears that were tempted to fall. 
 
"You. . .have no right. No right at all." My tone was low, but my whole body was shaking now. 
 
He was looking at me now, his face a mask of uncertainty. He took a step towards me, but I took a step back, shrinking, refusing to meet his eyes. 
 
"I trusted you." I started backing away, the tears threatening to fall any moment now but I couldn't afford to let him see me cry. That was like waving the white flag by showing him the vulnerable me. It was too painful to even breathe in the same space as him. 
 
"I never thought that you think this whole thing is a fraud. To have it in you to belittle me that much. To think that our friendship is a ing lie." My words shook at the end as I was unable to suppress the aching feeling. 
 
"Haeri," he started. 
 
"Don't. Just bloody don't.
 
And then I turned around and ran. And for the first time, I felt hatred towards him. More than anything.
 
zo9u2t.png
 
 
 
{A/N} 
Tell me what you guys think and drop your comments. ^^ I would love to know your thoughts! Do you still love Baekhyun or hate him already? What do you want to happen next?? Oh and what do you think of reading from Haeri's POV? It's nice for me because I can explore more with her thoughts that you guys never knew :) Btw I have a one week holiday so yay for me. Hopefully I can update a few more chapters while stuDYING. All the best wishes. x