Fractured Dreams

Silent Hearts

{ 6 }

 

I trudged to the locker room with small steps, my feet practically dragging my aching body that desperately needs a shower to freshen up. I was the only one to come to the field at this hour. I spent the last two hours practising; but mostly for releasing the stress that was building up since I was given the responsibility of leading the school's team. By the end of the second hour---after numerous goals and falls and scraped knee---I felt stronger and more rejuvenated. But now I desperately need a long relaxing shower. 

 

I was shoving my sports shoes in my locker when I felt my shoulder being tapped. Startled, I turned around. Minhyuk was smiling politely at me. 

 

"Byun. What are you doing here? It's pretty damn late." he opened his own locker and took out a few things. I saw a picture of him with a girl plastered at the locker's door, him hugging her from the back. 

 

I looked away, suddenly feeling like I just invaded his privacy. I cleared my throat before speaking. "Just building up the energy for next week's match. My moves are pretty rusty." I let out a nervous laugh. 

 

Minhyuk shook his head, grinning as he slapped my back. "Man, you're the best player here. Everyone knows that. That's why coach chose you as the captain. I know the guys here are pretty rough to you, but that's all because they admire your talent." he admitted, and I could see the honesty and kindness in his eyes. 

 

"I saw how you play, and I watched you practiced just now. Let me tell you this, no one ever comes to practice on his own, especially a team captain, as far as I know of, until you showed up in the team. I think we have a good chance to win it this year." he winked, and finally I cracked a smile. 

 

"Thanks man," relief washed over me, and I slowly felt like I was being accepted. 

 

Minhyuk shrugged, and closed his locker door. "Oh by the way, coach's going to be off for a few weeks. We'll have a replacement soon. The guys said he's a university student, has kick- skills in hockey. He's going to replace coach for a while." 

 

I nodded, and watched him leave the locker room. 

 

 


 

I rushed to the bus stop with my hair newly wet from shower and now drenched with rain. It was the first time it poured since summer greeted us a few weeks ago. The boisterous wind pushed me back a few times that I almost stumbled. Ignoring the cold that bit me to the bones, I ran to the bus stop as fast as I could. I was late. God, I was really really late. I didn't have to look at my watch to know how awfully late I was. 

 

Upon reaching the bus stop, she didn't notice my presence. She was leaning over a sketchbook, her hair covering her shivering lips. The rain battered on the roof like bullets as the wind rushed past us. Taking a deep breath, I walked up to her; my mind swarming with a million apologies. I was bracing myself for the worst, like some sort of silent treatment or a cold side from her. 

 

"Hey," I said, looking down as I rubbed the back of my neck. 

 

"Finally." she huffed, but she didn't look at me. I was expecting some sort of outburst, but when she looked up, there was a feigned annoyance on her face. 

 

"Byun Baekhyun, if you don't win this game, I will never wait for you in the pouring rain ever again." 

 

I laughed. We both did. 

 


 

The ride on the bus was only accompanied by the pitter-patter of rain and Frank Ocean through our intertwined earphones. We had to take a second bus back to my house since when we arrived at hers, she left her house keys inside and couldn't get in. I was a little reluctant to invite her to my house, but there was no other option. I couldn't leave her standing alone in the downpour waiting for God knows how long her parents would come back with a key. 

 

Her head bounced against the blurred window and she ended up leaning against my shoulder. I tensed up but then I heard her snoring softly. Her breath was cold, and my fingers accidentally brushed her hands that felt like ice. Instinctively I reached out for her hand and clasped both of mine around it before I blew on it to give her some warmth. 

 

When we finally arrived, it was only drizzling. We both walked to the front door as I punched a few set of numbers before the door clicked to let us inside. I glanced at the shoe rack and let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. My mother wasn't home yet. 

 

"Is your mum home?," Haeri asked, taking off her shoes and putting them on the side. She looked sort of nervous to enter my house. 

 

"Not yet. You can come in. Make yourself comfortable." I ushered her inside. 

 

Haeri hesitantly trudged inside and a look of awe crossed her features. "Your house. . .it's beautiful." 

 

I took off my jacket and shook the water from my drenched hair. "Yeah, I guess." I didn't take that as a compliment. How could I, when this house was once a hellhole for me? "Do you want some water? I'll get you some. Oh, and fresh clothes too. You're drenched like you just swam in the sea. Wait here." 

 

Haeri blushed and took a seat on the big couch in the living room. "Thanks." she simply said. 

 

I went to my room and rummaged through my closet to find a decent shirt for her. All of them looked oversized and definitely too big for her. I finally decided on a green sweatshirt that I wore when I was fifteen, and some shorts. I hope she wouldn't mind. Before I closed the door, I took a glance of my room. 

 

Oh . 

 

It looked like a wrecked ship that was thrown in the sea by raging waves. Dirty clothes were scattered on the floor like fallen soldiers. My bed looked like someone had a one night stand last night and books were all over my study table. I cursed again and picked up my dirty laundry. When I was too engrossed in tidying my room, the door creaked open slowly. 

 

"Baekhyun?" Haeri stood by the door and I turned around alarmingly like a boy whom just kissed another girl he wasn't meant to. "What are you doing?" she laughed, and wrapped her arms around her body. "Can I come in?" 

 

I blushed all of a sudden, unsure of wanting to invite her in or not but I blurted out "Yes" without registering it. 

 

"Wow I wish I had a room like this," she admitted, and sat on the corner of my bed. "It's so blue." 

 

I rubbed the back of my head nervously, and chucked softly. "Well yeah, it's my favourite colour after all." 

 

"Right. I forgot." she blushed again, and this was the second time she turned red today. I wondered why. 

 

"Here's your--I mean, my clothes--that you can change in." I handed her the sweatshirt and shorts and she took it gratefully. 

 

"I'll leave you to change," I said, and headed to the door. 

 

"Baek, wait." she stood up all of a sudden, her eyes caught something. 

 

"Yes?" I turned around. 

 

"What are those?" she asked, pointing to the wall. 

 

I already knew what she was pointing to. The painful memory of every night that I pasted to a wall in my room. I didn't even know why I did that because they only reopen old wounds. I walked beside her and saw the movie tickets; hundreds of them alligned in an orderly manner, creating a picture of somewhat. The movie tickets I always bought when my parents argued at home. Each ticket marked each bickering, each quarrel, each disagreement. When I got older, instead of crying inside my room and hurting myself, I ran out and bought movie tickets and watched a movie. I never really watched the movie, because all I felt was numbness and suffocating pain. I would sometimes fall asleep, and only be woken up by a worker who worked there. Sometimes I wished I wouldn't wake up at all.

 

But I couldn't tell her that.

 

"Movie tickets. I collect them." I said curtly, and felt a rising panic in my chest. Cold perspiration trailed down my forehead. I was starting to feel dizzy. 

 

"Baekhyun." she grabbed my arm and forced me to look at her. "You okay?" 

 

I shook my head and held the desk for support. I needed to breathe. I needed to sit. My breath was coming up in gasps and my mind swam, making her figure looked doubled and my ears started to ring. Haeri quickly went to my side and helped me to my bed. She rubbed small circles on my back, her face displaying anxiousness.

 

"I'll get you some water," It wasn't a suggestion but rather a statement but I pulled her back.

 

"No. Stay. Please." I breathed. When I could finally breathe normally, I ended up telling her about the movie tickets. It was the first. It felt like exposing a layer of myself that I had kept protected and hidden for so long, and now it was finally revealed and I felt bare, and weak. The strong pretense was gone, replaced by a damaged and fractured human being. I was afraid to look at her in the eyes, so when I was finally done, she lifted my face to look at her. Her gaze was kind and warm, respectful and supportive. There was no judgement at all. 

 

She reached for me and I embraced her as violent sobs shook my entire body. 

 


 

I woke up from the sound of something I couldn't decipher. My mind was still foggy and the thickness of oblivion was pulling me back. My eyes caught a glimpse of the surroundings before I realized I was in a wide field grown with tulips. I pushed myself with my elbows and shaded my face from the brilliant sunlight. 

 

Where am I? 

 

My ears picked up the sound again. I stood up without meaning to and started to search for the source. It was really hot and my mind was spinning and my breathing was coming up in gasps. I was running but I didn't care. I needed to find the voice. I needed to find her. 

 

Her figure stood tall among the outgrown grass and bright-coloured tulips. She was beautiful than anyone I have ever laid my eyes on. I started to reach for her; my hand pulling out to embrace her, to protect her, but then an ear-wrenching gunshot rang out. 

 

Haeri plopped to the ground with a loud thud. 

 

There was so much red. 

 

My hands shook. 

 

Something cool and heavy fell from my grasp. 

 

I looked down at the gun, and screamed. 

 


 

The first thing I felt was emptiness, like a hole growing bigger and bigger in my chest. My throat felt raw, and I knew immediately I was thrashing and screaming in my sleep. I woke up with a jerk and found her scared eyes staring back at me. 

 

I quickly pulled her into my arms, burying my face in her hair. Her vanilla scent washed my nostrils and relief flooded through my body. 

 

I took a shaky breath. My mind couldn't grasp the right thing to say. She was here. She was okay.

 

"Baek-," she started, but I cut her off.

 

"I'm glad... you're... okay." I finally found my voice that came out weak and hoarse. My hands couldn't stop shaking. The dream was still vivid in my mind, and the all the red still burned at the back of my eyelids.

 

She wrapped her arms protectively around my torso and leaned her forehead against my shoulders, inhaling my shirt. "I thought you wouldn't wake up." her voice cracked. "I'm right here, Baek. I'm not going anywhere." she whispered, the anxiousness was evident in her tone. 

 

I didn't know how long we stayed that way but neither of us spoke. Haeri didn't ask about my dream nor did she demanded me to let her go, and I was glad. Seconds, minutes passed as the time stretched as I felt my heart slowly became a whole again. I didn't know what the dream meant, and I didn't want to know either. It only brought a pang to my chest whenever I think about it. Dreams become nightmares when we are at our most hopeless state, and it steals our most prized possesion and memories to twist it into something horrendous. 

 

I finally pulled away when a crash of thunder could be heard from outside my house. Her fingers brushed my face lightly and pushed my bangs away from my eyes. "Feeling better?" she asked. 

 

"Yeah. Thank you." I cracked a little smile that I could manage at this point, and leaned in to kiss the top of her head before I stopped and pulled myself away. ", sorry I didn-" 

 

"Ya!" she exclaimed, and I felt a burning sensation on my cheeks. Her ears started to turn red. I cursed myself for being such a moron but then she leaned in and planted a quick kiss on my temple. I gaped at her with indubitable surprise.

 

"What's that for?" I ask dumbfoundedly, my cheeks getting warmer by the second. 

 

"That's for what you said in your sleep. That you would protect me, no matter what it takes." she smiled playfully.

 

My heart stopped beating. I said that? Well good job Baekhyun, you talk loudly in your sleep. 

 

The sound of the door creaking open made both of us jumped. A tall figure appeared in front of my room, the light at the hallway illuminating his smirk. We were like two deer in the headlights. 

 

"Well well well, what do we have here?" his voice slurred. 

 

It was my brother. 


 

{ A/N }

Finally I manage to update after months. I'm so sorry for taking so long. I miss Baek too hahah. I hope you guys are satisfied with this chapter. :) Wuuu Baekhyun's older brother is back! What do you expect from Baekbeom? expect a lot drama, yes? *winks* I hope you guys can drop comments and tell me what you think. I read all of them, promise! Till next time! xxxx