8th Month

Love Is Timing

BZZZZZ!

Namjoo glanced at her vibrated cellphone, kakaotalk. 

 

Jongdae: Bbyong! 

Namjoo: I'm trying to learn here

Jongdae: what a liar. I know you are watching drama

Namjoo: good if you know, now let me watch this first

Jongdae: Can We Love?

Namjoo: No. We can't. 

Jongdae: thanks to let me know. Bbyong!

 

Namjoo: You know it's the drama title right?

Jongdae: I know, who doesn't?

Jongdae: So… you meant that can we love?

Namjoo: still no, jongdae. 

 

Namjoo giggled when she tapped the send button. 

 

***

 

"It's eight months already, Jongdae," Chunji growled, in front of them was a big plate of fried chicken. They had their chicken-beer-night, the usual tradition every second saturday of the month. 

"No," The beer can made a sound as he was opening the lid. "The timing is still not right," 

"That's why you've always been called Jongidiot since junior high school," Chunji shook his head. "Because you are this idiot," 

"As long as you have this face, it's okay to be an idiot," 

"Yes, please. Be handsome but idiot," Chunji shrugged his shoulder, "And tomorrow you'll see that Namjoo would be taken," 

"That's why you've always been called mean boy since junior high school," 

"Come on, Jong," Chunji took a piece of chicken wing from the plate, "You make the timing on your own. Confess!" Although Chunji knew Jongdae since seven years ago, it was still amusing to see Jongdae's dual personality. Chunji was the only person who knew about this. He was always overflowing with confidence in every department yet being a in front of the girl he liked. It was not a new story; Lee Minyoung from the class next door or the part timer in convenient store Kwon Nara. It was always like that. Chunji was always there to encourage him, but it was frustrating as hell to convince Jongdae doing the first move. 

"But how about our friendship if she says no?" Jongdae ruffled his hair. Namjoo was always being part of them since the soccer gathering day eight months ago. Their friendship deepened without them knowing, so was Jongdae's crush. According to the man-knows-everything Lee Chunji, it was no longer a crush. It was love. Jongdae shuddered once he heard about his idea. "And if she says yes?"

"Stop being such a , Kim Jongdae," he frowned while throwing chicken bones to the empty plate. Jongdae remembered what he told Sehun last time and it came back to his self. "Is it a cliche teenage drama? Be a man and confess!"

"But the time…" Chunji shoved piece of chicken leg to his mouth. 

 

***

 

Jongdae was standing in front of the mirror, "You have the personality, you have the face," he patted his both cheeks, "You can do this, Kim Jongdae!" 

 

***

 

BZZZZZ!

Jongdae: Bbyong!

Namjoo: i'm trying to learn here. 

Jongdae: So Yookyung is Doyoung's daughter?

Namjoo: I'm also in shocked

Jongdae: so you are not learning. good to know, Kim Namjoo. 

Namjoo: you're watching drama like an ahjumma.

Jongdae: you are ahjumma yourself. 

Namjoo: I'm girl

Jongdae: I'm boy so what

 

Jongdae: this director's name is Oh Kyungsoo?

Namjoo: yes

Jongdae: Oh Kyungsoo is like… If Kyungsoo marries Sehun, his name would become Oh Kyungsoo right?

Namjoo: --___--

 

Namjoo: it could also become Do Sehun actually 

 

Jongdae: if we get married, you don't have to change your last name

Jongdae: Kim Namjoo before Kim Namjoo after

Namjoo: I want to it become Jung Namjoo

Jongdae: like with Jung Hyungdon?

Namjoo: *smashed* it's Jung Jihoon! 

 

***

 

"Training on sunday?" the whole team glared their eyes to Luhan and Xiumin who led the meeting. They were already exhausted from an hour practice, 45 minutes meeting, and now the captain announced something that they couldn't accept with healthy mind. 

"But it's sunday!" Tao started to whine with nasal voice. 

"Yes, it's sunday and it's training day," Luhan seemed unmoved from his decision. 

"But captain! It's sunday!" Baekhyun shouted from the corner. 

"You only repeated what he said, Baek," 

Xiumin gave them a pity eyes, sometimes Luhan could be so hard when it came to practice and training, "You know that the Seoul Soccer Competition is getting near," he stated. 

"You know how it's important to us, right?" Luhan waited a reaction from the team. 

"I know it's important for you," Jongdae mumbled in his seat, earning a glance from the captain. He shrugged his shoulder, "But you know how our sunday it's important to us, right?"

A bunch of yes and that's right could be heard in the room. Luhan rolled his eyes, "Okay. Give me reason what's so important," 

"I'll go to my brother's wedding!"

"Your brother married last month, Baek,"

"I'm going on a date,"

"Chorong would also come on sunday,"

"I have wushu training on sunday!"

"It's acceptable,"

"I also have wushu training with Tao!"

"You said it's not your style, Kris,"

"I'm going to study," Everyone turned his head to Sehun and scoffed. 

"Make up something believable, Maknae," Luhan sighed. "It's final. Sunday at 10am, except Tao," 

 

***

 

Four Handsome Boys

(tap here for Group Info)

 

Sehun: Let's bail out 

Baekhyun: from the training?

Chanyeol: Are you crazy? Lu Ge would be mad

Sehun: R U Crazy? 

Sehun: It's sunday!

Baekhyun: I'm in.

Chanyeol: Oh I don't know

Sehun: Lame

Chanyeol: F u

Sehun: Lame

Sehun: Lame

Jongdae: Lame

Chanyeol: are you joining Sehun 

Jongdae: I'm in 

Sehun: Baekhyun Hyung did you rename our group chat?

Baekhyun: Yehet Boys sounds wrong, Sehunnie.

 

Ohorat Boys

(tap here for Group Info) 

 

Chanyeol: I'm in. 

Sehun: Yehet!

 

***

 

"Where are the troublemakers?" Luhan checked his board once more, before realizing that five people didn't show up, included Tao. 

"Don't call them like that, Lu," Xiumin poked his cheek. 

Luhan laughed, "Okay, okay, but if they don't appear in the next fifteen minutes. I swear I will give them punishment,"

Namjoo who was there by chance took out her phone and texted the boys. They are dead now. 

 

***

 

"." Chanyeol didn't even try to whisper after reading the text message. Some heads turned to see who were too dumb to shriek in the cinema.  Jongdae raised his eyebrows and whispered, "What's wrong?"

"If we don't come in 15 minutes, there will be punishment," 

Sehun casually looked at his watch. "In fifteen minutes we are still in Hongdae if we go now,"

"So?" Baekhyun turned his head, "Continue watching?"

Jongdae shrugged his shoulder off, taking the pop corn from Chanyeol's hand. "Continue watching,"

Chanyeol rubbed his temple. He knew it was a bad idea from the very first. 

 

***

 

BZZZZZ!

Jongdae: Bbyong!

Namjoo: I hate Jihyun's mother in law! can someone slap her on the face?

Jongdae: you are not learning! *shocked

Namjoo: I hate you kim jongdae

Jongdae: *evil smirk*

 

Jongdae: have you consider about my offer?

Namjoo: whaat

Jongdae: to marry me one day; you don't have to change your family name

Namjoo: when marry you means ending global poverty then yes

 

Jongdae: Don't you think this Taeguk little boy looks like a younger Kyungsoo?

Namjoo: What's with kyungsoo every time

Namjoo: are you having crush with him or what

Jongdae: are you jealous or what

 

***

 

"So tell me, what's so important that you all didn't come on Sunday," Luhan folded his hand, in front of him were Jongdae and Sehun. Luhan was a great Hyung and superb captain but from experience no one would mess up with him when it came to soccer. No one. No one except the troublemakers. They somehow didn't get it. 

"Something important came up," Sehun tried to buy time. 

"Such as?" 

"Just tell them the punishment, Lu," Xiumin couldn't see anymore that his dongsaeng being questioned like five years old boys. Sometimes the baby face captain could be so mean. 

Luhan sighed but still listening what Xiumin said. He always listened to him actually, "You know that our clubroom is always this mess," 

"No…" Jongdae whined. If they said that their clubroom was like a storehouse, that was an understatement. The club was always like that since a year ago, no one had the chance and time to do the clean since they were always busy with practice and campus life. Chorong said once she wouldn't clean everything up alone; beside Suho won't allow her, she was also as scary as Luhan sometimes. One time Luhan had gathered all of them to tidy up but no one appeared by the end of the day. So this punishment was a golden chance for him to use it. 

"Please, anything, but Hyung please don't…" Sehun was trying to do his aegyo to melt Luhan's heart but what would his aegyo mean if Xiumin Hyung sitting there, being cute without effort?

"Please clean up the clubroom," 

"Noooo!" Jongdae rubbed his face with his palm, he knew that Luhan won't change his decision. 

"Two hours of sunday training is still nothing compared to this, right?" Luhan smiled, seemed satisfied to see their sadness. "Let's go, Xiumin-ah!" 

"Evil!"

 

***

 

"Don't you dare to leave me alone, Oh Sehun," Jongdae pointed the Maknae with brush on his right hand. 

"But, Hyung… I have a make up test with Prof. Lee," he gave Jongdae his pity eyes. 

"Stop giving me puppy eyes," 

"You know how it's important to me, right?" 

"But Baekhyun and Chanyeol are also nowhere to find," 

"They have another punishment for bailing out from PE," he got a message from Chanyeol earlier. "I have to go, Hyung!" Sehun half run toward the door, "I will call emergency for you!" 

 

*** 

 

"Jongdae?" 

Jongdae turned his head, he was looking awesome with napkin covering his hair and handkerchief around his nose to prevent dust. Such a perfect look. 

Namjoo bursted into laughter, "Oh my God, you look awesome with those things," 

He immediately removed the napkins and the handkerchief, "Stop laughing, Kim Namjoo," . Why should she come when I am at my worst? 

Still laughing she was trying to explain that Sehun sent her here to help him. Say goodbye to Yehet and Ohorat, Oh Sehun, you'll die tomorrow. 

"I will help you to clean this messy club room," she smiled. 

"But it's our punishment, not yours," 

"But you are alone," Namjoo tied her hair together, Jongdae swore at that second, he would kiss Oh Sehun for calling her. "I saw Baekhyun and Chanyeol earlier," she shook her head. "Trust me, cleaning up this club is waaaay better," 

 

***

 

"Finally it's finished!!!" Namjoo flopped on the bench. "I will kill the three of them for not being here," 

"I thought you helped me voluntarily," 

"It's before I know that it would be this tired," She pouted. Jongdae laughed, he took bottle of water from his bag and gave it to Namjoo. "Thank you," 

The second he saw Namjoo gulped down the water, he realized what Chunji said was true. You made the timing on your own. He didn't need such a perfect timing, because she was already perfect enough. He just needed a time where they felt comfort with each other; when he was grateful only with her presence alone; when she was laughing because of his joke, or he was because of her. 

"Why are you staring at me?" Namjoo asked the boy. She looked at the half full water bottle in her hand, "Oops, sorry, I almost emptied your bottle. Here," 

Jongdae took the bottle, still staring at his best friend, now or never, Kim Jongdae. Now or never. "Namjoo-ya,"

"Eum?" Namjoo ruffled her hair, "My hair is a messed," 

"I want to say something," 

"What are you being so formal?" she raised her eyebrows but still didn't seem care. "Just say it," 

"Thank you for being here," he gave her a subtle smile. He was trying to control his self all at once; his breathing, his pulse, his brain, not to mention his heart which was thumping like crazy, "I… I like you," 

And he swore it was the most heart wrecking moment ever; the silent pause between them, his trembled hands, and how Namjoo blinked several times before bursted into laughter, "I like you too, idiot! I thought you would say something serious," she pushed his shoulder with her arm. Jongdae frowned, there was something off with this scene. "You don't have to say thank you. Just buy me tteokbokki and kimbap in front of the campus, okay?" 

After said that, she rose up and went toward the door. Jongdae was still petrified in his seat. I did say I like her, didn't I? 

"Kim Jongdae!!! Are you coming? I'm hungry!" 

 

***

 

"What's so important that you couldn't wait until saturday?" Chunji sat in front of his best friend. This time in front of them were soju and udon since Jongdae needed accompany in their favorite street stalls. 

Jongdae asked another short glass to the Ahjumma behind the counter before pouring full his glass with soju, "I already said it like a man, you know," Chunji raised his eyebrows, didn't understand. "to Namjoo," 

"Did you… get rejected?" Chunji asked him carefully. He took the bottle from Jongdae's hand right before he poured a glass for him self. 

It surprised him to see his best friend laughed, a second he thought that he went crazy; but he couldn't get more crazier than his self, "Me?" Jongdae pointed his self between his laugh, still cocky as he was, "Me? Getting rejected?" 

"So…?" still suspicious with his best friend behavior he squinted his eyes, "You are not?" 

And Jongdae stopped to laugh all of a sudden, making him thought of another possibility: he was drunk. "She said that she also likes me," 

"Is it a good thing then!" Chunji patted his shoulder across the table. "Cong…"

"… and she laughed. and she asked me to buy her tteokbokki and kimbap after that," his soul had already left his body when he said that. 

Chunji went silent. Jongdae too. 

Pouring each of them a glass of soju, he said, "That's, my friend… what's called… being friendzoned,"

 

***

 

"Good Morning, Namjoo! Can I sit over here?" 

Bang Minah. Namjoo raised her eyebrows a bit before nodded and shifted to side, pressed the urge to ask why she didn't take a seat in her usual spot. Unlike Minah, Namjoo didn't really have special seat. She sat everywhere and beside everyone, since she had outgoing personality and didn't really mind to befriend with anyone. On the other side, Minah was always surrounding by her clique: Hayoung and Yerim, not that she had problem with others, but you know that kind of popular girl in the college? Yes, Bang Minah and her clique were definitely one of them. Minah was popular because she was member of broadcast club, her voice was always greeting the students the first time in the morning, since she was holding 'Good Morning Baby' from Seoul University Radio. Kim Yerim was the part of study council, while Oh Hayoung was popular because she was Oh Hayoung. 

Last time Namjoo sat side by side with her was just pure coincidence, she came late for finance class and there was only one seat left beside Minah. She recognized her immediately as Jongdae's legendary fans. Every member of soccer club had already known who she was. And vice versa, Minah knew who she was, soccer club manager plus Jongdae's best friend. There was also a rumor that they were going out, but it was directly defended by the fact that Baekhyun, Sehun, and Chanyeol were always around. 

Minah caught Namjoo's glance to empty seat beside Yerim across the room and she grinned shamefully. This time, it was clearly no coincidence involved. 

Namjoo smiled, "Do you want to ask about Jongdae?" she shot the question. 

Happy that the girl was also outspoken like her, Minah cupped her chubby cheek, supporting her elbow on the table, "I'm actually ashamed to ask you like this. But it's one year already and he doesn't notice me at all, you know,"

He did notice you. How couldn't he? 

"I mean, I know he knows that I am exist," she looked at Namjoo with her narrow eyes, it was no different even if she glared it big. "But… you know…. I like him," Namjoo raised her eyebrows for the nth time, Minah was kind of unexpected. She was blunt. "I think you already knew?" 

Namjoo smiled, "Who doesn't? I mean… you are the legendary fans," 

Minah pouted her lips, "That's exactly what I meant. I'm not just another fans, you know. I like him," she sighed, "He doesn't have any girlfriend at the moment, right?" 

Namjoo shook her head. Forever Single was Jongdae's middle name according to Baekhyun. "Does he have someone he likes?" 

"You do think that I will tell you his secret?" 

Minah grinned, "Busted!" she gave Namjoo puppy eyes, her killer aegyo, "So, he does have someone he likes…."

Call her stupid but Namjoo felt a little bit guilty since she had nothing important to keep about Jongdae "Actually…no," She shook her head once more, this time a little bit unsure. Namjoo-ya... I like you

"Good!" Minah clapped her hand but she stopped a moment after, "And you? You aren't in relationship with him, right?" she made another effort to glare her eyes, "I don't believe it, but you know, rumors are everywhere," 

"NO!" her voice went unconsciously one octave higher. "We are not!"

"You don't like him or something?" 

"Are you starting to question me?" 

Minah laughed didn't seem sorry at all, "Sorry, I just don't want to compete with you. I won't win anyway," she winked at the girl. "Are you sure you won't regret it?"

She let out a scoffed.

 

***

 

Still attached to the drama on the TV, Namjoo glanced her phone on the table. Jongdae was a little bit late today. 

 

BZZZZZ! 

Namjoo smiled. 

And the smile went away a second after.

 

Baekhyun: wazzup

Namjoo: I'm trying to learn Baek

Baekhyun: hahah funny. 

Baekhyun: I want tuna sandwich for tomorrow! 

 

 

 

 

I enjoy writing this more than I should; and also about the soccer club and the troublemakers! thaaaank you for the upvotes and comments and supports! I know it's a cliche story hehe ;) Bear Hug for nicorobin who overdosed on Jongdae lol Thank you for the trailer R! I love it to the moon and back <3 you guys, please watch her masterpiece in the foreword. 

have you heard 'when I was when you were' Chen ft. Krystal? gosh it's so sweet and it kinda reminds me of this fic ;____; 

i would be happy if someone also watch the drama can we love, don't you think taeguk is like kyungsoo's miniature?