17th Month

Love Is Timing

To: Kim Namjoo

Come to cafeteria at 3pm. We'll celebrate something

 

To: Byun Baekhyun

Something? What thing?

 

To: Kim Namjoo

just come baby boo. You won't regret. There will be a lot of food

 

To: Byun Baekhyun

FOOOOOODDD!!! 

 

"Congratulation and celebration lalalalala," Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Sehun made a small choir in the cafeteria that evening, welcoming the not-single-anymore Kim Jongdae. 

Jongdae came with big smile plastered on his face, "This is not something you should celebrate," 

Baekhyun gave the paper crown he made earlier to Jongdae, "You are the king of the day," he rubbed his two hands, "We've already ordered Jajjangmyeon, Sweet Sour Pork, and Jjambong,"

Jongdae gave them a judgmental look, "Are you trying to feed the king with peasant's food?"

Sehun did headlock to the older, "Be grateful, be grateful," 

Chanyeol opened his message, "Namjoo said she would be here in 5 minutes," 

"She will come too?" Jongdae mumbled. 

"What's with the question, Hyung," Sehun frowned. 

"Ah! Where is sister-in-law?" Baekhyun sat down and distributed chopsticks and bowl. "Is she not coming today?" 

"Stop calling her sister in law," Jongdae glanced his watch, "She should be here in any minutes. She took the same class with Namjoo, remember?" He took a seat in front of Sehun and beside him was Chanyeol who was face to face with Baekhyun. Jongdae's heart thumping like crazy and he didn't even know why. Was it because Minah? Was it because Namjoo? He felt a little bit guilty not to tell Namjoo about his brand new relationship. They declared themselves as best friend… but they kept secret from each other like a stranger. Jongdae scoffed, it was her who did first. She didn't tell anything about him and Siwan. He reassured himself.

Sehun waved his hand to the cafeteria entrance, Kim Namjoo. "Sit over here!" He patted the seat besides him. 

Namjoo's eyes beamed looking at the amount of food that they bought, "Whoa! We really celebrate something here!" she put down her bag on the bench and took a seat besides Jongdae. 

Sehun pouted and rose up, "I said sit over here," he half dragged Namjoo and seated her beside him. 

She frowned a little but didn't really mind, "When I sit there, I have the best access to sweet sour pork you know," she protested, but still busy with the chopstick she stole from Sehun. "What are we celebrating? Has someone got A+ in a test?" 

Baekhyun grinned, he was happy that Namjoo didn't know about the news yet. Wait until she knows about it. She will pop her eyes out. "The seat was already booked," 

Chanyeol winked at the girl who keep munching her food. Namjoo frowned, "What do you mean?" 

Jongdae was keeping his self busy with the Jajjangmyeon. Call him coward, but he didn't want to be the one who tell Namjoo about the news. 

 

BZZZ!

To: Kim Jongdae

I am in the entrance 

 

His heart really fell to the ground. This is the time. He was backing the entrance so he had to turn around, to see his girlfriend, the one Baekhyun's waving his hand to. He mumbled, "Here she comes," 

As Namjoo was still matching the puzzle why was Bang Minah coming to their closed clique, the trio troublemakers had already stood up and begun to sing, "Congratulation~~~ and celebration~~~" Jongdae tried hard not to glance Namjoo's reaction. His ears were buzzing from Chanyeol's loud voice beside him. 

Still puzzled with the whole situation (more like her brains refused to believe what she already had guessed), she was dragged to stand up by Sehun and clapped awkwardly, "Are they… getting together?" she whispered to Sehun. He nodded enthusiastically, "Two days ago. After the world cup opening," 

She was trying hard to maintain her expression, glanced at Jongdae who now picked her up in the entrance. Two days ago… 

Minah grinned as she approached the table, "This is too much," she said, automatically seating beside her new boyfriend. 

"I've said that to them but they ignore me," Jongdae defensed his self. He took a new bowl and a chopstick, gave it to Minah, earning a "Wooo~~~," from the boys (You know that kind of woo you get when you do cheesy things with your bf). She grinned as a thank you. 

Trying to ignore the scene, Namjoo was keeping her self busy with the food, even though she wasn't hungry anymore. It was like watching a drama on the television about a lovey dovey couple. 

Minah caught her eyes and flashed a smile, "I want to go with you here but you are already disappeared directly after the class," 

She cleared , "Congratulation for your relationship!" she faked a smile. "I still remembered the last time you told me about your crush on Jongdae and now you are getting together!" 

Minah blushed, "I am indeed a happy girl," she glanced at Jongdae who was busy taking more jjambong to his plate. 

"Hwoaaaa… Kim Namjoo," Baekhyun turned his head, "Your reaction was far from what I expected," 

Namjoo gulped down a lump on , "What did you expect? Making fireworks?" 

Chanyeol nodded, "At least you popped your eyes out because from shocking," 

She rolled her eyes, "Yeah right, popping my eyes out," more likely dropped my heart from shocking. 

"What I don't understand," Baekhyun chewed his noodles, "That you rejected Im Siwan Sunbaenim," 

Jongdae was frozen for a moment, didn't believe what he heard. He stopped his eating movement, finding it hard to swallow his food. Chanyeol and Sehun turned their head to Namjoo, "You are almost crowned as business man's wife. Why you ruined your chance?" 

"Did he really ask you out?" Minah asked in curiousness. She knew that the rumors flying around, but it was the first time to hear from the first source. She stole a glance at Jongdae who petrified in his spot, "Are you okay?" she put the water glass in front of him, who emptied it in a second. Namjoo's and Jongdae's eyes met unconsciously and avoided each other one second after. 

"He asked me out," Namjoo answered the question, hanging her words so that she could make up a reason. "But I… don't know him,"

"Geez… What's lack from him?" Chanyeol shook his head. 

Jongdae put a piece of pork on Chanyeol's plate, "Let her eat in peace, people," he said, "And mind yourself first, please. You three also don't have any girlfriend at the moment," 

Meanwhile Sehun, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol were busy throwing paper tissues to Jongdae, Namjoo said to Minah, "Just eat your foods. They are always childish like this," Minah smiled and nodded, threw away the worry that always occupied her mind. 

 

***

 

Namjoo walked into the house without sound, making Sunggyu shrieked in his spot as he saw the maknae went upstairs to her room, "Yah! Kim Namjoo! You should greet the family first when you arrive," Sunggyu ruffled his back hair, it wasn't usual that she didn't say anything back. 

Sunggyu knocked her room twice before opened it and found Namjoo was lying prone on her bed, "What happened? Have you eaten yet?" The girl nodded in silence, hiding her face in the piled pillow. Sunggyu sat on her bed, remembering what Yoobi said today as he told her he was rooting Siwan together with Namjoo. 

 

"Don't be an ignorance brother, Gyu," she said. "Listen and observe what she really wants to do, with whom she really want to be," 

 

"Did something happen at the campus?" Sunggyu guessed carefully. He and Namjoo were always so close, they played well together, but she never approached him first when she got problems (with school? with boys?). It always Woohyun's task. 

Namjoo shook her head, her face was still buried in the pillow, "I'm just tired," 

"Did you fail in one of the subject?" he was still guessing, hoped secretly that she would nod. It was easier if she had problem with school instead of…. boys, love, or relationship. 

She still shook her head, "No,"

"Is it about your… study plan…" he remembered about the news she brought home some days ago, but she shook her head again. 

"Something happen… with… Siwan?" he frowned at his guess. "Did he make you cry?" Namjoo sat up, her nose and her eyes were red. She wanted to hold her cry at least until Sunggyu went. But she knew he wouldn't do that anytime soon. "Did he really make you cry?" Sunggyu was prepared to punch him on the face when she shook her head once more. 

"I am the one who made him," she whispered. And a second later, her defense was broken. Sunggyu was taken aback by her tears. 

"Then… why…" Sunggyu took the tissue from the table and wiped her sister's tears. 

"I don't know," she rubbed her eyes but the tears wouldn't stop flowing, "I supposed to be happy for him… but why I am crying right now," 

Sunggyu patted her head, still didn't understand what she was saying. 

 

***

 

To: Kim Jongdae

Are you okay? You looked pale as you left cafeteria earlier. 

 

To: Bang Minah

I'm 

 

Jongdae threw his cellphone hard on the couch. , this wasn't something that he was expected, that Namjoo would reject Siwan and moreover that her decision affected him this much. He shook his head in silence, Maybe we are really not meant to be. From the first time what Namjoo needed was a best friend and he promised his self to be one, but it was way too hard to be her guardian from behind. 

 

He took his laptop and opened a war game to distract him, just for being thrown ten minutes later. And about Minah, he sighed again. She's a nice girl. She really doesn't deserve to be treated like this. I promised her to try. And that's what I suppose to do. 

 

To: Bang Minah

I'm okay :) should we go to Hongdae tonight?

 

***

 

"Welcome in Mango6!" a waitress welcomed her as she walked into the coffee shop. 

Namjoo nodded, scanning the whole shop immediately. She knew she was ten minutes late, "Where is she?" 

A girl with long brown hair waved at her from the corner of the shop, "Namjoo! Here!" 

She smiled and approached the table, "Have you waited for too long? Sorry, I have to hand in my paper first,"

"Paper?" Minah frowned, "Do we have any assignment to hand in?" They took the same courses this semester, so it was strange that she didn't know about the paper thingy. 

Namjoo swished her hand, "That was for something else," 

"Ah, okay. Do you want to order your drink first?" 

Namjoo rose up and made an order in the counter; mango milk shake was the best beverage in the summer. She took a glance at Minah who was playing with her cellphone; cute, beautiful, maybe a little bit too loud; but she was still a nice girl. Yesterday Minah sent her a message that she would like to meet. She knew that Minah would talk about Jongdae and she still didn't know if she would (and could) support the twos. She scoffed in her mind, Why can't I be like the brave girl on the dramas? Tell the love opponent honestly that she couldn't support their relationship, telling her that I also like the main character? Telling her to fight fairly and supportive? Why can't I? 

She took her drink and sat in front of Minah, "So… what is it all about?" she slurped her drink, "Jongdae?" 

Minah flashed a smile, "Let's put Jongdae on the side. I really like you, you know. I want to befriend with you," 

Namjoo raised her eyebrows slightly, is she living in the drama? "O… kay," she spelled her answer slowly. "I rarely have a girl group or girl best friend, or whatever you call it. I have three brothers at home and as you know, I hang out with the Troublemakers all the time, and not to mention being a manager of soccer team. I… I am not as interesting as you thought," 

Minah laughed, "That's why I found you are so interesting. We are completely different. I have a little sister at home and as you know, I hang out with Yerim and Hayoung all the time, and there is just one boy in the broadcast club. So…"

Good, now you make friend with your rival, making it even more harder to say no. "Just see if it really works out," she smiled. 

Minah clapped her hand, "Yoohoo! I don't want to push you, really. But I think we have the same personality? You are blunt, me too," she was happy with her new friendship. "And… I need a little bit help from insider, actually," she smiled again, "You will cheer my new relationship with Jongdae, right?" 

Namjoo gulped down her feeling, This is not a teenage drama, maybe we are just not meant to be. If it's not for Minah, then it's for Jongdae. What he needs now is a best friend, and being supportive is what best friend do. She nodded, "For sure," 

Playing with her drink, she thought a bit more about what Minah said and she shook her head secretly. No, she didn't think they have the same personality. For sure. 

 

***

 

To: Oh Sehun

Let's go karaoke

 

To: Kim Namjoo

Let's go!!

 

To: Oh Sehun

I'm in Gangnam. I wait for you in Mango6 across the main junction. 

 

To: Kim Namjoo

Wait. Are you serious? 

 

Sehun ruffled his back hair, did something happen with Namjoo? Because she was rarely suggesting something like this. Normally it would come from Jongdae or Baekhyun. And she wrote the message personally, not in the kakao talk group like usual. He was still ruffling his back hair. 

 

***

 

"O! OOEEYYOOO! OOEEYOO OO! COME ON!" Namjoo and Sehun sang their heart out. This was the first time they reserved the karaoke room for just two of them. Sehun looked at the girl and she actually acted like normal but there was something bothering him since the first song she picked. She refused to sing the sad song ("We come to have fun! Why should we sing sad songs?") and she even ordered beer. Something happened, he thought. The combination was just not… Namjoo. 

After sang three more songs and finally lose their breath, Sehun opened the beer lid and gave it to her, "Here! We are like an unemployed, really," he shook his head, "Karaoke box and beer in the evening?" Namjoo laughed and gulped her drink. Sehun stared at her before deciding to ask her, "What happened?"

She lost her sparks in a second before building it again, "Nothing,"

Didn't want to push her further, he just smiled, "Just tell me if you have problem okay. I would gladly help you," he grabbed a mic before an idea passed his mind, "Before the next song, why don't we call Jongdae Hyung if we really want to have fun? He can…" 

"No," too fast. She failed to give a proper reaction after hearing his name again. 

"But it will be…" Sehun hanged his words, realizing her changing reaction. He put the mic on the table, "Oh my god, Kim Namjoo…" 

And that second, she knew… that he found out. 

 

***

 

To: Kim Namjoo

Good day new day! Fighting!

 

To: Oh Sehun

Good day new day! Fighting!

 

***

 

To: Kim Namjoo

Have you eaten? 

 

To: Oh Sehun

I have. See you in the cafeteria later okay. I'll come with Minah

 

To: Kim Namjoo

Should I pick you up

 

To: Oh Sehun

no. I have legs.

 

**

 

To: Kim Namjoo

Are you okay?

 

To: Oh Sehun

STOP SENDING ME MESSAGE YOU GIANT! I'M OKAAAAAAAYYY

 

To: Kim Namjoo

I just want to know you rude kid

 

Namjoo chuckled seeing Sehun's last message. As much as she was annoyed by his messages, it made her so much better. After spilling the stories in the karaoke room (of course with edits in some parts *cough* kiss *cough*), she knew that he was worried about her. He would glanced at her time to time when they were at the same table with Jongdae and Minah, making sure that she was comfortable. He tried to be the shield between Jongdae and her, not leaving them behind alone. Namjoo smiled, everything would get better in time. We are back on the right track. 

 

***

 

Not like the usual dinner, the Kims were eating their food in silence. Sunggyu stole a glanced at Namjoo, so did Woohyun and Hoya, First, Sehun and then this derps, can you make it more obvious, brothers? Namjoo put her utensils, making a loud klang on the plate. The sounds woke the boys up and they immediately acted to enjoy the meal deliciously, "Okay, tell me. What happen?" She crossed her hands on the table and confronted the boys. 

"Nothing," Hoya took a fried egg, distracting the girl from her question. 

"Oppa!" she turned her head to Sunggyu, "You told them, didn't you?" 

"No.. He didn't tell you were cryi…" Woohyun shut his mouth after realizing he spilled the secret. Hoya face palmed his self.

"Are you okay, now?" Sunggyu put away his plate, concentrating at his sister. 

Namjoo grinned, "I'm okay now, so don't worry. And looking from your faces, you want to know what happen," she shook her head and chuckled, "You are too obvious, you know. But nothing happened. No one made me cry. So you don't have to punch anyone," 

Hoya reflexed his muscle, "Just tell me if someone ever bothered you okay," 

She made a salute gesture, "Sir, yes, sir!" 

"You seem okay now," Woohyun smiled, put another fried eggs on Namjoo's plate, "Ah! Sojin Noona called from San Fransisco yesterday. She asked you if you are prepared and ready to go," 

Remembering about her study plan, she answered, "I will call her later," she sighed, "So many things to do, so little time,"

Hoya ruffled her hair, "I don't think the time will come so soon, for us to say goodbye,"

Namjoo laughed, "That's why you should treat me well from now on," 

 

After washing the dishes and watching some random drama with Woohyun, she was back in her room, deciding to prepare some of her paper. Without everyone's knowing, she registered for two years course abroad. Last week, between her down sides, she got an answer from University of San Fransisco, telling her that they had a seat for her. Surprised and taken aback by the news, she only got to tell her brothers and her family. It was a good thing that she had a relative who lived in SF, Park Sojin. She helped her to prepare everything, also for her flight in two months. 

Namjoo took a photo from the drawer, that was the same photo that Jongdae put on his locker door. It was a good thing to take a break from everything. Jongdae and Minah were not her reason to go abroad, but by the end of the day she was relieved that she could avoid to meet them. And when she was back here in Seoul two years later, everything would get back to normal. She smiled to her perfect plan. 

 

The problem was, how to bring that up in front of the boys. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n

A&Q

Did Jongdae know about Namjoo's feeling has changed? No. 

Did Minah know about Jongdae's true feeling to Namjoo? No. Not really.

I think I dragged the story little bit longer, so if you felt the story is unclear or didn't understand some part of it,  just leave a comment :) thank you. 

 

For you who a little bit annoyed because of Jongdae's and Namjoo's fate, just remember what I've written in the forewords. This is a simple love story, just the timing wasn't right (ready to be strangled lol)