12th Month

Love Is Timing

"So, you are part of study council now?" Chanyeol asked the girl beside him. He was kinda missing her presence. It was so difficult nowadays hanging out with Namjoo who was busy with her new organization. When she came to soccer practice, she was only there to distribute their lunch and water before disappeared again in the next second. She was like that for two weeks already and still counting. 

"No, Chanyeol-ah," Namjoo was facing her lunch and ate in a rush, causing her choke her self. Chanyeol gave her his water bottle while patting her back, "Thanks. I already told you, I'm helping Sohee Sunbaenim for preparing our campus birthday," 

"But you look exhausted," Chanyeol looked at his friend who now collecting her stuff, ready to go. "With your assignment, soccer club, and now this organization,"

"It's just for awhile. Don't worry," Namjoo gave him a smile and a small pat on his back, "Now I have to go. Please say sorry to the boys that I can't wait for them!"

Chanyeol waved his hand, they even couldn't eat together these days. 

 

***

 

"Where is Namjoo?"

"Still busy with her stuff," 

"But I have bought 5 donuts for us," 

"I will eat two then, Sehun-ah,"

 

***

 

"So Namjoo, have you checked if Standing Egg available for replacing Nell?" Im Siwan came over with his iPad. He was the president of the Event Section in Study Council, so it just natural for him also for heading this temporary organization. 

Namjoo bowed slightly before answering, "Yes, I've already contacted their manager and she said that she will come later today to sign the contract," 

"Good job," he smiled. "You've worked hard," 

She wanted to go to arrange other things when Siwan called him once more. "Namjoo-ya," she turned her back, "You look pale, don't forget to eat something before you back to work,"

 

***

 

Baekhyun was still panting when he arrived beside their table. Sehun and Jongdae looked at him with uninterested gaze while Chanyeol shifted to side to give him space to seat. "I.. heard… something…"

"What's wrong with you, Baek?" Jongdae was still playing with straw in his mouth, "Say it properly,"

"Kim Namjoo," 

"What's wrong with her?" Sehun looked left and right but didn't see Namjoo anywhere, "she was still busy with organization thingy,"

"The Study Council asked her if she want to join their team instead of Soccer Club,"

Jongdae smashed his coke bottle on the table, Sehun closed his laptop hard, and Chanyeol took his bag, seemed ready to attack the study council room anytime. 

"Are you saying that she should leave soccer club?"

"That's what I said," Baekhyun rubbed his face. 

 

***

 

The meeting was finally over, Namjoo was so tired today. She had to attend morning class and then doing laundry for twelve wolves, since Chorong Unnie had to run errand for her Professor. After the boys came to practice and left the laundry to Jongin and Yixing, she had to sprint to student council room for the meeting. Although Siwan Sunbaenim said that he could understand that she came 10 minutes too late, she had guilty feeling to make all of them waiting. Twenty minutes after that she even had to send message between the meeting to Jongdae, reminding him about the sandwich boxes (Kris-Tao-Yellow, Red-Suho, and Yixing-Jongin-Kyungsoo-Blue).

She put her head on the desk, she was the one who left in the study council room. She wanted to take a ten minutes nap when Siwan peeked his head to the room, "Are you not going?" 

"I have to check something, Sunbaenim," Namjoo made up everything that passed her mind, didn't want to be busted that she needed to rest. 

Siwan smiled, "Don't forget to turn off the air conditioning before you go, okay?"

She was immediately turning it off after Siwan went. She rested her head on the desk, slowly thinking if she really should let go the offer to join study council. Her body couldn't take it anymore and it's not like she could leave the boys alone. But Siwan said that being a part of study council would make her CV looked better. 

 

Namjoo was waking up in shock, realized that she fell a sleep for thirty minutes. She collected her stuff hastily, she had to go to check the stage design. She was taking aback when she found sandwich and banana milk in front of her, with a post it 'Just go home. I'll check the stage design later. Fighting, Kim Namjoo,' 

A second after, she also realized that the air conditioning was still on. 

 

***

 

"What is this all about?" Namjoo looked at her friends with confused eyes. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sehun, and Jongdae sat side by side in front of her, while she was alone. It was like she was being judged. 

"It's intervention," Chanyeol opened the event. 

Namjoo sighed and rolled her eyes, "Okay, finish your intervention in ten minutes. I have to go," 

Baekhyun stared at him and started, "We feel like you are hanging out too much with your new organization,"

"What?" Namjoo looked at the boys in disbelief. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"… We feel like you are forgetting us," Jongdae pouted. 

"… And ditched us," this time was the Maknae's turn. 

"You are all exaggerating," she defended herself. "And the organization isn't even the permanent one, it's just for birthday preparation, remember?" she sighed, a little bit annoyed. "Okay. Now is my turn,"

"No, we are not finished yet," Baekhyun cut her words. 

"No, this is my turn because I said so," She talked to Baekhyun, sometimes he should be taught who the diva was. "First, I am your friend but I can befriend with whoever I like. I like to hang out with you guys, because you are fun. But don't make me leave this clique just because this stupid intervention. Second, we are not in high school anymore. Third, I'm not forgetting you all, even more ditched you," she turned his head to Chanyeol, "Yeol-ah, what is this all about? I can understand if Baekhyun, Sehun, and Jongdae did it, but you?"

"Hey, what's wrong with us?!"

Chanyeol pouted, "I think we should really do the intervention to prevent you are leaving us,"

Namjoo was taken aback, "What? Leaving you? Why?"

"Leaving the soccer team," Sehun felt that he needed to speak up. "You got the offer to join the study council and leaving the soccer club, right?"

Namjoo laughed and rose up, went across the table. This was their turn to look confused with her behavior, she even gave them a group hug, "Who says that I would leave? I have already rejected the offer, you know. Ah you all are cutie pieeeee!"

The boys looked ashamed while Namjoo was still giggling. She didn't know why but, it's kinda nice to know that the boys still needed her. 

 

***

 

"Is that Im Siwan Sunbaenim?" Baekhyun asked Sehun who was busy tying his soccer shoes. Sehun glanced over for a second before deciding not to pay attention to him. Baekhyun nudged him on the arm, "Hey, do you hear me? Is that Im Siwan from Business Department?"

Sehun hissed, "That's Im Siwan. So?" 

"What is he doing here?" 

Jongdae joined their conversation, "Watching our practice, what else?"

Suho who was sitting beside Jongdae was also glancing over, "Yeah what is he doing here?" 

"That's so obvious that he want to watch our performance," Sehun didn't understand why the olders made a commotion about him. Who is he after all?

"But he never came here before," Luhan took a part from the conversation while preparing the board for the meeting. "He is always busy with study council thingy. Sport is not his things," 

Jongdae smirked, his trolling brain seemed working so well this morning, "Maybe he has interest to someone?"

All the heads turned to him and Jongdae's smirk got deeper, "Chorong Noona? or Minseok Hyung? Seems that he always look over there since before," Jongdae pointed the waiting bench across the field where Xiumin and Chorong were busy arranging their practice clothes. 

Baekhyun caught his friend's troll and added, "Oooh… That's why," he even rubbed his chin for a better effects, "I think you are right," 

"Yah! Kim Minseok! Go back here! I need your help!" Luhan's face turned red, giving them hard time to held their laugh. 

Suho didn't bother to call his girlfriend. He run across the field and wrapped his arm to her shoulder obsessively. The boys laughed hard. And one of them stopped abruptly when Chanyeol said, "Namjoo is also over there. That means he could also have interest in her!" 

 

***

 

"The test week is just around the corner guys!" Baekhyun sat first on their usual seat in the cafeteria, following by the others. "Why don't we study together again in Jongdae's apartment like last year?" 

"Excuse me, Baek? Did I hear wrong?" Jongdae stared Baekhyun in disbelief, "Are you inviting them to my house?" 

"Excuse you, no," Baekhyun shrugged his shoulder off. "I'm inviting my self to your house,"

"But it's a good idea actually," Chanyeol gave can of cola for each of them, "We can learn together and order chinese food and when we are bored we can play with your Wii, Baek,"

"Excuse me, Yeol? Did I hear wrong?" Baekhyun stared Chanyeol with the same manner with Jongdae, "You tell me to bring my precious Wii to his house?"

"Come on, guys," Namjoo groaned behind her economic books. "Repeating sentence game is getting old," 

"Excuse you!!"

 

After quarreling around they agreed to meet on Jongdae's apartment since he was the only one who lived alone. Namjoo lived with her family (Sunggyu, Woohyun, and Hoya--remember?) so it's a big no to invite another three guys to their house. It would be too much work for her mother. Jongdae moaned a second after her house being crossed from the list. He always wanted to meet the mighty Kim Sunggyu, the king of online games according to Namjoo's story about his brother ("I thought we gather to learn not for gaming, Jongdae,")

Sehun lived in the dorm with very minimal furniture-- a desk, a cupboard, and a bed ("I study informatics. I just need my laptop and my smart brain,") so it's natural to also cross his room from the list since he didn't even have enough space for four of them. 

Baekhyun's house was outside the town and their time would be wasted if they decided to take 90 minutes bus from Seoul ("Now you know why I always spend my day and night in Chanyeol's apartment, right?") 

And Chanyeol lived with her sister, Chorong. Namjoo didn't believe her hearing, she didn't know all along that Chanyeol and Chorong were siblings ("It's Park Chorong--Park Chanyeol, I think it is clear enough,"). Chanyeol and Chorong were hardly interact in the campus, not just because they had different major-- Chorong from Finance and Chanyeol was together with Baekhyun in Engineering-- but other reasoning was because Suho was always around ("Ah! That's why Suho always treats you well,")

So the last choice was again-- Jongdae's apartment. He lived alone in the town, no one bothered them for being extremely noisy. Moreover, his apartment was quiet big for all of them. ("I'm suspecting he is actually as rich as Suho Hyung,") 

 

***

 

"Sorry I'm late, boys!" Namjoo walked into the kitchen where they were studying. Last year Sehun made a commotion that he couldn't fold his long legs if they studied in living room with coffee table as pad, being considerate of the giant, they agreed to move to the kitchen. 

"Did you finish your things?" Chanyeol took his bag from the chair, giving a seat for the girl. 

"Yes, the design of the stage is approved, so i am at ease for now," Namjoo put five cups of coffee in the table, "coffee everyone?"

"Coffeeeee!!!" Baekhyun throw his pen in the air, he was on the halfway solving a problem with Chanyeol. 

Sehun took one of the paper cup, "You bought the same flavor?"

Namjoo grinned, "I don't know what you like, so I bought the…"

"Americano?" Sehun cringed after tasting the coffee. He hated americano, it was too bitter for his palate. "It's Jongdae's favorite!"

Jongdae flicked Sehun's head, "You should be grateful, Brat,"

Namjoo sipped her coffee, "I thought you all like the same taste," she didn't look too sorry though. She knew she needed more than one cups for staying awake. 

"I love peppermint mocha with marshmallow," Baekhyun informed Namjoo, looked at the americano with disappointed face. He would like to drink it if only he could, "Vanilla Caramel for the maknae, and Toffee Nut Latte for this giant. And as you knew, as plain as he is, americano for him,"

"And why you tell me all of this?" 

"Just in case,"

 

***

 

"You know what is the day I've been waiting?" Jongdae tapped spacebar on the keyboard plenty of times. Beside him was Chanyeol who busy defended attacks from Jongdae by pressing shift and A button.

"The day you finally win from me?" 

"I win from you everyday," he scoffed. "You dead, giant," his character attacked Chanyeol's on the screen. Chanyeol moaned as he saw his character blowed up. 

"Once more," the taller clicked the yes button direct after the countdown started. He picked the same character, earning a smirk from Jongdae, he's surely not learning from his mistake. "So, what is this day that you've been waiting?"

Jongdae also picked his favorite character, "Our university birthday," 

"Why?" he realized that he didn't have enough coins to buy another weapon. 

"Because finally Namjoo finishes her work," he said with normal tone, with eye still attached to the display. "And we can hang out together again," 

Chanyeol glanced his friend for a second before answering, "I guess you're right,"

 

***

 

"I can't calculate this things anymore!" Baekhyun threw his pen in the air and rested his head on the table. Jongdae, Sehun, and Namjoo threw judgmental look to the loudest. Chanyeol was trying to explain the calculation to Baekhyun before the latter lose his temper. 

"Concentrate, Baek," Chanyeol put another pen in Baekhyun's palm. "Let's do this until the delivery comes,"

"TEEEEEET"

"Delivery!!!" Baekhyun threw his pen once more. 

 

***

 

"One more week, team! Let's keep up the good work!" Siwan ended the meeting. 

 

***

 

"Assaaaa! Kim Namjoo!" Chanyeol looked happy to see the bottle pointed the girl, he was still holding grudge from the previous round. "Truth or dare, young lady?"

"Truth," Namjoo said cockily. She didn't really have secret they could dig in and actually she had slightly fear of what Baekhyun and Jongdae would come up with if she chose dare, "Bring it on,"

Baekhyun rubbed his palms, "Let me asked her," Namjoo let out a scoff, "If we were the last four men left in the world, who would you pick as your lover?"

"Are you secretly in love with me or what?" Jongdae felt relieved he wasn't the one who came up with the question. Namjoo rolled her eyes, "Is it a truth or a dare? I believe I said the first one,"

"Just answer, Kim Namjoo," Baekhyun demanded. Beside him, Jongdae was anticipating her answer. Maybe… 

"I pick to be a nun," Namjoo said in serious tone. 

"Don't be shy, you can pick me if you want," Jongdae spoke up, hoping that he wasn't too obvious. 

"If you see my quality, then you will know who's the best," Chanyeol rubbed his chin for a better effect. 

"Geez, when I should then… Jongdae," she said, making the boy grinned in happiness. "At least I have nice apartment to live," 

 

***

 

68th Birthday of Seoul National University. 

 

"It's finally the D-Day. Fighting!" Siwan dismissed the team after the last meeting. The open house began at 2 pm, so the visitor could walk around the campus area. There were also dozens of booth which built around the area; foods, beverages, merchandize, games, and more. The soccer club got also one booth near the park area. They promised switching to guard the booth. 

At 5pm the Kpop dancing contest on the main stage would begin, following by small concert of Standing Egg, Clazziquai, and JRabbit. Fireworks party was planned to close the event at 9 pm. 

Namjoo was going all over the place since this morning, checking the stage, listing the booth, and contacting the manager of the music groups. Since she was the one of the younger in the team, so it was natural to work a little bit harder than the others. 

Jongdae and the boys were sometimes accompanying her to go around, giving her candy, coffee, sandwich, whatever she needed. She was even free from the responsibility to guard the soccer booth, looking from what she had to do. Jongdae looked the girl with pity eyes, "You didn't sleep well yesterday, did you?" 

Namjoo sighed, "I just slept for two hours and I woke up in sudden," she yawned. "I had a bad dream that the event isn't doing well," 

Jongdae patted her head softly, "You've worked hard, Namjoo-ya,"

"When the Band comes, then my job is over. Soyu would take over," 

"Hang in there,"

 

Namjoo was finally finished her works. Clazziquai, Standing Egg, and JRabbit was already in the waiting room, ready to be called by Soyu, the who responsible for the main event. Namjoo flopped on the plastic chair in the waiting room, feeling exhausted. If she could, she would go home right now and sleep in her fluffy bed. She closed her eyes a bit, trying to ignore the loud music from the last group of the Kpop dancing contest, it was BtoB with Beep Beep. What a good companion to sleep.

"Namjoo-ya," she felt a warm hand caressed her hair, she opened her eyes slowly. 

"Jongdae? What are you doing here?" she asked with sleepy voice, surprised finding her best friend in the backstage. It should be off limit. 

He smiled, "Are you okay?"

"I'm just sleepy," she said. "Let me sleep for an hour and then we could see the fireworks together with soccer club as promised,"

"Are you fan from Clazziquai, Standing Egg, or JRabbit?"

Namjoo shook her head, "I'm a dedicated fan of Rain, you know," 

"Good," Jongdae smiled once again before grabbed her hands.

"Where are we going?" Namjoo asked her friend once more. "I'm tired, Jongdae-ya,"

"You will thank me if you know,"

 

Jongdae brought her to the rooftop, at that time all of the students were swarmed in the stage area, so there was no one on the rooftop. Jongdae had already prepared bench with cushion, a warm drink and kimbap from convenient store. 

"Jongdae-ya…." Namjoo looked surprised and touched to see what her friend prepared. It was simple but it was the thing that she needed the most right now. 

Still holding her hand, he dragged her toward the bench, "I know you didn't get enough sleep and you didn't eat your lunch properly today," he sat her on the bench and covered her lap with a thin blanket. He took the thermos flask and pouring the warm chamomile tea to a cup, "Here, your favorite tea. You don't get any coffee tonight, since you have to sleep…" he glanced his watch, "… in ten minutes,"

Namjoo grinned and took the cup from Jongdae, while he opened the kimbap for her, "You don't have any kimchi?" 

"Should I ask for it?" 

Jongdae was ready to rise up when Namjoo held his hand, "I'm just kidding,"

He was hoping that the dim light covered sudden blush on his cheek. He cleared his throat, "Yeah… you need to be grateful. Who in the world would take care of your meal if it's not me?" he hoped it wouldn't sound too awkward. 

Namjoo enjoyed her meal as looking below where the stage was. They still could see the glorious stage and hearing the noises, even though it was difficult to catch the song. Namjoo smiled and though it was like two different world. 

After eating the whole kimbap ("As expected from Kim Namjoo," he got a hit on his arm after that), Jongdae fixed her blanket, telling her to go to sleep for awhile. "Don't worry about the soccer team okay. I will call Baekhyun later if you are too tired,"

Namjoo nodded slowly, she shifted her seat slightly so their body was right next to the other. Jongdae was frozen on his seat when Namjoo rested her head on his shoulder. He could feeling the overwhelming emotion on his heart, making him thought his heart would burst from happiness, "Jongdae-ya,"

"Eum," it was not he didn't want to answer properly, he just couldn't. 

"Thank you," she wrapped her arm on his, adjusting her position so it's more comfortable. She didn't realize that the boy was petrified on her right. "Jongdae-ya,"

"Eum,"

"I heard from Minah that you are good at singing," she is slowly closing her eyes, blending with her surroundings: the far noises from the stage below them, the crickets, and Jongdae's soft breath. 

Jongdae raised his eyebrows, Minah? Since when Namjoo is close with Minah? He decided not to pay attention to the name, "I'm not.."

"Can you sing me a song?"

"What?"

"Please?" Namjoo let out a nasal aegyo from her nose, making Jongdae died in happiness. "So that I could sleep better," 

Jongdae cleared his throat once more, "But you have to sleep before the chorus okay,"

"Promise,"

 

 

for meeting you and being able to touch your hair

for meeting you and being able to breath, looking at each other

for being hugged and being able to let the tears flow when it's tough

I'm so fortunate...

for the beautiful world that knows you and placing you here

 

Jongdae was holding his breath, the feeling inside him nearly bursted out. The dim light, the crickets sound, the rose fragrance from Namjoo's hair, her warm hug in his arm, and her soft sleeping breath. He loved her for one year already, but there was no sign that she had the same feeling. He knew what she was seeing him as a best friend, the trolling Kim Jongdae. All the touch, the conversation, the teasing, it was only there because she was comfortable with him. Being comfortable with a crush was always a wrong sign, according to Lee Chunji, the one who he could trust about this whole feeling. 

Jongdae knew he had to snap his mind right now, but the other side of his brain told him that there would be no next time. He rubbed his face with his free hand, didn't really get to think straight, his feeling was strong. But he knew, if he did it, all of the things he had with her was being betting on the line. 

He hunched to the side slowly, he could feel his trembled hands and her warm breath. The second passed slowly, now he could see her thin lips. He decided to close his eyes before pressing his lips against her, softly. At that moment, he swore he loved this girl to the moon and back. 

 

 

 

 

I promised you it should be a short fiction yet I wrote 4000 words for this chapter alone -,,- I'm sorry. Can you sense that the troublemakers and Namjoo's friendship got deeper? when no... then... I'm such a bad author. -..-

And chen's cover of It's fortunate is like....shajdfhskdaj *melting*