19th Month

Love Is Timing

"Good morning!" Minah opened the door happily. Yerim and Hayoung changed gaze, chuckled a second after. Minah put her bag on the table, looking her best friends with her widened eyes, "Why?"

"It is too obvious that you are happy because of your boyfriend," Yerim shrugged. 

Minah was still confused, "I just greeted you both normally,"

Hayoung moved her point finger, "I don't know what, but it's different. Your smile is wider and… holy God, you are more beautiful day by day," 

Yerim nodded, either agreeing what Hayoung said, or just wanted to friend, "I think what people said is true, when you are getting prettier when you are falling in love," 

Minah pinched her cheek, though her smile was getting wider. "Don't play around!" she sighed hopelessly, "Whatever. Asked me why I can get a good sleep nowadays," 

"Because you sleep with your boyfriend?" Hayoung teased the girl, just for getting pushed on her arm a second after. 

"Why do you get a good sleep?" Yerim asked, her tone was nowhere near curiousness, just for making her friend happy. 

"Because Jongdae sings for me over the phone every night!" Minah pitched higher, covering her face with her hands in shyness. 

Yerim and Hayoung curled their hands, "Aaaaww! So sweet!"

 

Behind them, there was someone who hardly concentrated with her thick book, found the story wasn't so sweet at all. She growled secretly why she should hear the conversation the first time in the morning. 

 

***

 

Chorong, Luhan, and Minseok stood in front of the strategy board. Smile drew in their faces, "So… the reason we gather you this afternoon…."

"Hyung~~ cut the speech," Sehun whined. They had already gone through two hours practice and he couldn't wait any longer to go home. "We are tired,"

Kris nodded, "Yeah, and this is friday," 

Luhan shook his head, doing surprise for these kindergarden fellows didn't really turn as well as he thought. Minseok grinned, "Don't be like that, we will announce a good news," 

Excitement and expectation filled the air. Luhan nodded in agreement, it was really a mystery how people always hear what Minseok said and not him. The vice captain had indeed a charismatic genes in his blood, "You have to cross out all of your schedule next week," 

"I bet you will say that we have to do extra training for the next championship!" Baekhyun rubbed his temple.

Even Kyungsoo frowned and whispered to Jongin, "Don't you think Luhan Hyung is too much? We did our best in the seoul championship,"

Tao pouted, "Please give it a rest, Hyung. Even though we were just in the third place, we still won medals," 

The whining and disagreement were heard here and there, again, Luhan face palmed his self, "Can't you all please hear first what we want to say?"

Minseok patted the captain back, smiling, "We proudly announce… Soccer Club MT!!!!" 

The members were silent for a second before shrieked and clapped their hand, "MT?? Minseok Hyung!!! Did you say MT?"

Baekhyun danced in joy with Tao, while Kyungsoo high fived with Jongin, "We are going to MT! MT! MT!"

Kris patted Luhan shoulder, "This is the best decision you have ever made, Captain," 

 

***

 

"We are going to MT! MT! MT!" Baekhyun was still in joy after the announcement. They were in cafeteria, didn't really sure what they were doing. The weather was just too hot and humid for a thick faculty guidebook and they gave up on whatever they tried to play since ten minutes ago. All left was just the excitement for the MT event. 

Chanyeol waved his hand to the entrance and they knew that Namjoo was arriving, "Here!"

"We always sit here, by the way. She knows already where she head to," Jongdae commented, still enjoying his ice popsicle. 

Baekhyun welcomed her a little bit too warm, he wrapped his hand around her shoulder, "Woah, Byun Baek, go away! The weather is too warm and you are too sticky after practice," 

He just laughed without being hurt and patted her head, "I miss you, that's why," 

Jongdae raised his eyebrows secretly, admired that Baekhyun could say the line without being awkward. Namjoo put her documents on the tables and sat beside Sehun, "Did he eat something bad?" 

Chanyeol shook his head, "You will also do the same if you hear this news," 

"What news?" 

"WE ARE GOING TO MT!" The troublemakers shouted in unison, making all the students turned their head. 

"What?? What MT? MT! Soccer MT!" Namjoo dropped her jaw, "Wow! Captain always makes a good decision lately,"

"MT! MT!" Sehun clapped his hand, "I can smell the sea and the sand, campfire, fireworks, and seafood! Happiness!" 

Baekhyun turned his head, "Wait. Has Luhan and Minseok Hyung already decided where we would go?"

"Beach of course!" Chanyeol shouted as if Baekhyun asked something rhetoric. 

Jongdae fanned his face with a pamphlet, "It would be nice, but I can smell he will ruin our happiness by going to mountain. Saying that mountain's air is good for our skin and all,"

Sehun snatched his cellphone on the table and immediately texted the captain, "I will be the first person who protests,"

Namjoo laughed, "When it would be?" 

"Luhan Hyung said it would be next week, but Suho Hyung and Tao still have exams so it is postponed until two weeks from now," 

Namjoo counted secretly. Two weeks. And then she will have another two weeks to prepare things to go to San Fransisco. Gosh. How the time flew and she had to tell the boys immediately. She didn't know why she keep pushing it, maybe mostly because she didn't want to see their disappointed faces. "Two weeks right…" 

"Why?" Sehun caught Namjoo's worry face, "Don't tell me that you have something to do," he unconsciously glared Jongdae between his words, making the older frowned a bit. 

She collected her cheerful voice and pinched Sehun's cheek, "I do have something to do, but I guess I'm okay with the plan," she rose up and asking the boys, "I want to order ice tea, would you like something?" 

"Ice tea also for me," Baekhyun sipped his empty plastic glass and tossed it to the bin beside him. 

"You had your second ice tea already," Chanyeol furrowed his brows, then raised his hand, "Me too, ice tea,"

Because Baekhyun unordered his tea, while Jongdae and Sehun satisfied with their popsicle, Namjoo went alone to the counter. The troublemakers were still chatting when Sehun's hand wandered around Namjoo's documents blindly. It was Jongdae who sat face to face with Sehun, discovered a big logo of 'University of San Fransisco' in one of the paper. 

Chanyeol stopped whatever he was trying to explain after saw that everyone paid more interest to the paper on Sehun's hand. 

"Did she tell you something?" Sehun whispered loudly, after he read the whole acceptance letter. "About San Fransisco?"

"What? What was written there?" Baekhyun snatched the letter and he felt his breath became heavier, Chanyeol peeked out over Baekhyun shoulder, trying to read at the same time. 

Jongdae, meanwhile, still sat on his bench, intertwined his fingers together. He knew that he had the feeling that he wouldn't like whatever written on the letter. 

Baekhyun frowned, he didn't find it amusing at all that Namjoo didn't say anything about it beforehand, "She is accepted in San Fransisco," 

"For two years course," Chanyeol continued, his hand was still holding the paper. "Damn it," 

"Ice tea delivery!!" Namjoo was coming with her cheerful voice, frowning when the four of them stared at her with straight face, "Hey, what is with the atmosphere?" Namjoo caught the opened documents in front of Sehun and then paper in Chanyeol's hand. "Did you rummage my stuff?"

"Is that something you should say right now?" He was standing across the table, still with his frowning face. 

Namjoo came over and snatched the paper from Chanyeol's hand, "Still-- this is my stuff and you don't have the right--"

"When would you tell us, then? Tomorrow? A week later? After MT? or one day before your flight?" Jongdae asked sarcastically. 

Namjoo was silent, this was definitely not the way she wanted to tell the news. She sat on the bench and sighed, "I'm sorry, I really am. That's just a lot of stuff going on and…" 

Sehun shook his head, "But you are too much…"

"Sorry," 

"When will you go?" Chanyeol was the one who still sane, even though he was upset that Namjoo kept it secret for awhile. 

"In a month…" she ducked her face, didn't dare to meet eyes with the boys. "I'm sorry, I really wanted to tell you all,"

Baekhyun sent a last glance to the girl before collecting his stuffs, "Should I be happy now because of MT? MT my ," 

"Yah! Byun Baekhyun!" Chanyeol held his arm before he ditched him and left the cafeteria. 

Jongdae did the same, "Sorry, Namjoo-ya, we are happy with your choice but not telling us was just…" he shook his head, and left. 

Chanyeol did the infamous biting lips, he patted her shoulder. "Jongdae was right. We are happy for you, but… you should tell us earlier," 

Sehun rubbed his temple, "Why so sudden?" 

"I registered about months ago. I don't know if I would be accepted," 

"That's what I said. Don't you think you are too egoist? I thought we are best friends," Chanyeol threw her his disappointed face, "I'll call you later, Namjoo-ya. I'll go after Baek and Jongdae now," 

Sehun was the one who stayed beside her. He knew that Namjoo was through a lot of things for the past months and he didn't want to put extra weight on her shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"I'm sorry, Hun-ah," she was grateful that Sehun stayed, but he still had the disappointment on his face. 

"Why?" Namjoo frowned, didn't understand one word question he asked. "Why did you decide to go to San Fransisco? Is it about Jongdae Hyung?" 

"It's not like that!" her tone pitched higher. "It's not about Jongdae, okay?" Sehun was silent. He couldn't be really happy about her sudden decision, whatever the reason was. "I don't apply because of him. But… I lie if I say I am not relieved not to see Jongdae and Minah together again," Namjoo looked at her friend, "I can't stop thinking that when I am back two years later, everything would be back to normal," 

"You are just running away," Sehun put his big hand over her bang. He sighed, grinned at the girl, "At least you will be back after two years," 

Namjoo sipped her ice tea, "I feel bad for you guys,"

"Don't worry, we just love you too much," he stole her drink and sipped it slowly, "Being a good friend is so damn hard. You still have to support your friend even though you know you don't want to,"

 

***

 

To: Byun Baekhyun

Don't be like this Baekhyun-ah. I've said sorry. Take my call! 

 

To: Park Chanyeol

Chanyeol-ah. I'm sorry. Talk to meeeeee Yeol

 

 

***

 

Jongdae was lying on the couch when Baekhyun and Chanyeol came to his apartment. They knew his password code so they would came time to time to bother their friend, "Where is Sehun?" 

"He sticks with her," Baekhyun answered, placed his on the carpet and snatched the remote control. 

Chanyeol was the one who still felt bad about leaving her behind. It was the second day they didn't speak with Namjoo at all, even worst than the last time Namjoo got busy because of university's anniversary. "At the end we are the bad friends, aren't we?" 

"But Jongdae-ya," Baekhyun nudged the boy, "Don't you think you are too much? You are not coming to practice. Luhan Hyung asked about you," Didn't want to hear his nagging, Jongdae fixed his position, rolling around so his faced Baekhyun who sat on the floor. The latter slapped the facing with back of his hand "Yah! Don't give me your !"

"Baekhyun is right, even though she's our manager, but I don't think it's right that you bail out from the practice," the taller changed gaze with Baekhyun, they felt that Jongdae took the anger a little bit too far. "And, I think we should go find her soon," Chanyeol sighed, "We have no time left, you know. She will go in a month," 

Baekhyun nodded, "Even though I hate to see her goes, but we have to make this month to be the best month in her life," 

"Yeah, it's hard but we have to support her," Chanyeol patted Jongdae's back. 

Jongdae sighed hard, and threw the cushion on the couch. "Yah! KIM JONGDAE!" Without saying anything, he went into his room and slammed the door hard behind him, leaving his two best friends alone in the living room, confused. 

 

***

 

"I thought you were on a date with your boyfriend?" Yerim raised her eyebrows after seeing Minah came into the cafe, sat down beside Hayoung. 

"Is that your greeting? Aren't you happy to see me here?" Minah pouted, taking the drink on Yerim's hand and sipped it before her tongue was shocked by the taste, "Bleh! Americano!" 

"That's why you should ask first," Hayoung put her chocolate milkshake in front of Minah, letting her washed out americano's after taste. "What's with your plan?"

Minah shrugged, a little bit annoyed by the fact Jongdae called off their movie date, "He said that he was tired from the practice," she faked a cheerful winked, "and as a good girlfriend, I let him sleep instead of watching movie with me," Yerim and Hayoung nodded, let the things passed easily, "I will order drink and some cakes okay,"

Minah rose up and went to the counter, sighing secretly. As a big fan of the team, every soccer practice was neatly written in her agenda. And now, after becoming Jongdae's girlfriend, the practice was also as important as her own schedule. But this afternoon, she waited for an hour just for being asked by the vice captain, where her boyfriend was. She hated it when she shook her head, admitted that she didn't know why he wasn't coming to the practice.

 

***

 

Chunji got into the tented restaurant with wide smile-- which disappeared a second after he saw his junior high school friend, "Again. This face again," he whined, taking a seat in front of Jongdae, "Can you please get rid the sad face of yours before you call me?" Chunji looked at him with worry face, after seeing him not affected by his tease. "What now?" 

Jongdae ordered another soju glass before his hand went through his hair in frustration, "Namjoo--,"

Chunji sighed, secretly muttered, "who's else?"

"-- she is moving to San Fransisco by the end of the month,"

"What?" although with the question word came out from his mouth, it sounded like a shock bark. Chunji felt he already knew her from a long time just only from Jongdae story, "How? Why?"

Jongdae moved his plastic chair slightly towards the table, "You asked the right question, why. Yeah, why has she decided to move?" Chunji felt that the question was referred to his self. 

Chunji furrowed his brows, "Don't tell me it's because of you. It's not something like that, right?" 

Hearing the rhetoric question, something that bothered him the last two days, he could only sigh and shrugged his shoulder. 

 

***

 

Right after they came in to the manager room, Baekhyun set the fan to the fastest spin and flopped his on the bench, beside Chanyeol. "This is too hot, I can't," Chanyeol nodded, felt to weak to speak. His hand was busy flapping his soccer shirt, taking wind as much as it could. "We have to give proposal to Luhan Hyung to buy another fan. We are fourteen people, one fan is not enough," Chanyeol again, nodded. "And now we can't sit in the cafeteria like before,"

"Why?"

"Why what?" Baekhyun looked at the taller with confused look, "We are angry at Namjoo, right?" 

"Baek, I think it's the time for us to forgive her, right?" Chanyeol said. "Chorong Noona was angry at me yesterday because she knew we made a commotion about the news. She said that she deserves to be angry because we act like five year old kids,"

Baekhyun wiped sweat on his temple with his arm, "I actually thought the same, but you know… Jongdae…"

Chanyeol sighed harder, either because of what he would say next or simple because of the hot weather, "Yeah, he is a little bit…," he shrugged, "Maybe because he's closer to her than us?"

"Yeah, whatever, so what's the plan? We can--" Baekhyun cut his words after hearing a loud BAM from the outside. Chanyeol raised his eyebrows, gestured him to move nearer to the door. Surely, they were old enough to know that eavesdropping was not very nice things to do, but what choice they had left? Trapped in a manager room, they couldn't get out, not, if they knew that the two persons outside were both in rage. 

 

***

 

"So, tell me now," Jongdae closed the door behind them hard. He knew that everyone were on the field, still sitting around the spectators area after Luhan and Minseok bought a box full of ice popsicle ("Luhan Hyung really spoils us lately, what happened with him?" "Did something good happen?" "Maybe they finally get together!") So from now, club room should be empty. 

Namjoo was several step ahead him, pretending to be busy with her basket of laundry, "What should I tell you? I've already apologized,"

"I don't want to hear your apologize," He stopped her movement, moving the basket beyond her reach. He was not moving when Namjoo gave him her annoyed face. 

Namjoo still didn't get it why was Jongdae getting angry with her. He should be happy for her, shouldn't he? Or at least-- pretending. They became skillful about acting for the last months. "Then what?"

"Tell me why you have to go to San Fransisco," it didn't sound like a question in her ear, more like a demand. And she hated to hear it. Why should this boy make everything more complicated?

"What should I tell you?" she asked for the second time, but this time with a higher pitch, "I applied and I got accepted!"

"Stop acting childish, Kim Namjoo," Jongdae bit his lower lips, exhaled slowly, he was annoyed and Namjoo still played hard to get, pretending not to understand his question. Why. It was more than clear to know what he meant. 

"Childish?" Namjoo repeated, she squinting her eyes, didn't expect that kind of sentence would come from his mouth. "Tell me--"

"When you don't like me than tell me, you don't have to run away! I am sorry for everything!" Jongdae shouted. "I am sorry for liking you, I am sorry for kissing you last time, I am sorry, okay!" how he said it was really different with what he said, with what he really wanted to say. "But why-- you have to go? You don't have to run away from me. I am the one who should go," 

Namjoo furrowed her brows, disbelief of what she heard, "You said I am childish? Then go get a mirror! Who was the one who avoided me-- being awkward--"

"You are the one who did that!"

"Yeah right, me, look who's talking right now," she scoffed at his sentence, "You are dating Bang Minah, singing for her over the phone every night! And you still say I am childish?" 

Jongdae opened his mouth before he closed it a second after, processed what she just said. In front of her, Namjoo did the same. "What do you… mean?" Her face blushed for a reason and Jongdae didn't know which one; anger or ashamed. Namjoo pierced her last glance before she walked past him towards the door. 

"Yah! Kim Namjoo!" Jongdae tried to grab her hand, but she ditched it a moment later, slammed the door behind her, leaving Jongdae alone with his thought. "Damn it!!" Jongdae kicked one of the chair in anger, more to his self because he couldn't hold his damn feeling. 

Jongdae turned his head to the opening door sound beside him, there appeared his two best friends, staring each other with confused looked. Surely, they didn't amused of what they had just heard, "I think you have something to tell us, Kim Jongdae,"

 

***

 

Namjoo couldn't hold her tears after her fight with Jongdae, why should Jongdae spill his anger towards her? As if it wasn't hard for her to leave her friends and family behind. Namjoo rubbed her tears with back of her hand when she bumped into someone, "Hey! Where are you? This is popsicle…" Sehun frowned when he caught a glimpse of Namjoo's tears. "What happened?"

She was crying uncontrollably, letting Sehun pat her head and she naturally rested her head over Sehun's broad chest. When Sehun asked her the same question again, she spilled her tears even more. 

 

***

 

Baekhyun was the one who broke the awkward silence after Jongdae spilled the beans in the manager room, of course with the door wide opened, not wanting anyone eavesdropping the story. "Wait… are you saying that you kissed Namjoo? On the lips?" Jongdae nodded, Chanyeol beside him could only cover his face with his giant hand. "And you were falling in love with her… since… since… the first time?" Jongdae briefly counted the months he had fallen in love, but gave up after he passed 12th so he just nodded. Baekhyun remembered about the last time Jongdae on the mood swing, and of course, it was because of Namjoo's rumor with Siwan. It really explained everything, also why he was overreacting about her moving plan. 

Chanyeol let out a big sigh, wondering why the thought of Jongdae liking their own friend never passed even once on their mind. "Not only we didn't speak to Namjoo for three days we also didn't know what happened with both of you," he rubbed his face, "We are really bad friends," 

Baekhyun hit Jongdae's head in a sudden making him shrieked aloud, "Yah! What's that for?"

"Geez! Now I can't face Namjoo ever again," he made a sound with his lips, "You kept secret from us and you were angry because she didn't tell us about her plan! Do you think it makes sense?" 

"I also didn't plan to fall in love with my best friend," Jongdae said it loudly, "Do you think it's easy? And she rejected me for god sake! And I still have to befriend with her and I…"

Chanyeol patted him on the shoulder, "It must be hard, man…" 

Baekhyun dropped his jaw once more, "Oh my god, Kim Jongdae…" 

"What now?" he barked. This is why he didn't want to tell Baekhyun and Chanyeol, they would freak out in their own way. 

"… you are still falling in love with here, aren't you?" 

When Jongdae's eyes became softer and he shifted his gaze to the floor, avoiding four judging eyes pierced him, and that second, Chanyeol and Baekhyun knew that his feeling was real, "I know right? This is stupid…" 

Again, Baekhyun asked the thing that Jongdae didn't want to hear, "But… what is about Minah?" The scene was still fresh in his mind; how he helped Jongdae to get the girl by pushing everyone out of the room. And he was also the first man who grinned when Jongdae told them that he was getting together with the university announcer. Baekhyun covered his face with his hand, sighing, "Oh my God… What have I done…" 

 

***

 

Sehun put the password code in anger. After sending Namjoo to her house, he went directly to Jongdae's apartment. Even though Namjoo didn't say it all, he knew that she was crying after she went into the club room with Jongdae, with laundry basket as an excuse. It really made him angry, how Jongdae didn't consider Namjoo's feeling, just because he didn't know the truth. He went in, took off his shoes blindly, and he realized that Baekhyun and Chanyeol were also there. Good, he thought. 

"Sehun!" Chanyeol welcomed the maknae warmly. He was sitting on the floor, playing wrestling with Baekhyun, while Jongdae sitting on the couch. Chanyeol released his headlock after seeing Sehun's expression, "Hey, what happened?" he rose up and tried to pat maknae's shoulder, when he ditched it. 

Sehun looked straight into Jongdae's eyes, "Please, don't make her cry anymore," Baekhyun and Chanyeol petrified in their spot, knowing who he was talking about. "She would leave in a month, for god sake! When you have a girlfriend then--"

"Wait, Sehun," Chanyeol grabbed his shoulder, this time a little bit firmer, "It's also hard for him…" 

Sehun squinted his eyes, looking at Chanyeol and Baekhyun, "Hyung, you know about this too?" he put his hand on his hips, disbelief, "And you are still not speaking to her for three days? Don't you know how hard it is for her?" 

"We just know about it today, Hun-ah," Baekhyun gestured the youngest to sit on the couch, he assumed that Sehun knew the story from Namjoo's side. "We will make up with her tomorrow, I feel bad right now," 

"You should!" Sehun flopped on the couch. 

Jongdae turned his face to him, biting his lips, "Did she cry? Because of me?"

Sehun furrowed his brows, "It's the second time," he pressed his lips, a little bit anger was still in him. "It is hard enough for her to see you and Minah get together and now you pushed her just because she didn't tell you about her plan? She just didn't want to--"

"Wait," Baekhyun stopped him to speak. Jongdae hoped that he asked the thing he also wanted to know, "What's about Jongdae and Minah? I thought Namjoo rejected him…" 

Sehun pierced his gaze to his favorite Hyung, "At first," the following sentence made Baekhyun and Chanyeol dropped their jaws, and for Jongdae, it was his heart that dropped. "…Before she falls in love with her best friend…" 

 

 

 

 

a/n

Determining to finish this story :) The next update would be this weekend. 

For my friend NDR; who nagged me to update the story and asked about the progress everytime we were on the phone. this is your lovely jongdae Nov! /fyi, we call each other every day/ sigh/