Like a camera

Mirrors

 

At the mere mention of your name, at the slightest sound of your voice,  I cannot help but smile.

Donghae slid his phone to off mode with a big grin plastered onto his face. He felt happy for some reason. After being in the entertainment business for so many years, he finds it harder and harder to go out and do the things guys of his age normally do. Going out on dates, going to the movies, take a stroll by the river, ride the bicycle through the city were all luxuries he could not afford. Sure, he is doing well in terms of monetary but he often feels lonely. He is glad that he is in a group with many members and they still live in a dorm together. He never wanted to live in his own apartment because he really being alone.   

For the same reasons, he finds it harder and harder to be friends with a commoner. Sure he has tons of celebrity friends, some from the same company and some from other companies but all their schedules are often too hectic. With them travelling in and out of the country all the time, it was hard to stay close with them. It was also difficult to go out freely with them since they are easily recognizable too and it would draw too much attention if they were to go out for a meal. Due to this, the only place he gets to meet his celebrity friends is at the backstage of music shows, concerts of on variety shows where there are cameras everywhere.

Its so hard to be normal.

Here, a coffee boy comes along and talks to him like he is a person. This was the first time in years, Donghae felt that the person is talking and treating him like a human being, not someone well know. Call it instinct? He could sense Hyukjae’s sincerity almost instantly which was why he was comfortable talking to him. Not to mention shamelessly asking for his contact number.

“Hyung, do you think we will be done with filming by 5 pm today?” Donghae asked Jung Hoon with worried look on his face.

Jung Hoon paused from packing his bag and turned to Donghae. Among all the members, he felt the most compelled to stay with Donghae for individual schedules because he worries about Donghae the most. He may not be youngest in the group but his child-like personality and pure thoughts about others often instigate others to take advantage of him.

He smiled. “I hope so. Its just a short scene and we will continue the filming tomorrow. So I guess so?”

“I hope so too.” Donghae murmured and diverted his eyes and attention on his phone.

“What’s wrong? You have plans after tonight?”

Donghae nodded and he could not help to smile. His lips were sealed. He has no intention of telling Jung Hoon mainly because Jung Hoon worries too much about him.

“You going over to Grill 5 to meet your family?”

Donghae shook his head and tried to hide his giggling by covering his mouth.

 “Woah. All members are busy with their own schedules tonight, and you are not meeting your family……so? You have date?!” Jung Hoon exclaimed.

“Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hyung!! The whole crew outside can hear you!”

“I am right?” Jung Hoon questioned again with a surprised look on his face.

“Its just a new friend I met.”

“A girl?”

“Nope.”

“Ok thank God. I really hate dealing with all the dating rumours.” Jung Hoon heaved in relief. He turned to Donghae and grabbed his shoulders firmly, “Promise me you will tell hyung when you finally date a girl ok?”

“Hyung! You worry too much ok. Anyway, you know me, I would tell you if I am dating ok. Plus, I can’t lie.” Donghae reassured.

“Good.” Jung Hoon quickly zipped his bag up. “Let’s go now. We will be late.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hyukjae placed his phone back onto the small table next to his bed. He had the off and intended to sleep through the morning but he automatically woke up at 6 am. He recalled that Donghae had a schedule that starts early morning so he decided to send a random ‘good morning’ text to him. He had no idea the exchange of text messages would lead to him meeting them Donghae again today. It was the third consecutive day he is seeing Donghae but he was not complaining at all.

In his old reality Donghae was with him all the time. They were strangers who met and became friends, to colleagues and to boyfriends. Neither of them planned it for course, but after so many years of working together, growing together and going through thick and thin together, Donghae because more than a best friend. It was only recently that Donghae questioned Hyukjae about their relationship. It made Hyukjae think and after so many late night discussions, they decided to officially be together. It was a secret that was only shared between the two of them.

If I cannot be your lover in this life, let me be a friend to you at least.

He yawned sleepily and hugged his huge bolster. At least the bed in this life is comfortable. Staying in bed for the pass few hours had allowed him to think about all his life in this reality. How was he to cope? Are his parents still working hard to earn money? Does he even have any close friends in this reality?

He has no memory of anything here. The only memories he had were of his previous life, the celebrity. It was all clearly etched in his mind. It’s a weird feeling to be living this reality when all of his memories were of a different reality. How was he supposed to move on and live in this reality?

He glanced at the clock next to his bed. It was almost 10 am. Perhaps it’s a good idea to get up, shower and find something productive to do. He had spent his free time to go on the internet to look for clues on how to return back to his previous life. His search was going nowhere. There was nothing even close. He was almost giving up. He figured out that since he cannot go back, he might as well make full use of being here.

He rubbed his eyes as he sat on his bed. Everything in his room looked the same except any award, poster, photos on the wall that is related to his career in Super Junior were not there. He felt more lost than ever. He was not even sure who he was anymore. Lee Hyukjae, the coffee boy? That’s all to this life?

Hyukjae sighed and stood up. He slowly sauntered into the living room and caught sight of his mum sitting on the sofa munching on an apple.

“Omma….” He cried.

“Hyuk ah….you are up. Omma prepared food for you. Its on the table. Eat it after you shower.” His mum instructed.

Hyukjae nodded his head, thankful for the love and care that his mum showered him with even in this lifetime. No matter what, he is relieved that he still has his family in this reality. His mum’s handbag resting on the dining table caught his eyes.

“Omma, are you going out? Your bag……”

His mum laughed. “Aish, silly boy, of course! I have to go to work today. It’s a weekday you know.”

Hyukjae felt a pang in his chest. His mum was still working? She was already aging and frequently experiences aches and pains. He cannot imagine her having to work. She should be relaxing and enjoying life at her age.

Unable to hide his shock and devastated look he asked, “Omma, do you really have to work? Can’t you just stay at home? You need rest.”

His mum warmly smiled. Those eyes never failed to move him. “Hyukjae ah, I have to work because we don’t make enough money for now. I will work as long as I can ok. Don’t worry about Omma.”

He felt his heart broke hearing the words from his mum. He looked down in regret, still unable to shake the frown and worried look off his face and sat next to his mum. He gently placed his hands on top of hers.

“Omma, I am sorry. I should have work harder so you can rest at this age. I am sorry I am a disappointment.” His eyes started to water and he could not stop it from flowing down his cheeks.

He then felt warmth surrounding him. He felt his mum’s arm grabbed his and engulfed him into a hug. “My son, you are not at fault. It is Omma’s responsibility to take care of the family. Appa too. You don’t worry about us and do what you have to do. Whatever you need, tell us, we are family.”

Hyukjae wrapped his arms tightly around his mum. No matter what reality he is in, he felt safest in his mum’s arms. Full of love, care and concern, a mother’s love, it is irreplaceable. It was at that instant he realized who he was. He was Lee Hyukjae. A son to the greatest parents he can ever asked for.

“Omma……I will ………. work hard….. so you …..and…. Appa can …..love comfortably …..one day.” Hyukjae sobbed. He heart ached so much, he wished he could do more if he did not feel so lost. These few words from his mum had helped him make up his mind. He will and continued to work hard in this reality so he can be a success in this reality too.

His mum ruffled his already messy hair and held up Hyukjae’s face to look at her. She lightly wiped his tears away. Her fingers felt so soft, and the more she wiped his tears away, the more trickled down his cheeks.

“Silly boy, what is the matter with you? You feeling ok? You have been off for the past few days….Omma is worried.”

Hyukjae straightened himself up and wiped his tears away in huff. “I am fine, Omma. Please do not worry about me.”

“You sure?”

“Yes. You better get going, I would not want you to be late.” Hyukjae reassured his mum.

His mum stood up and patted his head. “See you later my son. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

Omma, I will be the son you are proud of. Even in this reality.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He guessed an off day was good for him. He decided to stop going onto the internet. Everything in the news was depressing. All the gossips, the rumours , the fan wars, it was too stressful to read. After a few minutes of breakfast in front of the computer, he shut off his computer and started to clean his room. For some reason, cleaning relaxes him. He took his time to organize some clothes and books. Wipe the dust off tables and sweep the floor. He changed his bed sheets and even did the laundry. After all that, he took the mop and mopped the entire house. The entire house was now spick and span.

His mum had cooked in the morning and he had the same food for lunch. He was not really hungry anyway.

He glanced at the clock. It was almost 5 pm. He had to go get ready to meet Donghae. That was the only thing that had kept his emotions intact the whole day. As much as he wants to share his problems with Donghae, it was out of the question. Donghae might think he is nuts and he may not see him again. He does not want that to happen. He had to pretend to be a normal stranger who befriended Donghae. He cannot have any feelings of attachments to Donghae, he just can’t. It will be complicated.

Hyukjae sighed silently again for the umpteenth time. He really hated this but he had no choice. He grabbed his phone and typed in.

Hyukjae: Hello caffeine addict, are you ready for our meeting later? Have you ended work?

He sat and waited for a response but 10 minutes passed and there was still no reply from Donghae. He figured that Donghae must still be working thus he was unable to reply. However he trusted Donghae’s words and went on to get ready to go out. He may be delayed from work but Hyukjae would not want to be late in meeting his familiar friend.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thud.

Donghae had just come into the room and slammed the door to the waiting room open. He looked for his phone in a fluster. He looked at his watch and it stated 5.45 pm and he panicked even more.

“Found it!” He hurriedly slid his phone when he saw so many messages. His eyes were only looking for one message, from Hyukjae.

“Damn it I am late!” he cursed. After reading Hyukjae’s message he gave up trying to type back and decided to call him instead. While listening to the ringing tone and wiping his perspiration on his forehead, he was hoping that Hyukjae would pick up the phone and not be too mad at him for being late.

Hyukjae: Hello?

Donghae: Hyukjae! Its me Donghae!

Hyukjae: Ah yes! The coffee addict. Are we still meeting later? You did not respond to my message?

Donghae: Hahaha. Aish, so sorry. I just ended. I will wash up and drive there but I think I will be late. Perhaps 6.30 pm?

Hyukjae: You can drive here so quickly? Ok ok, no worries I will wait. I am already here at the café hanging. Don’t rush ok. I want you to drive safely.

Donghae: Sure sure. So sorry to keep you waiting again. I will be there. See you later.

Hyukjae: See you! Bye!

Donghae kept his phone in the back pocket of his pants and smiled. He was relieved that Hyukjae is such an easy going individual.

“Hyung, can you drive me back to the dorms now? I need to get my car.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pabo Donghae. Of course I will not get angry at you.  Still a pabo no matter in what reality.

Hyukjae laughed at his own thoughts. Hearing Donghae’s out of breath and flustered voice was hilarious. Actually he knows that sometimes filming can take up the whole day, its difficult to gauge how long they will take. It was understandable.

“Hyukjae sshi, are you waiting for someone?”

It was Luna from behind the counter. For the past few days, he figured that the only 2 staffs working in this café were Luna and him. He may not have created a very good impression on Luna when he first came here to work but Luna was kind and friendly enough to keep talking to him. There must be some other staffs working here on weekends but that remains to be seen. To avoid suspicions, he decided to simply go with the flow and not ask too many questions. Furthermore he does not want to irritate the people around him more.

“Yes.”

“Its not a girl is it? My sister in on her way here and if she sees you with a girl, she will not be happy and I will hear no end of it the whole night.” Luna mentioned again. Luna was pretty loud from behind the counter. For such a petite girl, she was really loud. Thankfully, there were no customers around or Hyukjae would have died of embarrassment.

“What?” Hyukjae asked, not sure what has Luna’s sister got to do with him.

“Very funny. You know my sister and how she is. I am just warning you in advance.” Luna mentioned again before entering the kitchen and disappearing from his sight.

Ok. Calm down. I am sure its nothing. I must know her sister in this reality and even though I have no memory of it, I am sure it will all fall into places later. Right now, I need to focus on waiting for Donghae.

Beep.

Hyukjae felt his face lighted up when he saw his phone lighted up with the notification of message from Donghae.

Donghae: Are you ready? I will be by the roadside in 5 minutes. Can you stand somewhere at the road right in front of your café?

Hyukjae: Right on it.

Donghae: Thanks! See u!

Hyukjae stood up, disposed his coffee cup into the bin and jogged to the counter. “Luna sshi! I am off, my friend is here! Bye!”

He ran out before Luna could respond. He was sure Luna heard him since the kitchen of the café was right behind the counter. It was slightly drizzling and but he was not really bothered by it. He stood by the road as instructed by Donghae. Actually he had no idea what Donghae’s car looked like so he was pretty curious. He kept looking out for Donghae but he was nowhere to be seen.

Suddenly bright lights from a moving vehicle attracted his attention and it stopped right In front of him. It was a grey car and when the window of the vehicle rolled down, he could clearly see the bright smile of its driver.

“Come in quickly! Its raining!” Donghae yelled.

Hyukjae immediately opened the door of the car and entered it. Once he was seated, he tried to wipe his wet face and slightly ruffled his wet hair.

“Thanks for coming to pick me up.”

“Awww sorry man. I was held up. You must have waited so long for me in this rain. Look at you all wet.” Donghae turned to the back seat of the car and grabbed towel out of his bag that was sitting on the seat. “Here, wipe yourself with this.”

Hyukjae looked at the towel and widened his eyes at Donghae.

Donghae chuckled. “Don’t worry its clean! I swear! I keep my gym stuffs in the car in case I feel like going for workout at random times.”

Hyukjae laughed at the panic stricken Donghae. He looked simply too cute trying to defend himself. Actually Hyukjae was surprised that he had a towel in the car, not that he worry that the towel was unclean.

“So, where are we going?’ Hyukjae asked. They were both in the still car.

“Hmm…you know I wanted to bring you to a great coffee place but since you already work in a coffee place, I thought it was a stupid idea.” Donghae explained.

“That is true. But its ok, sometimes coffee addicts are stupid when they have not had their dosage of coffee.” Hyukjae teased.

“Hey! I shall forgive you because I am late today. Hmmph!” Donghae pouted.

That pout that I miss…..its still so adorable.

“So! I thought we could go for a nice dinner and just hang out at some place with a nice scenery….funny how I ended up in your café for the first time because I was wandering around taking photos with my new camera.”

“Oh really? You love taking photos?” Hyukjae pretended to not know.

“Yes! You know, you really remind me a lot of my camera.”

“And why is that?” Hyukjae asked.

“Because each time I see you, I smile.” Donghae cheekily smiled at Hyukjae. He was slightly facing Hyukjae while both of his hands remained on the steering wheel.

Hyukjae burst out laughing. This Donghae is still as cheesy as ever in this reality! “What! Very funny Donghae. Isn’t that a pick up line!” Hyukjae continued laughing.

“Humph! Of course it is! What is so funny?” Donghae fumed and pouted as he crossed his arms on his chest.

“Ok ok, fine I will stop laughing. Are you an aspiring photographer then?” Hyukjae had managed to calm himself from the laughter and composed himself to ask.

Donghae nodded.

“Ok good. Then you can picture us together.”

There was silence. It was slightly over a minute when Hyukjae felt a force slapping his arm and laughter that accompanied it.

“That was a pick up line too! Damn it. Stop being cheesy!”

“You started it!”

Knock knock.

A girl who was holding up an umbrella was standing outside the car. She was standing where Hyukjae was standing previously.  From the inside, she looked like she trying to peek into the car and the knock on the car window was obviously from her.

Hyukjae turned to Donghae with a questionable look. Donghae shrugged his shoulders, looking equally lost. He rolled the window down to get a better look of the girl.

From the car, the girl appeared young, probably in her early twenties. She was in a pink knee length dress and her backpack was hanging loose from her bag. Her long hair was neatly tied into two braids and she was fair. She was pretty.

“Oppa? Where are you going? Who is this?” She voiced as she saw Hyukjae.

“Sorry, are you talking to me?” Hyukjae was not liking this situation at all, especially when its happening in front of Donghae.

“Yes!’ She raised her voice.

“I am sorry, but, who are you?” Hyukjae asked again.

The girls furrowed her eyebrows and appeared angry with Hyukjae’s question. She hit him on his upper arms and yelled, “Oppa! What is this! I am your girlfriend!”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oppsss. Sorry for the cliffhanger. Sorry for all the grammar errors  too. I typed this sleepily. 

Till next chapter!!!!!!!!!! Send me some love via your comments (don't scold me. lol).