Released

Mirrors

“I did it! I was finally on stage and I did not do anything embarrassing!” Heechul exclaimed. The rest of the members all looked at him silently for a second and then burst out into spits of laughter.

“Yah! Chullie! Are you having a fever, you seemed shy in front of our ELF!’’  Kangin asked as he placed his hand on Heechul’s forehead.

Heechul was quick to throw Kangin’s hands off his forehead. “I am fine you idiot!” he hissed. “I WAS shy, what is wrong with me?” he asked himself and placed his own palm on his forehead.

SS5 Manila just ended and the members were all in the van on the way to the airport. Heechul, Kangin, Donghae and Eunhyuk were in the same van while the rest of the members were in the other van. Along with the members, the managers were busy on the phone and laptop. Outside, screams of ELFs could still be heard and as much as they want to stay longer and wave everyone goodbye, the scene was getting more and more chaotic as the minute passes.

“Good job Hyung! You are a natural, I miss you on stage.” Donghae patted Heechul’s back and smiled warmly to Heechul.

“Yes hyung, good to have you back. We all miss you by the way, not just donghaek here.” Eunhyuk chuckled.

“Stop calling me that!” Donghae retorted.

“Lee Donghaek…Lee Donghaek…Lee Donghaek…” Eunhyuk continued to mock increasingly as Donghae could only curl up his fingers into a fist in anger. They were sitting too far apart in the van, if not Donghae would have smacked Eunhyuk’s head or pulled his hair. Everyone in the group knows that Donghae’s favourite past time was hitting Eunhyuk but they found it too adorable so nobody attempts to stop him.

To Eunhyuk, Donghae’s actions such as pushing, smacking his neck and grabbing his arms did hurt. He may have the mindset of a child with his pure thoughts, but he is a full grown man and he is pretty strong. However, Eunhyuk continued to simply let him be, simply because he too, found it adorable even though physically, it did hurt.

“Erm hello, attention on me please. Its my first concert after being released from the army! Yah! Kids! Stop fighting!’” Heechul scolded. It was typical of him to crave the attention from everyone.

“Ok ok, sorry hyung. Now that you are back, you are not going to leave us forever!” Donghae exclaimed and hugged Heechul from behind since he was a seat behind the elder man.

“Yah Lee Donghaek! Technically I did not even leave you guys! I was staying in the dorm with you even during enlistment! Are you crazy?” Heechul scolded Donghae. “Its not like Teukie, we don’t even get to see him. I miss him.”

“Yeah, Teuk’s absence will always be felt because he was often the most talkative.” Kangin laughed.

Behind that laughter, Heechul, Donghae and Eunhyuk know that Kangin missed Leeteuk the most. He did not have the chance to spend much time with Leeteuk. When he completed his enlistment, it was time for Leeteuk to go. Plus, he was also the closest to him, especially after Leeteuk stood by him and defended him during all those times when Kangin was bombarded with bad press and criticism. The friendship between Kangin and Leeteuk was beyond brotherhood.

“This is my first time in Philipines after my army duties too, it felt different.” Kangin added.

“Different like how?” Donghae asked curiously.

“Hmm…I can’t explain it into words. Like, I am more thankful now. I feel more humbled that the fans still remembered me even after I was gone for two years. I even spotted some banners with my name on it! I was so touched, I almost cried.” Kangin answered. “Hyung, do you face the same thing?” Kangin turned to Heechul next to him.

“I know. It just felt different. Its so amazing they still remember us and even cheered for us, even when I was in that stupid evil bear costume. I felt blessed, even more than before. ” Heechul turned to Donghae behind. “Perhaps when you two go to the army and come back, you will feel like how we felt too.”

Donghae nodded.

“But hyung, didn’t it felt good to have a sort of a break for two years? No press, no saesangs, no one following you around, no one posting ugly photos of you online….its almost like…freedom.” Eunhyuk muttered.

Heechul smacked the small face towel in his hands onto Eunhyuk’s shoulders. “Yah! Lee Hyukjae! Do you even remember what it was like before debut? We are lucky to be chosen to debut, we should always be thankful! There are so many trainees now that are way more handsome than you. Count yourself lucky!’

‘Another scolding by Heechul.’ Eunhyuk thought.

“Ouch….yes yes I am thankful of course hyung! Don’t need to hit be so hard!” Eunhyuk grumbled. “ But I do wish I can live like a normal person, you know, go out and shop, eat dinner with friends in a nice restaurant or even read a book in a cosy café…..but I cannot do that now with everyone snapping photos of me every minute.”

Everyone remained silent. On some level, Eunhyuk’s words did carry some truth in it. Since their popularity shot up quickly, they find themselves having difficulties going out in public. Everyone recognizes them, everyone wants a photo of them, everyone wants to talk to them, and they have no more privacy.

They are also recognized when they are not in Korea. The last time they were in Hawaii for a photo shoot, people recognized them there too. ELFs are everywhere worldwide. Their photos on the beach were secretly taken and posted online. All of them were shocked. They never thought that kpop music would reach that part of the world. It’s a satisfying yet, scary revelation.

“Hmm true. But I love being on stage too much. If given a chance, I would still choose this path.” Donghae exclaimed.

“That’s because, you too, always like to be the centre of attention Lee Donghaek!” Eunhyuk added.

“Shut up, hyung look! Hyukkie is teasing me again!” Donghae whined as he tugged at Kangin’s arm. Eunhyuk stuck out his tongue at Donghae.

“Yah! You kids, quiet. You are disturbing manager hyung and giving him a headache with your constant bickering. ” Kangin ordered. The atmosphere became silent again. Nobody really dared to go against Kangin. They all knew he was physically the strongest in the group and that he can beat the crap out of anyone who refused to listen. However, being in the same group for many years, they members learned that Kangin is a softie at heart. He plays the role similar of a father in the group, strict yet loving in many ways.

“Sorry manager hyung. Sorry Hae Hae. You know I love you.” Eunhyuk apologized.

“Saranghaeyo.“ Donghae reciprocated.

“Ok guys, we have to hurry if we do not want to miss our flight. So when we arrived, everyone, please run to the gate.” Manager Jung Hoon instructed.

Everyone groaned in unison.

“Hyung why do we have to rush back? Can’t we stay over just for one night?” Kangin asked.

“Yeah  manager hyung, I really hate sleeping in the plane. Its not really a rested sleep and my face looks horrible when we land at the airport. Aish…all the airport photos of me are really ugly.” Eunhyuk added.

“Don’t you always wear a mask?” Heechul asked.

“Well, yeah….because everyone is snapping away while I look ugly.” Hyukjae answered.

“Sorry guys, you know how tight our schedule is, plus some of you are on weekly and daily shows while others are down for filming etc. Its too messy so we might as well go back together and you can rest at home when we land.” Jung Hoon explained. He is used to the boys’ constant desire to stay longer in each country that they visit, but their schedule was too tight, he had no choice.

“Its ok manager hyung, we know you are doing your best. I wish we can stay longer to visit and be tourist too, there are some places I really want to visit..….well, maybe next time.”  Donghae muttered.

Eunhyuk sighed. They were actually right. They have been to so many countries for concerts, award shows and filming but they have yet to be tourists. Its always land in a country, work, rush back home. Even though Eunhyuk understood that this cannot be helped, he was starting to get tired and sick of it.

His eyes landed on Heechul who was busy checking his phone, Kangin was keeping his eyes closed, hoping to catch forty winks before they arrive at the airport and Donghae was happily bopping to the music from his ipod. Everyone seems happy, why does Eunhyuk feels differently from the rest?

A hand landed on Eunhyuk’s back gently, “Hyuk, are you ok? You look troubled. The concert went well just now. You lead the team well, good job.” Jung Hoon comforted.

“Hyung, its not the concert, I know it went well, our ELF are the best. Its just that I am tired.” Eunhyuk replied.

“I understand. Like I said, you can rest more when we reach home.”

“Not physically tired hyung, I am tired emotionally. I feel like a caged bird.” Eunhyuk murmured. That statement caught the attention of Donghae, who had just removed his head phones.

“Hyukkie, what do you mean?” Donghae asked.

Eunhyuk was slightly embarrassed. He wanted to share his frustrations with Donghae but he did not really want to do in a van full of other people. Sure, he is close to Heechul and Kangin too, but matters close to the heart such as this was often best shared only with Donghae.

“Nothing. Go back to your music Hae Hae.” Eunhyuk tried to change to subject.

Donghae continued to stare at Eunhyuk from a distant. Eunhyuk knew that Donghae will sooner or later grab him and force him to reveal everything. Donghae never believed in keeping secrets from people we love.

The airport was crowded. Fan girls were armed with huge cameras were just waiting for them to exit the van before the shoot away. Kangin rolled the window open slightly and waved to the ELFs outside. The screams were really loud, it was almost deafening.

“Woah, how did they get here so fast?!!” Heechul exclaimed, puzzled by the big groups of excited fan girls outside.

“Our ELFs are smart and fast hyung. You will see. Sometimes they will know our schedule before us.” Donghae chuckled.

Thankfully, manager Jung Hoon was ready and he expected this. He had the security all ready and they had to be escorted out. Even though they did not agree to the manager’s instructions of running into the gate, they had to do it anyway, because the crowd was getting louder and getting more excited.

Heechul smiled and waved. He missed this, being in a foreign country and still be recognized so warmly. He was worried that all the pushing may injure someone so he walked quickly to the gate.

The boys were all inside the gate within a few minutes, ready to board the plane. Eunhyuk let out a huge breath, relieved that they got in safely. Getting mobbed by the fans was nothing new, but lately he has been feeling slightly irritated.

“Yo monkey!!!” A yell from behind and before even turning around, Eunhyuk felt his shirt being pulled by a pair of hands. He does not need to turn around to know it was none other than Donghae doing that.

“Not now Hae, I am not in the mood to play.”Eunhyuk answered coldly.

Donghae grabbed Eunhyuk’s shoulders around to face him. He then cupped Eunhyuk’s face. “Hyukkie, tell me what is wrong. No secrets between us remember?”

Donghae was still as persistent.

Eunhyuk sighed. “Nothing Hae, I am tired.”

“No you are not tired, you have one of the best stamina among us. Something is wrong! I can see it in your eyes!”  Donghae raised his voice.

“Shh….we are in public, don’t throw a tantrum. I am tired. My body is not tired, my brain in tired ok. Stop bothering me.” Eunhyuk pushed Donghae’s hands away.

“What do you mean tired? You mean tired of our celebrity life? What did you mean by ‘caged bird’ just now in the van?” Donghae continued interrogating.

Eunhyuk sighed. “I feel like I am living in cage Hae, ok?”

“What are you saying? Are you saying that you do not want to live this celebrity life anymore?” Donghae asked again, his eyes filled with concern. Eunhyuk was, after all, someone really close to his heart.

“Maybe.” Eunhyuk answered coldly again.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone!! Welcome to all new subscribers and welcome to a brand new story!!!! This is my 4th fic!! Excited!!! If you have not read my previous fic 'Walk next to Me', do go and read it now!!! Lol. To all the subscribers and friends from my prevous fics, hi!!!!!!!! Thank you to all who upvoted for this story even before I start writing the first chapter. So touched... <3 Did you miss me? I took about a week of break because I was crazy busy with work and classes outside of work. Hope I did not lose my touch.

This story is purely fiction!!! Do not take it seriously!!! Hope to update once or twice a week, you know me, I can't keep away from here for too long. Meanwhile, talk to meeeeeeeeeee via the commentss!!!!!!!!