Chapter 1

Seeing You

Chapter 1

 

"Neh Strawberry hyung, promise me something."

"What, Hyunnie?"

"Let's stay together forever!"

"I wish...You are going to England with your new Appa and Umma tomorrow..."

"But I want to stay as hyung's best friend forever!"

"...Me too Hyunnie...I can promise to be your best friend forever if you agree to do the same."

I" will grow up well and find you again hyung! If I can't, I will travel back in time to find Strawberry hyung!"

"Eung. Now let's head back. It's late. Go to bed."

"Aigoo Grandpa hyung...nagging even when your precious dongsaeng is going away the next day..."

"Aish this kid...Come here, let hyung teach you a lesson."

"Wha- AHH HYUNGGGG~"

 

It was the summer of 1997. The two orphans sprinted around the building they had called home for the past two months. A whisper of wind carried their carefree laughter as they spent their last night together as Hyunnie and Strawberry Hyung.

 

It was the last time Woohyun had let anyone call him Hyunnie. For him, that name was forever reserved for the nameless hyung he met when he first entered the orphanage before getting adopted by the Nam family.

Hyung. I will come and find you.

 

20 Years later

New York City, USA

"CEO-nim. How would you like your coffee?"

"Oh Sungyeollie! What did I tell you! Don't be so formal here. You are my friend before you are my secretary. Here is the credit card. Please get me a mocha with whipped cream and get whatever you want ok?" Woohyun smiled as he handed over his black card to the man smiling a gummy smile standing over his table.

"Ah thank you CEO- ni" Woohyun shot him a glare, "er, Woohyun hyung!"

Woohyun chuckled. This choding has been his friend for the past 20 years, starting from the first day Woohyun's plane landed in England. The same gummy smile that had welcomed Woohyun to the new country was the same one he had when he had been accepted to take the job as Woohyun's personal secretary.

Nam Woohyun. Age 23. He was a graduate of Harvard university and took over his foster parent's company as the CEO of the New York branch of NM Corps. Juggling a master degree at MIT and a job in New York City, Nam Woohyun had quite a busy life. Yeollie's family lived next door to the Nam's, so he had been invited to the airport to meet his new Korean friend.

After the door swung close after Sungyeol's exit, Woohyun let out a sigh as he pushed himself away from the wooden desk. He walked over to the tall window that gave him a majestic view of America's business central. The night had long settled upon the city, transforming the gray buildings into colorful light displays and the city into a wondrous show of lights. The taxis flew around the busy streets and people walked purposely to their destinations. The young man took in the sight, slowing sealing this image into his mind, appreciating the fact that he is able to see such a beautiful picture.

Woohyun had been blind.

Before his foster parents took him in and gave him several surgeries, Woohyun's eyes had almost blind since his birth. His parents had far too many children and did not want another one, especially a boy who cannot even see, let alone work in the farm fields. Left behind by his parents one full moon night, Woohyun had been abandoned for 3 days before a boy from a nearby orphanage found him.

"Hey. Are you asleep? Mrs. Jung said that it's bad to sleep without a blanket. Hey! Wake up!"

Woohyun opened his eyes, seeing a blur of black that resembled a head.

"Fo-food. Do you ha-have food?"

"Here are the strawberries I have. Eat some! Strawberries are the best!" The boy offered his box forward.

"I..can't see. Sorry. Ju-just put it on my hand." Woohyun reached out blindly grabbing at the dirt around his feet.

"Aish. Now your hand are dirty! Here!" Strawberry boy shoved the biggest strawberry from his box between Woohyun's chapped lips. The rich juice and sweetness filled Woohyun's mouth. It has been 3 days since he had last touched food.

"Oh no! Mr. Shim is calling me. Where is your caretaker?"

"I-I..." Woohyun struggled to speak as tears filled his eyes upon thinking about his parents.

"I really have to go now. Here. You can have the strawberries and wait for your parents here. I will be going!" The black haired boy stood up and was about to turn away when he felt his shirt being tugged back.

"NO! NICE HYUNG! DON-DONT LEAVE ME. TA-TAKE M-ME WITH YOU! My par-parents they..." Woohyun blindly grabbed the boy's shirt, not letting go.

"Do-don't leave me hyung. Please. I..." With that, Woohyun fainted and collapsed onto the ground.

"YAH! Wake up! Hey! MR. SHIM!!! THIS PERSON HERE COLLAPSED!"

The orphanage's caretaker heard the boy's call and turned to see the boy carry another young boy behind his back.

"Mr. Shim! This person here fainted because he didn't sleep with a blanket! What do I do? I-I can't leave him like this!" The worried boy cried.

"Don't worry. We can take him back and take care of him. Now let him down."

Strangely, Woohyun's fist still held onto his savior's shirt even as he was carried by Mr. Shim back to the orphanage. The black haired boy who discovered him stayed with Woohyun and became his hyung and best friend until they were separated later.

Woohyun stood there for a few minutes, letting his mind slowly wind down from a long day of work. Stretching his hand out and placing it on the cool glass window, the young man looked at his hand and wondered.

Hyung, where are you?

 

Seoul, South Korea

Kim Myungsoo took the stack of paper freshly faced from New York and carried them in his arms. He rubbed his eyes in fatigue and slowly walked to a white door of a private office. He knocked.

"Sunggyu Hyung. I got the schedule from New York and I just need you to confirm the dates so we can go home. Open up hyung!"

Getting no response, Myungsoo turned the handle and entered into the dark room. In front of two blinking monitor screens laid a hamster-looking man, fast asleep on his own arms. His cheeks were puffy with each breath he took, demolishing the menacing image he had in front of the workers during the day.

Myungsoo chuckled. Aigoo this hyung has been working so hard. Why would you want to work until midnight every day? It's not like they pay you so much more for working so much overtime.

Slowly reaching over, the dark haired man pried off the slipping glasses from the peacefully sleeping face, careful to not wake the man up accidentally. He heard the man whisper in his dreams.

Neh hyung, promise me something.

What, Hyunnie?

Let's stay together forever!

 

Myungsoo sat down on the leather couch beside the man's desk. The soothing rays of the full moon fell upon a letter on the desk.

From: Secretary of CEO Nam of NM Corps, New York City

To: CEO Kim of NM Corps, Seoul

Here are the tickets for your flight. I will be looking forward to meeting you Kim Sunggyu-sshi.

Sincerely,

Lee Sungyeol