Chapter 25

Battle of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I don’t want him to be near her again!”

 

“Sang Min, calm your nerves down! It’s not the right time to talk about this.”

 

“And when is the right time?! When our daughter is dead? I don’t want him to be near her and that’s final!”

 

So Min’s parents were having an argument in the waiting area of So Min’s hospital room. Her mom was so angry for what happened, moreover when she knew that the culprit pointed Hyun Joong’s father to be the mastermind.

 

“We’re not sure of it yet!” Mr. Jung told his wife.

 

“I didn’t say we were sure of it. But as long as this issue isn’t resolved, I wouldn’t allow him to be close to my daughter again!”

 

“Dear, please, So Min wouldn’t like that,” the husband pleaded.

 

“I know she wouldn’t. I’ll explain everything to her. This is all for her sake.”

 

“And what about the boy? He doesn’t know anything about this.”

 

Mrs. Jung sat down a nearby chair and sighed. She knew this decision would hurt those two. But she’s worried for her only child. She wouldn’t let anything bad happen to her again.

 

“He’ll understand,” were her last words to her husband before storming out of the area to get some drinks.

 

They’ve been so saturated to their conversation that they didn’t feel the existence of another soul accidentally eavesdropping to their little argument.

 

 

****************************************************

 

Hyun Joong entered So Min’s room and sat beside her. He observed her lovely face and was urged to touch it, but he restrained himself from doing so. Moments later, So Min slowly opened her eyes and saw him.

 

“You’re awake,” Hyun Joong greeted him.

 

She smiled at him. “How long has it been?” she asked after recalling what have happened to them.

 

“Two days. It’s good that you’re okay now. I was afraid. I’m sorry.”

 

So Min held his hand. “Why are you sorry? It’s not your fault.”

 

“It is. In the first place, I shouldn’t have left you there. And I was the real target but—“

 

“Stop! If that’s what you think, then it is my fault because I was the one who switched our position. I just didn’t want you to get hurt.”

 

Hyun Joong shifted his gaze from the floor to her eyes.  “That was the most selfish decision you’ve made!” he told her.

 

So Min, still lying on her bed, was shocked from what he said. She couldn’t reply immediately as she just stared at him, eyes widened.

 

“You didn’t want me to get hurt, but what about me? You think I wanted you to get hurt? You should have been more careful before doing something impulsive like that!” He wasn’t aware of the impact of what he was saying to her.

 

“Okay, I’m sorry. I didn’t think about that as everything that happened was so fast,” she explained.

 

He then came to realize what he has been saying and felt guilty about it. He was just so worried about her.

“Sorry,” he replied softly. “I have something else to say though.”

 

She didn’t ask him about it. Instead, she just waited for him to complete whatever it was.

 

“I—“ He tried to look at her eyes, but the next words that would come out from his mouth was the most painful thing he would say. He looked down on the floor again for her not to see the mixed emotions in his eyes.

She sensed the peculiarity in his actions and it made her curiosity grow bigger.

 

“I think it’s best for us to separate ways,” he said quickly.

 

She tried to absorb the meaning of those words. “You’re breaking up with me?” she asked while trying to control her tears.

 

“All of this happened because of me.”

 

She couldn’t comprehend his statement. “What do you mean by that?” she asked again.

 

“The man said that it was my dad who told him to do it,” he replied although he knew exactly that his father didn’t have anything to do with that.

 

“Your dad? But why would he---“

 

“I told you about the arranged marriage thing,” he cut her question.

 

“You’re actually doing it?” this time, she wasn’t able to stop her tears from coming out.

 

“I don’t want you to be hurt again.”

 

She forced herself to sit up and she felt a sharp pain on her back.

 

“Are you insane? Your wound is not completely healed yet! You’re hurting yourself” he yelled while trying to assist her.

 

“The pain I’m feeling from my wound is nothing compared to the pain you’re giving me right now,” she said while tears continued falling.

 

He couldn’t look at her. He was aware that the moment he does that, he would withdraw what he had said. But doing that was the last thing on his mind. Her mom was right. He shouldn’t be near

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter