Chapter 21

Battle of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

So Min was staring at her phone for almost four hours. Her eyes were heavy and they were telling her to sleep, but she was trying to resist it.

‘Ring! Ring! Please ring! Ring now!’ she said on her mind. She was waiting for a call.

After one more hour, she still didn’t get a single call like what she’s been expecting. Due to her lack of sleep, she slammed her phone on her bedside table and lied down on her bed.

“Why the hell isn’t he calling? He never failed to call me on this date,” she murmured to herself as her eyes slowly shut and called her to sleep.

 

 

A loud ringing of her cell phone woke So Min up. She tiredly sat up on bed and rubbed her eyes.

“Damn it! It’s 10am already?!” she shrieked when her gaze fell on the wall clock. She slept for only five hours after waiting for a certain call. She got excited and giddily picked up her phone. But once again, her hopes failed her.

“Hi So Min! You just woke up, didn’t you?” Dong Han asked on the other line.

“Yeah,” she replied while yawning. “What’s up?”

“What’s up? You’re asking me? Oh, seriously, this girl! We had an agreement last week!” an amused Dong Han said.

So Min gasped. “Oops! I’m sorry, I was out of my mind lately! I’ll get prepared right now. Where will I meet you?” she asked as she got up and fixed her bed.

“You’re lucky, your parents allowed you to take a day off today, or else, you’re dead. You were just promoted as the manager and yet---”

“Oh cut it! Just tell me the time and place! I’m going to shower now. I wouldn’t be able to bring my phone there, you know!” she yelled as she gathered her clothes from the closet and headed to the bathroom.

 

 

************************************************************************************

 

 

“So Min! Over here!” Dong Han called her as soon as he saw her entered the restaurant.

She walked towards him and took the seat opposite him.

“What are we meeting for?” she asked as soon as she sat down.

“I thought we already agreed for this day. Aren’t you being lonely for almost a year now?” he replied.

So Min bowed a little and forced a smile.

“It has been almost a year…” she said but didn’t continue as a tear was threatening her to escape. She didn’t want to cry for it. Not on this important day, at least.

Dong Han sensed the sadness on her tone.

“By the way,” he said to change their subject.

She looked up to him.

“Happy 23rd birthday!” he continued.

This brought a wide smile to So Min’s lips. “Thank you,” she replied.

“Let’s order now before we start our activities,” he said and called a waiter.

“What are the things lined up for today?” she asked curiously.

Dong Han just smiled naughtily.

“You’ll see. And don’t worry, baby, I’m sure you will be happy about it,” he said with reassurance.

“I better be. I wouldn’t forgive you if I won’t,” she threatened him.

 

It was almost five years since Hyun Joong left to study in another country.

So Min graduated a year ago and began working full time to their shop. She enjoyed every minute she spends there with her parents.

For the first four years, Hyun Joong always sees to it that he gets to call So Min every once in a while. It was their only communication as both were too busy to spend time on the internet.

He also never failed to call her on her birthday when the clocks in South Korea strike at exactly twelve midnight. He did that despite the difference in their time zones, just to be the first one to greet her.

But after those four years have passed, his calls became seldom. So Min thought that it was because he got too busy for getting his degree on business, so she didn’t pay much attention to it.

However, it was slowly killing her as it was almost a year since he began not calling her. She was missing him. His looks, his voice, his warmth, his scent, everything about him.

She was determined that he would call on her birthday.

‘He never fails to call me on my birthday for the past four years. Maybe this year wouldn't be an exception,’ that’s what she thought as she waited for the midnight to come. But to her frustration, her phone didn’t ring on that night.

 

 

***********************************************************************************

 

 

“Where

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter