Chapter 18

Battle of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

What the hell?’ So Min thought while looking at the small piece of paper that she had picked up from the glass jar.

“Next!” Mrs. Kang called out.

They were picking up the names of the person who they would give their exchange gifts to on their Christmas party.

The graduating class has a single party because this would be their last Christmas together. So the names in the bowl were the names of the whole batch, not just their section.

So Min went back to her seat, still looking at the paper.

“You know, if only glares could kill, the person written on that paper will probably be dead by now,” Hyun Joong’s word brought back So Min’s mind to reality.

“I just couldn’t believe that out of all the people, I would pick…” So Min stopped and looked at him. She just realized that they were not allowed to tell anyone whose name they have picked.

“Never mind,” she said.

Hyun Joong was left there with a puzzled look. He sure wanted to know who she picked but knowing her, she wasn’t the type to break the rules.

‘I’ll just wait for the party then,’ he thought and began drawing random objects on his notes.

 

 

***************************************************************

 

 

When the day of their party came, the graduating class was filled with much excitement. There were three presentations – two groups and a solo from someone.

So Min arrived in the venue wearing a red dress that was above her knees, but long enough to cover her legs. It was a gift from her mom. Her mind was still not on a very good condition as the past days had been so tiring for her both physically and mentally. But she told herself that this night would be an exception and she would have to face someone that she’s been missing so much.

The venue was simple. It was particular for special events such as this. Inside of it were the tables and chairs for the dining area and the stage in front. There was also the long table at the back portion where all of the foods were located for dinner. While on the outside, there was a fountain with bright lights indicating that it was almost Christmas.

As So Min was strolling and enjoying the beautiful sight of tall buildings with different lights, a voice suddenly disturbed her.

“Why are you here?” Hyun Joong asked her.

She stood up from the edge of the fountain, feeling embarrassed that he saw her looking up while smiling.

“I was gazing at the bright lights of this big city,” she replied with her head down.

“Since when did you learn to dress up like that?” he asked her again.

She lifted her head, feeling annoyed by his question.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Nothing. I just love to tease you,” he replied.

So Min just pouted and gave him a glare.

“Come on. Let’s go inside. It will get cold here later. I don’t think you’d want that gorgeous thighs of your to freeze,” he again. But he meant his description.

She just nodded and followed him inside.

 

 

****************************************************************

 

 

After dinner, the presentations were next. The first group sang and danced two songs. They were all happy to see some people who weren’t really into singing and dancing, but still performed. They were all amazed.

It was followed by another dance presentation from the bad boys of the school.

So Min kept on looking around the performers as if she was looking for something or someone. The performance ended and a big round of applause soon followed. Some even stood up because of the fantastic presentations.

The principal then gave his closing remarks, followed by a short greeting from their class advisers.

“I thought there would be three performances?” So Min asked Hyun Joong who was sitting next to her.

“I thought so, too. Maybe after this,” he answered.

After the speeches, the host who was also the president of the student council announced that the last performance was a special one that’s why it wasn’t presented right after the first two. The people became curious about it.

So Min continued to look around to find a familiar face. But then, she failed.

‘What about the exchange gifts then?’ she asked on her mind.

A few moments passed by and the lights were off except for the spot light in the middle of the stage. There, they saw the person that So Min has been looking for. He was sitting in the middle with a microphone on his hands.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I know this is quite a surprise for you. It is a surprise for me either. This is our last Christmas party together so I don’t want to disappoint you. I’m now here in front of you first, to apologize because I was a very huge disgusting jerk back then. I made a lot of sins. I’ve apologized already to those people who I hurt the most, but I just want to repeat it now.”

The people listened attentively as he continued to speak.

“I don’t see anything wrong to utter the word ‘sorry’ to someone who deserves it from you, right? And to those who haven’t asked apology from the people they’ve wronged, I’m begging you t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter