The Set Up

Ephebophilia & Number of Years

 

WOW! Thank you very much for the upvotes and the subs, people :D I appreciate it very much! Thank you, thank you, thank you~ 

 


 

 

Hyomin’s

       After days being my dad’s apprentice, I knew being a CEO was not an easy thing. It’s a big responsibility. Lots of documents to sign, lots of reports to read, and lots of meetings to attend. You pointed out people’s mistake and fix it. So there’s no way a CEO could commit a mistake.

         My dad and I were eating lunch in a nearby restaurant on our lunch break.

         “So, what do you think about being a CEO?”

         “Tiring.” Just being the mere ‘apprentice’ was really tiring. I couldn’t imagine being the CEO. My dad was old, no wonder he wanted to give me the position.

         My dad just laughed at my answer. 

         We talked, well more than I asked him this whole thing about being a CEO while he answered my questions.

         “I believe you’ll be a great CEO, dear.” My dad smiled at me. I smiled back at him. The amount of trust my dad gave me made me want to work even harder.

         “Why don’t we eat out for dinner with your mom tonight?” he asked. Today was Friday and I actually had a plan to meet up with Sunny. But this was rare. Of course, my mom, dad, and I met everyday at home, but my dad was not really the typical of a father who like to bring out his family. He’s more the indoor kind of type.

         “What’s the occasion, dad?”

         “Do I need an occasion to bring my family out for dinner?”

         “Well no....”

         “So? What do you say?”

         “Sure.” I gave my dad a smile.

         We got back to the office after lunch and went back to work.

         Since I was an apprentice, I got my own desk inside my dad’s room. Yep, we’re sharing a room. I needed to be by the CEO’s side whenever it’s working hour, so it’s more convenient to have my desk here. It’s a big room anyway.   

         When we arrived at the office, I excused myself to the restroom. I needed to cancel tonight’s date with my boyfriend.

         I made sure the restroom was empty before I called him. I dialed his number and within seconds he picked up.

         “Hello.”

         “Hi beautiful~”

         “Hi.” The way he called me still made me feel giddy sometimes.

         “What’s up?”

         “Umm... about tonight. I’m afraid I need to cancel our date.”

         “Nooooo! Whyyy?” he whined. One minute he sounded like a man, the other he sounded like a little boy.

         “I’m sorry. But dad wants to go out for dinner. You know it’s not really frequent he wanted to go outside with his family.”

         He exhaled, “But I really miss you. I haven’t seen you since Monday.”

         “I miss you too. But tomorrow’s Saturday and how about I spend the day with you?”

         “All day?” I could hear a little bit excitement in his voice.

         “Yes, the whole day.” I smiled. 

         “What are we going to do?”

         “We can do anything you want to.”

         “Hmm.... there’s this scary movie I really want to watch. Watch it with me?”

         He knew I didn’t like scary movies.

         “Sunny-ah, you know I don’t like to watch scary movies.” Now I was the one who’s whining.        

         “Fine.” Oh he’s definitely pouting now.

         “We can watch action movies?”

         “Ok.” He was sulking. Great.  

         We’re both quiet after that.

         “You really want to watch that scary movie?”

         He didn’t answer me, indicating he really wants to watch it.

         “Fine, okay. We’ll watch it tomorrow.” I gave in. I always gave in to him.

         “Hooraaaay!!!!” he cheered. I shook my head and chuckled.

         “I gotta go back to work now. Call me tonight?”

         “Okay~”

         “Bye~”

         “Byeeee. I love you.”

         “I love you too.” I ended the call.

         Why did I fall in love with this kid again? 

 

       My dad and I finished work at 7pm. He already told our driver to pick my mom up and then we’re going to the restaurant together. Since my work hour was the same with my dad, I didn’t drive by myself anymore.

         It was a nice atmosphere in the car. My mom seemed to be pleasantly surprise by my dad’s sudden desire to eat together outside. It was nice, until.... we arrived at the restaurant.

         “Mr. Park! You’re finally here.” Said a man standing up when he saw us. I could see 3 people already in a table for 6. The man looked as old as my dad, there’s a lady and a young man. I could feel something fishy now.

         “Mr. Jang! Sorry we’re late. You know, work.” My dad shook his hand and I looked at my mom. She seemed bewilder also.

         “It’s okay, come on, take a seat.” 

         My dad smiled widely and gestured us to sit.

         “It’s nice finally you decided to have dinner with us.” The man my dad called ‘Mr. Jang’ smiled at him and looked at me briefly.

         “Well it’s just two family having a civil dinner. So why not?”

         They both laughed. I finally get it. The young man was the guy that my dad tried to set me up with! I shot my dad a glare but he didn’t seem to notice. I looked at my mom again, trying to see if she was also in this. She gave me an apologetic look, which told me that she didn’t know about this also. I heaved a sigh and looked to my dad who was now chatting merrily with his friend.

         The lady faked a cough that got the two aged men’s attention.

         “Oh my, I guess we haven’t made the introduction yet.” Mr. Jang smiled and started to introduce his wife and son. My dad introduced my mom and me afterwards.

         The dinner went well, I tried to behave as best I could. I knew I shouldn’t be like a spoilt princess when all I could think about was running away from that place to meet my boyfriend. I didn’t want to embarrass my parents like that. So I smiled politely and behaved like a lady throughout dinner.

         The young man my dad wanted me to meet was indeed a gentleman. His name was Wooyoung. He smiled charmingly and he would speak with so much courtesy that he dazzled my dad. Even my mom seemed amazed by him.

         As for me, I could tell Mrs. Jang was examining every little thing I said and did. But I had my own charm and by the end, I knew I passed her judgment. She smiled sweetly at me and she even stated how nice to have a daughter like me! So much for hinting it subtly.

         We were in the middle of dessert when Mr. Jang initiated something.

         “So, Wooyoung-ah, why don’t you take this lovely young woman home after this?”

         I almost choked on my food. My mom came to my rescue.

         “I don’t think-” but she got cut off by my dad.

         “That’s a splendid idea! You two can get to know each other better.” My dad looked very excited.

         “Sure, it’ll be my pleasure.” Wooyoung said charmingly. His parents looked expectant as well. While my mom couldn’t do anything else.

         What could I do in this situation? I knew everybody wanted me to say yes. My mom looked as if telling me it’s not a harm to just go with it.

         “Okay.”

 

         Here we were, me sitting on the passenger seat awkwardly and him on the driver seat comfortably.

         “So...... you know that our fathers want to set us up, right?” he said without taking his eyes off the street. He had this small smile.

         Well that’s pretty blunt.  

         “I know.” I answered shortly.

         “Then what do you think?” he asked again.

         “What do I think of what?”

         “Of me.” He answered nonchalantly. Was he looking forward to the set up? Oh my.

         “Wooyoung-ssi.... I’m so sorry, but I have a boyfriend already.”

         His face fell a little, “Oh is that so? But then why your father-”

         “I haven’t told him yet. It’s a long story, but I’m just... not ready yet to introduce my boyfriend to my dad.”

         “Oh.” He replied with a little bit disappointed tone.

         It was an awkward silence after that. I felt like jumping out of the car. But then he chuckled.

         “Should’ve known a pretty lady like you is unlikely to be single.”

         I blushed at his compliment.

         “How about you? An eligible bachelor like you doesn’t have a girlfriend?” I asked him back.  

         He chuckled again, “Nope. It’s also a long story to tell.”

         I just nodded in understanding. From the talk during dinner, I knew that his situation was almost the same as me. The different was, his father owned a lot more company, so as soon as he graduated, he took one of the company by himself right away. He must be very busy so he didn’t have time to date around. 

         “So, since there’s no chance of romantic relationship here, but is there a chance for a mere friends relationship?”

         “Sure, why not.” I smiled at him and he smiled back at me.

         The rest of the ride was pretty fun. He’s such a nice guy and comfortable to be with. Honestly, if I didn’t have Sunny, I think there would be a chance of romantic relationship with him.

         “This is my house.”

         He stopped right in front of my house then turned to me, “It’s really nice meeting you, Park Hyomin.” He extended his hand for a shake. I shook it.

         “Nice to meet you too, Jang Wooyoung.” We smiled to each other before I got out from his car.

         I entered my house and realized the light in the living room was still on. Turned out my dad was waiting up for me. I guessed he just arrived a little bit earlier than me, since he was still wearing the same clothes.

         “There’s my little girl. So? How’s the ride home?” he asked with a big enthusiasm.

         “It’s fine. I’m going to sleep now, night dad.” I was still mad at him. He tricked me into meeting a guy, when I already told him I was not interested in doing so. I my heels, but he stopped me.

         “Hey, wait a second. Come here.” He motioned me to sit on the couch, oblivious of my anger. I exhaled before I complied.

         “Do you like Wooyoung?”

         I looked at him, “Dad...”

         “He’s nice, isn’t he?”

         “He is, but-”

         “I told you he’s perfect for you!”

         “But dad, I don’t think-”

         “He would be such a nice son-in-law.” He had twinkle in his eyes now.

         “Dad-”

         “Your mom scold me about tricking you into this, but the outcome is great nevertheless! I can’t wait for-”

         “DAD!” I finally shouted a little bit since he couldn’t stop talking. 

         “What?”

         “I don’t think it will work out.”

         His face turned solemn, “Why not?”

         Ugh, gotta think fast! I didn’t know what to say, but then my dad suddenly smiled.

         “Aaaawh, is my little girl shy to admit that she likes Wooyoung?”

         Okay, that went wrong.

         “Hyomin-ah, it’s okay. I know for a fact that Wooyoung likes you too.”

         “What? No, dad-”

         “We’ll take it slow. It’s not like I would want you two to get married right away. Even though that would be great, but you need to get to know him more.”

         “Dadd-”

         “Do you get his number? I bet he’s going to ask his dad for yours. I should’ve gave him your number myse-”

         “I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!”

         I didn’t even know how and why those words came out from my stupid mouth. But that got him stop talking.     

         He looked shocked but then he smiled, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

         “I’m not ready yet, because I know you want to meet him the instance I told you about it.”

         “Of course I want to meet him! I have to make sure my little girl’s heart won’t be broken by some random stupid guy.”

         “Dad, I think I’m big enough to know what’s best for me.” Little that he knew, I was the one who broke a lot of men’s heart through my college days.

         “Sweetheart, I know you’re big enough to do anything you want. But to me, you’ll always be my little girl. And I don’t want you to end up with a douchebag.”

         “My boyfriend is not a douchebag, dad.”

         “Then prove it to me.” He said in a serious tone.

         I couldn’t say anything else.

         “Tell me then, why you’re not ready to introduce him?”

         “Because I’m afraid you won’t give us your blessings.” I said in a small voice.

         “Why is that? Is he a criminal?” he sounded suspicious now.

         “NO! He’s a normal civilian without a single record of criminality.”

         “Then?”

         “He’s.... just...” I looked down, I didn’t even have the guts to look at my dad in the eye.

         “Are you not sure he’s the one for you?”

         I looked up at him, “I’m sure he’s the one, dad.”

         “So what’s the problem?” 

         I really didn’t know how to answer him. I was certain he wouldn’t like it when I told him I was dating a guy who just graduate from high school.

         “If there’s no problem with him, then I want to meet him.”

         “But, dad-” I wanted to protest but he cut me off, again.

         “It’s late now, sweetie. I’m going to sleep now. I’ll look forward to meet this boyfriend of yours.” He smiled and patted my head before stood up and went to his bedroom.

         I guessed it’s time I introduce Sunny to my parents then.