Present

Ephebophilia & Number of Years

 

Soonkyu’s

         I woke up feeling light and confident. Last night meeting with my girlfriend was really an energy pill for me. I was positive I’m going to ace the exam and got into the university.

         I took a shower and then checked everything I needed before I went to have breakfast. Both of my moms already inside the dining room with breakfast ready on the table. Moms? Yeah, well I had 2 moms. They’re lesbians if you haven’t figured it out yet.

         “Good morning, mothers.” I greeted them. They looked at me with a smile.

         “Morning, Soonkyu-ah. Ready for today?”

         “Yeap.” I showed them a confident smile as I took my seat and started to drink my milk.

         “Just remember, no pressure okay. Relax and do your best.” 

         “Yes, mom.”

         “Are you sure you don’t want a ride there?”

         “No, thank you, umma. I can manage to go there by myself. I’m old enough to do so.”  

         Ever since I dated Hyomin, I became more independent. No, I wanted to be more independent. She was older than me by years. Heck, she was working now while I was about to enter college.

         I glanced at the wall clock and munched on the toast faster. I needed to go now if I don’t want to be late. The university was far away from my house. It took me one and a half hour from here. I needed to take the subway, a bus, and a little walk to get there. Why I decided to continue my study there? Simple. Because it was the best university in the country.

         I was a student, but I was going to be a college student in the best university in the country. At least I had something to be proud of when her parents asked questions about me. I understood why she’s not ready to introduce me to her parents yet. The was really big and she was going to be a CEO! While I was just a student. I was not ready to introduce myself to her parents yet.

         “I got to go now. I’ll see you tonight!” I said as I stood up, gave both of them a kiss on the cheek and left with them shouting good luck to me.

 

         I was reviewing everything I learn on the bus and it just a couple more minutes before I arrived. Suddenly my cell phone vibrated. I looked at it and it was a text message from my girlfriend, wishing me good luck. I smiled and text her back. After that I put my cell phone on my pocket and tried to calm my nerves. Seriously, facing an exam was nerve wrecking!

         Finally I arrived at the university and entered the big gate. I inhaled deeply, trying to calm myself. I couldn’t imagine being a student here. This was the top university in the country. My moms would be proud of me if I could study here. My girlfriend would be too. She would be, right? Honestly, she was a little bit worried when I told her I wanted to study here. Why? Because she told me I might bumped into her ex. She dated a lot of guys before she met me and (considering I am way younger than her) she did date her juniors back in her college days. Just say fate was playing with us when I didn’t only chose her university but also the same exact major she took. Well what could I do? It was the best in the country and it even got into top 10 in a world top university rank. Not the university, but the major itself. It wouldn’t be a problem. So what if I met her ex? That was her past. I’m her present~

 

       I finished the exam and waited for my friend in front of the gate. I looked to the campus again. I heaved a sigh and hoped my answers to the exams are correct.

         “Soonkyu!”

         “Hey!” I smiled to the girl who approached me from the distance.

         Her name was Hyoyeon. She’s my best friend since forever. We went to the same elementary school until high school and now we’re both interested in the same university.

         Who said a boy and a girl can’t be friends without either one having feelings? A boy and a girl can. Hyoyeon and I were living proof of that.

         “How was it? Can you do the exam?” I asked her when she’s beside me. We started to walk side by side.

         “I managed to answer all the questions, but I don’t know.” She answered me unsurely. “You?”

         “Same here.”

         We both exhaled.

         “Anyway, you’re meeting your girlfriend at 5?” she asked me.

         “Yep. Still got 2 hours. Want to eat?” I asked her back.

         “Yes! Oh God, I haven’t even realized how hungry I am now.”

         I chuckled, “College entrance exam is stressful.”

         We decided to eat at the café I would rendezvous with my girlfriend later.

         We entered the café and I looked for a vacant table when she asked me, “Oh wait, won’t your girlfriend be jealous when she saw you with me?”

         I told Hyomin about Hyoyeon and she used to be very jealous because of our closeness. They met a couple of times before and after I explained to her that we’re really just best friends, she understood.          

         I looked at her and she had this playful smirk. She was teasing me.

         “Pfft. She won’t. She knows perfectly well that I won’t fall for any other woman than her.”

         “Ugh, you’re so cheesy.” She gave me a disgusted face and I just laughed at her.

         We finally found a vacant table and sat.  

         I text my girlfriend to let her know I’m already at the café with Hyoyeon.

         Not long after I sent the text, she replied that she would be there as soon as work hour is over. I put my cell phone back to my pocket.

         “Are you going to eat or are you waiting for your girlfriend?” Hyoyeon asked while reading the menu.

         “Eat. I’m hungry too. Did we eat lunch? How come I feel really hungry right now?”

         “That exam all of our energy away.” she answered and called the waiter to order.

         After we ordered the food, I leaned on my chair, feeling relieved that the exam was finally over.

         “So, how are you and Hyomin?”

         “We’re fine. She made me chocolate yesterday.” I smiled proudly.

         “Aaawh, that’s sweet of her.”

         “She’s sweeter than the chocolate itself.”

         Hyoyeon made a gagging noise, “Ugh, save your cheesiness for your girlfriend please.”

         I laughed at her and she threw me a bundle of tissues.  

         “Oh, how’s Yuri? I heard she’s in town?”

         Hyoyeon knew Yuri. She used to babysit us back then and as we grew, Hyoyeon and Yuri became good friends.    

         “Only for the weekend. She went back to Japan today.”

         “She knows you’re taking an exam to enter her university?”

         Hyomin and 5 of her used-to-be-housemate including my cousin, Yuri, studied at the same university but in different majors.

         “Yeah. She wished me good luck on the exam. Told me it’s easy peasy. Pfft easy for her. It’s damn difficult.” I frowned.

         “Thank God it’s over now.” 

         Hyoyeon and I finished eating and I asked her to accompany me until my girlfriend arrived. She didn’t have anything to do, so she complied.

         We were laughing about silly stuff when I saw my girlfriend entered the café. I instantly stopped laughing and watched her looking around the café, trying to find me. I grinned to myself and felt my stomach twist. She looked flawless. I couldn’t stop staring at her, even when Hyoyeon turned to look my way and started to call her.

         We finally had an eye contact and I was sure I just melted under her gaze. She smiled oh-so-beautiful smile of hers and walked toward our table. I didn’t know how she still managed to knock me off my feet after almost two years being her boyfriend. I would never get use to her.

         I stood up when she reached our table.

         “Hi.” I gave her a quick kiss on her cheek.

         “Hey.” She greeted me back.

         “Hello~” Hyoyeon greeted her in a singsong voice. I almost forgot that she’s here.

         Hyomin smiled sheepishly and took a seat beside me, “Hi, Hyoyeon-ah.”

         “Well okay then, since you’re here. I finally could go home now.” Hyoyeon clapped her hands.

         “You’re leaving already? Stay for a little while more. I just got here.” Hyomin said to her.

         “And witnessed you two being all lovey-dovey? Nope. No, thank you, Unnie.”

         I just grinned at her and Hyomin giggled a little bit before she said, “Next time then?”

         Like a broken record, Hyoyeon’s answer was, “And witnessed you two being all lovey-dovey? Nope. No, thank you, Unnie.”

         Hyomin just laughed at her response while I was getting irritated, “Well then go now. Shoo shoo.” I said while doing the ‘shoo’ gesture. Hyomin slapped my arm.

         “Sunny-ah, that’s not nice.”

         Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out at me, seeing me being scolded by my girlfriend.

         “My dear best friend, Hyoyeon, will you please leave us alone now so we can be lovey-dovey to each other.” I fake a smile to Hyoyeon. 

         She stood up, “Fine, fine I’ll go. Sheeesh. Bye, twerp!” She made a face at me, but then she smiled sweetly to Hyomin, “Bye, Unnie! See you again, soon.”

         Hyomin waved at her and I just made a face back to her.

         Finally it was only the two of us.   

         “So?? How was it? How’s the exam?” she said while taking my drink and sipping it.

         “I could answer the questions, but I don’t know.” I frowned but then I felt her hand on my cheek.

         “Don’t worry, you worked really hard. Effort won’t fail you.”

         I smiled because her encouraging words and kissed her palm before holding it with my own hand.

         “How was your day?” I asked her back.

         She let out a sigh, “Tiring as usual. But I’m getting transferred again.”

         She was working as a regular staff in every department for the past months. Her dad wanted her to know everything about the company before he gave the company to her so he thought by being the staff in every department would make her know how the company rolled.

         “Oh really? There’s still another department you haven’t work in yet?”

         “I knew every nook and cranny about the company by now. So, the next step is to know everything about being a CEO. I’ll be my dad’s apprentice this time.”

         “Your dad’s apprentice?”

         “Yeap. Practically I would follow him anywhere he goes. I’d be his personal assistant slash secretary slash right hand slash pupil sla-”

         “Okay, that’s a lot to be.” I cut her off.

         She just nodded and looked at the menu.

         “Does that mean less time with me?”

         She rested her head on my shoulder.

         “You’re going to start college too. Less time of us.”  

         I held her hand tightly, hoping nothing would change between us despite our busy days to come.