Fine

Ephebophilia & Number of Years

 

Thank you very much for those who upvoted this story! all 8 of you~ meant a lot to me :D thank youuuuuuuuuu!

and also those who subscribed! who commented and who basically took some time to read this story. 

Thank you very much

 


 

 

Soonkyu’s

         “Welcome to-” I looked up from the cash register and saw that familiar face, she looked as shock as me. I cleared my throat.

         “Hi! Can I take your order?” I smiled and tried to sound nonchalant.

         “One caramel macchiato to go, please.” She said just as calmly.

         “Alright. Anything else, miss?”

         “What time you finish your shift?” she asked while taking out the money from her purse.

         I caught off guard with her question, “Um.. i-in one hour.” I answered and took the money she gave me.

         “I’ll wait for you then.” She closed her purse, “Take the change.” And she went to the pick-up spot.

         I put the money in the cash register and picked up a paper cup. I heaved a sigh and wrote ‘Taeyeon’ on it.          

 

 

       I took hesitant steps towards her who was sitting on a table in a little bit secluded part of the coffee shop. She was sipping her coffee while typing on her cell phone.

         I heaved a sigh before finally standing in front of her.

         She looked up and she had no expression. No smile, no frown, just calmly looking at me.

         “You’re done?”

         “Yes.”   

         We’ve met before, we’ve hung out a couple of times, and I thought I get along very well with her. At our first meeting, which was ‘orientation day with the housemates’, she didn’t talk a lot. She was just observing. She was the most protective one and Hyomin told me the whole idea of orientation thing was hers. But as I hung out more with them, I was most comfortable with her (excluding my cousin of course).

         “Can we talk here or should we go somewhere else?” 

         “Here is fine.” I sat in front of her.

         “You work here? I haven’t seen you before.”

         “Part-time and I just started.” Judging from her outfit and considering the time she went here, I guessed her office building was near.

         “Oh, no wonder.”  She sipped her coffee again but her eyes never left mine. Those calm yet intimidating look.

         “So how you’ve been, Soonkyu-ah?”

         “I’m... still living.” I answered her unsurely. Well I couldn’t really lie now, could I? Not with that kind of look she gave me.

         “You look exhausted.”

         I didn’t know what to say to that, so I kept quiet.  

         It felt like the first time I met her again. She was observing me.

         “Let’s cut to the chase now, shall we?” 

         I nodded and I was sure the next thing she would say is ‘Why?’.

         “Why did you break up with her?”

         I exhaled, “Didn’t she tell you?”

         “She did. But I don’t believe it.”

         “Wh-what?”

         “You’re not the kind of person who takes relationship as a joke matter and I’m sure Yuri warned you about the from the start. So I think this whole ‘never wanting to marry her’ is nonsense. Maybe you don’t want to get married now, but not never.”

         I started to fidget.

         “Tell me the real reason.”

         “I.... I don’t deserve her.” I mumbled.

         “You don’t deserve her? So who do you think does?”  

         “A successful man who’s ready to have marriage and family. Not just some mere college student clearly.” I looked away from her gaze.

         She scoffed and that got me to look at her again. She was folding her arms now.

         “She doesn’t care about status or wealth. Not even once she complained about yours.”

         She stood up before I could say anything back.

         “If you’re not my friend’s cousin and if Hyomin doesn’t love you that much, I would’ve punch your face right now.”

         She picked up her bag, “Stop being stupid, Lee Soonkyu.”

         She left and I was speechless.

         If Hyomin doesn’t love me that much? She still loves me?

 

 

Hyomin’s

         “Hyomin! Over here.”

         I saw Sooyoung waving her hand enthusiastically. I smiled and went to the table where Sooyoung and Taeyeon sat.

         “Hi girls!” I greeted them cheerfully and sat down on the empty chair.

         “Hei, Hyominnie. We already order your food.”

         “Thanks.” I beamed a smile. 

         “You look happy today.” Taeyeon commented.

         “Yes! The project is almost done.” I said and clapped my hands.

         “That means you’re going to be the CEO, right?” Sooyoung asked.

         “Well, that’s up to my dad. If he thinks I’m ready, then I will.”

         “We think you’re more than ready.” Sooyoung said and Taeyeon nodded her head approvingly.

         I smiled, “Thanks. But the problem is, I don’t know if I’m ready.”

         “Why? Isn’t it the main goal of succeeding the project?”

         “True. But being the CEO is..... scary. I’m the vice now, but yet I feel tired and busy already. I don’t think I could have relaxing weekend anymore. Seeing how my dad would always doing business even at the house on Saturday and Sunday!”

         “Of course, the higher position means the busier you will get.” Taeyeon said.

         “Will it be okay for your dad if you tell him that you’re not ready yet?” Sooyoung asked.

         “I guess he would understand.”

         “Well even if you become the CEO in the near future, I’m sure you’ll manage the time just fine, Hyomin-ah. Unlike someone.....” Taeyeon scoffed.

         “Tiffany has work today?”

         “Yep. That’s why she can’t come. She said sorry though.” She frowned.      

         “Oh come on, Tae. You know she’s hard working and responsible like that. You should be proud of her!” Sooyoung said.

         “Too hard working and too responsible for my liking.” Taeyeon sulked.

         “Ugh, I had enough of her sulking on the weekdays. Let’s just ignore this silly dwarf, shall we?”

         I chuckled and Taeyeon threw a ball of tissue at Sooyoung.

         “So... stepping up to be the CEO means less time with us, huh?”

         “Yeah..” I let out a sigh.

         “That’s too bad. We just got you back.” Sooyoung said.

         I laughed, “What’s that suppose to mean?”

         “Well you always spent your weekend with Soonkyu before.”

         “Oh.”

         Just hearing that one name could wipe my smile instantly.

         Taeyeon glared at Sooyoung.

         “Uh, sorry, Hyomin-ah. I didn’t mean to bring him up.”

         “It’s okay. I’m fine. It’s fine.”

         They looked at me with concerned eyes.

         “Really, guys. I’m fine.” I tried to smile.

         The table grew quiet.

         “Yuri called me and asked if I need her to come home to scold her cousin.” I tried to break the silent. 

         “Do tell her to come home! I miss her.” Sooyoung said.

         I chuckled, “Yeah, I told her that. She said she’ll come home with Jessica when she graduate, which is in a couple of months.”

         “She’s graduating already?” Taeyeon raised her eyebrows, surprised.  

         “Yes. So fast, isn’t it? She called me too after I......” I gulped, “broke up. Unfortunately she’s been super busy with her thesis so we don’t talk long enough.”

         “I haven’t heard from her in some time too.” Sooyoung said.

         The food came and we ate in silence.

         “Ummm.... I actually met him, Hyomin-ah.” Taeyeon said carefully.

         “Met who?”

         “Soonkyu.”

         I stopped eating for a second before resuming and keeping my cool.

         “Oh? How is he?”

         I dreaded the answer.

         “Miserable.”

         Somehow knowing he’s at the same state as me put my heart at ease. The words ‘I’m fine’ had lost its meaning. No matter how many times I said it, my heart was still not mended.

         “And how are you?” Sooyoung asked.

         “I told you a million times, I’m fine.” Really, those words had lost its meaning big time.

         “I know, I know. But what I mean is, have you moved on? Met someone new?” Sooyoung asked again.

         “Nope. Busy with work, remember?” I answered her and continued to eat.

         “Tiffany told me about this handsome business partner of yours.” Taeyeon’s eyes lit up.

         “Ooooh, really? Tell!”

         “There’s nothing to tell. He became my friend. And nothing more.”

         “Why not?” Taeyeon asked.

         I ignored her question and kept eating while keeping my eyes on the food.

         They got the message from my silence and talked about something else.

         Maybe I didn’t want to move on.

          I was pretty sure I didn’t want someone else.