Stupidity

Ephebophilia & Number of Years

 

 

Hyomin’s

         I was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling for the longest time. I always loved the weekend and I couldn’t be gladder that today is Saturday.

         I didn’t go straight home last night. I drove around the city without destination in mind. When I got home, it was barely midnight. Surely my parents went to sleep already. As soon my body hit the bed, my tears started to pour out senselessly. I cried and cried until I fell asleep.

         I didn’t know how long I was asleep or what time is it now. I felt my eyes are heavy, my muscles are tired, and my stomach growled loudly. I skipped dinner last night.

         I wanted to get up, go to the kitchen and pretended like nothing happened. But my body refused. It seemed not wanting to get up from bed at all. The worse thing was, tears started to brim again. Wasn’t last night enough? Why should I cry over and over again because of him?

         I wiped the tears that once again dampened my cheeks. Stop it. Please, just stop crying!

         I inhaled deeply and exhaled loudly. It calmed me down and eventually the tears stopped.

         I was still lying on my bed motionless when a knock could be heard. My mom’s voice came after.

         “Sweetie?”

         I cleared my throat and sat up before I answered my mom, “Yes, mom?”       

         She entered my room, “It’s 10 already. Did you just wake-” she finally got a better look of my face. “Oh dear, what happened?” She sat right beside me.

         “N-Nothing, mom. I just woke up.” I tried so hard to not cry in front of my mom. I didn’t want her to worry.

         “Don’t lie to me, Hyomin-ah. Your eyes are red and swollen!” She touched my eyes and then my hair gently.

         “I’m fine, mom.”

         “Are you sure?” she sounded concern.

         “Yes.” I wanted to tell her what happen but I knew once I did, my tears won’t stop and then my dad would find out and God knows what he would do to him.

         I forced a smile and looked at my mom, “I... I’m meeting up with my friends today. So.. I.. will take a shower now, mom.” I got up from the bed and rushed to the bathroom.

         I took a long shower and by the time I got out from the bathroom, there’s pancake and tea on the table. My mom was tidying my bed.  

         “Aren’t you hungry? Eat breakfast first before you go, dear.” My mom smiled warmly at me.

         “Thank you, mom.”

         I felt better already. What would I do without my mom?

         I would lie on my bed all day and starved.

         I ate my breakfast and my mom accompanied me. We talked about general things and my mom didn’t probe about my still-puffy eyes. That’s what I love about my mom. She didn’t push me to do something I don’t want to do.

         After I finished my breakfast, I gave my mom a kiss on her cheek as a sign of gratitude and went to my car. Once inside, I sent a text to my friend.

Are you home? Can I come to your place?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

         As soon the door was opened, I hugged the person as tightly as I could.

         “Oof! So much for a proper greeting.”

         I didn’t say anything and the tears I’ve managed to hold got loose the moment I hid my face on her shoulder.

         “Hey, are you crying? What’s wrong?” she hugged me back and patted my back.

         I heard faint footsteps and a voice, “Tae, who is it?”

         Tiffany’s voice, that was. Taeyeon didn’t answer her and I guess she didn’t have to because the next thing I know, Tiffany rubbed my arms that were around Taeyeon’s torso.

         “Oh my gosh, Hyomin-ah, what happened?”  

         They made me to sit on the couch and I calmed down after a while. Taeyeon went to the kitchen to get me a glass of water and Tiffany sat beside me while rubbing my back to soothe me.

         “Sorry, this is embarrassing.” I said as I wiped the remaining tears on my wet cheeks.

         Taeyeon came back to the living room and handed me the glass.

         “It’s fine, Hyomin-ah. It’s not embarrassing though, more like shocking.” Taeyeon said and sat on the other side of me.

         “Ready to talk about it?” Tiffany asked me.

         I inhaled deeply before answering them, “It’s over. Sun-... Soonkyu and I are done.” I guessed I have to stop calling him ‘Sunny’ from now on, shouldn’t I?

         “What?! Why?”

         I felt my heart broke again and again as I remembered his words last night. But I tried to compose myself and told them what happened.  

         “Oh, Hyomin-ah. I’m so sorry to hear that.” Tiffany said and gave me a quick hug.

         I leaned back on the couch and exhaled. 

         “Honestly speaking, it was kind of expected. I mean, he’s at that age. You, of all people, know exactly what you don’t want when you’re at his age, right?”

         I saw Tiffany gave Taeyeon a glare, somehow telling her that it’s not right to say that to me at the moment like this.

         “What? We all knew that their would be a problem sooner or later.” Taeyeon said in defense to Tiffany.

         Tiffany frowned, “I just hope it wouldn’t.” 

         “Well it did. And, still honestly speaking, he’s a dumb- for letting you go.”

         “Why is that?”

         She rolled her eyes, “Duh! Because you’re a wonderful person. You’re hard-working, kind, pretty, and all that.”

         “I am all that, huh?” I smiled a little bit.  

         “Seriously? It takes just a mere compliment to cheer you up? God, such a narcissistic human being.” Taeyeon pretended to sigh.

         “Hey! It’s the first time you said good things about me.”

         “Never should’ve said it.” Taeyeon shook her head.

         I slapped her thigh and we continued our silly banters while Tiffany just watched us with a smile on her face.

         It was nice. I was thankful I still have my friends in a time like this.    

          

 

Soonkyu’s

         “ARE YOU STUPID?!”

         “Shh! Keep it down, will you?” I mouthed ‘sorry’ to other customers in the restaurant who were looking at us because her loud voice.

         I just told Hyoyeon what happened last night with Hyomin.

         “You broke up with her? Seriously, Soonkyu-ah?” she said in a quieter voice.

         I let out a sigh, “It hurts me too, okay.”

         “Then why did you do it?”

         “She wants marriage, Hyoyeon-ah. I can’t give her that.”

         She looked at me incredulously, “Why can’t you?!”

         I raised my eyebrows, “I don’t want to get married now!”

         “I never heard she wants to get married now.”

         I let out a sigh, “Now, later, or whenever. Why can’t we just enjoy the moment and be happy about it?”

         “Well some people like to have plans and know how their future will be.” She answered me.

         I exhaled again, “I just....... I don’t think I would ever be ready to marry her.”

         She still looked at me with that incredulous expression, “Why?”

         I raked my hair and looked down at the table before I answered her, “I’m not good enough for her.”

         “What??? What makes you think like that?” 

         “She’s a future CEO! And look at me, I’m just a silly freshman. Everybody makes me think of that!”

         “So? They shouldn’t matter. You shouldn’t listen to those stupid people say about your relationship!”

         “Even her dad?! He told me right to my face, that I’m no good for her daughter. How am I suppose to think, huh?!”

         “You’re not in a relationship with his dad. The only opinion matter is hers, Soonkyu-ah.” 

         Silence. I didn’t know what to say and Hyoyeon just stared back at me.   

          “You know what, can we just drop it? She’s not the only one with broken hearts here.”

         “Fine. But she’s not the one who broke yours. You broke your own heart, stupid-!” and he smacked my arm.

         “Ouch! Why did you do that for?” I rubbed my arm and glared at her.

         “Because you’re being stupid.”  

         I pouted and sulked.

         “God, you’re such a kid. I don’t know how Hyomin stand being with you for years.” She exhaled, “Let’s just order then.”

         We talked about other stuff through lunch but my mind kept wander to Hyomin and I couldn’t help to feel sad.

         I broke her heart and I broke mine. I was stupid. No doubt about it. But if being stupid meant she would get what she want and be happy about, then be it.