Fifty-fifty

Lastly

“I said I don’t want to!”

Tiffany stomped her foot onto the floor when she snapped to the person on the other line. She then scoffed, her free hand on her hip as she exaggerated a heavy breath. Meanwhile the person she was talking to on the phone could only sigh at the stubbornness. Tiffany is stubborn. And that’s one of the most annoying things about her.

“Why don’t you?”

“Because I--” Tiffany groaned, “I’ve explained for thousand times already!”

“And yet I still don’t get your nonsense reason, Fany.”

The angry girl cursed under her breath.

You’re lucky you’re not here with me, Lee Soonkyu, or else I’ll punch your face.

“Come on.” Sunny persuaded again, “I just asked for a short visit. I always visit you at least once a year and you never did the same, not even once.”

“It’s different.”

“What’s the difference?”

“I have a special condition.”

“And what’s the condition?”

“Stop it, Lee Soonkyu!”

With another groan Tiffany avoided the question. She could hear a giggle and she swore to God she would literally punch her best pal on the face later on when they meet. Tiffany had this argument almost all the time, and she could win, except to this person. Sunny has the special ability in persuading people including Tiffany. In fact, especially Tiffany.

“Just… stop this arguing session, I’m tired, and FYI in case you’ve forgotten, our time zone is different. It’s my time to sleep.”

“Fany, it’s been years.”

“Don’t start again--”

“Things aren’t the way its’ used to, Fany.”

“I said don’t start again!”

“Listen to me.”

The atmosphere around her suddenly felt different. Tiffany stiffened under Sunny’s cold tone. She slowly sat down onto the couch, feeling nervous all over. If she were to rate her weaknesses in this world, Sunny definitely would make it to the top five. The number one spot would always be bugs, though.

“I don’t intend anything when I asked you to come. If you came, it’d be my best birthday present, ever.”

“I know, but--”

“You won’t meet her, anyway.”

“No.” Tiffany gripped her phone tight, “Don’t talk about her.”

A chuckle, “We always talk about her in this argument, Fany. It’s all about her. Do you even realize?”

There was a pause before Tiffany sighed.

“That’s what you’re afraid of, right? She makes you afraid the most, am I right?”

Letting out another sigh, Tiffany decided to just end it, “Whatever you’re going to say, I’m not going. I don’t care if it’s your best birthday ever, I just don’t want to come! So there’s no use for you to--”

“You just said that you don’t care about my birthday?”

“I didn’t--”

“You did.”

“I didn’t, I just--”

“You did, Fany.”

“For God’s sake, stop it!” Tiffany raised her voice, almost shouted, “This won’t work! Anything won’t work!”

Sunny went silent. Tiffany should’ve hung up but she didn’t.

“Fany, you know…” Sunny started again, “this is when similarities kill us. You’re stubborn and I am too. So, I’ll let you think about it.”

Tiffany was about to argue but Sunny was faster,

“This won’t hurt, Fany. I’m begging you.” Sunny’s tone lowed, “Be my best birthday present, pretty please?”

As much as Tiffany wanted to say, ‘I’m not going to think about it’, she just couldn’t, because it was Sunny she talked to.

“Fine. I’ll think about it.”

Sunny shrieked, “Yay! Let me know if you’ve decided! My birthday is coming, you know.”

“I know.” Tiffany rolled her eyes, “Now, would you please let me sleep?”

“Sure, you can sleep with your train of thoughts now. Bye!”

“Bye.”

After she hung up she threw her phone onto the nightstand with another sigh. Leaning herself onto the couch, she drowned into her train of thoughts. What Sunny said was right. Sunny was never wrong since the first place. Everything she says jab Tiffany right onto her chest, crushing her pride, weakening her dignity.

Tiffany could never win when it comes to Sunny.

Her reason was indeed nonsense, Tiffany acknowledged it. Just because of one person she avoids a whole country. Korea is her homeland too. She spent almost her whole life there. It’s just not fair that only her bad memory remained in her head. To think about it, Tiffany was being childish.

But it’s always her. It’s always been her.

It’s just amazing how one particular person who had hurt her in the past could still control Tiffany’s whole being until now. It’s been years but Tiffany couldn’t let the memory slip away from her head. Actually she could, but she wouldn’t.

Tiffany bit her lip. Is she going to let Sunny win this time?

Letting a heavy breath Tiffany stood up, grabbing her phone, and pressed the speed dial.

“Hello, Miss Hwang?”

“Yes, it’s me. Book me a ticket to Korea, please.”

-

Tiffany felt like cringing.

It was her first time in forever stepping her feet in the country she had avoided for years. She stood there in silence, in the middle of the crowd walking back and forth, eyeing every corner of the international airport with her fully-aware eyes. She looked like a lost child. With her lips pressed against each other, she started walking anxiously.

Her eyes still couldn’t find Sunny who had promised to pick her up. Well, she couldn’t focus on one particular object now since she was still feeling paranoid. Her hands were shaking, she even trembled. She needed to find Sunny as soon as possible before people around her started giving those glares she doesn’t like.

Dear God if Sunny didn’t show up in the next ten minutes she’d definitely go back to the States immediately.

Just then she almost jumped when someone tapped her shoulder from behind,

“Fany!”

Tiffany turned around and heavily sighed, “You!”

With that she crushed Sunny and that made the latter laughed.

“Hey, long time no see.” Sunny said, patting Tiffany’s back.

A grunt before Tiffany pulled back, “It was only three months ago, you know.”

“Now is different. You’re here!” Sunny extended her hand, “Welcome home, Hwang Miyoung!”

“Shut up.” Tiffany scoffed, “And don’t remind me of that name, please.”

Sunny chuckled and offered an arm, “So, shall we go?”

Grabbing Sunny’s right arm, they both started to walk. Tiffany was a bit calmer with Sunny by her side. She tried to put herself in her new yet old environment. Everything actually didn’t feel new. She used to live here. There’s nothing to be scared of.

Soon they reached Sunny’s car and they drove to Seoul. Tiffany had her eyes on the window, eyeing the roads, seeing cars passing by and some pedestrians. Sunny peeked at Tiffany who usually talks a lot and loud, realizing Tiffany had been quiet.

“Hey.” Tiffany suddenly started.

“Hmm?”

“I’m sorry I missed your birthday party. It’s already nineteenth.”

Sunny smiled, “It’s okay. You’re still my best birthday present ever.”

“That’s good to know.” Tiffany sighed as she leaned her back and crossed her arms, “At least my jet lag is worth it.”

“Go to sleep, then. You must be tired. I’ll wake you when we arrive later.”

Tiffany nodded and closed her eyes. She could hear her heart beating faster than she thought. Soon she will reach Seoul. She should prepare the overflowing feelings of memories hitting her. Like what people say, it’s not a city, it’s the memories. Too bad Tiffany is too stupid not to remember the good ones.

-

“Why are we here?”

Tiffany rubbed her eyes as she stretched a little. Sunny only smiled before she perfectly parked her car and turned it off.

“I thought I booked a room in that hotel we’ve just pass through?”

“You did.” Sunny pulled the key out, “But to think about it, living without costing a penny is better, right?”

“What do you mean?”

“You will live here, Fany.”

Before Tiffany could ask more, Sunny already got out of the car, leaving the dumbfounded woman alone. Tiffany then looked at the building in front of her and felt painfully remember what the building was. Gripping her purse tight, she followed Sunny out of the car and felt her knees growing weaker at the thought of entering the place.

“You remember this, right?”

Yes, the apartment she used to live back in her college days.

“I do.”

Tiffany let out her breath she had been holding. Her room’s number is 459, she remembers it clearly. She bought the apartment for a lifetime, that’s why it belongs to her until now. Silly her, she shouldn’t have done that.

“Your suitcases are already inside, by the way. I talked to Brian earlier before you came.”

Tiffany clicked her tongue, “You really need to stop talking to my man. He’s starting to betray me now…”

“Not my fault.” Sunny shrugged, “You should keep an eye on him because he clearly obeys me more than you.”

“Geez…”

“Now, let’s get in!”

Sunny forcefully pulled Tiffany and they got inside. Tiffany bit her lip when she saw some familiar faces. Some of them even greeted her and she half-heartedly greeted them back. Well, she couldn’t deny that she remembers everything.

The elevator dinged and Tiffany jerked her head immediately, but luckily no one was seen. Sunny hummed a random song as she pulled Tiffany to her room, meanwhile the latter only followed behind like a helpless puppy. When they reached the room number 459, Sunny grabbed Tiffany’s right thumb to open the door with the fingerprint.

The door opened. Tiffany clenched her fists.

“Welcome home!”

It was still the same. Tiffany slowly entered the room and roamed every inch of it. It was basically the same, only it looked a little emptier since there weren’t enough belongings. Sunny then playfully dropped herself onto the bed and Tiffany smiled seeing that.

“I know you’ve missed this.”

Tiffany’s smile slowly faded and she hurriedly turned around, her back facing Sunny, “I need to change.”

“Oh, sure.” Sunny stood up, “Remember our dinner date. You know the place, right?”

Tiffany nodded.

“Great. I guess I’ll see you later. Bye, Fany.”

Sunny gave her a peck on the cheek before she walked out of the room while humming another song. After Sunny left Tiffany sighed and sat on the bed. She meant it when she felt the room a lot emptier than before. She realized it’s not just the belongings.

Does she miss this?

Well, she couldn’t deny her heart anyway.

-

Tiffany sighed in relieve as she saw Sunny waving her hand from afar. She smiled and walked to their table, oh not just theirs, but there was someone else that Tiffany didn’t know. She felt half annoyed, because Sunny didn’t tell her she’d bring someone else. But she also felt half glad because Sunny didn’t bring another old friend that could bring Tiffany drown to death in the memories.

Sunny was being meanie and Tiffany acknowledged it. This café is their usual café back then. She knows Sunny planned it well. Who knows tomorrow she would bring the people Tiffany used to know?

God, this devil trapped inside her best pal’s body.

“Hi.” Tiffany said awkwardly as she took a seat across Sunny and the unknown woman.

“Had a nice sleep?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh, meet my girlfriend!” Sunny pointed at the woman, “She’s Sooyoung.”

Tiffany almost gasped but the woman named Sooyoung was faster in extending her hand, “I’m Choi Sooyoung, it’s nice to meet you.”

“Hi!” Tiffany quickly shook the hand, excited knowing Sunny has a girlfriend, “I’m Tiffany Hwang.”

Sooyoung’s smile slowly faded hearing the name as she tilted her head, “Tiffany Hwang?”

“Yes.”

“I think I’ve heard that name before…” Sooyoung mumbled before she shrugged, “maybe somewhere else.”

“Ah, I see.”

Tiffany didn’t know that the dinner date could be somewhat fun. She learned that they started going out since last year, and Sooyoung is also a year younger than them both. But she doesn’t use honorifics, which surprised Tiffany because Sunny usually doesn’t like disrespectful younger people. Sooyoung is a funny person, though. She keeps making fun of Sunny and Tiffany found it cute.

It’s just when Sooyoung did some gestures to Sunny, Tiffany started losing her smile. She stared at them blankly before professionally putting her smile back on as their attention averted back to her.

Again, Tiffany’s feeling was fifty-fifty. Could she just go back to the States right now?

****

Hiiiiiii it's me again.

Oh in case you're wondering, Brian's nobody but a butler.