A Partner

Lastly

“Hi, Jessica. It’s me. Umm… I’m sorry about last time. I didn’t know that-- no, I mean I know we were supposed to meet but suddenly I had to-- I mean I… I-- ah!”

Once again Tiffany dropped her head onto her desk with a frustrated groan. She was holding her phone tightly in her right hand, meanwhile the left one was ruffling her own hair. She couldn’t believe it. She wasn’t brave enough in talking to Jessica, even only by phone. She knew Jessica was angry, of course she was. Tiffany preferred talking directly to Jessica, by physically there, but what to do? She couldn’t.

Sunny was hesitating when Tiffany called her. Sooyoung sounded upset and only responded with yeah or no and stuff, even though there were some hints of understanding in it. And both of them answered the same answer when Tiffany asked about Jessica.

Go talk to her by yourself.

They only said Jessica changed her phone and number. Tiffany asked why and as expected, it was the same answer she got. They even gave her the number so she could call Jessica. But when Tiffany was about to do it, the picture of the angry Jessica suddenly popped into her head. That scary face Tiffany was afraid of.

Just, how many people were angry because of her sudden leave? How to face them and explain that it was her father’s fault?

Sighing, Tiffany leaned her back and closed her eyes. She was back in her office, working. She didn’t leave any unfinished papers, though. Like she said, she didn’t abandon her job. Everything was basically settled. She put things in priorities and it helped, a lot. She knew the only reason of her father’s sudden order back then was because he had missed her.

She chuckled. He has a way too big ego to admit.

Slowly, she grabbed her phone again and looked at Jessica’s new number. She wanted to talk to her, she really did. But after feeling the uncomfortable atmosphere when she talked to Sunny and Sooyoung, she turned afraid. How angry could Jessica be? How if she didn’t want to talk to her?

Tiffany gasped. How if Jessica’s reason to change her number was because of her?

Oh God, that’s terrible.

She quickly brushed the thoughts off. She was being too paranoid. And she needed to stop accusing Jessica because that means she was still being presumptuous. She could still remember clearly where the presumptuous side of her had brought both of them. It started in a simple way, but she couldn’t let it slide.

Not again.

She took a deep breath. Okay, she couldn’t be a coward. It was also a mistake. She had to call and say sorry. That’s the best way.

Without thinking any longer, without preparing any text in her mind, she pressed the call button and waited.

-

“The fractured bone is right here. It’s not too severe, I’m sure you can heal it in a short time. Even in a week from now, you don’t have to use crutches anymore. You just have to practice and you can walk again, even though not fully in a normal way yet. It needs some time. And the bandage needs to be regularly changed too.”

Jessica nodded her head as Dr. Yoo explained about her condition. She didn’t understand anything about bones, fractures, and all but she could see the image of her broken bone by the X-Ray. It didn’t look good, not at all. Dr. Yoo said it wasn’t too severe, so she couldn’t imagine the severe one. It must be hurt.

After a long explanation session by Dr. Yoo, she could leave. She used one crutch only, and she didn’t like it. She felt so helpless, like an old woman. She needed to practice walking. Let’s just stop using crutches.

When she reached her room, she exhaled a tired breath. She sat down on the bed and brought both her feet up with a cringe. It still hurt. Feeling lonely, she decided to just watch TV. Her left hand grabbed the remote and when she was about to turn it on, she heard a buzzing voice. She frowned.

Turned out it came from her new phone. The voice wasn’t quite familiar in her ears. It was a gift from Sooyoung, she didn’t know why her summer would be that kind. She backed away a little and grasped it.

She saw the caller’s name.

And she became tense in an instant.

She contemplated. A part of her told her to just ignore it. She should keep her pride high. She couldn’t just give up that easily. And yet another part of her persuaded her to answer it. People make mistakes sometimes. Beside it’s best for her not to assume things by herself. It’s selfish. And silly.

So she pressed the answer button and brought it onto her ear, but didn’t say anything.

“Hello?”

She kept silent.

“Jessica? Are you there? It’s me, Tiffany. I’m sorry it took so long for me to call.”

Jessica nodded, stupid enough of a reaction.

“Alright, I guess you don’t want to talk. But listen to me, please?”

Still, she kept mum. But she didn’t do anything to end the call.

“I’m sorry. I really am sorry. I shouldn’t have done that. I should’ve told you first. I’m sorry, Jessica. I’m sorry…”

Tiffany did sound guilty. And it did in making a part of Jessica forgave her.

“I know you’re angry, I’m sorry. I don’t know any other way to say sorry. I didn’t mean anything by leaving. You know that.”

No I don’t, Jessica shrugged.

“Jessica, I…” Tiffany sighed, “it’s my father.”

Jessica blinked.

“You know him. He hasn’t changed. He’s still the same. He told me to go home. I couldn’t say no. And now when I’m home, he’s nowhere to be seen. Where’s the logic in that? Is that even fair? He didn’t even say he miss me or something… he just… turned his back on me and told me to go back to work, even though I don’t work for him.”

The sad tone melted Jessica’s heart. She leaned her back and listened, to every single word Tiffany, probably, unconsciously said. Jessica silently sighed. Suddenly she was the one who was feeling guilty.

“I didn’t want to go home but--”

“He still has you in his hands.”

When Jessica finally talked, there was a silence. Jessica exhaled a breath and smiled, even though Tiffany couldn’t see it. She knew Tiffany was surprised. She could tell the latter was speechless. Because back then, when Jessica was angry, Tiffany needed more than one try to make her talk.

“I… I-I...”

“It’s okay.” Jessica whispered, in a calming tone, “It’s okay, it’s not your fault. I understand.”

“You don’t sound like you do, though…” Tiffany mumbled.

A light chuckle, “But I really do.”

There was another silence before, “Thank you, Jessica. I thought you wouldn’t forgive me that easily…”

“Well, you’re not totally forgiven yet, you know…”

She then heard Tiffany’s husky laughter, “I know. I’ll make it up to you later. I promise.”

Jessica only smiled.

“But err… Jessica, are you okay?”

“Huh?” Jessica frowned. Did someone tell Tiffany what happened to her?

“I mean, you suddenly changed your phone and number…”

“Oh.” Jessica’s frown disappeared, “My old phone , so I just bought a new one. I actually had planned it since long time ago. And the number was a bonus, so why not? I wanted to filter some people in my contacts.”

“Ah, I see. You should’ve told me, though. I was kind of confused.”

Again, Jessica only smiled.

“So… you’re okay, right?”

“I am. Don’t worry.”

A comfortable silence then fell in between them. She could hear Tiffany’s fingertips tapping the desk. She could also feel her contemplating whether to continue or end the call. Jessica never hung up first when it comes to Tiffany, never. Tiffany knew that. So Jessica waited. Tiffany probably wanted to say something else.

“Are you still there?”

“Yeah.”

“I miss you.”

Jessica’s eyes widened. Suddenly her pride that she had been raising up high, fell down instantly. She couldn’t help but bit her lip to prevent grinning too wide. What was that again? What did she say?

She then chuckled, “I knew it.”

“Psh… I was trying to be honest and then cocky Jung strikes--”

“I miss you too.” Jessica said, “If I don’t, I won’t be angry.”

Tiffany giggled, “Right.”

When Jessica was about to say something else, a nurse suddenly came inside her room and it surprised her.

“Miss Jung, it’s time for--”

The nurse stopped talking when Jessica raised her index finger onto her lips with a panic expression.

“Jessica? Who was it?”

“Uh… no one. Just my colleague.” She lied, “Is there anything else you want to say?”

“Hmm… I guess you’re busy. Talk to you another time, then. Promise me to pick up whenever I call?”

“Sure, sure.”

“Okay. Err… bye?”

A nod, “Bye. Take care.”

With that, Tiffany ended the call and Jessica put the phone down with a smile. She almost forgot about the nurse presence before the old woman reminded her that it was lunch time. Jessica’s smile faded instantly.

-

“, this !”

Jessica laughed seeing the annoyed Yuri. The tan woman came in the dinner time. Using her, the sick woman forcefully plunged a spoonful of food into Yuri’s mouth and now the latter was having those weird faces as she munched. But Yuri was a kind friend. Even though she kept cursing, she still willingly helped Jessica finishing her dinner.

“Seriously, you need to get out of here like right now. This is ing trash! Go order some pizzas or something instead!”

“Can’t.”

After some tough minutes, they finished it. Or more like, Yuri finished the food. Yuri was actually hungry, lucky Jessica that time. She was used to the foods, but that didn’t mean she like it. She didn’t, and would never do.

“So, you’ve talked to her? What did she say?”

“She said sorry. But turned out it was her father’s fault.”

“What?”

Jessica kept silent for a moment. Her mind was regaining some past memories she could gather. Tiffany’s father. She could remember some things about him clearly.

“Her father is a jerk.” She started, “After her mother died years ago, he became a total . He only gave his children money and money, no love, at all. Tiffany is the youngest child. She was kind of rebellious against her father. She didn’t do what her father wanted her to, she had her own way. And in the end, he threw her away to Korea.”

Yuri nodded her head.

“With a butler named… well, I forgot his name.”

“Wait, butler?”

“Yeah. Their family is damn rich. I’ve met her father several times back then. He didn’t give me a good impression, at all. But I could understand his mind set. For him, a father is the ruler. His children can do anything they want, but when he tells them to do something, they have to obey. He has his children in his hands. He rules them, he controls them, and they can’t fight back simply because he’s the father. And in this case, he told Tiffany to go home.”

“Wow. What an indeed. So he’s going to rule his children like, forever? No time limits or stuff?”

“There is, though.” Jessica crossed her arms, “When they find a partner that’s when he’ll stop, I suppose.”

Yuri smirked, “That’s your job then.”

“What?”

“You said when they find a partner their father will stop. And now you see, he still controls Tiffany as if her daughter was a five-year-old cry baby. That’s pathetic. She’s a freaking adult, for ’s sake. You should stop that.”

“Me?”

“Yeah.” Yuri nodded, “Be her partner, . Make her father stop.”

“But technically we’re not--”

“Screw that. What did I say about telling someone how much you love them? Come on, are you going to be a coward again? Go find a way!”

Jessica uncrossed her arms and sighed. Yuri was right. She pressed her lips to one another, and could taste the so not good dinner again. Some ideas suddenly popped into her head, and none of it was bad. She lifted her head and Yuri was staring at her with her usual cocky look. The look when she knew she was never wrong.

The shorter woman smiled. A partner it is.

****

Don't mind YulSic. It's JeTi ftw!!

And oh... I haven't even slept... and now my alarm is ringing... what....