You, Me; Us

Lastly

Tiffany let out a tired sigh as she dropped herself onto the soft mattress. Her eyes were almost closed but Jessica was still in the bathroom, showering. Somehow she didn’t want to sleep first. She kept her eyes open, waiting for Jessica to finish. Today she didn’t go to work but she felt really tired.

The dinner went surprisingly well. Tiffany was completely amazed at how her father acted in front of her and Jessica. So Jessica really meant it when she said that Tiffany’s father approved them both. Tiffany smiled a little at the thoughts. Her dad agreed. Her dad didn’t mind. What else could she ask for?

Minutes later, Jessica finally walked out from the bathroom. Tiffany turned her gaze from the ceiling to the older. Her smile widened. Seeing Jessica’s wet hair with a towel on her head and a busy hand drying it, Tiffany had missed it. But Jessica didn’t notice that smile. She grasped her phone on her desk and started typing something.

Slowly, Tiffany rose from the bed and approached the older, soon hugging her from behind. Jessica hummed, still busy with her phone. Tiffany kept mum for a while, burying her nose on Jessica’s damp shoulder, sniffing the scent that could make her head spin in an unbelievably nice way.

“You smell good.” She murmured.

“Why thank you.” Jessica chuckled, “I’ve been told that before.”

“What?” Tiffany frowned, “Someone had sniffed you too?”

Another chuckle, “Of course. You think it’s only you?”

Frowning even more, Tiffany instantly withdrew her arms from Jessica. It led a soft laughter from the latter. Jessica then put her phone down and turned around. Smiling, she circled Tiffany’s waist and pulled her closer.

“But the only one who ever said I smell good is you. Okay?” She gave a small peck on Tiffany’s forehead, “And you smell not bad too.”

The younger scoffed, “Is there really no one else who said the same thing?”

“Who do you mean?”

“I don’t know… well, the women after-- before me.”

“Oh, we’re talking about my exes now? Which one should I tell first?”

Tiffany hissed, “No one!”

With that she pushed the giggling Jessica away and that made the latter’s back slightly hit the table behind her, making her wallet fell down opened. Tiffany looked down and was kind of surprised seeing a printed photo of her was inside the wallet, Jessica’s wallet. It was an old photo and Jessica still had it.

“Well,” Jessica bent down and picked her wallet, “yes Miss Hwang, I have your photo in my wallet.”

“That’s good to know.” Tiffany held her smile, she kept it cool, “Do you keep photos of all the women you’ve dated?”

Jessica cringed, “No. That would be too many.”

Tiffany’s expression darkened.

“No, really.” Jessica laughed before she stopped and took out Tiffany’s photo from where it was placed in her wallet, “But, to be honest, the truth is, I only keep photos of three women in my wallet.”

“Oh, yeah? Who are they?”

“First, you.” She showed Tiffany’s photo and put it down before she took another photo, “Second and third, me and her.”

Tiffany could only keep mum seeing it. Jessica and Kim Taeyeon.

It was different from the previous photo of them that Tiffany had seen. In the photo, Taeyeon was the one holding the camera, while Jessica hugged her from behind. Tiffany also noticed that Taeyeon was wearing that familiar hospital gown. Both of them smiled and it somehow, hurt Tiffany because Jessica’s smile looked so bitter.

“This is the last one I took with her before she left.” Jessica continued, staring at the photo, “We were on the hospital’s rooftop, a few days before the heart transplant. She wanted to go outside, I forbid, she insisted. She said she might unable to see me again after the transplant so before that, she wanted to make memories. I protested at that, well, I had high hopes. But… turned out she was right.”

Jessica exhaled a breath before she put it back inside her wallet, and Tiffany’s photo followed after, covering the previous one.

“I hope you don’t mind. I mean, I know it’s selfish of me asking you this but--”

“Jessi,” Tiffany quickly cut her, the jealousy was long gone, “I don’t mind. I understand she means so much for you. In a different way from I do for you.”

As Jessica put the wallet away, she kissed Tiffany in the way that only herself could do it. It was simple, but it washed Tiffany’s insecurities away. She even asked herself how she could doubt Jessica at the first place. Everything in her wanted Jessica and she needed no more reason to surrender in the pure bliss.

-

“You should… change that photo of me somehow…”

The things Tiffany wanted to say barely escaped in between her short takes of breath and gasps. She was lying on her back with Jessica hovering on top of her, endlessly placing her lips here and there on Tiffany’s neck and jaw. The younger had her hands tangled in Jessica’s hair, which was still slightly wet.

“Hmm? Why is that?” Jessica hummed into Tiffany’s neck, and it tickled the latter.

“Because it’s--” Her breath hitched when Jessica nibbled her earlobe, “I’m seriously going to kick your leg again, Jessi.”

Jessica chuckled lowly and stopped what she was doing. She pushed herself up and stared at the younger beneath her. With a smile, she brushed Tiffany’s bangs off of her forehead and gave it another peck.

“Because it’s old and can’t resemble you anymore?”

Tiffany shrugged, “Kind of.”

“Alright. If that’s what you want.”

Slightly, Jessica pressed her lips onto Tiffany’s before she stood up from the bed to put the wet towel away. Tiffany sat up, eyeing Jessica’s back. She didn’t know why, she had always liked watching Jessica doing things.

“Hey, Fany.” Jessica suddenly called, still had her back facing the younger.

Tiffany hummed.

“Your dad mentioned something about blind dates earlier.” She turned around, “Have you ever gone on one?”

“Oh, that.”

Tiffany merely nodded and lied herself again. Yes, her father did say something that had the words ‘blind dates’ slipped in between. Jessica must’ve caught it. Tiffany sighed. Why did he have to bring that up, anyway? A blind date wasn’t something strange but Tiffany somehow didn’t like the fact that she indeed, had gone to several.

“Wow, that’s cool. Tell me.”

After Jessica had joined her back on the bed, both of them lied side by side, Tiffany stared at the ceiling and started,

“Dad told me to go. And… I’ve gone to some blind dates actually, not just once. And those weren’t the typical blind date everyone knows. Dad wouldn’t just let me date with a total stranger. I wouldn’t call it a blind date either, more like, a match making?”

Jessica nodded her head, her lips pursed.

“It was always like, ‘Tiffany, his name is blablabla. He’s the youngest grandson of Mr. blablabla. Young, smart, and don’t worry, handsome. Meet him in your favourite restaurant next Friday night. Give him the best impression of our family’.” She imitated her father’s voice, “Always the same place, always on Friday night, always the same sentences Dad gave me referring to those dudes.”

“That’s… pretty awesome.” Jessica crossed her arms, “How were those dudes?”

A shrug, “Boring. They always boasted about their families. Well, that’s understandable since they’re from such wealthy mighty families but still, who the heck cares?”

“But some women do care, though…”

Tiffany turned her head to Jessica, “And you do?”

Jessica only gave her a lopsided smile.

“So, yeah.” She returned her gaze back to the ceiling, “It happened. But I liked none of them. They were handsome and all but… not my type.”

“Hmm…” Jessica nodded again, “so am I your type then?”

Hearing the question made Tiffany once again tore her gaze from the ceiling to the older beside her. She smiled, observing Jessica’s side profile. When Jessica looked back at her, she lied on her side.

“Not really.”

“What?” Jessica frowned.

“Yeah, you’re not my type. But,” Tiffany pulled Jessica closer by the collar, “you’re the only one who can make me screw the type thingy.”

Jessica chortled, “That’s quite cheesy. But I buy it.”

-

Tiffany’s tired eyes lit up instantly seeing what Jessica had prepared for her.

“Welcome home!”

She cooked. Tiffany was amazed. Jessica cooked for her. As what she remembered, Jessica couldn’t cook. She’d burn the kitchen instead. Back then none of them could, so they preferred buying foods outside or through delivery. Sometimes Tiffany could cook ramen and stuff but that was all.

Jessica helped Tiffany taking off her coat and pulled her to the dining table. She had cooked many, and those looked delicious, Tiffany didn’t even lie. After she thanked Jessica, giving her a kiss or two, both of them sat down across each other. Tiffany took bites of each food and it tasted just like what she had thought.

“How?” Jessica asked. She had her elbows on the table with her palms under her chin.

Because was still full, Tiffany gave the older a thumb up.

“I knew it.” Jessica balled her fist, “I can cook now. You didn’t know, right?”

“I didn’t. That’s great, Jessi. I never thought you’d be this great.”

A shrug, “Yeah, I’ve been told that before.”

Tiffany’s shoulders sagged, “Okay, now you’re saying that I’m not the first one tasting your homemade foods?”

“Of course not.” Jessica grabbed her chopsticks, “In fact you’re the-- wait. One, two, three… fourth person tasting my foods.”

Tiffany stopped munching instantly.

Jessica chuckled, “The first one was Sooyoung. She even gave me some personal lesson in cooking. She said cooking was one of many useful activities during free times. I should give some credit to her. She had tasted my food from the worst, the uncooked, the overcooked, until finally I became a decent chef.”

A decent chef. Tiffany let out a giggle.

“So the second and the third?”

“Yoong and Jisoon. At the same time that day.” Jessica smiled, “When they said they liked it I finally got my self-confidence.”

“But this is good, Jessi. Really. I mean it.” Tiffany assured.

“Alright. That’s good to know.” Jessica plunged a bite of dumplings into , “And you should consider yourself lucky because I rarely cook for anyone else.”

Tiffany laughed at that. To think about it, she was indeed lucky having Jessica sitting right across her after years of separating. She glanced at the older a few seconds before continued eating. It bothered Jessica being stared when she eats, Tiffany knew that.

“How was your work today?” Jessica then asked.

“Usual.” Tiffany said, still munching, “Nothing special. Papers, meetings, clients, such things. My eyeballs hurt.”

“Oh, I know that feeling.”

“Yeah, glad you do.”

They lifted their heads at the same time, making their eyes met. Both of them smiled at each other before they hung their heads again. The silence between them was far from awkward. Tiffany was talkative but she didn’t mind being silent because she knew, Jessica was comfortable this way.

-

“Jessi?”

Tiffany sat up, blinking her sleepy eyes and saw Jessica was busy tidying her clothes. She couldn’t sleep first before Jessica. At least the older had to be by her side. She didn’t know why, it had become a habit these past times. Jessica looked up to Tiffany and raised her eyebrows at the younger.

“Hmm? I thought you’re asleep already.”

“Can’t. Come here quick.” She extended her arms like a baby.

“Alright. Coming.”

They spent some minutes later being silent. Tiffany snuggled close to Jessica, but she couldn’t sleep. Meanwhile Jessica still had her eyes open. She took a nap earlier when Tiffany went to work. She was basically jobless there. All she did was roaming around the house alone.

“Jessi?” Tiffany finally broke the silence.

“Hmm? Wait, you’re still awake?”

“Yeah… sleepy but can’t sleep.”

Jessica nodded and pulled the younger closer.

“You know,” Tiffany started again, “I always wonder about one thing.”

“What is that?”

“How many women have you dated after I left? Or men, maybe?”

A fake gasp, “Oh, we’re really talking about my exes now?”

“Yes, we are. Because I’m curious.” Tiffany didn’t budge, “So?”

“Well…”

Jessica looked at the ceiling. She didn’t expect Tiffany to actually ask about that. To think about it, Tiffany probably wanted to be fair. Jessica already knew that in the six years when they separated, Tiffany had gone to some blind dates, even though she dated none. But at the same time, the younger had no idea about Jessica.

“Two.” She then answered.

Tiffany raised her eyebrows, “Two?”

“Yeah, two.” Jessica did the same, “Did you think it’d be many?”

“You said yourself-- oh forget it. I should’ve known you were kidding.”

Jessica shrugged, “Flings don’t count, though.”

Tiffany elbowed her instantly, “Really, you…”

“I’m kidding. Well, probably not.” She chuckled before she continued, “I only dated twice. None of it lasted long. I don’t know… I wasn’t even truly interested in them. They were pretty and all but if I had to choose, I’d rather spend times with my friends instead of them. Probably that’s why they broke up on me.”

“Hmm… really? How did it feel being dumped?”

“I didn’t feel anything.” Jessica scoffed, “I should’ve dumped them first. They were like, ‘Jessica, I’m really sorry but we have to end this’ and I only went, ‘oh, okay then’.”

Tiffany laughed, “Meanie.”

“But that’s the truth.”

Not long after that, Tiffany yawned and they had to stop their talking. It didn’t need much time for the younger to finally doze off. Jessica busied herself with her phone to make herself sleepy. She then smiled seeing the picture of herself and Tiffany on the screen. Their talk earlier replayed in her head. She really didn’t lie when she said she didn’t feel anything in being dumped. Because in all honesty, losing Tiffany hurt her much, much more than anything else.

Which is no way it would happen again.

-

Jessica raised her head to look at the screen. The time was close.

Among the noisy voices of people around her, Jessica could hear some rushed steps toward her from behind. Tearing her gaze from the screen away, Jessica turned around. Tiffany was walking, or more like half-running to her and Jessica smiled at the former. When she was close, Jessica felt intimidated in an instant because Tiffany was wearing high heels.

“Why didn’t you wear this?”

In a sudden Tiffany put a scarf on Jessica which made the latter yelped because the former indirectly yanked her closer forcefully by the neck.

“I had put it on top of your suitcase earlier! It’s going to be cold!”

“Oh, I didn’t see it.” Jessica grinned, fixing the scarf around her neck, “It must’ve fallen down. Sorry.”

Tiffany puffed a breath, “That’s okay, at least you’re wearing it now. And oh, I bought you this. Bring it with you.”

She handed Jessica a small paper bag with bread inside. Jessica smiled widely.

“Whoa, thank you. I will, don’t worry.”

“I got you the chocolate one too. You still like chocolate, right?”

“I do.” Jessica nodded, “Thank you, Fany. Really.”

They both stared at each other in silence for a moment. Jessica broke it by looking at the screen behind her again. She needed to get going. Sighing, she tightened the scarf around her neck and picked up her belongings.

“I guess I need to go.” She said.

“Yeah…” Tiffany nodded, her smile faded, “I know.”

“Hey,”

Jessica scooted closer and gave a short peck on Tiffany’s lips. She had to lift her head a little because Tiffany was taller that time.

“Promise me it won’t be long?”

Tiffany nodded, her hands cupped Jessica’s cheeks and kissed her again, deeply this time. When the air was getting pretty scarce for them, they pulled away, foreheads linked.

“I promise.” Tiffany whispered, “Be careful on your way.”

“Alright. I will. And uh, I don’t like your high heels.”

Jessica pulled herself away after, ready to go with her belongings. Tiffany watched Jessica waved her hand at the former, which Tiffany did the same, before she turned around, and soon got her ticket and passport checked.

When Jessica almost reached the entrance door, Tiffany called,

“Jessi!”

The older turned around.

“I love you.” Tiffany mouthed.

Jessica smiled and mouthed back, “Love you too.”

Both of them smiled until Jessica at last, disappeared behind the doors. They both knew it wouldn’t be long until they meet again. Tiffany stood there for some time until she walked away, still keeping her smile. She had promised, and she would keep it.

****

Yes... the ending is near, I guess. Gotta say goodbye for this soon. And I still have BWC and EDTML to finish.