The First Story

The Stolen Book

Hyoyeon’s mother-in-law came to visit them.

“Uhmeoni, you should’ve called that you’re coming so I can fetch you in the airport.” Hyoyeon said.

“No need. I was planning to surprise you.” Onew’s mother said. “Where’s my son?”

“He is still at work.” Hyoyeon said.

Then, they heard a cry coming from Hyun Woo’s room.

“He’s probably awake.” Hyoyeon said.

Hyoyeon went to her son room.

“Hyun Woo, look who’s here.” Hyoyeon said while carrying her son.

“Omo! My favorite grandson.” Onew’s mother said.

“Hyun Woo, come to granny.” Hyoyeon said and puts down her son.

Hyun Woo walks towards his grandma.

“Aigoo… My grandson is tall.” Onew’s mother said. “I have something for my favorite grandson.”

Onew’s mother took something out from her bag.

“Tada!” she proudly said.

“What’s that, uhmeoni?” Hyoyeon asks.

“This is a rosary bracelet. Don’t take this off from Hyun Woo. It will protect him against evil spirits.” She said.

Onew’s mother is a religious person.

“Uhmeoni, are you going to stay here for a while?” Hyoyeon asks.

“Just for tonight.” She said.

“But why?” Hyoyeon asks.

“I didn’t come back in South Korea to disturb you all. I came here to attend the reunion of my friends. We are going to stay in Jeju for 1 month.” She said.

“Ah… How are sister-in-law and Hara?” Hyoyeon asks. She is talking about Onew’s little sister and her daughter that live in Philippines. That’s where Onew’s mother lives. Onew’s mother doesn’t like winter that’s why she decided to live in Philippines.

“They are fine. She finally moved on after her husband left her.” She said.

“Good to hear that.” Hyoyeon said. “Uhmeoni, what do you want for dinner? I’ll cook it for you.”

“Beef stew.” She said.

“I’ll start cooking it now.” Hyoyeon said. “Take some rest in your room. I’ll call you when it’s dinner time.”

“Ne.” she said.

Hyoyeon went to the kitchen while Onew’s mother went to her room.

Hyun Woo was left in the living room to play. While he was playing, the door of his parents’ room opened. He noticed it and went inside the room. He looks under the bed and saw the book. He was about to reach it when someone carried him.

“What’s my baby doing there?” Hyoyeon asks. “You are not allowed in our room.”

Hyoyeon brings Hyun Woo back to the living room and closed the door of their room.

………………………………………………………………..

Onew was happy to see his mother again.

“Uhmeoni, why don’t you stay here for a while?” Onew asks.

“I try after the reunion in Jeju.” She said.

“Dinner’s ready.” Hyoyeon said.

“Let’s eat.” Onew said.

“Hon, Yoona called me. We are having a get together this Sunday in their house.” Hyoyeon said.

“What about Hyun Woo?” Onew asks.

“I called Seohyun and asked her to watch over Hyun Woo on Sunday.” Hyoyeon said. Seohyun is Hyoyeon’s dongsaeng.

“Is it ok with her?” Onew asks.

“Ne. She can study for her exams without getting disturbed by her dorm mates.” Hyoyeon said.

“Then, it’s settled.” Onew said.

………………………………………………………………..

Sunday Night…

“Luna, Leeteuk, you’re late. Everyone is here.” Yoona said when she opened the door.

“Mian.” Luna said.

“We bought chickens.” Leeteuk said.

“Chickens?” they heard Onew’s voice. “Chickens!”

Onew came running and snatches away the chickens from Leeteuk’s hand.

“Aigoo… Chickens.” Hyoyeon said.

“Until now he loves chickens.” Taemin said.

“He loves chickens more than me.” Hyoyeon said.

They started the dinner then after that they gathered in the entertainment room.

“Unnie, don’t be so noisy. I need to study for my entrance exam.” Miori said. She is Siwon’s dongsaeng.

“Miori, why don’t you just go back to your dad’s house?” Siwon asks. Miori is his half-sister.

“I don’t like there, oppa.” Miori said.

“Then, keep quiet.” Siwon said.

Miori pouted before going inside her room.

“Just don’t mind her. She is still jealous at Yoona.” Siwon said.

“Anyway, what are we going to do now?” Krystal asks.

“Scary stories.” Sulli said.

“I’ll start.” Onew said.

“Not you.” Leeteuk said.

Onew took out the book that he stole.

“Where did you get that?” Taemin asks.

“I bought it in a bookstore.” Onew said.

“It looks old.” Yoona said.

“I’ll start reading it.” Onew said. “The first story is about the thief.”

………………………………………………………………..

50 years ago, there was a famous horror novel writer lives alone in a big mansion. Despite of being rich, the old writer lives alone. He doesn’t have any family so no one will inherit his money.

A poor man decided to rob the mansion. The night when the moon is full, he secretly sneaks in the mansion while the old writer is sleeping.

He puts all the expensive things in his bag.

The bag is almost full so he searched for some gold and money.

He saw a room at the end of the corridor at the second floor. The door is locked so he tried to open it by force.

He didn’t know that the old writer woke up because of the noise.

The thief entered the room. All the gold and money are there and at the center of the room is the book that has a golden cover.

“Is this a real gold?” the thief asks.

“Don’t touch that!” it was the old writer. “Take all the gold and money you want but leave the golden book. That’s the most precious thing to me.”

“If this is the most precious thing to you, then I’ll take it.” The thief said.

“No!” the old writer said. He tried to stop the thief but the thief stabbed him to death.

After realizing what he have done to the old writer, he escaped leaving the golden book lying on the ground on the side of the old writer’s dead body.

The thief went back to his house where his family is waiting.

The next morning, the thief sells the things he stole in the black market while he hid the gold and the money under their house.

While selling the expensive things in the black market, he saw the golden book. He can’t explain why but he felt goosebumps when he saw the book. He remembered the old writer’s face when he died.

All the expensive things are sold except the golden book.

Walking back home, he decided to throw the golden book in the river. After throwing the golden book, he hurriedly goes home.

After a year, the thief became rich. He built a mansion next to the old writer’s mansion that now became abandoned mansion.

“Appa, why didn’t you buy the old writer’s mansion?” his oldest daughter asks.

“I don’t like that mansion. It is too big for us and the old writer died inside his mansion. When you enter the mansion, you’ll see a wide stairs that lead to the second floor.” He said.

“Appa, how did you know? Have you entered the mansion?” the youngest daughter asks.

“A-Aniyo.” He said.

“Then, how come you knew what’s inside the mansion?” the youngest daughter asks.

“I heard it to some people.” He said. “It’s already late. You should sleep now.”

“Ne.” his daughters said.

………………………………………………………………..

That night when everyone is asleep, the thief woke up in the middle of the night.

“Thief…” someone whispered to his ears.

The thief get up on his bed and looks around the dark room. “Who are you?” he asks.

“Thief…” a voice said on his left ear.

When he turned left, he saw the old writer sitting on his side.

“This is impossible… I already killed you.” He said.

“Thief…” the old writer said.

The old writer keeps on saying the word thief.

The thief screamed as loud as he can.

………………………………………………………………..

“Hon, wake up! You’re having a nightmare.” The thief’s wife said why trying to wake her husband’s up.

She woke up in the middle of the night because she heard her husband screaming.

The thief’s daughters went to his and wife’s bedroom.

“Appa, wake up.” The oldest daughter said.

The thief woke up but he strange. “I already killed you. Why are you here?” he said.

“Hon, what’s wrong with you?” his wife asks.

The thief took out his knife hidden under his pillow and stabbed his wife because he thought that it is the old writer.

His two daughters screamed.

He looks at them and he can see the old writer’s face.

“You are still alive?” he said.

His daughters run and he followed them.

His daughters went to the youngest daughter room and locked it.

The oldest daughter hid the youngest daughter inside a cabinet. “Don’t go out, ok?” the oldest daughter said.

The youngest daughter nodded.

As soon as she closed the closet, their dad came in like a raging bull. His eyes are red and his clothes are stained by the blood of his wife.

“Appa, please don’t do this.” His oldest daughter said.

“I already killed you in your mansion.” The thief said. “And I am going to kill you again!”

The youngest daughter saw his father killing her sister. She wants to scream but she afraid that her father will hear it. Just then she saw something.

After killing his daughter, he looks around to see if the old writer will be back. Then, he noticed the closet. He opened the closet and he saw his youngest daughter there.

“Hyuna, why are you there?” he asks. He noticed the book that his youngest daughter hugging. It is the golden book.

“I-Impossible.” He said. His knees are shaking. He fell on the floor.

His youngest daughter came out of the closet and to his surprised the old writer is standing on the back of her.

He moves backward until he felt something wet on the floor. He looks at his hands and he saw blood. He looks at his back and he saw the dead body of his oldest daughter.

“H-Hyomin…” he said.

“You killed her.” His youngest daughter and the old writer said.

“A-Aniyo…” he voice is trembling.

“You killed her and your wife.” The two said.

The thief was scared and runs away.

He wants to check his wife so he went to their room but he saw his wife dead covered in blood.

When he goes out of their room, he saw the old writer with his youngest daughter coming towards him.

He wants to go out of the mansion but the two are blocking the stairs. He runs towards the terrace and see if he can go down there but there is nothing he can use to climb down.

The two are already at the terrace.

“You killed me and in return I will kill you.” The old writer said.

“Please forgive me.” The thief said and kneels down.

The old writer came towards him and strangle the thief until he die.

The old writer turned to the youngest daughter.

“Are you going to kill me too?” she asks.

The old writer shook his head.

“Promise me one thing.” He said. “You will take care of that book.”

“I promise.” She said.

The old writer smiles then disappear.

The youngest daughter of the thief decided to live in the old writer’s mansion.

………………………………………………………………..

“The lesson, don’t steal.” Hyoyeon said. “Right, Onew?”

“Right…” Onew said but he is not comfortable because he stole the book.

“Next story.” Krystal said.

“I am going to tell the story again?” Onew asks.

“Ne.” they all said.

“Ok.” Onew said.

………………………………………………………………..

Hyoyeon and Onew’s apartment…

Seohyun is inside Hyun Woo’s room. Hyun Woo is already asleep while Seohyun is reviewing for her exams.

She didn’t notice that someone wearing black clothes walked from Hyoyeon and Onew’s room then to the kitchen.

Seohyun was frightened when she heard something fell from the kitchen.

She goes out of the room and checks on it. She saw a broken plate on the floor and on the side is the dog.

“Vivian, unnie will get mad because of what you’ve done.” Seohyun said and cleans the broken plate.

The dog barked.

“Vivian, keep quiet. Hyun Woo is already sleeping.” Seohyun said but Vivian doesn’t want to stop. “Stop barking or I’ll lock you up inside the bathroom?”

Vivian stops barking.

“Good.” Seohyun said and went back to Hyun Woo’s room and closed the door.

Vivian hides under the sofa while watching the person wearing black clothes walking around the house.