The Second Story

The Stolen Book

After 15 years, the tragic death of Hyuna’s family has finally forgotten by the people in the town or they are stopped talking about it. No one tried to enter the mansion of the thief and they even avoid walking or passing by the front of the mansion. Hyuna lives in the old writer’s mansion and protects the golden book. Although she lives alone there, Hyuna always goes out in the town to buy foods for her. The town people are kind to her and sometimes they give her some gifts during her birthday and Christmas but they never enter the old writer’s mansion because they are afraid that the old writer’s ghost will appear.

One night, Hyuna is in the balcony looking at the full moon when she saw someone moving from the forest. It is not a wild animal but a man! That man collapse on the ground.

Hyuna quickly goes out of the mansion and helped the man.

The man is unconscious. She brought him inside the mansion. She takes care of him the whole night.

On the next morning, the man woke up. He looks around the unfamiliar room.

“You’re awake.” Hyuna said when she enters the room.

“Where am I?” the man asks.

“You are in the old writer’s mansion.” Hyuna said. “I found you in the forest. You were unconscious and you have wounds.”

“I remember. I was in the forest searching for my younger brother, Yo Seob, when I encountered the wolves.” The man said.

“What are you doing in the forest?” Hyuna asks.

“We’ve been robbed by bandits and they took our carriage. I and Yo Seob have no choice but to walk until we got in the forest. Unfortunately we separate to each other and there I met the wolves.” The man said.

“You’re lucky because you managed to get out of the forest. Wolves can’t go out of the forest because they are scared of the town people.” Hyuna said. “I’ll make something for you. You’re probably hungry.”

“Wait! I didn’t get your name.” the man said when Hyuna was about to leave the room.

“My name is Hyuna.” Hyuna said.

“And I’m Hyunseong.” The man said.

………………………………………………………………..

Hyunseong wasn’t fully recovered from his wounds but he can walk outside his room.

“Do you know the story of this mansion?” Hyuna asks.

“Isn’t this the old writer’s mansion? A thief robbed the mansion but the old writer saw him. The thief killed the old writer. The old writer haunts the thief until he died.” Hyunseong said.

“I was the daughter of the thief.” Hyuna said. “We became rich because of the things my father stole from this mansion. I thought we will be happy forever but it didn’t last long. My family died and I left alone guarding the golden book.”

“Did you try to leave the mansion?” Hyunseong asks.

Hyuna shook her head. “I promised to the old writer’s spirit that I will never leave this mansion and take care of the golden book.”

“What is this golden book? It seems that it is very important.” Hyunseong asks. “Did you try to read it?”

“I never opened it.” Hyuna said. “All I knew that it is very important and it must not leave the mansion.”

A knock on the gate interrupts their conversation.

Hyuna checks it. She saw a young man.

“May I help you?” Hyuna asks. She never had seen that young man before.

“My name is Yo Seob and I am looking for my brother. His name is Hyunseong. Some people said that I will find him here.” The young man said.

Hyuna remembered the name that Hyunseong mentioned.

“He’s here. Come in.” Hyuna said.

Yo Seob is having a second thought if he will enter the old writer’s mansion. He also heard the story of it.

“Don’t you worry, you’re safe here.” Hyuna said.

Yo Seob really need to see his hyung so he enters the mansion.

“Follow me.” Hyuna said.

The two went to the garden where Hyunseong is.

“Hyung!” Yo Seob called.

“Yo Seob!” Hyunseong was happy to see his brother.

“I thought you were eaten by the wolves.” Yo Seob said.

“Where have you been?” Hyunseong asks. “I’ve been looking everywhere in the forest for you.”

“I saw some lights and I followed it. I found out that they are people that live here. They are hunting some wolves. They helped me to get out of the forest.” Yo Seob said. “What happened to you?”

“I was chased by the wolves. Luckily I managed to get out of the forest and Hyuna helped me.” Hyunseong said.

“I wrote a letter to our family. We just need to wait for them to come where.” Yo Seob said.

“You can stay here until they come.” Hyuna said.

“Is it ok? What if the old writer’s ghost appears?” Yo Seob asks.

“No ghost, ok?” Hyuna said.

“Are you sure?” Yo Seob asks.

“Yo Seob, I am here for a while and I can say that there is no ghost here.” Hyunseong said.

“I believe my hyung.” Yo Seob said.

………………………………………………………………..

That night after their dinner, Hyuna went early to her bedroom while Yo Seob went to Hyunseong’s room.

“Hyung, this mansion is so big but I can’t see dust around the mansion. Did she clean the mansion all by herself?” Yo Seob asks.

“Maybe. She didn’t let anyone enter the mansion except us.” Hyunseong said.

“But it is so big. It will take a life time before you could finish cleaning.” Yo Seob said. “Anyway, did you see it?”

“See what?” Hyunseong asks.

“The golden book.” Yo Seob said.

“Do you think in my condition I can walk around the mansion to find the golden book?” Hyunseong asks.

“Then you didn’t see it?” Yo Seob asks.

“No.” Hyunseong said.

“Did you ask her about the golden book?” Yo Seob asks.

“I asked her if she knows what’s inside the book but she said that she never opened the book.” Hyunseong said.

“I am really curious what’s written in that book.” Yo Seob said.

“Since you are here you can find the book.” Hyunseong said. “We came all the way here from our town just to know what’s written in the golden book.”

“Don’t worry, hyung, I will know the secret of the golden book.” Yo Seob said.

………………………………………………………………..

The next day…

“I’m going to the market to buy our foods. I’ll be back after two hours.” Hyuna said.

“We will stay here and wait for you.” Hyunseong said.

Hyuna takes her basket and left.

“Hyung, this is my chance to find the golden book.” Yo Seob said.

“Araso. Show it to me once you found it.” Hyunseong said.

“Ne.” Yo Seob said.

………………………………………………………………..

“Good morning, Hyuna. Haven’t seen you this past few days.” The ahjumma, that selling fruits, said. “I heard that you have visitors.”

“Not actually visitors. I helped the guy and let him stay in the mansion until he fully recovered.” Hyuna said. “They are waiting for their family to come and get them.”

“Do you like to buy some apples? I will give you some discount.” The ahjumma said.

“Ne. Thank you.” Hyuna said.

“Buy some meat, too, Hyuna. I’ll give you a discount.” The ahjushi said.

“Do you want vegetables? They are all fresh.” The ahjumma, that selling vegetables, said.

………………………………………………………………..

Yo Seob is walking around the mansion to find the book. He’s been searching all over the place but the mansion is too big.

Then, he heard the gate open. It means that Hyuna came back. He quickly go back to Hyunseong’s room.

“Did you find it?” Hyunseong asks.

“Aniyo. The mansion is big and lots of rooms.” Yo Seob said. “I’ll try tonight.”

“How are you when I am gone?” Hyuna asks when she enters the room.

“We are just talking about anything.” Yo Seob said.

“I think you’re getting bored.” Hyuna said.

“Do you have some books that we can read?” Hyunseong asks.

“Well, there is a library at the first floor. You can read all the books there but don’t enter the door inside the library. It’s forbidden.” Hyuna said.

“Don’t worry, we will just read the books.” Hyunseong said.

“I’ll go to the kitchen to cook for our lunch.” Hyuna said and left.

Hyunseong and Yo Seob look at each other.

………………………………………………………………..

After making sure that Hyuna is already sleeping, Yo Seob went out of his room to go to the library. It is dark in the mansion because all the lights are off.

Silently, he enters the library. Unlike outside the library, the library has lights but not all the part of library has lights.

Yo Seob is walking towards the door inside the library when…

“Are you here to read some books?” it was Hyuna.

Yo Seob was shocked.

Hyuna is sitting on a one-seated sofa and holding an opened book. On her side is a lamp.

“N-Ne. I-I thought you are already asleep.” Yo Seob said.

“I always go here to read before I sleep.” Hyuna said.

“Ah…” Yo Seob said.

Hyuna stands up. “I’ll continue reading this in my room.”

“A-Araso.” Yo Seob said.

Hyuna left the library.

Yo Seob silently opened the door inside the library. The room is dark but at the center there is a light, it is lighting the golden book. Yo Seob immediately walks towards the golden book.

He stares at the book for a while before taking it. He puts it inside his shirt and quickly left the room. He didn’t know as soon as he steps out of the secret room, pair of red eyes appeared at the corner of the room.

………………………………………………………………..

Yo Seob hurriedly goes to the second floor of the mansion where his room is. He didn’t know that Hyuna is watching him from the balcony.

After getting inside his room, he opened the book.

………………………………………………………………..

The next morning…

“Good morning.” Hyuna greets Hyunseong when Hyunseong enters the dining room.

“Good morning.” Hyunseong said.

“Breakfast is ready. Where’s your brother?” Hyuna asks.

“Still sleeping, I think.” Hyunseong said.

Just then, Yo Seob came. Dark circles can be seen under his eyes.

“Haven’t you slept well last night?” Hyunseong asks.

“N-Ne.” Yo Seob said.

“Have you been up last night because of the book?” Hyuna asks.

“What book?” Yo Seob guilty asks.

“You went to the library last night, right? Probably, you found a book that you will read.” Hyuna said.

“Ah…. Ne…” Yo Seob said.

“I’ll be going out for a while. I’ll be back probably at night.” Hyuna said.

“Where are you going?” Hyunseong asks.

“I am going to visit my family’s grave. It is their death anniversary and usually I stay there for the whole day.” Hyuna said.

“Ah… ok.” Hyunseong said.

………………………………………………………………..

After the breakfast, Hyuna left them. Hyunseong talks to Yo Seob.

“What happened? Did you have the book?” Hyunseong asks.

“Hyung, I suggest you must not read it.” Yo Seob said.

“Why?” Hyunseong asks.

“I can’t tell you. For now, we must leave this place.” Yo Seob said.

“Don’t be so stupid. We came here to find the golden book and now you are telling me to leave. Where’s the book? Give it to me.” Hyunseong said.

“Hyung…” Yo Seob said.

Hyunseong didn’t listen to him and went to Yo Seob’s room. He looks around and saw the golden book lying on the floor.

“Hyung, please listen to me.” Yo Seob said.

Hyunseong takes the golden book to his room and locks the door.

“Hyung, open the door! Let’s leave now!” Yo Seob shouts but Hyunseong didn’t listen to him.

Just then, it became dark although it is only morning. Then, Yo Seob heard heavy footsteps coming from the first floor and he also heard a chain that’s being dragged.

The sound is getting closer.

Yo Seob went to his room and locks the door. He went to his bed and hides under the blanket while listening to the heavy footsteps with chain.

The sound is getting closer… closer… closer… closer… it stops at the front of the door of Yo Seob’s room.

Yo Seob heard a heavy breath outside.

“Go away… please… go away… go away…” he silently pray and closed his eyes.

After a while, the sounds stop.

Yo Seob opened his eyes. He looks at the window. The dark sky is gone.

Yo Seob didn’t go out of the room and waits for Hyunseong to done reading the golden book.

The sun sets when Hyunseong is finally go out of his room.

“Hyung, gwenchana?” Yo Seob asks.

Hyunseong stares at him with a blank face.

“What happened?” Yo Seob asks.

“L-Let’s go.” Hyunseong said.

“Ne!” Yo Seob said.

They go out of the mansion but when they are now at the gate, they found out that the gate is locked.

“Hyuna locked the gate. We need to wait for her to come back.” Hyunseong said.

“Let’s check her room. Maybe there is a duplicate key.” Yo Seob said.

The brothers went to Hyuna’s room. It isn’t lock so they easily get inside the room.

“Look everywhere. We need to get out of here before she comes back.” Hyunseong said.

Hyunseong went to the bathroom to check. As soon as he opened the lights the first thing he saw is……


CLIFFHANGER? I know! Hahaha! Jwesonghaeyo! Gomenazai! Sorry! Patawad! :P