He Doesn't Understand

Before 6:00

Age 12

The house phone is ringing, and since Mother is out grocery shopping, Young In picks up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey!  Where have you been?  I haven't seen you since yesterday."

Young In recognizes Jongin's voice when he says "Hey," but she doesn't feeling like saying "Hey," back.

"I was out all day with Mother," she lies.  "We went down to the street vendor to buy cookies."

"Oh." Jongin thinks it was strange that Young In left all day without telling him.  "Well are you busy today?"

"Yes."

"What are you doing?  Can I come over?"

Young In wants to say no, because she's still angry that Jongin went to play at the skate park without her.  She doesn't think Jongin deserves to come over.  

"Did you have fun yesterday?" she asks.  "At the skate park?"

"Oh yeah," Jongin laughs.  His voice rings through the phone and Young In wishes that she could laugh with him.  "It was so much fun.  We were skating right?  But then--you won't believe this--we were skating and the Sehun just...How did you know I went to the skate park?"

Young In blinks away a few tears she didn't know were there.  Her cheeks start to hurt because that's what happens when she's trying not to cry.  She thinks Jongin is a horrible person for leaving her all alone.  Again.

"Glad you had fun.  I had fun, too," she chokes.  "The cookies were really good."

"That's good...Hey, are you cr--"

"I gotta go," Young In says quickly.  "I'll talk to you later."

Jongin waits a little longer before putting the phone down, hearing the dial tone echo in his ear and a few words that sound a little something like promising never to fight with each other.  

A guilty feeling rises in his chest even though he doesn't know why.

 

 

14:50 pm