Changing and pretending

The Choice

 

9. Changing and pretending

 

            “The last hour of the week, finally!” Sehun sighed, slumping on a free chair next to Kris. The blond boy turned to look at him, not quite understanding why the younger came into his classroom during the short break they had.

            “What are you doing here?” he asked, staring at the newcomer who crossed his arms behind his head and shut his eyes.

            “I really don’t want to have my last hour with my class today. Can I stay? Your teacher won’t even see that I’m here.”

            “If that’s what you want” was Kris’ reply. He then proceeded to take a look around, seeing students chattering with their friends, others typing away on their phone and one even doing origami. ‘Okay, so there’s a giraffe, this must be a horse and… what is that? This doesn’t look like an animal at all!’ he thought. He tried to squint his eyes, hoping that it would help him identify the… thing but Sehun interrupted him.

            “You should stop staring. Makes you look weird.”

            “What?” Kris snapped, turning his head to look at him.

            “I said,” he repeated, “you should stop staring. It makes you look weird. Look at his face.”

            And indeed when Kris turned his head in the previous direction he saw Zitao looking right back at him with wide eyes and an unfinished origami in his hands. Ah, so it wasn’t done yet.  The boy waved at him with a small smile then turned back to the front of the classroom when their teacher entered the classroom. Kris’ mind immediately forgot the little incident and readied itself for the lecture to come while Sehun acted like he wasn’t here.

            At the end of the hour however, as every student rushed to exit the place and go back home, Sehun kept Kris back until every student was out of the classroom.

            “You’re changing.” he said as he turned to his friend.

            “What? No.”

            “It wasn’t a question.” the youngest laughed. “It was a statement. The guys are also seeing it.” He swung his backpack over his shoulder.

            “Well, something is wrong with you guys. I don’t see why nor how I would change.”  Kris answered. Sehun only snickered before going out of the classroom, soon followed by his blonde friend.

 

X X X X X X X X X X X X

 

            “Come on guys, or they’ll go away without us!” Kyungsoo exclaimed, pushing his friends towards Yixing and Baekhyun’s classroom.

            “What’s the rush?” asked Zitao while he was dragged away by Minseok.

            “You forgot?!” Luhan said as he turned back to look at him. “Baekhyun’s date is tomorrow!”

            “And?”

            “And? And we need to wish him good luck! Come on, before he exits the school!” he answered, going back to his previous mid-run mid-walk pace.

            His friends trailed behind at the same speed and were gifted by the sight of Baekhyun and Yixing in the hallways coming their way. When the two young boys spotted them, they joined the rest of the group.

            “What are you still doing there?” Baekhyun questioned.

           “Good luck!” Luhan shouted, throwing himself at the neck of the younger. “Just be yourself. He’ll love you!”

            “Luhan, that’s nice but he won’t be able to go if you continue to suffocate him.” Minseok spoke up. As he released him however, he suddenly gasped.

            “What will you wear? And which hairstyle will you have? You’ll need help! I’m coming with you (to your home). Let’s go!” he said, pulling Baekhyun in the direction of the exit by his arm. The others looked with a small smile as Luhan was giving tips to Baekhyun who didn’t seem to approve of them. Slowly the group started to maketheir way back to the doors and everybody parted ways after saying their goodbyes. Kyungsoo whispered a simple “Good luck to you too” at Zitao and went off in the direction of his home, letting the other boy reflect on why he would need to be lucky. When he turned to go in the direction of the bus stop, he hadn’t seen Minseok being pulled to a dark side street but his eyes surely saw Kris walking ahead of him. Remembering today’s staring that happened a few minutes ago, he settled his mind and walked up to him.

            “Kris!” he called as he put a hand on the figure’s shoulder. The tall blond turned back and his eyes widened a bit as he saw Zitao standing there with a small smile gracing his features. He raised his eyebrows, expecting the younger to tell him the reason for stopping him. Rather than words, the black haired boy quickly searched through his bag to fish out a white object and shoved it to Kris’ chest. The blonde promptly took the object in his hand and examined it. A butterfly. An origami butterfly. The one that wasn’t finished. Kris snapped his head up and met Zitao’s eyes, once again asking wordlessly for an explanation.

            “I believe you’re changing for the better. And since it’s a good thing and that you seemed to like origami so I… uhm… decided to give you one. Yeah.” Embarrassment started to creep up and soon clouded Zitao’s mind. “Bye!” he said as he ran to the bus stop, praying that Kris doesn’t take the same bus.

            Even if Kris took the same bus, he wouldn’t be able to go in because he was stuck at the same place the younger left him, thinking. ‘What’s wrong with everybody nowadays? I’m not changing!’ In the midst of his internal crisis he realized that he couldn’t throw away the origami even if he wished to. He chose instead to ruffle his hair angrily before dropping his hand and making his way back to his car. ‘Might as well start a collection’ he thought before he drove off to his flat.

 

X X X X X X X X X X X X

 

            Jongdae was lucky that Minseok went his way. Not that he knew beforehand where he went because he already followed him, no. Just luck. But was he lucky to actually receive blows?

            After he successfully dragged Minseok in the dark alley the older started to punch him, wanting to break free from the grip he had on his forearms.

            “Let go of me you ert!” Minseok yelled and attempted to move his fist towards his attacker’s face.

            “ Minseok! Minseok stop, it’s me Jongdae!” he screamed as he dodged another punch. The chubby boy immediately stopped his attack and opened his eyes to glare at Jongdae. The younger let go of his arms and he crossed them, hoping to look more intimidating by doing so.

            “What now, Jongdae?”

            “Well… you heard how they are some rumors going around about me having a crush, right?” Minseok’s heart skipped a single beat inside his chest, and he nodded. “I would really like them to stop. And I think I found the perfect way.” he said as he stepped closer to Minseok who seemed glued on his spot and far from fighting back.

            “Which is?” Minseok whispered, the proximity making him uncomfortable.

            “Let’s be like we’re together.” Jongdae murmured back centimeters away from Minseok’s face. He watched pleasantly as the older tried his best not to blush.

            “Why me?”

            “Uhm… because I know you? I didn’t want to find a random person, so I’ve chosen you. It doesn’t matter to me if you’re a guy. It’s you and that’s final.” he smiled slightly. Minseok was so fascinated by his smile that his brain hadn’t told his mouth to shut, and both guys hadn’t expected this answer.

            “I’ll do it.”

            Jongdae’s eyes and smile grew larger. “Great! I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 10am. Be ready!” he announced as he made his way to the main street.

            Minseok, whose brain apparently preferred to use his mouth rather than his legs, turned his head to see him go. “Wait. What?”

            “See ya!” And with that Jongdae turned at the corner of the street and disappeared of Minseok’s vision. The latter was now trying to regain control of his brain. Why did he agree? Stupid brain of his! As he too made his way to the main street, he couldn’t help but to wonder why his mind kept replaying the ‘solution’ Jongdae found and why his chest was aching. Nervousness? It didn’t seem like that. He chose to forgot the issue quickly and opted to go back to his flat as soon as possible, a glance at his watch, told him that he spent more than 30 minutes with the younger.

 

 

--

 

 

A/N : Short one. I never thought I would be busier during my holidays than when I'm in school, sorry guys! This stupid project who took 6 of my 7 weeks of holidays...

And since it's unbeta-ed, because I wanted to give it to you guys quickly, I checked and erased more than 20 commas. I must have a problem to put them everywhere...

Finally, it should have been posted 30 minutes earlier, but Sehun's so hot in Yo!'s remake that I got caught up... #TotallyNotBiased . Blame it on Sehun's gorgeousness.

Bye! :3