Between improvements and falls

The Choice

6. Between improvements and falls

 

            The bell rang and the students exited their classrooms rushing to the restaurant, some of them were waiting in the hall for their friends to show up so they could have lunch together. That was the case of Baekhyun, Yixing and Kyungsoo, standing next to class 2-A door.

            “Hey guys” Zitao greeted as soon as he saw them. They smiled back and Yixing looked behind the newcomer, and then looked back at him with questioning eyes. “They’ll soon join us” he responded, understanding his wordless interrogation.

            “We’re here!” they heard a sing-song voice before 2 arms latched themselves around Baekhyun’s torso and honey-colored hair tickled his cheek.

            “Now that the princess kept us waiting long enough, let’s go!” Baekhyun , squirming to get rid of the clingy body.

            “Meanie!” Luhan pouted as he playfully punched his friend’s arm.

            “Can we go? I’m starving here…” Minseok asked but he quickly dropped the idea when he saw Kyungsoo turning pale and widening his eyes. “Kyu-“

            “Hey Zitao, do you want to eat lunch with us?” a tall blond questioned when he got to the small group, not sensing that everyone visibly tensed at his appearance.

            “Err…”

            “Of course your friends can join us.” he continued after the lack of reaction. “C’mon, here we go” he said leading the way to the restaurant with his hands on Zitao’s shoulders, guiding the latter who couldn’t protest. The 5 others silently agreed to accept the invitation and followed them, to keep an eye on their friend who looked frightened. The minutes until they finally seated themselves were dreadfully long and the meal was the same, if not, worse. The Kingkas were seated on one side of the table while the Nerds and Zitao were occupying the opposite seats. Glances were exchanged, the whole table being painfully aware of the silence. They could only hear the clanking of their forks against their plates, even in the chattering restaurant. That was, until Junmyeon spoke up.

            “So, how’s everybody’s day going?”

            Great…

            Finally, after awfully long minutes of lunch, the guests were about to flee to the hall when Kris’ voice was heard.

            “Zitao, do you wanna hang out with us after school?” he asked, looking up to the boys who were already taking their tray. Before Zitao could unfreeze and answer, Baekhyun replied for him.

            “Sorry, he’s already taken tonight” he said with a forced smile then turned to the boy who was the subject of the discussion “Right, Zitao?”

            “Uh? Oh yes…” With that Baekhyun dragged the boy away before he could apologize.

            “Man, that was awkward” commented Chanyeol while he lied back on his chair and closed his eyes.

            “Did he progressed at least?” wondered Jongdae.

            “He’s doing the talk better, but that’s his only improvement” Sehun responded before smirking at the tall blond who was gaping at him.

            “I would like to point out that he stayed unmoving for a shorter amount of time than the first time I talked to him!” he remarked.

            “For a millisecond? Sorry, I hadn’t saw it” Chanyeol joked.

            “Hey guys” Jongin intervened, locking his phone after he read a message. “My cousin’s coming in town, can I crash to one of your places?” he inquired.

            “You have a cousin?”

            “Of course, you can go to mine” Sehun said, Jongdae’s interrogation being unheard by the group.

            “Thanks I owe you one” Jongin smiled. They finally exited the restaurant, going to their afternoon classes with Jongdae constantly questioning about a possible cousin of Jongin.

 

X X X X X X X X X X X X

 

            “… Then he said “What’s in the instruction isn’t always true” and I looked at Zitao and whispered “So how could we work if the information given is wrong?”, you see, our results will also be wrong. And when I was about to ask, Mr. Lee went out of the classroom! How can we work…” Luhan blabbered as he and Kyungsoo went with Yixing to his first meeting with the members of the dance club. When they entered the main training room, they were greeted by the sight of some students, 20 maximum, warming up all over the room. The first people they recognized, however, were 3 Kingkas standing in one corner. But one of the seniors claimed their attention before they could register what they have seen.

            “So today, our new recruits will be asked to demonstrate their dancing skills with improvisation. It’ll help us, seniors, to have an idea of your capacities and favorite style, for the stage we will be giving during the year. Do your best! Let’s start with the alphabetical order? Please, stand on the side” he signaled to the other people in the room. They all backed against a wall, some of them sitting on the floor.

            “An improvisation? Right now? It’s not good…” whispered Yixing to Kyungsoo, his eyes remaining focused on the wall in front of him and his breathing beginning to quicken.

            “Hey, stay calm, there’s nothing to stress about. You’ll do great I promise. Plus they hadn’t said you’d be excluded if you’re doing it bad. If you really want to give your best, breathe. Be Zen” assured Kyungsoo, massaging his friend’s shoulders, slightly calming him down. They went back on to cheering the boy who was currently dancing. Seeing that he was talented, just like the others opponents who followed him, didn’t really eased Yixing’s mood.

            “Kim Jongin” one of the seniors called and the boy stepped at the center of the room. Music began to play through the stereo system but it wasn’t loud enough to cover the cheers from his friends, Sehun and Junmyeon.

            After 30 seconds of the show Kyungsoo has to help Yixing’s mind from running wild again by distracting him, asking for Luhan’s help this time. Sehun glanced at their direction and frowned then turned his head back to the center of the room in less than a second.

            “Hyung?”

            “Yes?” Junmyeon answered, not taking his eyes off the show.

            “Look to your right and tell me where have I seen this person before. The one talking to his friend with light brown hair” he demanded.

            “Luhan? He ate lunch with us earlier.”

            “Hyung” whined Sehun “I still remember! I mean, where I could have seen him before that” he said while glancing back to said boy.

            “Uh? I don’t know Sehun. Oh, he has finished!” Junmyeon clapped for their friend who went back to them smiling sheepishly.

            “So, what were you two talking about?” he whispered watching the next participant.

            “Nothing, we were watching you” he lied.

            “Don’t tell me this Sehun. While I was dancing, I suddenly couldn’t hear “Go Jong!” or you screaming anymore, you were obviously busy” the tanned one said.

            “You got me.”

            “So?”

            “I can’t remember where I’ve met a person before, but we’ll talk about this later tonight, or more like tomorrow” he said smiled knowingly to Jongin.

            “And finally, Yixing” the senior announced. Being at the end of the list with “Zhang” and having to watch all the others dance before him didn’t really ease his nerves. When he got to the center of the room he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, concentrating on his friends’ voices. As the music began he started to dance smoothly and the cheers got louder. He thought he was doing fine, and that everything was, until he missed one step and slipped.

            “Yixing!” he heard voices shouting his name but he couldn’t recognize any. He was lying on his back and everything hurt. It took him a few seconds to open his eyes, blinking to get them adjusted to the light emanating from the neon over him. He blinked once again to recognize the figures hovering above him. At his feet were his friends, Luhan and Kyungsoo, and behind them some curious students. At his left was a senior telling him to take his time and at his right was Junmyeon. Upon recognizing the latter his eyes widened and he tried to sit up, only to lie back on the floor groaning in pain and holding his head with one hand.

            “Are you okay? Don’t move too much” advised Junmyeon before he was told to get the nurse by the senior standing at Yixing’s other side. The others seniors asked the students to move back and that it was all for today’s activities.

            “I hope you didn’t hurt your feet in your fall” said the senior. “Can you try to move it?”

            “Yes, it’s just my head that hurts” he assured, moving his feet in circular motions to prove his point.

            “Don’t move until the nurse is here okay? I have to help out the other seniors. Guys, watch over him okay?” he demanded to Luhan and Kyungsoo who stayed for their friend. After the senior left, Yixing had to listen to Kyungsoo’s reprimands while looking to a worried-sick Luhan.

            “Kyungsoo, I swear I’m okay! I’ll just have a little bump but I’ll be fine.”

            “Fine? FINE?! It could have been worse Yixing! I told you to unwind yourself but of course you hadn’t listened, …” Kyungsoo went on, worsening Yixing’s headache. ‘I won’t escape it’ contemplated Yixing ‘Might as well figure out if it’ll last long…’

 

X X X X X X X X X X X X

 

            On the left side of the library, were geography books were ordered, at an empty table seated Zitao. He was studying, waiting for the videogames club to end to go at Baekhyun’s house, as it was decided in the heat of the moment during lunch. He looked up at the clock hanging over the large doors. 6 pm. ‘I still have half an hour, I can start Mr. Kim’s homework’ he thought and began his work. The clock just ticked 30 minutes that Baekhyun opened the library’s large doors. He looked around until his eyes landed on the frame of a person chewing on his pen and seeming deep in thought, in the geography section. He walked until he was standing in front of the boy and cleared his throat.

            “Ready to go?”

            Zitao raised his head and grinned when he recognized Baekhyun with his hands on his hips.

            “Sure, let me clean up the mess I made” he chuckled. Once Zitao put all his books in his backpack, he threw it over his shoulder and they walked out of the school. They made small talk on their way to the bus stop.

            “So, how was your first club meeting hyung?” asked Zitao.

            “It was cool, actually! We don’t really work, like not at all, we just talk and we-”

            “Um hyung? Isn’t that your bus over there?” interrupted Zitao, pointing to a bus at the end of the street.

            “Shoot, it is! Run Zitao!” yelled Baekhyun as he already started to run.

            “Hey, wait for me!” he shouted back, running after the brunette. When they arrived at the bus, both panting, they greeted the driver and seated themselves. The 20 minutes ride was mostly silent, the 2 boys recovering from their sprint and catching their breaths. They finally exited the bus and stepped in front of Baekhyun’s door.

            “I should warn you, my parents are home this time. Don’t mind them” he laughed and searched for his key. However the door opened before he could have fished his key out of his backpack. There stood a woman in her forties with a light scowl on her face that turned into a polite smile when she saw Zitao.

            “Oh Baekhyun! You’re home a little late, is it because you brought a friend?” she asked.

            “Yes mom, he’ll be with me in my room” he answered her. “Let’s go Zitao. You know the way.” Zitao bowed to Baekhyun’s mother and followed him through the living room where he bowed to his father, then went up in Baekhyun’s room.

            “Pfew, we made it!” sighed dramatically Baekhyun, throwing himself on his bed.

            “Why?”

            “Well, they hadn’t screamed and you’re here alive, that’s the best day of my life!” he smiled.

            “I think you’re overreacting hyung…”

            “Hmm… Nah, I don’t think so. Oh, let me show you the new game I like the most right now!” he said scrambling to get to his desk and opened his laptop. After one hour of lazing around, both lying on Baekhyun’s bed with his laptop at its end and playing games, his mother went to knock at his door and opened it.

            “Hey boys, it’s time for dinner. Does your friend needs a ride back?” she questioned.

            “No madam, I don’t live far from here I’ll walk.”

            “Good, then. I’ll wait for you two in the living room” and she left them.

            “Let’s go, I’m starving and you should be too” Baekhyun announced. They went down the stairs and Baekhyun’s mother accompanied Zitao to the door while the brunette was putting the plates on the table.

            “Goodbye” the woman said curtly before closing the door. Zitao was still putting his coat when the door closed on him. He paused for an instant and resumed to put his coat on, marching to the sidewalk. He turned a last time to the house, only to see two shadows disputing through the transparent curtain. He scurried off to his house, not wanting to get in any business that wasn’t his own, especially if it involved his friend’s family.

 

X X X X X X BONUS X X X X X X

 

            From : Jongin

            To : Jongdae

            ‘Hyung, I need you to do me a favor…’

 

            From : Jongdae

            To : Jongin

            ‘What kind?’

 

            From : Jongin

            To : Jongdae

            ‘Well it includes the reason why my cousin came here…’

 

            From : Jongdae

            To : Jongin

            ‘I’m still hurt I was the only one who doesn’t know about your cousin. Well, what’s the favor? Why did she came?’

 

            From : Jongin

            To : Jongdae

            ‘She went to see a concert, you see. And mom asked me to fetch here at the concert but I’m at Sehun’s and he doesn’t wanna let me go. Could you…?’

 

            From : Jongdae

            To : Jongin

            ‘Could you what? Fetch her instead of you? Are you insane? I don’t want to die in a concert full of teenage girls!’

 

            From : Jongin

            To : Jongdae

            ‘Hyung, you won’t die I promise! Pretty please? I’ll make it up to you! I’ll buy you a big pink rabbit plushy! Please, please, please!’

 

            From : Jongdae

            To : Jongin

            ‘Fine, but it’s because you’re the one who asked! Don’t think I’d love the plushy! When does it end?’

 

            From : Jongin

            To : Jongdae

            ‘Thanks hyung! It ends at 10 pm I think. But if you don’t wanna die, you need to blend into the mass…’

 

            From : Jongdae

            To : Jongin

            ‘I swear if you tell me to cross-dress I’ll kill you, plushy or not!’

 

            From : Jongin

            To : Jongdae

            ‘I knew I bought you with the plushy… No, don’t worry, just go to Sehun’s house and I’ll tell you what to do’

 

            From : Jongdae          

            To : Jongin

            ‘Kay’

           

           Jongdae took his keys and exited his flat, taking the bus to Sehun’s house. Once he exited to the nearest stop, he had to walk for 15 minutes before he could see the house. He briefly thought he should get himself a driving license as he rang the doorbell. It was Sehun who opened the door, grabbing his arm and pulling him inside. He dragged the poor Jongdae to his room where Jongin was searching in the youngest’s closet.

            “I can’t believe you bought things like this” Jongin said as he turned to the 2 boys who entered the room. “Hyung, you made it!” he smiled “Come here” he gestured for Jongdae to come closer to him.

            “So, what should I do to fetch your cousin? I only have half an hour to get to the other side of the city” he informed.

            “That’s why you should be quick. Put these clothes on you and go!” he said handing him bright clothes. As soon as Jongdae saw the pink shirt, he cried.

            “Are you kidding me?! There’s no way someone will see me in these clothes!”

            “C’mon, those are Sehun’s, if he can wear them without a problem, you can too. You promised hyung!”

            “Why do I think you are insulting my clothing choices?” the youngest inquired.

            “Not all of your clothes, Hun. Just those ones. Please hyung, I’ll buy you a really big plushy!”

            “Pfft, it’s just because I want to see if your cousin’s looks like you. Don’t even think about the plushy!” he said as he stepped into the nearest bathroom. Jongin high-fived Sehun as Jongdae was still changing and laughed. When Jongdae stepped out, he quickly bid them goodbye and speed-walked to the bus stop, hoping to get on time at the stadium (and also hoping Sehun and Jongin didn’t take photos of him in those clothes). He waited near the main exit with a photo of the girl he had to find through the (pink) mass of bodies. After 5 minutes, he still hadn’t found her when he heard the sound of a photo being taken at his left. He turned and effectively, there stood Jongin’s cousin who just took a photo of him. And probably messaging it, because she was still on her phone and Jongdae was in a too deep shock to move right now.

          “Jongin told me one of his friends would pick me up, but I didn’t expect this person to be dressed like… this” she said. “Come on, take me home now! I’m tired!” And Jongdae was too, so he quickly dropped her off at Jongin’s house before he got a text message from Sehun.

 

            From : Sehunnie

            To : Jongdae

            ‘Hyung! Bring back the clothes! I want to be sure they’re fine’

 

            From : Jongdae

            To : Sehunnie

            ‘They aren’t alive, Sehun. You’re giving those horrendous clothes too much care!’

 

            From : Sehunnie

            To : Jongdae

           ‘Hey, take that back! They aren’t horrible! I knew you wouldn’t understand so just bring it back please hyung.’

 

            From : Jongdae

            To : Sehunnie

            ‘Fine, I need to go back to my flat to put proper clothes before going back to your house. I might be there in 40 minutes.’

 

            Sehun locked his phone and turned when Chanyeol spoke up.

            “You didn’t have to rile yourself up for clothes, you know.”

            “Not you too… How’s the printing going?” he asked approaching the printer.

            “Well, I had to replace your red ink, but now the photo’s fine, just look” he said, showing to Sehun the A4 printed photo of Jongdae waiting in front of the stadium in his bright clothes (and his pink shirt, his favorite).

            “Good, are Junmyeon and Jongin almost here? They’re taking a long time… And where’s Kris?”

            “Kris will be here in 5 minutes, he just texted me. As for Junmyeon and Jongin, I’ll help them. Take the photo and the Scotch, we’ll finish the preparations.” They both went into the living room where Junmyeon and Jongin were working to make a giant bunny plushy stand by itself. Sehun taped the photo on its belly before he carried gifts next to the bunny. Chanyeol opened the door for Kris to enter and immediately asked the blond to help him with food and drinks. When they deemed that everything was ready, Sehun went to turn all the lights off and waited next to the others in the living room.

 

            From : Sehunnie

            To : Jongdae

            ‘Hyung, you can just put them on the couch in the living room. Jongin’s already sleeping and I will soon too, I’ll let the door opened.’

 

            “Hey, why should I be the one sleeping first?”

            “Shh Jongin, it’s not the time” scolded Junmyeon before the whole house went back into a silence. After 2 minutes, they heard footsteps approach the door and Sehun ran next to the lights switch. When the door opened, he waited a few seconds until he thought Jongdae was in the living room and switched the lights on.

            “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” they all screamed, successfully surprising the boy who was mid-way putting the clothes on the couch. He looked up and saw his friends smiling next to a giant bunny. He began to laugh hysterically when Jongin pointed to the bunny with his arms.

            “I promised, didn’t I?”

            “You knew it from the beginning, didn’t you?” he chuckled “But the print wasn’t necessary, you know…”

            “I know, but it makes it memorable, don’t you think?” Jongin inquired. Jongdae couldn’t help but tear up a little when he realized how his friends had planned this perfectly, even asking for Jongin’s cousin help. And he hadn’t guessed one second it’ll all be a surprise. He ran into the bunny’s arms, knocking it off on the ground and lying atop of it, hiding his wet eyes.

           “’C’mon, don’t cry oldie! Blew the candles so that we can eat the cake!” said Junmyeon holding out the cake.

            “Look who’s talking! You’re older than me hyung!” he laughed getting up and then blew the candles. Chanyeol and Kris threw Confetti at him and Sehun yelled “Yeah, cake!” They ate it and joked around until this was time to open gifts. Jongdae told them he was more than happy with his bunny already and that they shouldn’t have bought other presents. Jongin a lot that night about his plushy, such as “Are you grafted to the bunny hyung?” when he wouldn’t let it go. They hardly got sleep that night, always playing and reminiscing about good memories. It was certain that Jongdae’s surprise birthday party was going to enter the list (as his plushy will enter his bedroom).

 

 

--

 

Beta-ed. ^_^

A/N : Here's a 3k +, thank you for your patience everyobdy! With Jongdae's Bday as a bonus (since school started at the beginning of september, I figured the sotry should be around the 20th september). If there's some typos, it'll be corrected next week.

Woah, 51 suscribers! And almost 800 view! Thank you a lot! I came home friday and what did I see? EXO's comeback teasers? This week will be hell, how can I work on my physic test when the teaser is released at the same time? Argh...

Anyways, see you in two weeks for the next update! Bye~