Gossip

The Choice

8. Gossip

 

            In the dark bedroom, illuminated solely by a bedside lamp and the night sky, a figure was sitting cross-legged on the bed, hunched over colorful papers. There were 2 piles of these which were separated by some scattered in the middle. The person took one, read it quickly and put it on one pile. After repeating the same action over and over, the figure sighed and got up from the bed, lazily stretching before he opened a door and switched the light on. Zitao squinted his eyes at the sudden brightness contrasting with the dim light he was used to just a few seconds ago. He looked at himself in the mirror, passed a hand through his dark locks then stripped completely and stepped under the shower, shutting the door with a kick on the way. He exited the bathroom 20 minutes later in a boxer with a towel on his shoulders. He sat on the edge of his bed and began to dry his hair with said towel. Once he deemed it was enough, Zitao put it back on the towel rail and took his previous spot on his bed to finish the papers’ sorting.

            “Let’s see… for now I kept 2 clubs that I found interesting and I dismissed… 7 of them” he whispered to himself looking at the piles. He put himself back to work and finished to order the flyers, lying on his back when he completed this task looking at the 3 “finalists” in his hands.

            “Swimming club, Basketball club and Cross-dressing club…” Zitao sighed, exasperated. “No matter how many times I try to sort them out I always get the same ones at the end! And I’ll always prefer Basketball over the other ones. Well, sorry guys but I’ll go for it!” he said to nobody in particular. He closed his eyes and hoped that his friends will forgive him tomorrow, when he’ll tell them that he had chosen the same club as Kris. “It’s the fifth time I order them already… I really tried” he muttered, feeling the sleepiness washing over him slowly. Zitao wrapped himself in his sheets, letting a breath of contentment.

            ‘I don’t think Kris will be a lot of trouble, he already ate with us and was… friendly? In his own way I suppose…’ the dark haired boy thought. ‘Maybe he just wasn’t in the mood when we first met. Yeah, it must be that, and now he’s trying to make it up.’ He rolled over on his other side then opened slightly his eyes.

            “Crap, it’s 0:26 am already!” he exclaimed when he took a look at his alarm clock. He switched off the light and closed his eyes.

            ‘I still have a lot of difficulties to understand him and his jokes’ was his last thought before sleep took over him.

 

X X X X X X X X X X X X

 

            The lump in the bed rolled once again before kicking the sheets to the end of the bed with an angry huff and didn’t move any further. Baekhyun looked to the ceiling of his room blankly then extended his arm on the side and grabbed his phone, looking at the time. 0:32 a.m. ‘Oh, the joys of insomnia…’ he thought with sarcasm and sat on his bed. ‘I must be too irritated, might as well distract myself.’

            The brunette leaned over the side of his bed and picked up his laptop, loading the game he couldn’t play earlier thanks to his mother (and it’s probably what caused his actual frustration). He checked if the mute mode was on, then logged in. He was happy to see that his friend was still online, even if it was past midnight. He felt kind of relieved although he didn’t really know why he should be.

            Baek_65 : Hey! Are you still up?

            HapV92 : Yeah… What are you doing here? I thought you stopped playing for today

            Baek_65 : I didn’t want to stop, unexpected things came up and I couldn’t stay. But I wasn’t able to sleep so I decided to come back and distract myself a little.

            Baek_65 : By the way, why are you still there? It’s late

            HapV92 : Ah… I guess it’s because I was a bit annoyed? That you left me alone without chatting nor saying goodbye.  I needed to distract myself too.

            Baek_65 : Wah, sorry! I didn’t mean to, please don’t be angry!

            HapV92 : I don’t know if I should forgive you… /crosses arms and turns head/

            Baek_65 : Please~! I didn’t mean it, really! /pouts/

            HapV92 : Oh gosh you are way too cute for your own good! I can almost imagine you pouting at me, and there’s no way I cannot forgive you!

            Baek_65 : I’m not sure about the cute part… ^ v ^

            HapV92 : Please, it’s been such a long time since we’ve started to be friends, I know almost everything about you!

            Baek_65 : But not how I look like.

            Baek_65 : I admit that I’m starting to be a little curious here. How about an exchange of selcas?

            HapV92 : But I look funny in pictures… You would find me weird :(

            HapV92 : Hey, if I remember correctly, we’re both in Seoul right? How about we meet up in a coffee shop or something like that? We could see each other and spend some time together.

            Baek_65 : Like a date?

            HapV92 : Whoa, that’s straightforward!

            HapV92 : Well, if you want to see it like this I guess it’s okay. But you do know I’m a guy right?

            Baek_65 : Yes, I know.

            Baek_65 : I don’t have a problem with it, if it’s what you’re wondering. One of my friends is gay and I think I could go for it too.

            HapV92 : That’s a relief!

            A few others minutes were spent in the details of the future date such as the meeting place and how they would recognize each other. Baekhyun finally closed his laptop, took a look at his phone that now displayed 0:58am and decided to sleep, a smile never leaving his face. He was finally peaceful.

 

X X X X X X X X X X X X

 

            Another usual day at school started for Luhan on this Thursday morning. He woke up minutes after his alarm rang, rushed in his house in order to be ready in time and sped down the sidewalk thinking he was late to his classes. In the end he arrived at the gate a few minutes before the bell rang. He stopped for a few seconds, taking back his breath and he put on a small smile, walking inside. He wordlessly made his way to his locker to get his stuff for today's classes. As he opened his locker, a petite girl went next to him and opened her own.

            "Sumin!" a girl shouted in a high-pitched voice and she ran towards her friend. Luhan looked at the 2 girls standing next to him who were immediately talking with hushed whispers after they greeted each other. It smelled gossip. He withdrew his eyes from the scene and willed his mind to be concentrated on his books still in his locker. The task at hand was hard, Luhan knew it, gossip was one of his favorite ways to spend his time. He couldn't help himself but to overhear their conversation when they giggled loudly.

            "I swear! Jaena sent me this text yesterday"

            "Jaena? You know she's always into gossip, why should it be true? Are you naïve now, Boeun?" Sumin asked, feeling less interested about the topic now that she knew from who it came.

            "I’m not! It’s real, he confirmed it! Look at the message!" the other girl, Boeun, answered, showing her phone in front of her friend's face.

            'Okay Luhan, you can do it! Be discreet, just a glance' he encouraged himself. He turned his head a little bit on the side and kept a stoical expression until he glanced at the screen. His eyes widened when he read what was on it.

 

Forward conversation to : Boeun

'Oppa~!'

'Hey Jaena.'

'Can I ask you a question?'

'Go ahead...'

'Is it true that you have a crush on someone? Is she a girl of our school?'

'Um... Yes and no.'

'Yes and no for which?'

'Yes, I do have a crush and no, it's not a girl of our school.’

 ‘I won't tell you more.'

'Who is it then? Do we know her?'

'Oppa?'

'Jongdae-oppa, did you left me alone?'

'Oppa!'

 

            'This is gold!' Luhan thought to himself, a grin slowly appearing on his features. He quickly looked back at his locker trying to keep on a straight expression and stuffed his bag with books. He closed his locker and made his way to his best friend’s one.

            “Minnie!” he exclaimed when he recognized his friend leaning against his locker, spacing out. Said boy raised his head and turned to look at the overly-excited looking Luhan.

            “Why are you smiling like that?” Minseok asked with a confused look etched upon his face.

            “Like what?”

            “Like a five year old who ate too much cupcakes and is on a sugar rush” he answered immediately, looking straight at his friend.

           “It’s because I’ve heard something interesting!” the auburn haired boy said, clapping his hands in enthusiasm. “Won’t you ask what it is about?” he added and pouted slightly.

            Minseok sighed. “What made you in this state? A rumor again?”

            “Yes! I’m sure everybody will talk about it for weeks at least!”

            “And what it is ab-” the older male was interrupted by the bell signaling that they should head to class.

            “Never mind, I’ll tell you at lunch. Come on, I’ve heard that today’s lecture would be somewhat amusing!” Luhan said, bouncing happily to his classes of the morning.

            “Aish, this kid… Any gossip can keep him entertained for a long time” muttered Minseok as he followed the younger to their classroom.

 

X X X X X X X X X X X X

 

            “So, the rumor I wanted to tell you…” started Luhan as he, Minseok, Zitao and Kyungsoo were seated in the crowded cafeteria. He leaned on the table and whispered “Kim Jongdae has a crush on somebody!”

            “No way!” Zitao replied, showing his interest on this new piece of information. He was, however, the only one curious about this news since Kyungsoo was still eating silently feigning to not hear this conversation and Minseok was judging Luhan.

            “Is that what got you so excited the whole day?” he wondered, crossing his arms across his chest. “A rumor like this one as there is dozen every year?” his eyebrows raised.

            “But it is true, he confirmed it” the second oldest whined. “For once, I thought I would let you know.”

            “Hyung, you know we both aren’t as interested as you in rumors,” Kyungsoo stepped in. “you don’t need to sulk over it. Zitao seems to be curious, you can talk with him or with Baekhyun when he’ll arrive.”

            “Someone said my name?” Baekhyun questioned, a few meters away from their table.

            “Baek! Did you know that Jongdae has a crush?” Luhan shouted to the brunette coming their way with Yixing while Minseok was face-palming, muttering “Why did he even bothered to whisper it earlier if it’s to  shout it now…”

            “Oh, really? Well, I have bigger news!” Baekhyun answered as he took a seat at their table. “I got a date on Saturday!” he said, beaming.

            “What?!” Luhan shrieked before he put his hand over his mouth when he realized how loud he was. “How? When? I want to know everything!”

            “Calm down Luhan hyung” Zitao laughed at his agitated hyung. “It isn’t his first time, is it?”

            “It is!” he exclaimed. “So much is happening today! I don’t think I can handle more news!”

            “Oh? Too bad…” mumbled Zitao. Luhan went back to interrogate Baekhyun and the others seemed as eager of answers as him, trying to know every single detail about this person.

            Kyungsoo elbowed the dark haired boy discreetly so the others wouldn’t see their interaction and whispered “Why?”

            “I finally decided the club I would go to, but I’m afraid that you guys won’t like it…” he answered in the same ushered tone.

            “Why wouldn’t we like it? If it’s something you like to do, we won’t be against it.”

            “Even if Kris is in this club?” Zitao questioned. Kyungsoo looked at Zitao with eyes bigger than usual. “I really like basketball…” the Chinese boy looked down at his lap and played with his fingers, waiting for the older to respond as an uncomfortable silence settled between the two (even if Luhan’s voice could serves as a distraction).

            “Um… If you really like to play to basketball, go ahead, just be careful and don’t get in trouble by coming near Kris.” He answered after a few seconds.

            Zitao raised his head and looked at Kyungsoo with shining eyes before hugging him tight “Thanks hyung!” He released him and continued “I was afraid you would be against the idea, thank you so much! Don’t worry I won’t force you to come and cheer for me on games” he finished with a smile.

            “Don’t think like that, if it’s for our maknae then we’ll come!” assured Kyungsoo. He passed an arm around the younger’s shoulder and smiled at him. “Let’s go and eat or we’ll be late for the afternoon’s classes, especially if the tattletale here won’t stop soon” he said and looked at Luhan who was still chatting energetically with a grin.

X X X X X X X X X X X X

 

            Finally. The hour Kyungsoo looked forward to every week started. The cooking club was all around the room, gathering ingredients necessary for the recipe from different tables. Today’s theme was “appetizers”, something relatively easy in a short time. Kyungsoo entered in his ‘cooking mode’, a little world where the only thing important is cooking and wondering if his friends will love his news recipes. He forgot everything that happened earlier this day and concentrated on doing the best he could. He thought about making some verrines, refreshing yet simple. He made his way towards the table where vegetables were showed to them and took two peppers along with two avocados, a lemon and a few leaves of coriander. He made his way towards the fridge, retrieved soft white cheese and returned back to his table. Kyungsoo began to cook, not sparing a glance to anybody, even to Minseok who didn’t seem to appreciate the theme and looked lost.

            He was now finishing his dish, putting the ingredients with acute precision inside the verrines. Once he deemed it perfect, he glanced at the clock. 15 minutes left, he was quick. He took a look at his left where Minseok was standing. His table was a mess and Kyungsoo giggled softly. The other boy lifted his head and saw that his friend was laughing at his work. He frowned and mouthed a quick ‘Don’t look!’ and went back to finishing his own appetizers, a mascarpone mousse with orange and coffee. Kyungsoo smiled as he waited for the hour to finish.

            At the same time, in another building of the school a battle was at its height. Junmyeon and Sehun were sitting facing each other, a chess set between them. Some students had already stopped their game to watch with admiration the Kingkas’ one. They wore a blank expression, only looking at the chess set.

            “I have an idea for New Year…” Sehun suddenly spoke after he moved his knight.

            “Really? It’s in more than two months” answered Junmyeon. He moved his pawn. “Why thinking about it so early?”

            Sehun didn’t hesitate and moved his bishop. “Better to make plans beforehand. Remember that time when Chanyeol wanted to put mistletoe at the last minute and Kris came back late and met him?” he smiled.

            “Yes, I remember it clearly!” the blonde laughed. He then moved his queen and took Sehun’s knight. “What is your idea then?”

            Sehun grimaced. “Tell me why I should tell you when you just took my knight?” he asked, and moved a pawn. Junmyeon laughed.

            “So whiny!” he said, and they fell into a comfortable silence until he finally moved a rook.

            “By the way, did you hear about Jongdae’s crush? I thought they would find it sooner…” the younger questioned as he moved his queen.

            “Yeah, he wasn’t very good at hiding it” Junmyeon answered. ‘Unlike me’ he thought before he moved one of his knights.

            “Do you think he’ll be in trouble now? He’ll have girls running around asking if they are his crush…” Sehun moved his queen once again.

            “He’s a big boy, he can handle it” he responded and moved his bishop. “Checkmate.”

            “What?!” the youngest shrieked and looked with horror at the set. The students who watched their game clapped before they stopped when Sehun glared at them.

            “You still have a lot to learn Sehunnie…” Junmyeon said before the bell rang. He took his bag and made his way to the door, letting his friend frowning at the chess pieces. “Come on, I’m taking you home.” The youngest rapidly took his bag and ran after his hyung.

            “Wait! What strategy did you use this time?”

            “None. I just transformed my pent up frustration about you rarely calling me ‘hyung’ in some sort of intelligence.”

            “Ah, sorry hyung…” Sehun replied, scratching his neck sheepishly.

            “Oh, now you’re calling me hyung? You don’t want to lose another time, do you?”

“Hyung!” the brunette punched his arm lightly. “I’m being respectful here. Enjoy gramps!”

            “I should have known it wouldn’t last…” Junmyeon sighed.

 

 

--

 

 

A/N :

So here it is, finally! (go hide in a corner...). Thanks for your patience! My work experience ends this week so I'll have more time for myself as summer holidays kicks in.

Sorry it took so long, but as you can see I made a poster! I'm so proud of it ^^.

And even with everything that's happening to EXO right now, I won't stop writing Taoris nor Baekyeol nor any other pairing. Those are fanfictions, this is purely fictionnal. (And plus I'll always support them).

To end this up with a lighter mood, I hope you have as much fun as I had while I was writing this! (With a hint of a kiss from Krisyeol!)

Roseamanelle : Haha! I so love Luhan’s character. And I was very amused with the SeHo part. Been grinning the whole time I was editing this. XD