The Dinner

30 Days Marrying You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The dinner was strangely quiet. Too quiet despite Kris introducing her as his girlfriend and introducing her to his aunt, along with her husband and his grandma. No one spoke anything since then. And no one asked her anything. Just the piercing stares from the people in the dining room, watching her every move. There was nowhere to look without meeting curious eyes.

It was until later when his grandmother dropped the bomb. A bomb that would set her life into fire and danger.

“So, when are you going to get married?”

Hyoyeon almost choked on her food. She must have heard wrong. Her ears must have stopped functioning. “Married?” She repeated, glancing from Kris to his grandma.

“You two look good together. What’s wrong with getting married?” The grandma continued on, oblivious to the rush of emotion pulsing through Hyoyeon.

She was not joking. Her face was serious. In fact, Hyoyeon could not imagine a famous business owner like her was pulling a joke like that. But, this was totally not on the plan. She was supposed to pretend to be his girlfriend just for that day. No marriage considered!

 “No! I can’t!” While she spoke, she flashed another glare toward Kris, who had stopped eating, sitting motionless on his seat.

“Why not? Both of you are dating. What’s the problem?” the grandma leaned back, folding her arms across her chest.

“I can’t marry him!” Hyoyeon protested. “I… I have a problem.” She could feel she was sweating profusely.

“What problem?” Her voice cutting.

“I have this disease…” She trailed off, her eyes was searching for Kris, desperately asking for some help.

“Yeah, she has a disease. She... she…” Kris stammered for some excuse. “She has constipation!”

Then, Kris sent her a victory signal, looking proud with his excuse, as if he just saved the world from a bomb that would cause a world war, when in fact, Hyoyeon felt like killing him in the spot, right here, right now. ‘Constipation? Isn’t there any better disease other than that?’

All faces jerked up to look at her, like puppets connected to the same string. From the corner of her eyes, she could see his aunt’s lips twitched, fighting a smile and his uncle was coughing to hide his laugh. And the grandma, well, her face was unreadable.

“Constipation? Is that true, Hyoyeon?” The grandma asked for confirmation.

Hyoyeon was trying to think straight but her head went blank. Maybe it was better to go with the flow. “Right! I have constipation!”

Hyoyeon sent a murderous glare to Kris but he was barely aware of it that she started to feel irritated. And she was tired too. Was she the only one who concerned about the whole development?

“Constipation? It is not serious, right?” Then, she turned to the uncle and said, “You are a doctor. You should know better about this.”

‘A doctor?’ Hyoyeon’s eyes was twinkling with some hope that he would not agree to the marriage. After all, this discussion about marriage was absolutely nonsense!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter