His True Feeling

30 Days Marrying You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

That night flew by dreamlessly and then it was morning when Hyoyeon heard the door clicked open.

“Kris?” Hyoyeon’s voice was barely a whisper.

Indeed, it was Kris, sitting with his hands cupping his face on the sofa. He looked up as Hyoyeon said his name but said nothing as she approached him.

Hyoyeon’s heart had begun to pound. The silence felt still, almost oppressive. Kris’ eyes followed her as she reached the armrest of the sofa and stopped there, her hands tightly clutching the leather frame. She studied his face, doubting. To love is to lose. That was last thing he’d said to her before he left.

She inched closer to sit down on the sofa next to him, partly so that they would be on the same level and partly to disguise the fact that her knees were shaking. “Kris, where have you been?”

“Just here and there…” Kris answered vaguely.

She could tell that there were secrets at the back of his light eyes, could feel his hesitation. She wanted to reach her hand out, but she kept herself still, kept her voice steady.

“You weren’t home last night. And the night before…” she trailed off but he was silent. “Kris?”

She touched his arm but pulled back immediately as if the touch burned her. “Hey, your body is hot. Do you have a fever?” Concern coloured her voice.

“I don’t know. But when I want to sleep last night, somehow my head felt arghhhhh heavy. And when I woke up this morning, my body was waahhhhh hot. And when I tried to walk, I felt gaaahhhhh dizzy. But, then I thought whooosssshhhh I would be okay later.”

Kris closed his eyes. He had been feeling unwell since yesterday. Maybe it was because he was out in the cold with only his shirt on for the whole day yesterday. Maybe it was because he had been thinking too much. He didn’t know. The only thing he knew was that he was so badly in need to lie down.

He could feel a gentle hand touched his forehead. “The dramatic sounds are strange. This is bad. Totally bad. You are really sick,” Hyoyeon said, now forgetting their hostility.

“I’ve got to go to work.” Kris tried to stand up but he was staggering.

“Hey, mister! You are a sick person. You’ve got to rest properly.” Hyoyeon supported his body and led him to the bedroom, to the bed. For a moment, Kris seemed to comply obediently as she laid him down on the bed.

“But I’ve work.” He sat up straight but Hyoyeon pushed him down on the bed again.

“No! Lie down! You are a sick person!”

Kris cringed in pain as he was forcefully pushed. “Then, why are you pushing me? Shouldn’t you treat me properly? Ain’t I a sick person?”

“Opsss, sorry,” Hyoyeon apologized, realizing her mistake. “Oh, right! I thought I saw some Brazil nuts in the cabinet. I heard it is good to boost your immunity.”

“But, I’m allergic to nuts.” Kris tried to grab her hand, but Hyoyeon already went off to the kitchen, missing the important fact. And when she came back bringing the Brazil nuts with her, reaching her hand to feed him, he couldn’t refuse it.

 

At first, Kris was conscious of nothing. Then there was darkness, and within the darkness, a burning pain. It was as if he’d swallowed fire, and it choked him and burned his throat. He gasped desperately for air, for a breath that could cool the fire, and his eyes flew open.

“Huh?”

He was on a boat, rocking through the water. He could see an old grandpa rowing the boat in front of him. He was wearing a straw hat and humming an old song cheerfully.

“Excuse me. Where are we going?” He called out to him.

The old man turned around and smiled. “Your next life.”

“My next life?” His mind was still blurry that he couldn’t comprehend the true meaning of the words.

“Your parents are even on the opposite shore.” The old man pointed out ahead. Kris could see two figures waving their hands towards him on the opposite sides.

He immediately recognized the figures. ‘My parents!’

“Everyone is waiting. So why don’t you hurry and pass on?”

Kris smiled. The idea of meeting his parents was so overwhelming. He really missed them so much. “Thank you.”

But, suddenly something struck his mind. “Hey, my parents are already died. Are you implying that I’m also dying here? No! I don’t want to die yet. Take me back to my present life!”

“I can’t. The boat that has begun rowing can only move forward,” the old man said mercilessly.

“NOOO!” Kris shouted. “At least send me to my past life!”

“You are talking even less sense,” said the old man, unfazed.

“Then I’m gonna swim back!” Kris set his jaw. He wasn’t ready to die now. Not yet.

“Hey, wait!”

“Arghhhhhh!”

There were screaming and kicking and struggling before it all settled down.

 

 

Kris gasped and his eyes flew open.

“Kris! You are awake!” He heard a familiar male voice and knew who it was even before he saw the face.

“Luhan?” Kris looked up at Luhan’s anxious black eyes.

“I’m so glad! I thought you might have died from your cold,” Luhan said hastily.

“What happened? Why are you here?” His head was still dizzy and when he tried to sit up straight, he could feel the heaviness of his body.

“Hyoyeon called me. She said you have a fever. So, she gave you some Brazil nuts. But, after that you fainted,” Luhan explained as briefly as he could.

Kris’ eyes widened. “That’s right! I saw the river styx!”

Kris remembered now. He had a fever and a cold. What did he expect? After the argument with Hyoyeon that night, he went out without even taking his jacket. He walked, following where his legs would take him. Before he knew it, he was at Han River. So, he decided to spend his day away from home to clear his mind and to think. But, the cold weather must have taken its toll on his body. On his way home, he felt feverish. Now, it seemed the Brazil nuts given by Hyoyeon finished him off.

“Yeah, you are sick. You are probably seeing things.”

Kris knew it was no use telling Luhan his short visit crossing the river styx. He cast about for something else to say. “By the way, where is Hyoyeon?” Kris asked as he didn’t see Hyoyeon around.

Luhan shrugged. “I don’t know. She told me to come but she wasn’t here when I arrived.”

A lot of things were running in Kris’ mind. He thought of the look on Hyoyeon’s face as he came home this morning, and then of her cautious movement as if she was afraid to touch him. There was a knot of dread inside his chest and he immediately knew the answer. He was scared that she would be scared off by his confession.

He closed his eyes, trying to push the thought away from his head. His head was heavy enough to be burdened with more crazy thought.

“So, how did you get in? Aren’t the door locked?” He asked randomly just to get his mind off the thinking.

“Like I don’t know your password. By the way, when I arrived, the door was left open. Maybe Hyoyeon forgot to lock it when she left.”

Kris’ face changed. He already knew Luhan knew his password.  Yet, to know Hyoyeon left the door open was shocking. ‘Hyoyeon, what is going on with your sense of security?’

“Speaking of which, remind me to change my password. I can’t have you coming over every time you want,” Kris said.

“You can’t do that. By the way, there is chicken soup in the kitchen. Wait a minute. I’ll go get it.”

Before Kris could say anything, Luhan disappeared into the kitchen and came in a moment later with a bowl.

“Are you the one cooking it?” Kris’ eyes widened in terror at the mere thought of it.

Luhan blinked. “Yes.”

“Then, I don’t want to eat it.”

“What are you saying? Don’t you know, hot chicken soup raises the temperature in your nose and throat, creating an inhospitable environment for viruses that prefer cooler, drier climes. Next, just like a hot, steamy shower, hot, steamy soup thins out mucus so you can more easily blow it out. According to a laboratory study, the soup inhibits white blood cells called neutrophils that are released in huge numbers when you have a cold. It's the congregation of these white cells that causes a cold's hallmark congestion.”

Luhan finished his speech with satisfied look. It was as if he was trying to coax people into voting him for the election. To see Luhan acting all wise and clever was even scarier.

“If you knew how to cook, maybe it would work out fine,” Kris muttered.

Luhan froze, the bowl poised dangerously on top of Kris’ lap. “What did you say?”

Kris cleared his throat. “I said, is there anything else to eat?”

 “I make herb soup too. Which one do you want?”

Kris let out a sigh. Herb soup sounded more hideous.  Finally, “Chicken soup,” Kris said defeatedly. Anyway, what could have gone wrong with chicken? Chicken would always taste good no matter what you did to it, right?

Luhan passed him the bowl full of soup. Kris stared down at the bowl and wondered what exactly dark brown colour chicken soup, studded with floating green things tasted like.

“Eat it. I assure you, it is to die for,” Luhan said, feeling confident with his cooking this time.

Luhan was right. It was to die for. Literally. And sure enough, later Kris found himself riding the same boat with the same old ferryman again.

“It’s you. Again.” The old man emphasised the word ‘again’. Yeah, this made the second visit just in one day.

“No. I wasn’t planning to. But, I was forced to eat the soup from hell. Just what had he done to the poor chicken?” Kris heaved a deep sigh. His head was hung low.

“Why don’t you pass on to your next life? Quickly now,” the old man said, in a flat and emotionless voice.

Kris’ head jerked up. “No way! To leave for my next life due to a mere cold and fever is unheard of.”

The old man smiled at him without amusement. “Speaking of cold, you are pitiful too, yes? Aren’t there a hot, pretty woman to loyally nurse you when you are this sick?”

“Wha… what the heck! I do have someone. And she is my wife!” Kris glared at him.

“Oh, the one who knocked you down with that Brazil nuts was your wife? Truly, you are pitiful,” the old man said, with the faintest trace of a smile.

Kris’ shoulders tightened, but when he spoke, he sounded more upset than angry. “She just didn’t know I’m allergic to it!”

“So, where is she now?” The old man asked.

Kris hesitated. “I don’t know. Luhan said she went somewhere.”

“And with the door left opened.”

“How did you know all the little details? Are you a stalker?” Kris cast a suspicious look at the old man.

“Hohoho…” There was a hidden glee in the old man’s laugh that annoyed Kris.

“Maybe she was too hurried that she forgot to lock it. But, she will come back. She will come back with that bright smile of hers. Because she is my wife,” Kris said, trying to make some excuses. Frankly, he doubted it too. And the words he said were only to assure himself.

“If she is your wife, she shouldn’t have left in the first place, right? She should stay by your side always, right?”

The question stabbed him in the heart.

“Maybe, there was something important to do that she had to leave no matter what.” He tried to sound confident but his voice wavered at the end.

“If she is your wife, shouldn’t you be the most important to her?” Again, Kris felt another knife stabbed his heart at the same wound. “It seems like she doesn’t love you enough to make you her first priority.” The old man stopped at nothing to torture his feeling.

“No… you are wrong,” Kris denied but his voice didn’t seem convincing enough.

“Perhaps, you are the only one who is in love.”

“Then, take me back! I’m sure when I wake up, she would come back already!”

The old man ignored

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter