First Night

30 Days Marrying You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I know it! Your grandma was just faking her sickness!” Hyoyeon exclaimed as soon as she was left alone with Kris in the huge bedroom.

Their wedding ceremony was over. It was almost amazing how quick the ceremony was. Now, they were resting at a luxurious hotel near the Han River. The grandma already booked a honeymoon suite for them for their first night.

“What make you think so?” Kris asked as he threw himself down onto the bed and looked up to Hyoyeon. A flicker of surprise crossed his face.

“Because,” Hyoyeon said impatiently, “Can’t you see how well and healthy she was during the ceremony? She could even stand up on her own two feet while greeting the other guests!” Her voice raised an octave.

“Wait a second,” Kris stood up from the bed and stepped closer to Hyoyeon who was standing at the end of the bed. “You are not suggesting this whole wedding was just a façade, are you?” He demanded in disbelief.

Hyoyeon shook her head. “I can’t believe you. All of these seemingly smooth flow, all of those carefully prepared ceremony... Do you think a normal wedding would be as easy as this?” She started to turn away. “Your grandma planned this. That’s exactly what I am suggesting right now.”

Kris caught her arm, spinning her back around. “But you saw her condition at the dinner, right?”

Hyoyeon looked pointedly at Kris’ hand where it clamped her upper arm. “Conveniently, your grandma fell sick. Conveniently, the wedding preparations were ready. It is no coincidence!”

Kris didn’t let go. “Those couldn’t be a lie. She looked totally in pain. I can’t think that she was only acting up.”

“Then, she could be a damn good actress!” Hyoyeon retorted.

Kris exhaled slowly, reluctantly, and let go his grip on Hyoyeon’s arm. “Think whatever you want to think,” he said, his voice low. “In that very moment, I was only thinking about her health. It’s true she has some health problem. That’s why, I want to please my grandma for as long as she lives.”

As he said those, something about the look on his face was making Hyoyeon increasingly touched. However, she brushed it aside. Her heart wasn’t really into this marriage. Kris wanted to make his grandma happy. So what? She had to sacrifice her own happiness?

“30 days.” Hyoyeon said suddenly.

Kris was caught off guard. “What 30 days?”

“30 days, Kris. 30 days,” Hyoyeon said again. “That’s the limit I can stay married to you.” She diverted her eyes from looking at his face as she said those lines.

They fell into dead silent. There she was. Making her own decision and putting a time-limit into their marriage. Kris realized he should not force her out of her decision. In fact, he should be grateful that Hyoyeon went obediently all through the ceremony. He couldn’t ask for more.

His eyes wandered outside the window. Through the opened curtains, the view of dark, black, moonless night fed his eyes. Would it be the fate of their marriage too?

“Then, 30 days.” Kris broke the silent. “I promise you, we are going to stay married for only 30 days.”

Though his tone was calm, something flashed across his face as he spoke – an expression Hyoyeon couldn’t pin down. It was gone in a moment as Kris smiled and gestured towards the king-sized bed while wrapping his arm around Hyoyeon’s shoulder.

“Now, why don’t we take a rest? I see that you are tired. I am tired. We are both tired. That’s why we are on a bad mood.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter