worlds apart

Boy prince

Dongho's POV

After we were finished cleaning up we headed downstairs to spend time with every one else to not look suspicious but I felt Kris' eyes on me the whole time. It's like he knows every time Soohyun touches me. Ha Mi, who is at my side, gives me and encouraging squeaze on the arm she is holding. Having her by my side some how makes me feel more comfortable it's almost hard to explain, maybe because her and I have so much in common.

As the adults get into a heated discussion Ha Mi raises her lips up to my ear to whisper, "I made sure to keep my brother busy, he was looking for you but I distracted him." I turn to thank her silently and she smiles widely at me. "Ani, if we're going to be forced into this marriage I want us to at least be happy, if Soohyunssi makes you happy we can't let our fathers find out they will make him disappear." She winks at me.

Having a fiancee like Ha Mi is almost too perfect, I couldn't have been luckier. I really feel as though she is a friend. I kiss her forehead forgetting that there was other people present. As soon as my lips leave her skin I feel everyone staring at me. "Ah I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I say as I stand up to apologize.

I hear her father clear his throat, "I'm happy to see you two getting along so well but please hold it in until the wedding." He says. "Yes Sir." I say and look over at Soohyun, his expression is unreadable but I half expected that from him. The rest of the night was spent having secret conversations and watching Soohyun from afar. I hated now that they are here that I can't be close to him like before without the fear of someone misinterpretating it, especially Kris.

Even though he was so close to me that I could reach out and touch him he felt out of my reach like we were on seperate worlds. I wondered if this would change some day when I am able to leave my home with Ha Mi will Soohyun follow us, will Kris still be our problem, and will I ever be able to set comfortably with him on the couch like I am with Ha Mi.

No more hiding, no more rushing I want to be able to spend our time together without constant anxiety. My frustration must have been showing on my face because Ha Mi shakes my arm. "Donghossi, my brother was talking to you." She says to me. "Ah sorry hyungnim what is it that you were saying to me?"

"I was saying with the way you are treating my precious little sister maybe it would be safer to marry you two sooner." He says smirking but I think our fathers took it as a serious suggestion because they both begin to talk.

"You're right, we've both blessed this wedding why even wait for them to come to age? Besides Your wedding was set to be on your nineteenth birthday so that you would be of legal age and Ha Mi will already be an adult since she is a month older than you so I don't see the problem if we do it sooner?" The two fathers discuss back and forth.

"Father, I think Hyungnim was just kidding, there isn't really any reason to rush something that is working out so well." I say giving them both a smile.

"Hmm maybe you are right, maybe if you guys were fighting we would be in a hurry." My father says. The two of them get carried away in another conversation and I manage to sneak away. It's been so long since this house has been this loud.

I escape back to my side of the mansion and look out one of the many wide windows. I could never see the stars properly from here and I always dreamt of seeing them from a clearer sky. A reflection joins me in the mirror and it wraps his arms around me, resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Soohyun, not here we could get caught." I protest weakly.

"Shh, just for a moment let's pretend to be normal." He says sweetly.

So I listen and just stand there holding onto his hands as we stared out the window. "What are you thinking about?" He asks. "The sky. I want to go somewhere someday with you where it's clear enough to see a million stars in the sky. Somewhere so far away from the city that it feels like we are the only two people alive." I say as I day dream about it.

"I'll take you there someday, I promise." He whispers in my ear.

"I love you, Soohyun." I say with as much feeling as I can.

"I love you too, but why all of a sudden?"

"Why not? If not now, when? I feel like we become more and more seperated the longer they are here. I feel like someday I wont ever see you again. You will just have disappeared. So I want to tell you now when I can."

"Donghossi?" I jump at the sound of that voice.

"H-Ha Mi what are you doing here?" I stutter as I push myself away from Soohyun instictively.

"My brother is getting suspicious again, he's asking for you and has made the adults aware that you are gone even my mother has noticed and she is always quiet. I just thought you should know, please be carefull you two." She says before leaving us.

"Well we should go then." Soohyun says and kisses me softly on the lips.

I didn't want to go but I did anyways knowing that it was for the best. We go our seperate ways and I go in the direction I last saw Ha Mi. I wanted to talk with her about what she had meant that time. Could I be right that she loves her own brother? I notice one of the doors in the hallway is cracked open and a little light shines out from it.

Curious I walk closer to it quietly and peek inside. It's Kris and Ha Mi. He looks worried and she, distressed, upset? Maybe they have been arguing. Ha Mi finally speaks, "I just want you to pay attention to me like you do to Donghossi. I'm your real family after all, why do you not treat me as important!"

I wanted to tell her that he does, that he thinks of her as a princess and that he cared about her feelings but I didn't want them to know I was listening in on their conversation even if it was by complete accident. So instead of leaving I stayed since I had already heard this much. Kris goes to reach out for her but I can see his hesitation.

His face was full of twisted feelings that I couldn't quite read. "Meimei you know your very special to me...let's, let's just go now it's getting late you should say good night to mother before she goes to sleep." Kris goes to rest his hand on her but she pushes it away.

"You don't get it do you, you still don't get it!" She raises her voice at him and Kris looks at her with a hurt expression. He's hurting too, does he know what she means?

"Meimei..."

"How many more hints do I have to throw at you before you get it or are you choosing to play dumb? What are your feelings for me! I wont leave until you tell me. I'm going to be married soon and you'll go back to China. I want to know what you are truly feeling even if it hurts me!" She starts to cry and I know I shouldn't be hearing this, I shouldn't be intruding on such a personal conversation.

But I couldn't leave; I had to know what his answer was. Even though I love Soohyun and I want Ha Mi to be happy, I also wanted to know if what Kris felt for me was just a fleeting crush and that he really loved Ha Mi or is he going to break her heart and continue to persue me. I desperately wanted it to be the first but part of me felt sick just thinking about it being the second thought because all my regret and betrayal to Soohyun would be for nothing.

"Meimei you know I can't give you the answer you want." He starts.

"Why, I don't care if it hurts me just tell me!" She pleads.

"But if I do then I'm acknowledging that it's real." He says and I see him bite down on his lip like he had said too much.

"That what is real?" She says quietly as she slowly approaches him.

"My feelings for you." He says and Ha Mi reaches her hands up to cup his face. Her thumbs move to whipe away tears.

"You're really cruel how could you keep such an important secret from me?" She says sweetly.

He grabs her wrists and gently pulls them away from his face. "Please don't do this, you're making this really hard for me. I've tried really hard to bury these feelings deep inside."

"Then don't." She raises up and kisses him. I cover my mouth to keep quiet. I should go! I think to myself but I continue to wait for Kris' reaction. He doesn't do anything at first but as sudden as turning a light on he hungrily kisses her back. Not wanting to see anymore I run down the hallway not looking back until I am safe in my own room.