Once upon a time...

Boy prince

     I was born here in the mansion in the middle of the coldest recorded winter in Seoul. All the trees were dead and everything was blanketed in snow. It was night and everything was dark because the power had went out. My mother was not able to make it to the hospital to birth me because the snow had trapped them in and no one was able to leave the mansion. It was a difficult birth and because of that she passed away that night in her sleep. Eighteen years later and I still have not left this place. Father said I was born ill and that leaving this place would make me ill and even could kill me. Everything I've ever needed has been here. Teachers, doctors, "friends" they have all come to me. They enter and leave but I never do. I had tried to leave once all I remember was passing out and waking up in bed with my father hovering over me worriedly. He scolded me as he held me tightly and I never tried to leave again.

     He tried to make my life as comfortable as possible by giving me all the things a normal child had the best he could within these walls. I had the best education and was fluent in languages such as Latin, English, and Japanese by the age of 16. Once when I was a young child my father held a birthday party for me at our home. Most of the attendees were the children of business partners they were practically strangers to me. Many didn't know who I was or cared to know. I was just a shadow walking among them as they ran around to play at the many attractions set up in our castle-like mansion. There were clowns, magicians, face painters, and fortunetellers. One in particular stood out more among the carnival people maybe becuase she was a foreigner I do not know the reason why. I approached her and she took my hand immediately as I sat down.

     She gasped and looked at me saying "You poor poor child...for someone to have done this to you, so cruel...this burden." That was the only english I could understand from her the rest of it was beyond my level at the time. She was quiet again but only for a short while and in clear korean she told me, " You are going to die before the end of your final year as a minor, that boy will kill you." She pointed her finger sharply at one of the few teenagers at the party. He was smiling at my father as they were discussing something with who I assumed was his father. Frightened I ran to the only place I felt safe, my mothers room. I could hear my father calling me but I never looked back. After that I asked never to have another birthday party in fear that he might come back to kill me. My father thought it was nonesense and even though I did not have anymore parties he still insisted that I make friends with "future business parteners."

      So I had friends...for a while that is until I had an accident with a jealous son of one of my fathers many business associates. I  was only 13, eight years after my fateful birthday party the boy had been bullying me it had been going on for a while but I had never told my father in fear that he would never let anyone come over again. Which is exactly what he did. First it started with the verbal attacks. He called me a "pretty" boy, spoiled prince, a fragile "flower". I was hurt by these sudden outbursts but never spoke up to him. Finally he cracked one day it was spring he pushed me through the double french doors into the garden and locked me out. I heard him from the other side telling me to "just die." I panicked as I felt my self growing cold and weak. I don't know what happen next but when  I woke again I heard my father talking to the staff, he said to them, "No one is to ever come near my boy again." And they never did.

     My father had company of course but they were never allowed to enter the west wing of our home, that is where my father had kept me locked away with only my nanny and tutor to see. No one else was permitted. "Until you are a man." He would say to me, only then would my body be strong enough to leave this place. My father was my only company for hollidays and birthdays and eventually I didn't even want that anymore and would just stay hidden away in my room. I didn't want anything until it was near my fifteenth birthday. I saw my father walking in the garden laughing with his friend and his son. I wanted to laugh too with them. That mans smile was contagious I smiled when he smiled as they walked through the garden even though I had no idea what they were laughing about. I wanted to know him. When they disappeared out of my sight I panicked as though I would never see him again. And I cried for the first time in years.

     My nanny found me asleep by the window and woke me. My eyes were sore and puffy from crying so she helped me to get ready. "What are you getting ready for?" She had asked me. "I want to have dinner with father tonight. I have something important to ask him." She looked at me surprised." And what is that?" She asked me. "That man, fathers friends son, do you know him?" I asked her. "I know of his name and I know that he is a very polite gentlemen when he comes to visit your father, in fact him and his father brought you a gift today it is to be given to you for your birthday." She told me, "His name is Shin Soohyun." I repeated his name on my tongue. I quickly finished getting ready and met my father for dinner. He was just as surprised as my nanny. He hugged me before we seated and asked me why I had suddenly changed my mind. "I want a friend." I said bluntly. He picked up his glass and sipped it. "You know that isn't possible." He said not looking at me. "Shin Soohyun." I said. He looked at me shocked. "How do you know him?" He sounded concerned. " I don't, I saw him walking in the garden with you earlier so I asked Nan who he was." I answered.

     He didn't say anything for a while. "He is a nice young man, and maybe the only person I could trust you to, but unfortunetley son he is leaving to study abroad he won't be back for at least 3 years." He told me. I was crushed. "Three years!" I almost shouted. But I need to meet him now. I thought to myself. As if my father could read my mind he said, "I could try to arrange for you two to meet before he leaves but it might be too late. He is a very busy young man." I became so anxious, "Yes father please." I said to him. "Oh and here are the gifts they had brought you, it's not your birthday yet but now you can thank him when you two meet." I took them to my room quickly after dinner and opened his gift first. There was an envelope with my name written on it beautifully and underneath it was a beautiful heather gray chashere sweater. I quickly put it on and it fit perfectly with the neck of the sweater slightly loose, only showing a little skin of my chest. It was the finest chashmere I had ever felt. I opened the envelope and inside was a letter with only 7 words. "A gift fit for only a prince."

If anyone else had called me that I would have been angry, but I smiled and fell onto my bed not even bothering to open his fathers gift.

I apologize that this chapter is terribly slow, I promise that things will speed up by next chapter. Thank you!