Chapter 4

Canis Lupus Signatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3

 

Kai slept in his wolf form, a big black wolf laying at the very beginning of his den, as to protect the mate and cubs he had inside. The wolf sniffed softly, then snorted and woke up in full alert.

There were teeth biting and pulling on his ear tenderly, trying to wake him up. He opened just one eye to see Kyungsoo by his side and his five cubs laying by the back of the cave. The wolf frowned. He knew it was no enemy, since the bite was very gentle.

Usually it was Kyung In who bit his ear in the morning, but if the cub was sleeping among his brothers, who was behind him?

He felt a soft paw landing on his neck, a paw covered in pure white fur. He turned into a human, rubbing his eyes.

-Jonghun… - He murmured sleepily.  – What time is it?

He asked, glancing outside. The white cub turned into a boy, who sat on the ground with his legs crossed and a huge smile on his lips.

-Time to go to the lake.  – He said sweetly. – Come on, you promised me.

-I did, didn’t I? – Kai asked, sitting down and stretching his arms. He did talk to Luhan the day before and he warned Kyungsoo he would leave early. He planned to go get his son in Luhan’s den and wake him up playfully so they could go to the lake together, but he felt so tired after working in the three days of the party that he ended up sleeping in.

He shook his head, thinking of a way to make it up to Jonghun. Since the boy lived in another den, Kai was always afraid he would get distant from Jonghun and he wanted to make all the days he spent with his first born especial.

He quickly got to his feet and poked the boy.

-Let’s go. – He called, already stepping into the dark morning outside.

-With no clothes on?  - Jonghun followed him, glancing around nervously. If Luhan or Kyungsoo saw them leaving the village like that, they would get scolded.

-You like it this way, don’t you? Like the wolves in the north do? – The man smiled cunningly and the boy gave him an excited nod.

-Then let’s go. Last one to get to the lake is a fur ball.

He said and immediately turned into a wolf again. Jonghun gasped and was quick to follow his father and run into the woods after him.

Even if Kai started ahead, Jonghun was able to catch up with him and then leave him behind. Kai ran even faster but the truth was he was getting older, plus Jonghun had inherited Luhan’s speed, and Luhan was known to be the fastest wolf in their pack.

When Kai arrived at the rocks, Jonghun was already splashing water as he fell into the lake. He turned into a boy, pulling his soaked hair away from his eyes, and smiled at the black wolf panting by the shore.

-You are a fur ball. – He told him, shaking his shoulders cutely. – A big black fur ball.

Kai turned into a man and gave him a playful snort.

-Alright, you won this time. – He pointed a finger at the boy. – But next time I won’t be so merciful on you.

He said and Jonghun chuckled, knowing there was no way his father could beat him in a race.

Kai sat on the rocks by the side, giving Jonghun some room to swim and enjoy the lake on his own. The boy couldn’t go there by himself because Luhan wouldn’t allow him to, but that wasn’t a reason for Kai to ruin Jonghun’s ideal morning. He knew what the boy wanted was to watch the sunrise on his own.

It was time for the sun to come already and the day was getting just a bit brighter now.

-Daddy, look at the water! – Jonghun pointed to the way the first sun rays reflected on the lake and Kai smiled.

-It is beautiful, isn’t it?

-So much… - Jonghun said, his dark eyes shining happily and reflecting the light as well.

That magical looking moment passed fast, however, and soon Jonghun was inviting Kai into the lake, so they could swim together. They played a lot and splashed water everywhere and when other wolves came to join them, Jonghun was getting tired already.

Kyungsoo brought the rest of Kai’s sons and Chen brought his twins, Daeryong and Soryong. Baekyeol came with his parents as well and, as Jonghun predicted, the cubs started to make a whole mess in the place.

-Daddy! – Dai and Kyung In threw themselves into the water and Kai grabbed them, chuckling.  Kyung Ai followed his brothers, swimming like a wolf pup and Kaisoo was checking a bit of moss stuck on the rock he was sitting in.

Meanwhile Xiumin and Chen helped Daeryong and Soryong getting into the water and Kai called them to the middle of the lake. He and Jonghun were optimizing a way of throwing the cubs from one side to the other the highest they could. It sounded like something dangerous, but it was actually a thing all the boys enjoyed very much, and Kyung In was the first Kai grabbed and threw into the air.

The boy fell in the water with a yelp of joy and emerged giggling.

-Again! – He claimed, but Kai shook his head.

-Wait for your turn. – He told his pup and pointed to the end of the line.

Kyung In swam there with a pout, waiting until all the others had their turn. Suddenly, a scream called their attention.

-DAD! Baekyeol won’t let go of my clothes! – They turned around to see Jongsoo trying to pull away as the younger pup snarled, biting on the hem of his pants harshly.

The boy shoved Baekyeol away and ran, but the pup only jumped after him, yapping and snarling playfully.

Jongsoo jumped in the lake, but Baekyeol didn’t know how to swim yet, so he didn’t jump after him. The pup stayed by the shore, whining softly and Jongsoo showed him his tongue before swimming away. He asked his hyung to pick him up, but when Jonghun turned to do so, he saw the only blonde brother he had by the side. Sehlu was over a rock, which made him look the same size as Jonghun, the water hitting him by the waist.

-Daddies came to pick you up. – The boy said and Jonghun smiled at him.

-And you came to bathe?

-No, I’m clean. – The boy said with a pout. - They told me to call you and I didn’t want to scream.

-Aw, come on Sehlu, get in here! – Jonghun tried to grasp him, but Sehlu yelped and ran outside the fastest he could.

Jonghun shook his head, smiling to himself. He could never really understand that one little brother of his. They had a couple of similarities, but the boys couldn't be more different. Jonghun enjoyed the heat of the sun in his skin while Sehlu was fascinated by the beauty of the moon. Jonghun was talkative and ready to any new adventures while Sehlu was calm and very quiet most of the time, never really engaging in physical activities with the other cubs.

Summarizing, Jonghun took after Kai and Sehlu after Sehun, and both had a little of Luhan in them.

Jonghun followed Sehlu outside, shaking his body lightly to make the water drop and dry his skin faster.

He met his parents sitting by the feet of a tree, both drying themselves with towels and he frowned. He was so into his games that he didn’t even see his parents bathing.

-Where is Kai? – Sehun asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter