Chapter 10

Canis Lupus Signatus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 10

 

 

-I want to be a healer.

Sehlu’s statement seemed to freeze the world for a slight second. Sehun, Luhan and Jonghun had been eating breakfast around the wooden table when the pup appeared, with Lay by his side.

He had spent the whole night with Lay, trying to heal Xiumin from a fever. When the healer came to drop Sehlu in the den, the pup didn’t want to sleep right away, using the gathering of his whole family to say what he had decided over the last two weeks.

-I want to be a healer. – The pup repeated, since no one answered him.

Luhan seemed thoughtful, but comprehensive, and Jonghun was the only one who seemed genuinely happy for the news. His step-father’s uneasy face, however, made his smile disappear.

He looked at Sehun inquisitively and Sehlu blinked at them with expectant eyes.

-No. – Came Sehun’s sharp answer.

-What? – Luhan asked. - Why can’t he now?

-He needs to be a hunter. – The man argued. -  Have you ever seen a healer who can feed himself?

-Have you ever seen a healer starve? – Luhan almost laughed. - Healers are too important in a pack, people will hunt for Sehlu.

-What if he is alone in the forest, then who will protect and hunt for him?

-Why would he be alone in a forest?

-He might have gotten lost there, I don’t know, but I’m telling you it might happen.

-He is not going to be alone, there are lots of pups that will grow with him.

-Yes, so think about all the other pups, they will grow and they will need people to feed the pack.

-I’ll feed the pack. -Jonghun finally intervened. - And I’ll feed Sehlu too.

-Jonghun, what if you aren’t able to?

-Well, Tao will be the leader, he will take care of everyone. Plus, the quintuplets can tie up snares with their eyes closed by now, and Baekyeol is already hunting rats. We’ve got a lot of hunters dad, we’ll never let Sehlu starve.

Sehun shook his head.

-It’s just… I’ve never imagined…

-I know it’s hard to not see Sehlu become a hunter. – Luhan said. – But Lay told me he has learned so much already.

-Yes, uncle Lay said Sehlu has a gift! -  Jonghun completed, confident. - He will be the best healer the packs have ever seen.

Sehun didn’t say anything right away, but he went to the small pup and brought him up to his chest, squeezing him.

-Alright… - He said, tapping Sehlu on the back. – If that’s what you really want...

Sehlu hugged him back and thanked both his parents, then, once Sehun let go of him, he went to Jonghun and sat on his lap, snuggling up against his chest.

-Thank you. – He muttered out.

-I’ve got your back, little brother. – Jonghun smiled and scratched his neck until he fell asleep, which didn’t take long. Sehlu was just exhausted for working the night with Lay.

Sehun came and took Sehlu in his arms, moving the boy to his bed. He still wasn’t happy for the decision, but he thought it was Sehlu’s life and if the pup wanted to go sleepless nights brewing concoctions and caring for the ill, he couldn’t really forbid him. That was what the boy was good at.

-We should get going. – Luhan said. – They will need help with the food for the assembly. Will you help us, Jonghun?

-He can’t. – Sehun answered for him, with a smile. – He has a meeting with Jungkook right now.

-Dad! – Jonghun protested.

-What, you think I wouldn’t tell your father? – He chuckled.

-It’s alright Jonghun, you can go. – Luhan said, surprising him. – But we need to talk about something first.

Jonghun nodded and followed his parents outside, to the noisy village ahead.

 

><><><><><><

           

They started coming on the early morning, the watchers, checking if everything was ok, if it was safe for the leaders to come to the village, then soon commoners started to arrive. Many people came to watch the debates and take part in the voting, if there was any, and the wolves from the South pack were very busy accommodating everyone and providing food and water for the visitors.

            When the East Wolves arrived, there were wolves from every pack there already, gathering around a big, rectangular wooden table, empty at the moment. Even a couple of Red Wolves, from Leeteuk’s pack, were allowed to join the meeting and they stayed close to Yunho’s pack, sensing the hostility of the West and Silver packs.

Jungkook stood there, half angry, half lost, looking at the crowd with anxious eyes and a dreadful feeling at the pit of his stomach. He had waited for Jonghun to show up behind their tree until the very last second, until Jimin was pulling him by the ear to make him join their parents and move to the table. When they got there, there were only a few wolves scattered around, but soon people started coming and a huge circle began to take form, surrounding them from all sides.

Jungkook could see wolves from the North, West and the Silver pack around, and the hosts, the South Wolves, standing to their right. Jungkook took a better look at the people.

It didn’t take long for him to find Jonghun, standing on a rock a little further, outside the circle that gathered around the table. Even if he was a little distant, he could see him well and Jungkook knew Jonghun would be able to hear whatever they said in the meeting.

The boy felt sick; As soon as the meeting started, Jungkook would be presented as the leader-to-be, the one to mate in behalf of his pack and Jonghun would finally know his secret.

He swallowed in dry. No, Jonghun couldn’t find out this way, not like this…! Jungkook should be the one to tell him. Yes, he would, it would only take one second.

He tried to leave, but Jin held him tightly by the forearm. There was a wall of East wolves behind him, and he knew he wouldn’t be able to go through them.

            There were two men standing beside Jonghun at the rock now, the boy’s parents, and Jungkook saw one of them lean a bit down and talk to the young. Jonghun shook his head. He was glancing right at him; even at distance Jungkook could feel the intensity of Jonghun’s eyes watching him. Instead of going back, Jungkook tried going ahead and no one stopped him. He took a couple of steps further and could see Jonghun was crying.

            No, it was too late. They told him. He knew.

            Jungkook tried making way through the crowd, through a group of Silver Wolves, but soon his father soon was beside him.

            -It’s time. – Yunho said, hand landing on Jungkook’s shoulder. – No time for playing anymore.

            He said, redirecting his soon to the head of the table, where he was forced to sit beside Tao. The leaders of all packs took a seat on the table. Jungkook took a look at the rock. Jonghun was gone.

 

><><><><><><><

 

No marriage, that was what the wolves decided. No conciliation, no peace. G-dragon wanted to attack the Red Wolves, exterminate them. Onew almost agreed with him by now. The Red Wolves had murdered his father cold-bloodily, they deserved it. After a lot of arguing, the South and East Wolves were able to appease them, and the situation was once again neutral. No marriage, yet no war. It was a good result so far.

            Jungkook didn’t feel relieved though. He couldn’t. He knew not getting married would be the worst thing that ever happened to the lands because it left the possibility of future wars available, and he did his best to argue for it, once he was given a chance to speak. He wanted to mate, he would do whatever was necessary to keep peace. That wasn’t a lie. He would have to deal with a broken heart for what he thought would be the rest of his life, but he wouldn’t allow an attack just so he and Jonghun could be happy. He wasn’t either selfish or stupid.

            However, as soon as the meeting ended and he was free to look for Jonghun all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter