Dark Mist

Beyond Two Souls

Sorry for the late update, I had a band camp for the whole week.

 

Author's POV

    It was drizzling the next morning, a weather which Sehun loved. When the mild wind brushes to his face, it always calms him easily. So he decided to go out for a jog. Wearing a grey hoodie, three quarter pants and a pair of black runners. As he step on the pavement, he stretched his body to prevent unwanted body aches. Sehun checked his watch and it was 7:17. It was a bit early but Sehun didn't mind, because the earlier it is the less people are around. He listened to his iPod and started jogging. 

    There were a few pedestrians, some whom he could hardly recognize. But there were a few who were his neighbours like Mr. Kang, Mrs Woon and his classmate Chen. A moment later his body started to sweat, he felt good as it had been a long time since his last work out. Sure he's a dancer but having a nice jog on a holiday seems pretty relaxing to him. 

    Sehun reached downtown and he was totally exhausted. Sehun took a breath and sat on a bench. He wiped his sweat on his forehead and scanned the place for any decent food stalls to fill up his empty stomach. Most of it were still closed but there was one near a park in front of him which caught his attention. He went to that direction and greeted the vendor and said

     "I'll have one Egg Toast please" 

 

 


    

 

     After finishing his desired meal, Sehun took a stroll around the town. People started coming out from their houses, opening their shops, selling fresh fishes and vegetables. Some even looked serious and was busy rushing to the train station to go to work. These little things made Sehun wonder, "am I living a normal life?"

     Sehun remembered the letter earlier, and his mood dropped. He didn't like receiving those letters. Every word, every alphabet written in it sent chills down his spine. It was the reason why Sehun was so insecure with his life. Like who to be with, what to eat, where to go. It all matters. His life, no. His friends' lives were always on the line. If he mistook a step, then it's all over. 

     A girl name Hyorin, Sehun used to be so close with her. She was once sent to the hospital because her ribs were broken and her lungs were bruised. She didn't want to tell anyone; when it happened, where did that person attacked her, why she was attacked and who was the person. She only cried when people started asking her questions. Every time they met, she would just walk away and say nothing, like he didn't even exist. 

    After that incident, he found a letter of Hyorin coughing up blood, at the place where she was beaten. The writer threaten him and told him to be cautious. Apparently the writer was a girl whom she claims herself "SSS" or better known as "Sehun's Second Soul" which he thought was a ridiculous name. Sehun tried to find her, but up until now. He found no one. Sehun told his friends, and his friends were confounded. They told him to report to the teachers or even the police station but Sehun was afraid that things could get worse. So, he decided not to. 

  

    Sehun thought he was thinking too much so he stopped by at a book shop, around the corner of Hermes Street. Apparently the book shop was new as he found the owner putting up books on the shelf. He walked down the hallway and the walls were full of books, old books which were interesting to read. Sehun was not a reader, but sometimes he finds reading a good thing to do when he's blunt.

     “Oh? A customer? I’m sorry please wait while I finish arranging this last box. You can ask Jaeun there, she works here too” The owner pointed to a room at the end of the hallway. Sehun bowed and headed to the room. The shop had a dim lighting were people would find it cosy to read here especially during winter. The walls were covered with wood paper textured wallpapers, felt like a library. They even have a fireplace in the reading room. The warmth inside beats the icy breeze outside.

     As he reached the room, a brunette with red streaks wearing the store’s official t-shirt was wiping the book shelves. Sehun knocked on the door and the girl tuned her head, looking at Sehun with wide eyes. Sehun guessed she was shocked maybe, for some reason.

     “Sehun? Oh Sehun?” she asked, eager for an answer.

    Looking confused, he answered; “Uhh, yes? I’m Oh Sehun, have we met?”

    “I’m Jaeun, we go to the same school actually. I guess you really don’t talk to people lower than you.”

    “What? I’m sorry, if you’d try talking to me I guess we could know each other better by then. But about me not talking to lower people? That’s not true. And there is no “lower” people in this world. To be honest, everyone is the same.

     “I’m sorry,” she chuckled “I got a bit carried away. So why are you here though?”

      “Do, you happen to know any good fiction books to read during winter?”

       “Which genre would you like? Mystery, Fantasy, or Romance?”

       “How about both Mystery and Romance, you think you have that kind of book in here?”

       “Are you insulting us? This shop has more than 3,000 books. Don’t give me that look please.” She mocked him and went to search for the book. Meanwhile, Sehun went back to the entrance and found the owner clearing up the boxes. He waited for about 5 minutes and Jaeun came back and said “How about; Dark Mist?”

       

 


 

 

       Yunseo got up, made her bed and went to the bathroom for a shower. She put on some casual clothes and headed to the kitchen. Yunseo saw Sehun's sister Seohyun busy frying some eggs. "Oh, you're awake! Sit, the eggs are almost done." Yunseo smiled slightly stared around the kitchen, the damage she did last time wasn't even there. Thank God, you better watch your manners Kyungsoo. 

       Seohyun brought the eggs and placed them on a plate. She rearranged the table and took a loaf of bread and a toaster, putting it at her right side. She took out a piece of bread and asked Yunseo "Toast?" Yunseo shook her head. "No, thank you" Seohyun smiled and inserted the bread into the toaster.

        "Is Sehun awake?" asked Yunseo.

        "He went for a morning jog. In cold weathers like this, it's normal for him to disappear early in the morning"

         Yunseo nodded as a sign of understanding. " So, what time are you going for work? Not that I don't want you to be here, it's just. It's better for me to prepare the breakfast next time"

         "Oh, it's alright. I'm not going today. I have to help you transfer to Sehun's school, remember?"

         Yunseo slightly flinched when she heard the word 'school'

 

      She walked down the hallway, and all eyes were on her. Ignoring the disgusted staring, she opened her locker and received a note written with a red marker. "COME TO THE DUMPSTER AFTER SCHOOL. AND BRING NO ONE. I REPEAT 'NO ONE'" She folded the letter and slipped it in her pocket, placed her books into the locker and went to the place. When she arrived, there were about 5 to 8 students waiting for her and one of them was Hongki, the leader. 

    "Why do you want me to come here?"

   "Well, let's say we wanted to teach you a lesson for making a fuss last time"

   "You know there's no reason to do so" Yunseo stuttered and grabbed an iron rod behind here. She walked backwards slowly and stopped as she bumped onto a tall guy. 

     "Going somewhere?" he grinned.

    "Get her!" Hongki shouted

        They all charged and began throwing punches and kicking. Yunseo managed to dodged the first few attacks but her movements got slower and her limbs were getting tired. And she received a deep cut on the arm by some sharp pieces of glass. The group grew silent as they saw blood trickling down her skin. "That will do the trick"

      Yunseo felt pain going all the way the her head. She landed on her knees and gripped her arm tightly to prevent the blood from gushing out. Her vision were starting to get blurry and a cold wind brushed against her skin "Don't worry Yunseo, I got this"  whispered Kyungsoo. 

       Her vision wasn't helping her at all. All she could see was a boy thrown on the other side of the alley and a girl knocked down by her own friend. She saw Kyungsoo grabbing a knife and going towards Hongki's direction. 

       "Stop..." she said, her voice was in trouble of reaching Kyungsoo.

       "Kyungsoo, please..." in just mere seconds, Hongki's life was on the line.

      "STOP IT KYUNGSOO!" Kyungsoo frozed due to her order. He let go of the knife and disappeared. Hongki ran away and same goes to a few of them.

      Yunseo couldn't stand the pain and collapsed on the ground.

 

      She remembered that she was sent to a hospital and there were some officers asking her question about the case. She had to transfer to another school, hoping that people would treat her different. And she was right, they did treat her differently.

       "School? I don't know, I'm not sure now is the right time" Yunseo confessed.

       "Oh, I understand. Then I better be going to work. See you this evening" She grabbed her toast, her jacket and her handbag and left the house. 

       Yunseo finished her breakfast and began cleaning up the table. She placed the left overs into the fridge and washed the dishes. When she was wiping the table she heard a noise at the living room. Yunseo decided to ignore it as she thought Sehun was home. The noises got louder, so she went to check it out.

      "Sehun?" she asked, checking for his prescence.

      "Sehun? You there?" Silence filled the room.

     "Kyungsoo?" No one replied. 

      The temperature suddenly dropped and everything in the room was slowly being frozen. A dark mist entering through the key hole of the door. A loud hissing echoed in Yunseo's head. She knew this was a bad sign. Kyungsoo, they're here. 

     Suddenly the umbrellas charged towards her direction, trying to stab her to death. Yunseo dodge and hid behind a sofa. "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!" she shouted.

     "You can run, but you can't hide. Not from me" the mist hissed, with voices from the dead.

     Yunseo stood up trying to face it, but when she did her body froze as she saw her mother standing in front of her. Everything about her seem dead, there was even a gunshot on her chest. "Yunseo, come to me.''

     She just stood there, not moving an inch. She was afraid to hurt her mother. Her dead mother to be exact.

    "We can live together, happily. Just like we planned, remember?"

     "Mo-"

     The mist changed shape and pushed Yunseo to the wall, choking her.

      "HELP! KYUNGSOO! HELP!"

 

 

     Sehun just got off the elevator when he heard Yunseo's scream. He rushed to his door and opened it. He barely made it when a strong force shut the door locking it, this time the key didn't help. Yunseo's scream grew louder and Sehun's heart was pounding faster than ever. 

     "YUNSEO! HANG IN THERE!" Sehun shouted, he searched the place for anything the he could use to break the door knob. Then he saw a fire extinguisher beside the elevator. He immediately took it and began hitting the door knob. The knob fell off and the door flew open.Sehun saw a black mist infront of Yunseo, strangling her. 

     "Yunseo!" he shouted.

     The black mist's eyes were red, piercing through Sehun's. Suddenly it disappeared into thin air. Yunseo fell on the ground, shivering. Sehun rushed to her and hugged her tightly.

   

     "It's okay, that thing is gone for now."

  

 

 

 ❀ ✿ 

 

Hi.

Comment.

Rate.

Subscribe.