Memory Lane

A Dream, Sealed With A Pinky Promise

“You look well,” the president assessed, eyeing me with approval, although I could tell there was caution behind that approving look he was giving me.

I gave him a silent nod. He leaned forward, elbows propped and hands laced. The caution became clear now, distilling in his eyes. I wonder if he realized this. “You look physically well, but what concerns me is how you are emotionally, especially mentally, as well.” I didn’t blame him for saying this. The president wanted to confirm his unsure feelings. Mimicking his movement, I looked him dead in the eyes, unwavering. “I wouldn’t have gotten on the plane to Korea, have I, sir?” My voice serious.

He tried to mask the tugging corners of his lips. The caution clouding his eyes began to evaporate, eyes softening. “I can see why Jiyong personally took you under his wing during your training days.” I smiled confidently. The president was never afraid to be straightforward with me, as I was with him. That’s the kind of relationship we have, a mutual respect for one another.

“Now, as for you debut,” he began, cutting to the chase. “I want you to go through a month of training. We’ll start with the basics, just to be safe. If we see you won’t need to continue, we’ll jump to the advancements. Teddy will be working with you three times a week on your vocals and dancing and Hwang will work with you for your diet.”
 

I sat quietly, mentally taking down my schedule.

“I will make your schedule tonight and give it to you at 8:30 tomorrow sharp.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” I whined, falling back in my chair. “Why so early? I’m still suffering from jetlag!”

I’m pretty sure he saw this coming. Damn the president and his foreseeing skills.

“You want me to make it 7:30 with the other trainees?” He grinned as he saw the panic ride in my face. “Anika, I’m going easy on you because you and I both know you know what to do and how things work around here. I’m not expecting 100% from you because I know you’ll give me ten times that.”

Was he expecting an answer from me? If he was, I didn’t have one. “Sir, am I supposed to say something to that or agree with you?”

The president sighed. Now that I saw it, he looked a bit worn out. “Sir, are you alright?” He tired eyes met with mine, a lazy smile slowly spreading across his face. “You never cease to amaze me with your kindness, something that never goes unnoticed.” I gave him a skeptical look. He knew I wasn’t going to buy it. “Sir, if you’re feeling overwhelmed, why not take a short vacation with your wife?”

A hand came out from underneath the desk, placing itself on top of mine. “Thank you for being considerate, Anika. Don’t worry about me, though.”

When the president gave his word, it was final. I was ready to protest, but the look he gave me made me bite my tongue. “You may take your leave. I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said, a reassuring smile creasing on his face.

Holding back my words, I did what I was told. I made my final goodbye for the evening and headed out.

***

 “You’re late,” I nagged, climbing into the car.

“I was in the middle of playing Monopoly with Seung-hyun and Seungri. When you play Monopoly with the two Seung-hyuns, it gets intense. It’s like the Monopoly Olympics when playing with the two of them,” Daesung explained, anger flashing on his face. “You should know this, Anika-ah.”

Monopoly? Really? Then again, when I played with them, we started yelling at one another. Seungri flipped the table, Seung-hyun threw the kimchi out the window, and after that, I remember bits and pieces. I do remember Seung-hyun calling me a cheating because I had too many pink fifties.

“After all these years, you guys still play with the two of them? I learned my lesson, so I don’t get why the three of you don’t.”

Dae grunted, trying to forget about the intensity of playing a board game that doesn’t even meet an ending. I shook my head. Boys will be boys, even when it comes to board games. These were the idiots I called my friends… “Where are we going for dinner?” changing the subject.

The anger that lit up his face disappeared, a grin replacing it.

 

Ba-dump.

 

“Down memory lane.”

“Huh?”

Flashback

“We haven’t been here in ages!” Anika exclaimed, staring at the old fashion diner in awe.

“It’s only been a week…” Daesung sighed, shaking his head.

“You know I can’t live without having food from Eternity’s for a week,” she shot back, eyes narrowing.

Daesung rolled his eyes. He’s become so used to his best friend’s rather unhealthy love for the diner. They’ve been coming to Eternity from the time they were small kids. The staff, even the owner himself, has come to know who they were all too well.

“Look who it is,” said a middle aged woman from behind the counter.

“Ajumma!” Anika cried out, rushing to the counter. “I’ve missed you!”

“Anika-ah, it’s only been a week,” Daesung reminded his friend, sighing.

“Dae was being cruel to me, ajumma! He knows how I feel about this place, but he wanted to torture me by only taking me here once last week!”

She chuckled. “He’s a very bad guy for doing that to you,” the woman agreed, face serious.

“Ah, ajumma! Why?” Daesung whined, hanging his head.

“I told you they’d be on my side,” Anika announced triumphantly, holding her head high with confidence.

“The way you two act… I swear, you could be dating. Are you yet?” the woman asked, her emphasis quite clear on question.

The two teenagers locked eyes, faces flashing red instantly. “A-Ajumma, can you seat us at our usual table?”

The middle aged woman nodded, a small smile appearing on her face. Her and the staff were convinced the two were going to date sooner or later. Personally, she was surprised it hasn’t happened yet.

“Yes, Anika. Follow me.”

End flashback

“That place hasn’t changed one bit!” I cried out, rubbing my full belly. “It’s like I never left Korea in the first place.”

“When I told them you were coming back, they were really excited. You should’ve seen those green eyes of yours light up when we were taking the road down to there,” Daesung said, chuckling.

 

Ba-dump.

Ba-dump.

 

“When I was in America, I craved Eternity’s food for the longest time. I was so tempted to call Ajumma and ask her if they delivered via international,” I told my best friend, continuing to rub my belly.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if you actually did,” Daesung nodded, agreeing. “By the way, that’s going to be a beautiful food baby,” he commented, hoping in front of me to rub my belly.

 

Ba-dump.

 

“Well, the baby will have my looks, of course. I am beautiful,” I said confidently. I’d just like to note I do not have a big ego.

“You are, always was,” Daesung told me as he eyed me with soft eyes.

What?

What the hell?

Why do I feel my face getting hot?

 

Ba-dump.

Ba-dump.

Ba-dump.

 

Why is he putting his forehead against mine?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

“You’re going to be a beautiful and wonderful mom, and I’m not just saying that because you’re my best friend. The hyungs even know you will be.”

Why can’t I say anything? Why does my throat feel dry all of a sudden?

Smiling softly, he took my silence as an agreement. Taking my hand into his, head turned the opposite way. “It’s getting late. Let me take you back.”

A/N: I'd like to apologize for not updating! When you start college, it kinda... y'know... yeah. I'd also like to apologize for this chapter being really crappy and full of errors. College has made me 10x lazier. I'd love comments and feedback~