Chapter 4

Kaleidoscope

Ryeowook opened her eyes to the beautiful sound of leaves rustling in the wind. She smiled at the peace she feel in her heart and was shocked to see Kyuhyun actually already drinking tea at the coffee table.

“Kyuhyun ah.” She called.

“Good morning.” He greeted and walked to her to give her a peck on her cheek.

She pouted at Kyuhyun’s overflowing affections. “I’m going to work. Be good and play with Taeminnie today.”

Ryeowook pulled his sleeve cutely and said “I want to go with you.”

“You can’t.” Kyuhyun said gently.

Ryeowook pouted her lips into a U shape and her eyes turned wet. Kyuhyun was shocked that she was about to cry. He quickly hugged her and pat her softly at the back. “Don’t cry, Ryeowook.”

She start to sob softly. “I want to go with you.”

Kyuhyun sighed and gave in to her. “Okay, but promise that you will be good and stay quiet beside me. Promise?”

She smiled brightly and nodded.


 

It is a weird scene to have the dark queen sitting in the meeting with ministers and the light master discussing about maintaining peace in the kingdom.

The ministers did not dare talk openly in the presence of Ryeowook.

“The rice stocks should be stored at…” The minister of agriculture looked at Ryeowook warily. Kyuhyun smiled and said “You can talk at ease.”

“She may be feigning all this while.” He whispered to Kyuhyun.

“She is not. She truly lost her memories.” But the rest were still not convinced.

“Lets call it a day. I don’t think we can carry on like that.” Kyuhyun suggested and stood up. Ryeowook who was playing with her kaleidoscope joined Kyuhyun to leave the meeting room.

Kyuhyun paused for her to catch up and then held her hands. “Kyuhyun ah, are you angry?”

“No.” He smiled at her.

“But I can sense.” She said.

“Of course, we are made for each other. Of course you can sense it. Stupid me, trying to lie to you.”

Ryeowook giggled and clinged onto Kyuhyun. “The ahjussis hate me, don’t they?”

“Because you did some very bad things to them before.” Kyuhyun explained.

“What did I do?”

“Don’t ask. It’s in the past.” Kyuhyun pulled Ryeowook with him to the field of lavender just outside the backgate of the palace. “It’s beautiful!” Ryeowook exclaimed.

She released her hand from Kyuhyun’s and ran into the field. She laughed and smelled the flowers.

Kyuhyun, standing at a corner to observe his long time one-sided love, he recalled their past….

*Flashback* 10000 years ago

Kyuhyun’s POV

I spent my childhood being trained by my light teachers to prepare for the day I meet the descendant of darkness. My mission is to catch her and keep her under control.

In ‘high school’ (Ancient style), fellow schoolmates who know my identity admired me and I was very well liked.

One day, a mysterious girl joined the class. We looked into each other’s eyes and immediately, I know that she is my destiny.

The moment boys saw her, they all fell in love with her. Those that were attached, broke up with their girlfriends or divorced their wives. She made boys steal things for her and men were fighting over her. Her name is Kim Ryeowook. She was beautiful but I know that I wasn’t attracted by her appearance. Something in her made me fall for her.

During break times, although she’s always surrounded by boys, her eyes never seem to leave me. She’s looking at me whenever I peek at her. Sometimes, I feel that she’s jealous when girls talk to me as she would suddenly be warm to some guys around her while smirking at me.

One day in the evening, I was in the study room and suddenly, the door opened.

Ryeowook entered the room.

“Hi, Kyuhyun.” She greeted seductively.

“Hi.” I said with my heart beating fast.

“I heard that you are the master of light.” I nodded. “Then you are destined to catch the descendant of darkness?” She continued. I nodded again.

She smiled and walked close to me while I back until we reach the wall. She leaned her face close to me and I swallowed my saliva nervously. “But you are attracted to my beauty like any other man. You are of no different.” She mocked.

“I like you because you are lonely.” I answered.

“Mwo?”

“You are lonely like me.” I repeated. She laughed loudly and kissed me on the lips suddenly.

“I’m lonely? Don’t you see how many men are queuing to keep me company, my dear?”

Just then, we heard footsteps nearing the room and we separate from each other. Ryeowook ran out of the room and shortly after that, my teacher entered.

“Kyuhyun ah, good thing you are here. We discovered why the men are mesmerized by Kim Ryeowook. She is the reincarnated dark queen!”

“Mwo?”

“We have treated the affected men but we have to catch her before she causes any more trouble.” My teacher said to me. I was still in shock of the news, I fell in love with the dark queen? Was she here to try to kill me?

From then on, the whole nation turned into chaos. The villagers formed surveillance groups to catch Ryeowook. The village was brightly lit to prevent shadows.

As long as there is shadow, it turned alive to harm innocent people. I trained armies that could fight these shadows. In the meantime, I look for Ryeowook in the night alone.

One night, I was calling for her in the forest and she replied.

“What?” She appeared behind me.

“Surrender!” I warned her. “Don’t you know the legend? Kill me if you want. You will die along with me.” She said.

I flashed my light beam into the sky to alert my armies to back up. She controlled her shadow armies to fight me while she burned the forest around us. My armies were unable to enter but I was still fighting the enemies. Ryeowook laughed as she watched me struggle.

But little did she forget that the fire was a source of light too. Her shadow army reduced and I was able to fight her. She was fast and skillful as she took the opportunity to control every shadow created by me.

The shadows slashed me but I was able to hit her with me magical flute too. Each hit on her would cause her much pain. But each time she winced, I would feel more heartbroken.

I lost focus when she fell to the ground and was stabbed through the heart by her shadow.

I fell to the ground while Ryeowook stood up, giggling at me. “What a fool! How are you going to protect mankind if you are so emotional like that?”

My heart bled as I listen to her mock at me. Just then, she grabbed her heart to and squat on the floor in pain. She turned weak too.

Right, we can never live without the other. So the legend is true.

Ryeowook looked at me as I was at the edge of my life. She crawled to me weakly and hugged me. “Pabo, you win.” She said.

She pressed her lips on mine and started to blow some of her energy into me. I felt that my wound is healing and my energy is coming back. My hand was at her back as she healed me.

Ryeowook weakened and rested her head on my chest. I sat up and hugged her in my arms. She tried to push me away but was too weak.

“You jerk. Don’t you dare do anything to me. Let me go.”

“I’m sorry that you have to go with me or you will create more havoc.” I explained and watched a drop of tear fall from her eyes.

“Do you love me or your people more?” Ryeowook asked in tears.

I knew my answer immediately and answered “I love my people, Ryeowook ah.”

The dark queen cried weakly in my arms and I couldn’t bear to see her cry. I kissed her lips lovingly, she did not respond at first but later kissed me back. ‘But of course, I love you more.’ I thought to myself.

I have to protect my people so I would rather Ryeowook spend her days hating me than longing for me.

That night marked the first night I left my love locked up in the tower that would her ever-growing evil aura with the moonlight. She screamed and cried every night. The only thing I could do to comfort her was with my flute music to accompany her every night.

*End of flashback*

Kyuhyun watched the now-innocent Ryeowook skipping around the bed of flowers, he swear to treasure every second he has with her.


Hello! Thank you for reading! I

hope no one else has problems commenting like DetNaq or else I will be very sad that no one talk to me about this chapter.