Chapter 2

Kaleidoscope

The next evening, Haejin followed a rough map drawn by a maid to get to the tower. She struggled out of the curtain of plants and arrive at the foot of the tower.

“Kyuhyun?” A sweet lady voice called.

Haejin did not answer.

“Who’s there?” Ryeowook asked sternly.

“I’m Haejin. Kyuhyun’s fiancé.” She finally spoke.

“Annyeohaseyo, Haejin ssi.” Ryeowook greeted politely.

“Kyuhyun’s been seeing you too often. I don’t want that to happen again.” She said to the sly dark queen.

“I have to him so many times but he still wanted to see me. If only I’m not trapped here, I would have gone to a place where he couldn’t find me.”

“Really?” Haejin asked excitedly.

“Yes, I promise. Please, let me go.”

“No, you will create havoc after you leave.” Haejin said.

“But does it matter? As long as Kyuhyun marry you, does it matter?” Ryeowook asked. Haejin thought for awhile and agreed.

“Okay, how do I release you?”

 “Just remove the red brick somewhere near the base and read the scripture out aloud.” Ryeowook instructed.

Haejin found the red brick and pulled it out. Inside the hole is an old parchment with words on it. She read it aloud….

The tower shook and the bricks start to fall off. Haejin hid to a corner of the woods and watched. The tower collapsed and the dark queen was released.

The laughter of Ryeowook filled the entire city which alerted Kyuhyun as well.

Ryeowook flew around happily and landed in front of Haejin. Haejin was surprised by the beauty of the dark queen. She smiled at haejin and hugged her.

“Thank you! I won’t forget your kindness.”

“Don’t forget your promise.” She said.

Ryeowook laughed mockingly and said “I may be the dark queen but I think your evil heart is comparable to mine.” She pat the prime minister daughter’s cheek.

“Jealousy, indeed, can make anyone a dark queen.” Ryeowook laughed and flew off.


 

The next morning, Kyuhyun mobilized all of his army to look for Ryeowook. He ordered his citizens to stay at home and on all lights to avoid any shadows. Ryeowook has the power to control all shadows.

“Do not miss out any shadow you see. She might be hiding in it. Find her before it turns dark again.”

“Yes sir!” The army ran out.

Kyuhyun is troubled and worried. What if she hurt his people? He didn’t have the time to investigate who release her. He took his flute with him and ran out to look for her.

“Ryeowook, come out and fight me!”  Kyuhyun shouted in the woods.

Then, giggling of Ryeowook was heard throughout.

Kyuhyun looked around and saw a weird shadow on the grass that does not have an object causing it. “There you are.” Kyuhyun pointed. Ryeowook’s figure slowly materialized from the shadow and stood in front of Kyuhyun.

She smiled at him.

“Remember what I said? I will kill you the moment I’m out of that tower.” She said coldly to Kyuhyun.

“You look paler than before. Was the tower too hard to bear?” Kyuhyun put his hand on her cheek which surprised the dark queen. She swung his hand away and said “What are you doing?”

Kyuhyun woke up from his passion and said “Return with me and stop creating havoc.”

“Not after I kill you!” Ryeowook flicked her fingers and all the tree shadows in the woods turned into her army. They flew toward Kyuhyun to bind him but as the light master, Kyuhyun was skillful enough to evade them.

Kyuhyun took a pebble on the ground and threw at Ryeowook. Immediately, that pebble turned into a magical stone when it hit Ryeowook. She winced in pain and fell to the ground.

“I’m not going back to that place!” She resisted me as my magical sash wind around her. She whistled for a bird shadow to cut my sash and she ran away with her might.

“Ryeowook ah!”

She ran and met Kyuhyun’s army. They pointed their weapons at her and she tried to sweep them away but Kyuhyun from the back, shot a beam at her.

Ryeowook lost her balance and flew out of the cliff. Kyuhyun grabbed her hand and said “Don’t let go.”

“Let me go! I’m not going back!”

“I won’t!” She struggled to free her hand from his and finally, he lost his grip and released her.

“Ryeowook!!!” He watched his life partner fall down the cliff.


 

“Find her no matter what!” Kyuhyun ordered his army.

“Sire, it’s been 2 days. She would have escaped far. You should rest.” Taemin persuaded.

“I can sense that she is nearby. She’s calling me.” Kyuhyun tried to leave the palace but was stopped by Taemin. “Sir, you have not rested for 1 week already. Let the army find her. She will be fine.”

“She needs me.” Kyuhyun pushed Taemin aside but before he stepped out, someone shouted “We found her!”

“We found the dark queen at the water bank. We have brought her back to the palace.”

Kyuhyun took all the energy he have and ran to where they left Ryeowook. Guards were surrounding her and ministers, including haejin were there to see the true identity of the dark queen for the first time.

Kyuhyun broke through the human barrier to Ryeowook.

“Ryeowook ah.” He pat her cheek softly. Everyone around awed at how loving and gentle the light master was to the dark queen as if they were in love.

Kyuhyun read her pulse and deem her healthy. He carried her up bridal style and brought her to his room. Ministers look at each other wide eyed but none of them dared to speak.

Kyuhyun laid Ryeowook on his bed and her hair tenderly. He looked at her tired face and hate himself for making her suffer so much.

“Ryeowook ah. Wake up, will you? I’m here, don’t you want to kill me? Wake up now.” He held her hands to warm them.

Her beautiful features never age since they are immortals. Kyuhyun traced the outline of her face and kissed her on the lips.

Slowly, her eyes opened.

“You are awake!” Kyuhyun smiled and hugged Ryeowook in her arms.

The imperial doctor entered to check on Ryeowook. She laid there silently as she watched people crowding around to catch a glimpse of her.

“She is fine, sire.” The doctor said.

“Good. Thank you.” Kyuhyun said.

“Ryeowook, you heard? You are fine. I won’t lock you up yet, rest well okay?”

She stared blankly at kyuhyun. “Are you alright?” He put a hand on her forehead but was pushed away by her.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

The blank faced Ryeowook looked around the room and asked

“Who are you? Where am I?.......... Who am I?”


Thank you for the support! Comments please!!

Love all my readers!