Chapter 1

Kaleidoscope

Darkness and light can never exist without the other. Likewise in the SJ Kingdom, the dark queen has been fighting the light master for the past 10000 years for dominance. The dark queen, named Ryeowook is the master of all evil while the light master, named Kyuhyun is the leader of all good. Kyuhyun has been keeping Ryeowook in good control by trapping her in a tower. He cannot fully destroy Ryeowook since he would die if she died too.

The SJ Kingdom has been in peace since the evil queen has been locked up. People were happy and flowers are blooming.

But every night, those living near the palace can hear the painful screams of the dark queen because of the moonlight her evil aura. Her cries are always pitiful.

Being the leader of SJ Kingdom, he attended to all politics and ruled the nation. He was well respected because of his kind ruling. The one thing that his citizens are worried is that their leader does not have a wife yet.

Many parents and ministers nominate their daughters to be wife of Kyuhyun. There are even pageants to choose his wife.

“Sire, this is the list of girls that applied this year.” Taemin said to his master.

Kyuhyun took a look at the list and put it back down.

“I see the same names every year.” He giggled a little.

“That’s because you are still not married.”

“True!” Kyuhyun laughed. He stood up from his study table and put his pile of documents aside to take out a flute.

Taemin frowned a little and said “You have been doing it every night for 10000 years, aren’t you tired?”

“Of course not.” The light master smiled and left the room.

He gestured to his servants not to follow him and walked quietly into the imperial woods. He walked past the layer of climber plants and heard the familiar crying voice.

“Let me go! I beg you…” The sweet feminine voice pleaded.

Kyuhyun walked to the bottom of the tall tower and the voice is much louder. It’s the voice of Ryeowook, the dark queen who’s been trapped by him for the past 10000 years.

“Kyuhyun, are you here?” She asked.

“Yes, I’m here. What is it?” Kyuhyun answered patiently.

“You jerk! Let me go! How long more are you going to trap me? I hate you!”

“I will keep you here for as long as we exist.” He explained.

“I’m going to kill you the first thing I escape from this place. AH!!!!” She screamed and start banging the wall in the tower.

“You should know how sturdy the walls of this tower are, considering that you lived her for so many years.” He teased.

“Let me go!!!” She shouted.

Kyuhyun shook his head and took out the flute. He started to blow a melodious music. Ryeowook stopped banging the wall and calmed down. She sat on the floor and listened to the sound quietly.

Kyuhyun continued playing the melody for the night until he could feel that Ryeowook fell asleep.

“Sleep well, Wookie ah.” He smiled and left.


 

Every morning, Kyuhyun would have to go for parliament to discuss national issues. But today after that, the ministers have arranged for a discussion about his marriage.

“I have no intention to marry yet, my dear ministers.”

“It is for the stability of our nation, sire. You need to have a descendant to pass down your light too.” They reminded their leader.

“I know but…”

“Is there someone that you like?” Kyuhyun paused as somebody he knew he can never love appeared in his mind immediately. He shook his thought out of his mind and said “No.”

“Very well, we feel that the prime minister’s daughter Haejin is a good match for you.”

“Mwo? Haejin?”

“Yes. We shall arrange a meeting for you 2 tomorrow.” Kyuhyun sighed and said “Do whatever you want then. I won’t marry her.”


 

That night, it was raining heavily. Kyuhyun took an umbrella and his flute and was ready to go. Taemin stopped his master and said “Sire, its raining! You will fall sick. Don’t go tonight.”

“It isn’t the first time I’m going there on a raining night.” Kyuhyun replied.

“But, you have a matchmaking session tomorrow. You can’t fall sick.”

“She will be lonely and scared if I don’t go tonight.”

“She is the dark queen. She won’t be scared.” Taemin scoffed.

Kyuhyun shook his head and said “You don’t know her. She needs me. I’ll get going.” Kyuhyun pushed Taemin lightly aside and left for the tower.


 

At the base of the tower, he could hear Ryeowook’s usual cries but this time, exceptionally sad.

“Yah, are you okay?” He asked.

“Why are you here?” Ryeowook asked surprised.

“I’m here every night, what’s the surprise?”

“It’s raining.”

“You can’t sleep without my flute. How can I leave you alone?” Kyuhyun asked. There was a long silence. “I can’t see you since you are in the tower. Talk if you are not asleep yet.” He continued.

“I’m still awake.” Ryeowook replied.

“They….. want me to get married by this year.” He said to her. Ryeowook remained silent. “Then marry.” She said later.

“I refused.” He continued.

“Why?” she asked.

“I… have a life partner already.” Kyuhyun said. There was a long silence before the dark queen lightened up and said “Why are you telling me this? Just blow your flute and go back. You must be drenched now.”

“Are you caring for me?”

“NO! JUST DO YOUR NOW!” she shouted fiercely.

Kyuhyun giggled and started playing his melody….


 

 The next morning, Kyuhyun was awoken by the smell of ginger. It was Taemin bringing in a cup of ginger tea.

“Sire, please drink this tea or else you will fall sick.” Kyuhyun took the cup from his servant and took a sip.

“I have prepared this outfit for you.” Taemin flashed a set of clothes in front of Kyuhyun. “Anything will do.” The master replied.

“Aren’t you going for meeting now?”

“I have something to do first.” Kyuhyun winked before running out of the house.


 

Ryeowook is lying on the floor of the last storey of the tower, body curled up. She opened her eyes to the sunshine on her face and groan as she turned away from the light.

“Ryeowook ah.” A familiar voice called her. She found it weird that he came at this time and she crawled up to stick her head out of the tower.

“Mwo!?” She shouted grumpily to her captor smiling brightly at her.

“Happy 10000th anniversary!” he said and threw a tiny box up the tower. The dark queen the box into the tower. “Are you mocking me that I’m caught by you for that so many years?” She asked angrily.

“You know that I would never mean that.” Kyuhyun explained. “Get out of my sight!” Ryeowook shouted and threw a stone down the tower which made kyuhyun dodge quickly. He smiled at her proud character and left her alone.

 After she heard that he’s left, Ryeowook opened up the box. It’s a diamond studded kaleidoscope. Ryeowook scoffed and took it out to play with it. “Why can’t he give something more practical? Like…the key of this tower.” She grumbled to herself but was unknowingly smiling sweetly as she looked through the kaleidoscope.


 

Kyuhyun dragged his feet to the café that the ministers arranged to have a meeting with the prime minister’s daughter, Haejin.

She bowed when she saw the man of her dreams.

“Hi, Haejin ssi.” Kyuhyun greeted.

Haejin smiled demurely and they sat down together. Kyuhyun tried to find conversation to talk and haejin was cheerful to continue talking too. But the light master was only trying to leave the table as soon as he can. It’s midnight soon and he needed to leave.

“Haejin ssi, I’m sorry but I really need to leave now.” He stood up and Haejin was surprised.

She held her composure and said “Sure, I will see you soon.”

Kyuhyun bowed politely and ran out of the café.

When he arrived at the tower, Ryeowook’s crying were soft. “Ryeowook ah, I’m here. Are you alright?”

“You are late.” She sobbed.

“I’m sorry. Something held me up.”

“I hate you. Let me go!” She pleaded.

“I’m sorry, it my fault. You went through the entire process without my flute, it must have hurt a lot.”

“Of course! I will lock you up here to try if I were to catch you one day!” She shouted.

“If only I could be there to comfort you.” Kyuhyun said. Ryeowook giggled and said “Easy, release me and I’ll be beside you.”

“I’m not so stupid.” Kyuhyun said.

“You idiot!”

“Have a good rest.” Kyuhyun shouted to the dark queen before leaving.


 

Haejin returned to her home still bewildered by Kyuhyun’s action.

The prime minister Kangin walked to his daughter.

“How was your date?”

“Appa, Kyuhyun rushed off and left me alone in the café.” She complained.

“Really? Oh! Because it’s midnight.”

“Midnight?”

“The light master goes to the dark queen tower every night to play her the flute.” He explained.

“Aren’t they enemies?” She asked.

“For some reason, Kyuhyun just continued this habit since the day he caught her. Maybe it’s because they can’t live without the other.”

Haejin frowned and thought that she would like to meet this dark queen that actually stole the heart of Kyuhyun.


How is it how is it? Please give me comments. I really need it. So many first times for me.

My first genderbender, My first time writing third person, my second fantasy FF.

Please give me your support!

P.S. Does AFF act weirdly for you? My alerts have gone crazy and my number of subscribers and views go crazy too.