Episode 9

Love Makes You Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'We Got Married' had become wildly popular again with the help of JiYong and Jodi. The producers noticed quickly that on the weeks that no footage of the couple was aired, the ratings tanked. To fix this, they changed the format and showed fifteen minutes of each couple every episode, instead of a half hour every other episode.

One of the March episodes was one of the highest rated shows since the very first. The mission envelope simply read 'Prepare.' JiYong had been giggling all that morning, so Jodi was extra nervous. As they sat in the restaurant that evening, the door opened and Jung HyungDon came in with he and JiYong's 'Best Couple' award tucked under his arm. He had it in a glass case, siting atop red velvet, and sat it in the center of the table. He sat next to JiYong, fed him and held his hand while he recounted to Jodi all the wonderful times he and JiYong has shared.

Jodi played along, pretending to be jealous that JiYong would bring his ex-lover to dinner. JiYong sat at the head of the table(laughing uncontrollably)while she and HyungDon antagonized each other, and fought for JiYong's attention. In the end, JiYong kissed 'Hyung-hyung' on the forehead, told him that he would always cherish their memories, but he was his past, and Jodi was his future.

JiYong and Jodi's antics outside of the show helped the show as well. Whether intentional or not, through social networking, JiYong created the narrative that Jodi was a fun, silly and likable person. He posted funny pictures of her, and of them together. He tweeted out funny things that she said to him, and complained frequently about Jodi not being his fan. Jodi, for her part, kept up the joke by following SeungRi, and not JiYong. On every episode, he would take her phone, unfollow SeungRi, start following himself, and then leave himself a sweet message. Jodi, would unfollow him before the day was done.

The fans wrote to her, and she wrote back to at least one person a day. When she saw them out, she waved, and would stop to talk when she could. She was nice to them, and they were, in turn, nice to her. Most of them, at least. There were always the few that would stand too close despite her asking politely for space. The few that made her color an issue. The few that didn't 'get' the fact that she and JiYong were not actually married.

All things considered, JiYong was happy. He looked happy, and he looked healthy. With his lighter schedule, he had more time to do the things he wanted. Like sleep, and read, and watch horror movies. Yes, his schedule still included things like fan meetings, photo shoots, appearances, and recording sessions, but he was able to enjoy them again. Because honestly, he had begun to hate it. All of it. The fans, the press, the long hours, the waiting, the lack of rest, etc. He knew he had Jodi to thank for that. Because when his day was done, he spent the rest of it with her in some form or fashion.

And that is how Jodi found herself at a 2NE1 concert. JiYong was going to be performing 'The Leaders' with CL, and requested her presence. He had given her VIP seating, but she traded with a young lady who had traveled alone from the Philippines to see the concert. That act of kindness ended with Jodi watching the concert from the balcony, but she didn't mind. She still had a backstage pass.

She talked with the girls close by and complimented them on their signs. Then one girl asked Jodi if 'g-bulge' was real. “If what?” Jodi asked in confusion. An older girl beside her giggled and whispered the meaning in her ear. “How—what? OMG! How could you even ask me that?! And what makes you think I would know!? Little girl, I need you to focus on other things.” Jodi had every intention of further chastising her, but the lights went down and the crowd roared too loudly for her to be heard.

Jodi had to admit, 2NE1 put on a hell of a show. They were energetic and polished. Jodi only knew a few of their songs, but knew she would be getting more of it as soon as she got home. About forty minutes into the concert, JiYong was introduced and he and ChaeLin came out holding hands. Through the entire performance, the two flirted and touched. Jodi smiled and clapped along, secretly thrilled to see her husband on stage.

From Jodi's spot, she could see Jiyong standing close to ChaeLin on stage as she started her verse. With the monitors, she could see that JiYong was biting his lip and eyeing her up and down. At the end of ChaeLin's verse, she bent forward, wiggled her rear at JiYong, and he fanned himself playfully. At the end of the song, the two hugged and went off stage with his arm around her shoulder. There were boo's from the girls directly around Jodi as the music ended. Jodi looked around in confusion. She asked the girl next to her what the problem was.

“She shouldn't have danced with oppa like that. He's a married man!” the girl yelled, and quite a few girls agreed with her.

“Okay, yes, the performance was a little provocative, but you have got one glaring thing wrong; he's not married. It was just a performance.” Jodi argued. Some of the girls kept shaking their heads, refusing to let it go. They were outraged on her behalf. Oh, . And then, they proceeded to educate Jodi about the realness that is 'SkyDragon'.

Good Lord.

When the concert finished, Jodi stayed in her seat to let the crowd disburse a little before making her way back stage. She looked on twitter and saw more comments like the ones she had heard in the stands, but far uglier. The 'fans' were calling ChaeLin everything but a Child of God. She felt compelled to tweet:

 

Jodi@OhJoFoTo: Breathe deep. Stay Calm. Remember that all of this is an illusion. #chillax #itsnotthatserious #aintnobodymadbutyou

 

In the backstage area, Jodi found ChaeLin curled in a chair with several women around her. JiYong paced nearby, but stopped when he saw Jodi. His, and several other eyes turned in her direction, waiting for her reaction.

Jodi lifted her shoulders and said, “Some weather we're having, right?” Her comment garnered the intended reaction. People laughed and went about their business. ChaeLin approached her slowly and mumbled an apology. “Why would you be apologizing?”

“I took it too far. I was in the moment and feeling the music. I wasn't thinking.”

JiYong touched Jodi's back, but didn't hug her, or look right at her.

“Oh, for the love—look. I am not his wife, I am not his girlfriend, I am not mad. I thought it was a good performance! Those girls, based on what I heard before the show even started, were just looking for a reason to blast you. The fake outrage has nothing to do with sympathy, or my potentially hurt feelings. I can't understand why they bought tickets if they swear they hate you so much.”

ChaeLin looked relieved, then hugged Jodi hard. “Thank you, unnie.”

“I'm not going to say 'you're welcome', because all I've done is be rational.” Jodi smoothed ChaeLin's hair before pushing her back towards the waiting army of stylists and makeup artists.

JiYong held Jodi's hand and pulled her off to a quiet spot. He sat on a table and drew her to stand between his legs. “It really didn't mean anything, Jo.”

Jodi threw her hands up, rolled her eyes, then punched JiYong lightly in the shoulder. “It will sound really harsh if I say 'I don't care', but it's the truth. I don't care. I mean, I care that this is bad press for her, and the group by association, but it's not personal for me. My feelings aren't hurt by any of this. We're just friends, Ji.”

Okay, that hurt a little, he admitted to himself. Did she have to say it so bluntly, and with such finality? “I feel like I should explain—”

“I require no explanations.”

“Jodi, please listen,” JiYong said with patience. Jodi folded her hands in front of her and stood quietly. “We've . . . we've all developed proximity crushes on one another, but we don't date in-house. No matter what you may hear, ChaeLin and I have never had anything other than a brother/sister relationship. That was just to spice up the show.”

“Okay.”

“Just okay?”

“I'm beginning to feel like I'm under reacting, or something,” Jodi said primarily to herself. “Do you want me to be mad?”

JiYong hesitated. He would have liked for her to show some kind of reaction, something other than her stoic calm. Jealousy, maybe? No. Why would she be jealous? Like she said, 'We're just friends.' Yeah. Just friends. JiYong his lips and sighed. “No, I don't want you to be mad.”

“Good, because I'm not. So you're good, I'm good, she'll be good after a few drinks, I'm sure. Everyone is good. Okay?”

JiYong nodded and pulled her in for a hug. “There's an after party. Do you want to go?”

“Honestly, no, but I think for the sake of appearances I should. And I should be seen in a lot of pictures looking happy and comfortable with ChaeLin. I'm starting to get t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter