Episode 35

Love Makes You Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September


 

JiYong didn’t want to declare it publicly, but he was fairly certain he had never had so much fun promoting before. And that’s saying something, because the GD&TOP promotions had been a breeze. There wasn’t a lot of choreography and he could play around on stage as much as he wanted. It was encouraged, actually. To be fair to his hyung, he decided to separate it. GD&TOP may have been the most fun group promotions, but the ones for his single ‘Jackpot!’ were definitely, without a doubt, his favorite solo promotions. All the other times had been boring and stressful. This time was different. This time, he had Jodi.

She put aside all goodnatured teasing and turned herself into his biggest fan. Even followed him on social media. Jodi posted on Instagram a picture of her and Ebah wearing matching bandanas of his merch for that cycle. After one of his televised performances, she sent him a picture of the twins watching him attentively. The picture promptly became his new lock screen. Luna joined in the fun by sending a picture of her stomach with, ‘JiYong-Samchon! FIGHTING!!’ written on it.

He was on Radio Star? Jodi called in and nagged him about not taking the trash out and leaving the toilet seat up.

He had fan meetings? She went to as many of them as she could and cheered obnoxiously loud.

A signing event? She waited in line at one to get an autograph and acted like a fan girl when she got in front of him. At another, she stayed with him for two hours as his personal assistant. Wiping his brow, handing him fresh sharpies, and massaging his hand between signatures.

A promotional performance? She had a shoot, so she couldn’t watch it. Instead, she waited for him outside, just so that she could hold up a sign that read, ‘GD-oppa! Can I have a ride home?’ Jodi rode with him to the YG building, then took a cab back to her house. All in an attempt to spend a few quiet moments with her husband. They were few and far between with all of his appearances, but she made it work with Jason taking some of the easier shoots.

The best occasion, in his opinion, was when she showed up at a M Countdown recording. Filming ground to a halt when a piece of the set broke, so he had an abundance of down time. He was bored out of his mind and losing patience with the hovering staff when Jodi breezed in unannounced. She spoke to MinJung briefly, then took JiYong away. They didn’t go far, just to her car.

She had it parked in a darkened corner of the underground garage. She had laid the back seats down and filled the area with pillows and a plush blanket. Jodi then proceeded to pamper him. She fed him by hand from a bento box (heavy on the eel), and wiped his mouth for him. To relax him further, and to not mess up his impeccable hair and makeup, she gave him an enthusiastic . Jodi then flatly refused all offers of reciprocation. She wrapped the pampering session by tucking him in for a nap and rubbing his back soothingly.

Many remarked on how relaxed he was when it was time for him to go back on stage.


 

* * * * *


 

For their 15th WGM episode, all of the couples got together and attended a Doosan Bears baseball game. None of them were passionate fans of the game, but knew enough to follow along. They talked amongst themselves during the boring bits and cheered when the rest of the crowd did.

The ‘Kiss Cam’ swung their way during the 6th inning. The other couples placed chaste, polite kisses on each others cheeks when they saw themselves on the jumbotrons. JiYong and Jodi, of course, did not follow this pattern. Jodi was mid-sentence when JiYong grabbed her collar and kissed her hard. The crowd cheered louder for them than they did for any play on the field.


 

* * * * *


 

At the end of JiYong’s promotional cycle, YoungBae’s finally began. Finally he could stand in the crowd and cheer for his friend again. With pushing from President Yang, it was decided that JiYong and YoungBae would use ‘Stay with Me’ as their joint performance to get the ball rolling.

They were at practice two days before the showcase, running through choreography while Yang looked on. Everyone stopped for a break, but YoungBae just kept going. He was so wrapped up in the music that he failed to see his phone buzzing near the mirrors. He failed to notice it four more times until a dancer brought it to his attention. YoungBae glanced at his phone quickly, then raised his brow when he saw the calls were all from his mother. His hands shook when he dialed. SulMi tried to say it soothingly and not incite panic, but the words ‘Luna’, ‘stairs’, and ‘fall’ were all he needed to hear before hanging up.

JiYong watched the color drain out of YoungBae’s face from the other side of the room and rushed to his side. “What’s wrong?”

“She . . . fell,” YoungBae responding, sounding as dazed as he looked. “Luna fell. Down the stairs.”

“Is she okay?!” he asked. When YoungBae didn’t answer fast enough, JiYong shook his shoulder and asked the more unpleasant question. “Is the baby okay?”

“I don’t know,” the singer said quietly. He looked around with a confused expression then ran his hands through his hair. “I have to go.”

JiYong nodded and rubbed YoungBae on the shoulder. “Call me as soon as you know something.”

YoungBae nodded distractedly and jogged over to get his bag and keys. Before he could get out of the door he heard, “Where are you going?”

YoungBae bowed to him quickly then pushed his bag higher on his shoulder. “It’s my wife, sajangnim. I have to go check on her.”

“I’m sure it can wait until after practice,” Yang said in a voice that JiYong could only describe as dismissive. A hush fell over the studio as all heads turned in their direction to watch the byplay.

The singer looked off to the side for a moment and bit the inside of his cheek. Then he spoke slowly. “I just received a call that my pregnant wife has fallen down the stairs. I need to make sure she’s okay.” He bowed again and took a step back.

Yang crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back on the bench. “So you were just on the phone?”

YoungBae closed his eyes and responded calmly. “Yes.”

“You didn’t ask then?”

“Sajangnim, that was my mother on the phone. I need to see about my wife.”

“You need to practice and make sure that your stages are perfect for the showcase,” the president countered. JiYong in a breath and he could see the anger flash across YoungBae’s face. The singer's fist clenched on the strap of his bag and everyone could see him visibly struggling to keep his cool.

“Sajangnim,” he began in a measured tone. “There isn’t any choreography for ‘Eyes, Nose, Lips’ or ‘Stay With Me’. I have been practicing ‘1AM’ for months and I can do it in my sleep. My wife, the woman who is carrying my child, and is having a difficult pregnancy, has fallen down the stairs. I will be back tomorrow for the wardrobe fitting. Excuse me.”

Before YoungBae could bow yet again, Yang stood and calmly smoothed the creases in his jeans. “It’s unprofessional, YoungBae-ah, to put your family before your career.”

“I thought YG was my family,” the singer shot back immediately. “And family understands how important family is.” He gave the company president a last hard look and turned away. YoungBae bowed to the captivated audience and walked out the door.

Yang reached behind himself and grabbed his jacket from the seat. The older man laid it over his arm slowly, and with a grossly unhappy look on his face, he turned to JiYong. “Come see me in my office.”

JiYong nodded his head, grabbed his things and followed.


 

* * * * *


 

It was well after midnight and JiYong found himself still in the studio. Jodi was out of town doing a shoot and he didn’t relish going home to a silent apartment. He had his phone lying on his lap as he spun in slow circles, thinking through lyrics he had been working on throughout the day. When it buzzed, it scared him.


 

YB: Sorry for not texting. Luna’s fine. She has a nasty bruise on her arm, but she and the baby are both okay.

Ji: Good!!!!!!! Thanx for letting me know.

Ji: Kiss her for me.

YB: She’s asleep, but I will when she wakes up.

Ji: 


 

JiYong set the phone down, then immediately picked it back up.


 

Ji: How are you?

YB: Good. You?

Ji: I can spot a lie, even via text.


 

He twirled his phone on the desk and waited for a response. After four minutes, none came.


 

Ji: I’m coming.


 

* * * * *


 

After closing the door to his car quietly, JiYong zipped his jacket and headed for the front door. The sound of bouncing made him change his direction. He walked around the side of the house and found his best friend dribbling a basketball from one hand to the other endlessly.

“Hey,” JiYong called, not wanting to spook him.

“Hey,” YoungBae called back with no surprise in his voice. He didn’t look up, nor did he stop dribbling.

“The yard looks great.”

“Thanks. I'm prepping the area back there for bulbs,” YoungBae responded with his eyes still on the ball. JiYong was both amazed and confused by his friends newfound love for horticulture.

JiYong watched him for long minutes with his hands in his pockets. When he could stand the silence no more, he approached, waited, and stole the ball at the right moment. He tossed the ball between his hands then tucked it under his arm. “Talk to me, Bae-yah.”

YoungBae put his hands up eventually, signaling for JiYong to pass the ball back. JiYong did. The singer let it roll around in his palm, taking time to choose his words. “I like to think that I’m a patient man. An easygoing man. I work hard at everything I do and have busted my since I joined that company. I did everything he asked me to for years. ‘Just a little longer, YoungBae.’ ‘It’ll be your turn again soon.’ ‘Now isn’t the right time, Bae-yah.’ ‘Just be patient a little longer.'

“But now. Now I do something for me. I do something selfish. I take something without him offering. I dare to be happy without his say so, and he’s punishing me for it.” YoungBae spiked the ball hard and watched it bounce away. He crossed his arms over his chest and took deep breaths through his nose. “My relationship with Luna getting outed feels like a blessing more than a ‘scandal’, because I was able to date her publicly and marry her with little fuss. The fans that left have come back for the most part. They’re happy for me. My family is happy for me. My friends are happy for me. I’m happy. The one person w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter